• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This game is going to be the weakest mainline game.

Is there any chance it will be worse than Sun/Moon? I didn't play Sun/Moon, and my sense is that, at worst, these games will be a disappointingly small expansion of those. I could see it reviewing really poorly if it's essentially a re-release, but I can't imagine it being worse. Is there something to suggest that, in isolation, it'll be weaker than S/M?

Giga Man

Is that a legit method then? Never tried that in a game.

That's how I beat Red, Silver, LeafGreen, and SoulSilver. It's really easy to steamroll Pokemon games with one Pokemon as long as you never run from encounters and fight all trainers. I didn't do it in Sapphire because double battles, but I did it again in the Gen 1/2 remakes for old time's sake.

This game is going to be the weakest mainline game.
2YFfur1.gif

I found it one of the best games for a first playthrough
And an incredible annoying one for every playthrough after that. The amount of handholding and cutscenes all the time never fail to stop me from repeating them.

I'm sure the way people play Pokémon games also influences their perception of it. You, for example, replay the games, whereas I treat Pokémon games as a single 400 hour career that only concludes when the next game arrives.

My favorites are still gen I/II/IV, but SM has a special place in my heart. Maybe it's my "honorable mention" game, if that makes sense.

Atheerios

I bet USUM won't sell more than 8 million due to it being this late on the 3DS lifetime, being just an enhances version of SM and the already announced Switch game.

For comparison, every other Pokemon game on 3DS has sold more than 13 million.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wasn't a big fan of Sun and Moon...but...

WE ARE CURRENTLY IN A CODE RED HYPE ALERT! I REPEAT! CODE RED HYPE ALERT!

Even if a Pokemon game turns out to suck I'm not gonna lie, I always get excited when this happens.

Sandfox

I bet USUM won't sell more than 8 million due to it being this late on the 3DS lifetime, being just an enhances version of SM and the already announced Switch game.

For comparison, every other Pokemon game on 3DS has sold more than 13 million.

The "3rd versions" all tend to sell around that number.

Giga Man

I'm sure the way people play Pokémon games also influences their perception of it. You, for example, replay the games, whereas I treat Pokémon games as a single 400 hour career that only concludes when the next game arrives.

My favorites are still gen I/II/IV, but SM has a special place in my heart. Maybe it's my "honorable mention" game, if that makes sense.

I usually play them once, too, but recently I've been getting... should I say... overhyped? I end up liking the games too much that I end up playing buying the other version. This happened with X&Y, ORAS, and now SuMo. I'm never buying both versions of Pokemon again.

Just beat Moon and honestly what I mainly want is LESS story. This was better than X/Y but they need to just stop trying. Especially in cases like Moon where the constant cutscenes interrupt the gameplay too much.

Also the games need to stop being so easy (except for what felt like a slight difficulty spike at the E4). I stopped fighting wild Pokemon at like the 1/4th point and I still was over leveled for literally every encounter in the game up till the end.

I wouldn't call it rubbish, definitely their best campaign to date, it just fell into the same traps as X/Y did with difficulty curves and locking interesting mechanics to an otherwise barren post game.

I would call it one of the worst campaigns so far. Trials and challenges were a neat idea, but hugely underdeveloped and not a patch on gyms.

RockmanBN

I thought most people thought sun and moon were the refresh the series has been needing?
It ended up being my least favorite. As everyone complained, cutscenes were every couple of hundred feet. Game held your ahand throughout a majority of the game. Kids have been able to play the older generations without all this unstoppable hand holding.

PSS system was removed for the horrible Plaza. Horde battles removed due to the addition of player models in battle which has shown EV training. Hyper Training at level 100 is too tedious because they brought back the XP system from BW. Game performance was mediocre even with a New 3DS. For me the design of the world was very hallway like and and also there's been a lack of alternate routes and dungeons/caves.

I'm feel very pessimistic about this title and hope that this is a huge improvement over the last game.

Aleh

Just beat Moon and honestly what I mainly want is LESS story. This was better than X/Y but they need to just stop trying. Especially in cases like Moon where the constant cutscenes interrupt the gameplay too much.

Also the games need to stop being so easy (except for what felt like a slight difficulty spike at the E4). I stopped fighting wild Pokemon at like the 1/4th point and I still was over leveled for literally every encounter in the game up till the end.

I didn't use the Exp. Share on my first playthrough and found the game to be pretty challenging and surely the hardest one yet. Totem Lurantis, Totem Mimikkyu, the last Guzma battle, the last Lusamine battle and the Kukui battle were very tough for Pokémon standards. I agree they could add difficulty options but I find it weird this complaint is so prevalent in these particular entries.

