• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: "I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Relix said:
Japan has hit a creative slump. Hell just watch the shit anime coming out from there. There's always an exception but otherwise they are stuck. I know GAF loves their niche games, but game making is a business after all and with niche games only a small company will live. The weird, strange ones that many seem fascinated to but ultimately are just bad games. Still, emulating the West is not the way to go. That will soon crash. Japan has to get those creative juices again and start making good, worthwhile stuff once more, like they did in the past.

I think the industry on the whole is in a creative slump.

ASIS

Japan has been behind compared to previous gens. But they are still alive and kicking. Also, why is Nintendo always excluded from other Japanese games? It's not like they are the only successful ones out there.

C-Jo

Vamphuntr said:
Case Zero sold very well http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65500

Might not translate into sales of the full game though. It certainly is launching close to Reach...
This isn't a comment on the quality of Dead Rising 2 because I enjoyed Case Zero quite a bit. But I think DR2 will sell pretty well, regardless of quality, based solely on the fans the series earned from the first game. The real question to me would be how well DR3 sells.

I find it really sad that key franchises are now handled by western developers, franchises like Silent Hill, DmC, Dead Rising and Castlevania. It seems like Konami and Capcom are open to partnerships of this kind. at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to other key franchises as well.

jman2050

Nintendo-4Life said:
Japan has been behind compared to previous gens. But they are still alive and kicking. Also, why is Nintendo always excluded from other Japanese games? It's not like they are the only successful ones out there.

A) Nintendo is on another plane of existence that surpasses East vs West nonsense, all hail Nintendo!

B) You have to ignore Nintendo to make the East vs West narrative work without having a gigantic wrench thrown in

C) Nintendo only makes stupid casual crap nowadays. It's not like they make games anymore, so why talk about them?

Take your pick.

Calcaneus

I AM JOHN! said:
The Capcom hatred that's been bouncing around here recently is ridiculous, but man alive, Inafune sure is dumb.
I've been slowly turning around on Capcom lately, but I can't completely hate them because they put out SFIV. I think that's the only truly great thing they did this gen. Well, that and the Bionic Commando remake.

Compare that to last gen, where nearly ever other Japanese game I have for the PS2 is a legitimately awesome Capcom game. They really have fallen from the top for me.

thetrin said:
I think the industry on the whole is in a creative slump.

Gal Gun says otherwise...

PEW PEW PEW! into girls crotches! What more could you ask for?

Honestly, I think we need a new medium for control. I find myself getting bored with games easier just because it all feels like deja vu. Sony has the right idea, but I don't think Move will be that evolution.

StuBurns

Banned
Nintendo-4Life said:
He said people were making awful games, not unsuccessful games. And he was talking about TGS, which Nintendo was absent from.

Nintendo-4Life said:

And if there were 10 more successful developers in Japan, they would all be "exceptions". This is the perception of this generation and it will take another gen dominated by Japanese games to fix that.

Grecco

Really suprised about the Capcom hate. The bulk of their work this gen has been very good. Most of their stinekrs have been western developed (Bionic Comando, Dark Void). RE5, SF, Tatsunoku v Capcoc, Dead Rising , LP all good.

Also really doubt he meant ALL developers. People need to relax some.

force jappa devs to take their stunted sexuality out of the games they design

a moratorium on short skirts and stockings would be nice

FrankT

“Japanese developers tend to work on inspiration, not so much on a set time schedule like the Americans,” Mr. Mikami said in an interview. “So when EA asked about the game month after month, we felt like loan sharks were coming after us.”

:lol

Anyhow, interesting article to say the least.

randomkid

Guess this is sort of off-topic, but maybe it'll shed some light on the current state of Japanese game announcements. Anyone know where I can find a good list of all the new game announcements at TGS? Here's what I could come up with, anything I'm missing?

Shadow of the Damned
My Garden
Project Dark
Asura’s Wrath
Devil May Cry
Dead Rising 2: Case West
Ico Collection
Valkyria 3
Rise of Nightmares
Haunt
Codename D
Project Draco
Steel Batallion: Heavy Armor
Fire-Pro Wrestling
Radiant Silvergun
Ninja Gaiden 3
Gal Gun
Phantasy Star Online 2
Dynasty Warriors 7

Updated a bit. Thanks!

