• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

I have a worry that USUM will be the least substation of the 3rd version/sequel games. Its the only one that is coming out only a year after the originals right?

Robin64

BW is pretty good, but BW2 is the real gem from gen 5. Easy contender for best game in the series.

I didn't finish White til White 2 was out, and at that time I wasn't really ready for "more of the same". Is it really that much better? I have White 2, I just never played it, I could start it next after my Heart Gold run (which is nearly done).

Keinning

I have a worry that USUM will be the least substation of the 3rd version/sequel games. Its the only one that is coming out only a year after the originals right?

I'd be really surprised (and disappointed) if it had less new content than Yellow. Specially because they're doing a "split" third version.

Besides SM looked like it had tons of content cut before release. Maybe they will put it in USM

Really doubt they're going to have the effort of adding another region. Expect one or two new alola islands, and even that i'm doubting as well.

That's way better than nothing.

Say what you want about Gen 2 and 3's post-games, but Gen 4's post-game had the most feeling to it. You just conquered the Pokemon League, and find out there's an entire diverse island of people looking to challenge even greater heights, the good ol' fashioned way. That shit was just wow. The 10 or so hours I spent on that island in Platinum were bar none the best ten hours I've ever had with a Pokemon game. I played Gold and Silver as a kid; D/P/Pl's post-game trumps even that for me.

ffdgh

I didn't finish White til White 2 was out, and at that time I wasn't really ready for "more of the same". Is it really that much better? I have White 2, I just never played it, I could start it next after my Heart Gold run (which is nearly done).

Still has some of the best side stuff/postgame after all this time. Too bad there's no way to do memory link stuff now without 2 DS on hand.

Balb

It's a lot better than BW. A lot more wild Pokemon variety and better post-game stuff to do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sun and Moon were the best games in the series.

Black 2/White 2 were an incredible re do of a pretty good gen.

I'm very optimistic about Ultra Sun/Moon.

Smasher89

BW2 were the best games of the recent 4 ones, Sun and moon feels mostly like a setup(plotwise, the creativity for the vgc format is the best in many years) for Ultra, so hopefully Ultra is aimed at the core pokemon players and not the "old newcomers" that it felt like SM was.
Anyone knows a place where this will be streamed btw?

Nothing wrong with B/W. The sequel was a bit much for me, but I loved the first ones.
B/W (and specially B/W 2) are regarded as great games even by people who dislike the pokemon designs from gen V

That dude is just bonkers
BW is one of my favorite gens. Didn't play it until 2 years ago. Though my favorites in order are 2 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 6 > 7
Gen 5 is my favorite as a whole. Best content, best Pokemon.
BW is pretty good, but BW2 is the real gem from gen 5. Easy contender for best game in the series.
Oops well this is awkward! I meant okay as in "okayish" hehe. But I'm really happy that you guys enjoyed it! Everyone should have a favorite Pokémon game. Especially since we have so many of them now.

It just wasn't for me that much. Maybe I played it at the wrong time. B2/W2 did help a bit more though!

G/S and HG/SS will forever be my number one though.

Maxinas

Sun and Moon was disappointing for me. All the hype leading up to it made my expectations go off the charts, and once i played through the game i was left with a empty feeling. Only Pokemon game that i played less than 100 hours in. Hopefully US/UM can pull me back in.

Sandfox

All I'm expecting is Lycanroc which will look like a combination of the two other forms, but with green eyes as we have seen.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sun and Moon was disappointing for me. All the hype leading up to it made my expectations go off the charts, and once i played through the game i was left with a empty feeling. Only Pokemon game that i played less than 100 hours in. Hopefully US/UM can pull me back in.

This was me.

On the other hand many of the actual Pokemon quickly became favorites, so I'd love some creative spin-off titles. I also enjoy the S/M anime, it's different but a refreshing take on the formula.

tauroxd

Is there any chance they could surprise release this on Nintendo Switch?

Why on earth woudl they do that when there is a new mainline Pokémon game announced for the Switch and people are still having problems to find a Switch.

If you want to have millions of sales, the millions that Pokémon is used to, you need to have a lot of consoles on the market, and Nintendo has that on the 3DS. I assume the new Sitch game will come at late 2018 or very early 2019 wich will mean that there will be a whole lot of Switch for the game to sell the usual crazy millions that Pokémon pull.

And OMG how is people shitting on BW? BW and B2W2 are in my opinion the pinacle of Pokémon. I really liked XY and SM but they didn't reach the levels of the BW games.

