• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

This is sounding pretty lame so far. The only things I've heard that seem to be real good are the music and art direction and graphics. Like demi said: style, no substance..?

Srider

Banned
duckroll said:
Erm, it's a compliment. Tokimemo games are excellent school life sims. The fact that Persona 3 can emulate even a fraction of it is very commendable. Have you played any? :p

Huh? I'm not sure how you're playing. But I've only spent 3 days in the dungeon and I'm already on the 10th floor. You can still play on if your party is exhausted you know, it's just that if you use a teleporter they'll go home to sleep. The system's very much like any dungeon crawler which encourages you to keep going as long as you can survive. ^^;

You can go as long as you want, but like I said, making your party tired delays the game since you can't go back into the dungeon for the next day or two. When your party is tired, they do less dmg and take more damage, so the incentive is really against you to keep going. I don't see the point of this at all...

duckroll said:
Erm, it's a compliment. Tokimemo games are excellent school life sims. The fact that Persona 3 can emulate even a fraction of it is very commendable. Have you played any? :p

im messed around with one before so i basically know how it works but since i dont know japanese i couldnt have got much out of it anyhwo. id rather it play like an RPG and that there be tokimemo-esque filler points rather than the focus of the game, but i will certianly hold out judgement until i play it.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
This is sounding pretty lame so far. The only things I've heard that seem to be real good are the music and art direction and graphics. Like demi said: style, no substance..?

Stop trolling on SMT holy ground and go back to your XS nest you insect! :lol

Srider

Banned
meltpotato said:
im messed around with one before so i basically know how it works but since i dont know japanese i couldnt have got much out of it anyhwo. id rather it play like an RPG and that there be tokimemo-esque filler points rather than the focus of the game, but i will certianly hold out judgement until i play it.

Tokimeki games are actually fun in the sense that there are actual conversations and events in between characters. The conversations in this game are fairly short, and just feels like a chore. Unlike tokimeki games where you might actually care.

I was hoping that you could manually control all the characters, but if the AI is decent I don't mind.

The social aspects seem really interesting. I wonder if you can go on dates or do other similar stuff as the game progresses?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
dermannmitdemcolt said:
worse. this isn't sounding like Persona at all...

Yeah, that's the feeling I'm getting too. One big random dungeon doesn't sound very exciting. And having no subtitles in the movies is going to be rough for those with poor Japanese listening skills like me.

But the art... so friggen beautiful. Is it bad form to import something just for the art? :lol

P90

There is a community system, I'm guessing it's how familiar you are with your party members. Not sure how this affects the gameplay so far. It doesn't seem like you can control your party members in combat, so you need to check equipments before you enter the dungeons. You actually access skills and menu of your party members in between battle by talking to them. When they level up, they actually speak to you after battle and tells you that they leveled up.

The regular text part sounds very interesting, but the bolded part makes me very hesitant to buy the game. Like Mox said, I want to control the busting of monsters' heads.

demi

Atlus USA treats their games nice, I expect them to do something at least. Didn't Nocturne and DDS have subs?

birdchili

not having individual control of party members defeats one of the best advantages of turn-based combat systems... strange they would make a call like this.

if you have to exit the dungeon because AI-controlled party members are burnt out and you aren't that's going to be irritating. surely the game is going to put you in better control of your resources... SMT:N did this pretty-well, i thought...

again - thanks for the impressions multi-language-capable folks!

FredFish

I'm hoping the "Community" effect becomes more pronounced as the game progresses. Tired of being tired?...spend more time with jocks after school and build stamina. More zing to your casting?...chess club or somesuch.
Not controlling each party member is a potential flaw but I found Guild Wars story arc missions much more challenging and rewarding by using nothing but henchmen. YMMV

LegatoB

This game sounds really hot now. Why must it take so long to come to the US? I don't really like playing complicated RPGs in a language I don't understand if I can avoid it! :lol

Srider

Banned
Although there are no subs in the anime cutscenes...

There are barely any talking in most of them so it's not a big deal. The little bits of speech have so far been pretty easy words, I don't foresee the lack of subs as a potential problem.

Shouta

Someone send me the game, sounds like it's right up my alley. :lol

Oh and Persona stories have a tendency to become very chatty towards the end so if you don't understand Japanese very well, cutscenes might be extremely tough in the main story line I bet.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oh lordy, I could use a new dungeon crawler and dating sim. <3 <3 <3
Two important questions: How difficult would you rate the Japanese, and when it does use a font, how clean is it? Fonts like FFXII's really bothered me for some reason.
I'm not sure how this "doesn't sound like Persona." Persona always had those chunks of talk to your fellow classmates sections, they just seem to have futher developed that part of the game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow, the man so nice, he says it twice!

Hey uh, if any of you guys find yourself not going ooh lah lah right now playing this game, PM me to sell it for bonus nachos.

Tsubaki

You guys are way too kind to TokiMemo.

To be frank, I'm not even sure how it gained a following. It's a stupid stat balancing sim where doing any activity will raise certain attributes and drop others - a thinly veiled math problem.