StuBurns

Banned
randomkid said:
Guess this is sort of off-topic, but maybe it'll shed some light on the current state of Japanese game announcements. Anyone know where I can find a good list of all the new game announcements at TGS? Here's what I could come up with, anything I'm missing?

Shadow of the Damned
My Garden
Project Dark
Asura’s Wrath
Devil May Cry
Dead Rising 2: Case West
Ico Collection
Valkyria 3
Rise of Nightmares
Haunt
Codename D
Project Draco
Steel Batallion: Heavy Armor
Fire-Pro Wrestling
Radiant Silvergun
Ninja Gaiden 3
Gal Gun
PSO2 too

I would love to know what Mikami, Kamiya and Inaba really think of Inafune at this point. It's not hard to guess but a late night drinking session with them would be quite intriguing to say the least.

Drinky Crow said:
force jappa devs to take their stunted sexuality out of the games they design

a moratorium on short skirts and stockings would be nice
drinky once again assuming every japanese game is like the japanese games he favours

Desi

Relix said:
Japan has hit a creative slump. Hell just watch the shit anime coming out from there. There's always an exception but otherwise they are stuck. I know GAF loves their niche games, but game making is a business after all and with niche games only a small company will live. The weird, strange ones that many seem fascinated to but ultimately are just bad games. Still, emulating the West is not the way to go. That will soon crash. Japan has to get those creative juices again and start making good, worthwhile stuff once more, like they did in the past.
all of japan has to watch Adventure Time.

Kusagari

C-Jo said:
This isn't a comment on the quality of Dead Rising 2 because I enjoyed Case Zero quite a bit. But I think DR2 will sell pretty well, regardless of quality, based solely on the fans the series earned from the first game. The real question to me would be how well DR3 sells.

You could have said the same thing about Lost Planet.

randomkid

Segata Sanshiro said:
drinky once again assuming every japanese game is like the japanese games he favours

Heh, yeah, so far I can count maybe two or three games max on my list that feature short skirts and stockings.

Then again, Gal Gun probably counts for bonus points or something.

The most important quotes in the article:

Global sales numbers for the entire industry are hard to come by. But Japan’s share of the world’s video game market, both hardware and software, has fallen to slightly more than 10 percent in 2009, from estimates as high as 50 percent in 2002, based on figures from the Entertainment Software Association, the Japan External Trade Organization, and the research companies DFC Intelligence and Enterbrain.

But because the best-selling games on Nintendo consoles are largely made by Nintendo, the rest of the Japanese game industry has been excluded from that action.

Meanwhile, Japan’s domestic game market is shrinking, down by 20 percent since 2007, to 549 billion yen ($6.4 billion) in 2009, according to Enterbrain.

During that time, the market in the United States surged to a record $21.4 billion in 2008 before a recession-driven decline to $19.7 billion in 2009. But that was still a total increase of 10 percent over two years for the American market, according to NPD.

As Japanese development studios struggle with declining sales, analysts say they are falling behind their American rivals in sheer investment power. A budget for a blockbuster game in the United States can approach $50 million, a figure few Japanese developers can now match.

There's a real problem for Japanese game development. They better adapt/innovate or they will die.

Calcaneus said:
I've been slowly turning around on Capcom lately, but I can't completely hate them because they put out SFIV. I think that's the only truly great thing they did this gen. Well, that and the Bionic Commando remake.

Compare that to last gen, where nearly ever other Japanese game I have for the PS2 is a legitimately awesome Capcom game. They really have fallen from the top for me.
They certainly haven't been the same since they axed Clover, but there's a ton of awesome still coming out of Capcom, even if you ignore all the incredibly smart people who realize how awesome Bionic Commando is. All the Ace Attorney sequels have been ace (pun completely intended), Ghost Trick looks completely awesome, Age of Booty is really cool, they've basically single-handedly brought fighting games back with two incredibly quality games and a third in the running for game of the forever, and Dead Rising is one of the best things to come out of this console cycle.

