• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my Nintendo Switch battery die faster if I never take it out of the dock?

I'm not sure if I'm in the majority or not on this one, but I use my Nintendo Switch in docked mode probably about 99% of the time. I don't really have a need to take it out of the dock because I never take it anywhere.

My question is, will it kill my battery faster if I never use it and let it discharge and charge on a regular basis? Should I undock it once in awhile to maintain a healthy battery?

Not sure, but if you're truly worried, why not take the battery out while it's docked?

Edit: never mind....old man syndrome hitting in. Can't remove the battery

btrboyev

A battery that is never used regularly will have reduced life compared to one that that has mild to moderate use.

A lot of devices have a smart trickle charge when plugged in, but not sure if that really does much.

If your battery goes to hell(and it will eventually) it's no big deal because you keep it docked mostly anyway.

For the record though. Nintendo batteries have been rock solid for me. My original DS but from 2004 hasn't been charged in nearly a decade and I turned it on last month(without plugging it in) and it still have a decent charge on the battery. It's crazy.

If you never take it out of the dock, does it even matter?

reece.JPG

I'm just thinking ahead.

I MIGHT want to bring it on an airplane or something at some point. I just haven't yet. :)

I don't think batteries really have this issue any more where the pattern you charge/recharge them has an effect on their efficiency.

If you're worried though, it can't hurt to get an external battery just like the external batteries some people have for their cell phones. You could nab one with decent capacity for like $15.

Top Bottom