And I personally want them to do even more with the story, I could just skip to playing online otherwise. They just need to handle the way they spread out the cutscenes better, leaving more lengthy sections where you're free instead of interrupting you often. It's a matter of how, not a matter of quantity, from my point of view. The lore in Pokémon is one of the best things about this series for me and they can do a lot of cool stuff with it during the main campaigns, as shown in SM.

But not having the national dex at all is a terrible change.

Yeah it didn't make any sense excluding it from SM.

I found it one of the best games for a first playthrough
And an incredible annoying one for every playthrough after that. The amount of handholding and cutscenes all the time never fail to stop me from repeating them.

Completely agree. I freakin' love SM but trying to play through it again is a chore and a half. Why is there no option to skip tutorials in a series with so many entries? A some point there are enough older players that dont want to sit through the shit.

Wichu

PSS system was removed for the horrible Plaza. Horde battles removed due to the addition of player models in battle which has shown EV training. Hyper Training at level 100 is too tedious because they brought back the XP system from BW. Game performance was mediocre even with a New 3DS. For me the design of the world was very hallway like and and also there's been a lack of alternate routes and dungeons/caves.

Don't forget the removal of triple and rotation battles. Those modes were awesome.

On the other hand, I like that they brought back the Join Avenue shops from B2/W2. It's really easy to level up to 100 with a 5* Rare Kitchen and a couple of Rare Candies - if you grab the rewards for each Global Mission, you can easily level up a bunch of Pokémon without putting in much time in the Plaza.

Poké Pelago is also great for EV training. I don't care if I have to wait a day or two if it means I can spend a couple of minutes just setting exact numbers, leave my 3DS alone for a while, and come back to an EV trained team.

Finally, the ability to view IVs/EVs from the PC is a godsend. Not having to laboriously check with the IV judge for each Pokémon is such a timesaver.

I thought most people thought sun and moon were the refresh the series has been needing?

I don't think SM was bad, but I wouldn't call it a refresh. In practice, Trials aren't terribly different from Gyms, and in some instances (Electric, Dragon) actually have less to them.

At least the game was noticeably harder than XY, which was appreciated.

iFirez

Less than an hour? (+30 or so depending on where the segment in the show is) Sweet I'll stick around and wait for the news! I'm guessing It'l be Lycanroc related because of that CoroCoro cover but let's see.

Link_enfant

I actually wish for 60fps (on New 3DS/2DS, maybe not for double battles and battle royale though) and the removal of the worst thing Game Freak ever made, Shiny Lock.

I can only dream though, so I'm expecting one or two new Alolan forms just for the sake of giving news to the fans before the release.

I'm actually pretty confident about USUM, if it's something like Black/White 2 they'll be great, but I'm always afraid about Game Freak and their weird ideas/decisions.

Less than an hour? (+30 or so depending on where the segment in the show is) Sweet I'll stick around and wait for the news! I'm guessing It'l be Lycanroc related because of that CoroCoro cover but let's see.

pretty sure the show will be an hour long like the older versions of the pokemon talk show thing, but I could be wrong

pretty sure the show will be an hour long like the older versions of the pokemon talk show thing, but I could be wrong
Nah, this version only runs for 30 mins.

Can't find a stream. I don't think anyone is bothering lol. We'll find out from Japanese viewers on twitter regardless.

Black and White 2 is probably the best Pokemon game and I say that as someone who enjoyed most of the Pokemon design concepts but HATED the general aesthetic which the world, the NPCs, and the Pokemon themselves adhered to.

I'm not expecting much out of this game, but who knows. There's a couple of things they could do to pull me back in - gym leaders (isn't that a given if this game takes place after Sun and Moon?), a sense of agency (or in other words not having my hand held the entire game) and reason to explore that agency... and another region. I don't care if it's as small as Diamond and Pearl's post-game island. Without all of that shit, the game will disappoint me.

Keinning

Black and White 2 is probably the best Pokemon game and I say that as someone who enjoyed most of the Pokemon design concepts but HATED the general aesthetic which the world, the NPCs, and the Pokemon themselves adhered to.

I'm not expecting much out of this game, but who knows. There's a couple of things they could do to pull me back in - gym leaders (isn't that a given if this game takes place after Sun and Moon?), a sense of agency (or in other words not having my hand held the entire game) and reason to explore that agency... and another region. I don't care if it's as small as Diamond and Pearl's post-game island. Without all of that shit, the game will disappoint me.

Really doubt they're going to have the effort of adding another region. Expect one or two new alola islands, and even that i'm doubting as well.

Top Bottom