Besides, it's not like Capcom was consistent quality last generation either. Am I the only one who remembers bullshit like Darkwatch, Under the Skin, Devil Kings, Chaos Legion, Final Fight Streetwise, Beat Down, Gotcha Force or how they tried to bury Red Dead Revolver?

charsace

To me he's right. I've played less Japanese console games this gen than I have in any other. The last big japanese game I bought (FF13) was uninspired garbage. Japan needs to something. Maybe take the handheld devs and let them work on some console games?

randomkid said:
Heh, yeah, so far I can count maybe two or three games max on my list that feature short skirts and stockings.

Then again, Gal Gun probably counts for bonus points or something.
drinky loves moe, but hates himself for loving moe

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
charsace said:
To me he's right. I've played less Japanese console games this gen than I have in any other. The last big japanese game I bought (FF13) was uninspired garbage. Japan needs to something. Maybe take the handheld devs and let them work on some console games?

You say that like a lot of them can afford to easily. Not every Japanese developer/publisher is Square-Enix/Capcom/Nintendo

Aaron

Kusagari said:
You could have said the same thing about Lost Planet.
Lost Planet 2 chucked away much of what gave the original its charm. Going by Case Zero, DR2 hasn't made the same mistake.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
153037.jpg

Wallach

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment but Inafune seems like a guy who is only capable of extremes (extreeeeeme). It's reflected in Capcom's current business methodology. Instead of more carefully examining and considering which elements of Western development to really incorporate they just seem to be rushing it and throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. I guess Capcom's always done things a bit in that same manner but I wish someone a little more conservative would keep this line of thinking more in check on their end.

HAY GUYZ LETS PLAY SPOT THE WEEABOO

These people clearly agree with Inafune:

f3.jpg
poison-avatar2.jpg
2mp0tpu.gif
PxzMp.jpg
k2tAT.gif
117wsxg.gif
x22t1j.jpg
Tkogw.gif
116i4xy.gif
213ltl4.jpg
39539824.png
2gtueyp.jpg
i77yc0.png

These people clearly disagree with Inafune:

2u81m.gif
30c1w77.jpg
beyeec.png
61Bur.jpg
A47Dd.png
AkioAvatar.jpg
x0wdon.jpg
4vILj.jpg
3yiyp.jpg
main_logo.jpg
KuwabaraAV1.png
pokemonBW.jpg
bearheavyiscredittogaf.png
stell.jpg
2ege9o2.png
cellavatar.jpg
2evdy5s.jpg
ToroGaf1.jpg
331ogmf.gif
comics_hobbes-tail.gif
BOWQu.png
jv165j.jpg
FireEmblemAV.png
main_logo.jpg
th_christxmega58-1.gif

Bonus oversized avatars from the 'disagree' crowd:

090130_joes.jpg

7256_v.gif

alucard3.jpg

I tried to eliminate Capcom-specific discussion as best as I could. Let me know if I'm wrong about any of these.

Finaika said:
Moe is killing the Japanese industry.
I buy tons of Japanese games and only ever run into moe in Etrian Odyssey. Maybe the real problem is that you guys can't admit you have creepy child-related fetishes and thus seek out this kind of art? tsk tsk

Funny how one minute you are god then a minute later you are a piece of crap. Last year Gaf called Capcom CapGod (I think?) and now it's Crapcom :lol

gdt

Exclamation-One said:

I tried to eliminate Capcom-specific discussion as best as I could. Let me know if I'm wrong about any of these.

I see what you did there...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah well, TLG and GT5 are five years ahead of everything else, even if he's right that other stuff is five years behind.

charsace said:

Why would they want to do that? The handheld divisions are the profitable ones, by and large.

graywolf323

Exclamation-One said:

Bonus oversized avatars from the 'disagree' crowd:

I kinda break the trend you were going for given my icon is from the best American comic strip ever written by Bill Watterson who is from Ohio

StuBurns

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
You've got me in the 'agree' category when I should be in the 'disagree' category. Also my avatar is a Japanese dude so lololprollyaweeaboo
Who is that guy? I always find him strangely comforting. Reminds me of the sheriff in Twin Peaks for some reason.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Segata Sanshiro said:
I buy tons of Japanese games and only ever run into moe in Etrian Odyssey. Maybe the real problem is that you guys can't admit you have creepy child-related fetishes and thus seek out this kind of art? tsk tsk
This is what I think about such people. :lol

Top Bottom