Crayolan

BW2 dials back the story stuff from BW, but it improves in every other area:
-Much bigger regional dex with some really good choices, even from early on
-Lots of new areas with really good multilayered map design
-The best gyms in the series, by far
-Generally higher difficulty, further improved by challenge mode (unfortunately, you can't play challenge mode without getting help from someone with an already-beaten copy of Black 2. Personally I use emulators for replays to get around this)
-Probably the biggest postgame in the series. It's either this or HGSS
-Pokemon World Tournament which lets you fight all the gym leaders and champions from gens 1-5.

LotusHD

Banned
Is there any chance it will be worse than Sun/Moon?

Maybe if they feature Lillie less or something? I dunno lol

Doubt it'll be worse, but don't see myself being thinking it's clearly better either.

I thought most people thought sun and moon were the refresh the series has been needing?

It was (Vocal minorities and what not), but they can always do better of course, especially regarding several QoL stuff. Pokemon is one of those franchises where you just can't help but picture all the ways as to how you feel the franchise could improve their mainline games.

Well I found a stream but it's a guy streaming himself watching it so he's probably not going to stop talking. He's currently looking on 4chan and other random things.

The source he's watching it from is also over capacity right now so might get booted before it starts. So there's no point linking it yet.

Infinite

It's obviously a new form for Lycanroc. Rockruff is seen on the verge of evolving during a twilight of some sort in the preview of the next episode and both other forms are already featured in the anime, it would make no sense to evolve into one of them too.

Hopefully that's not the only reveal though, we've been starving for new info
Hopefully it gets a fucking ground move

BW2 dials back the story stuff from BW, but it improves in every other area:
-Much bigger regional dex with some really good choices, even from early on
-Lots of new areas with really good multilayered map design
-The best gyms in the series, by far
-Generally higher difficulty, further improved by challenge mode (unfortunately, you can't play challenge mode without getting help from someone with an already-beaten copy of Black 2. Personally I use emulators for replays to get around this)
-Probably the biggest postgame in the series. It's either this or HGSS
-Pokemon World Tournament which lets you fight all the gym leaders and champions from gens 1-5.
This right here is why I'm thinking if they assemble that team again for USUM, we might have quite possibly the best games in the series. B2W2 have unfortunately aged due to the massive improvements that the switch to 3D made and the lack of internet connection after WFC stopped existing, but are still really high up on my list.

I'm trying to not get too excited, so I'm just picturing a Blue-level change with some flowers and Guzma gets a new hat.

CazTGG

This was me.

On the other hand many of the actual Pokemon quickly became favorites, so I'd love some creative spin-off titles. I also enjoy the S/M anime, it's different but a refreshing take on the formula.

Speaking of, it's been close to a year since they came out. Any chance of a RTTP: Gen VII or are you holding out to see if Ultra brings us more besides new forms?

iFirez

So when is Pokemon finally going to go into space. It's coming
I mean we've been to space:
11-rayquaza-space.jpg

But I'd totally dig a space based Pokemon game.

-Horizon-

Huh, I guess I can see why some are saying sun and moon weren't the jump they were hoping for. I don't think these upcoming ones will be any jumps either then.
I think it'll have to be whatever is coming to the switch.

Also 5 minutes to go?

So when is Pokemon finally going to go into space. It's coming

One of the playground lies I heard during the heyday of the first generation was that you could go to the moon. It was accessed by bringing Bill in Cerulean all the Moon Stones in the game. He would then comment on your shared interest in celestial travel and lead you to an experimental teleporter behind his house.

When you teleported to the moon, it was essentially a cave maze. Inside you would find lots of Jigglypuff and Clefairy at high levels. You couldn't Fly, Dig, or ride your bike and Escape Ropes would fail, so once you were there, you were stuck on foot until you made it all the way through.

At the center/exit of the moon maze was, of course, Mew.

This idea of this quest has always stayed with me. I don't know why. I think it's because it's one of the few childhood lies that was built on atmosphere rather than process. The idea of a moon cave swarmed with Clefairy and a complex maze you have no choice but to push through was fascinating and inspiring to my child's mind.

I would love to see something like that someday, but you know when we eventually do, it will be a small patch with nothing to explore and some cover legendary.

Everyone just check your expectations. Remember the last time Gaf watched Pokenchi?

All we got was "there will be at least 10 new Pokémon statement" from Masuda and the fandom had a shit storm.

I remember watching something like this back when ORAS was announced. They showed Kyogre and Groudon's models.

I'm expecting basically nothing here too.

They just showed the new form:

tumblr_oe1bazHoQW1rzbi8go1_500.png

Made my day lol. I just want a few details from this. Nothing big. Let me know there will be new Alola forms and even new mega evolutions. Show off the new Lycanroc form. I'm not expecting to actually see much of anything. I'm sure a direct will take place a month or so before the games drop.

Top Bottom