What should have been its strength are in its characters. But unfortunately, the characters are pretty empty too (except for Sakuma Rei :D :D :D) Conversations are completely superficial: "I like Rock music. How about you?" The only thing you get out of it is a list of likes/dislikes and then you plan date locations accordingly. Wow. What's worse is that conversations never go beyond that superficiality, and there's no continuity from one conversation to the next.

The characters are hollow and the game is shallow.

I'm not a fan of ren'ai sims myself, but some have interested me with their stories and characterization. But TokiMemo is bottom of the barrel.

Srider

Banned
Tsubaki said:

To be frank, I'm not even sure how it gained a following. It's a stupid stat balancing sim where doing any activity will raise certain attributes and drop others - a thinly veiled math problem.

What should have been its strength are in its characters. But unfortunately, the characters are pretty empty too (except for Sakuma Rei :D :D :D) Conversations are completely superficial: "I like Rock music. How about you?" The only thing you get out of it is a list of likes/dislikes and then you plan date locations accordingly. Wow. What's worse is that conversations never go beyond that superficiality, and there's no continuity from one conversation to the next.

I'm not a fan of ren'ai sims myself, but some have interested me with their stories and characterization. But TokiMemo is bottom of the barrel.

I'm not being kind to tokimemo, I'm just saying that tokimemo has a better chance of getting players to care than persona 3 in its school life sim aspects. Anyways, I always believed that tokimemo gained it's popularity the same way that FF7 gained popularity in the US.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Tsubaki said:

What should have been its strength are in its characters. But unfortunately, the characters are pretty empty too (except for Sakuma Rei) Conversations are completely superficial: "I like Rock music. How about you?" The only thing you get out of it is a list of likes/dislikes and then you plan date locations accordingly. Wow. What's worse is that conversations never go beyond that superficiality, and there's no continuity from one conversation to the next.

Well let me ask you this, which ones have you played? I hope that blanket of a statement isn't coming from playing just one game. And besides, the Tokimeki series is good because of its story and atmosphere, not it's ground breaking gameplay. (Although Tokimeki Memorial 2's speech function was pretty interesting)

duckroll said:
That's true! It really, really feels like Tokimeki Memorial at times, which is really awesome. :D
As if there wasn't enough reasons for me to get this game... :D

duckroll

Just got to the end of Golden Week. Junpei's a bastard, I thought he was a true friend and ally, until he introduced me to this stupid "Devil Busters Online" MMORPG shit. So now instead of just having the "sleep" or "study" options at night in my room when I'm not exploring the Tataros (or on holidays if I decide to stay at home), there's now a stupid "NET GAME" option too. To make things worse, it's a community as well, so if you keep "playing" there are benefits, but you really waste a shitload of time. Grrr... that ****er! :lol

Also, I found that there's a burger joint called WILDUCK BURGER, and there's even a silly duck mascot thing inside the joint. The "special set" even came with Duck Fries... ^^; I've figure out that doing certain activities alone (karaoke, eating at places, etc) will boost your Courage, while staying awake in class and reading shit at the library will boost your academic stat. Unfortunately they're all still really low, and I haven't figured out how to improve my Charm yet. I've asked some girls spend time with me but they're all avoiding me like I'm some weirdo. :(

Dungeon-wise the battles can get really interesting. While the loads themselves are really fast and the battles really short, you can make them even shorter once you've memorized the weaknesses of each Shadow. When you damage an enemy with either an elemental weakness or a critical attack, they get into a "down" status which gives that character one more attack. Downed enemies also lost a turn since they have to get up on their next turn. Party members can also be hit with Down if the enemy gets your weakness, which I believe is determined by your equipped Persona. If you manage to Down all enemies in a single turn, you can do a bumrush attack with your entire party that does good damage to every enemy. But you might want to avoid that if you need to heal instead, since you'll be getting a free turn next.

Also interesting is that while the spells of the Persona take up your SP, using the normal attack of a Persona (as opposed to your own weapon attack) takes up HP instead. Also I've unlocked Quests from the Velvet Room where Elizabeth has special requests of items from the Tataros tower, and when you fulfil the requests you get the rewards. Some quests have time limits as well, so you need to complete them by a certain date or they're gone.

The dungeon crawling and school life thing is very well balanced and integrated imo, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It's definitely not a game for everyone since you need to have the patience and acquired taste for dungeon crawlers, and you need to enjoy school life sim stuff. Tsu'll probably hate this game since we keep talking about the differences between games driven purely by gameplay (BoF5 for example), and games that are driven by the overall experience (MGS games).

Persona 3 is definitely one of those experience games for me, since the entire overall atmosphere and the leisurely pace of me choosing and doing what I want and progressing in the directions I want is very enjoyable. If you keep thinking of it as a game and trying to justify everything by stat boosts and gameplay development, you'll probably miss the entire point of the game.

The game is all about a high school students who are also part-time dungeon crawlers at night. So in the morning you'll be going to school, in the evening you might be having ramen with a classmate after school while he tries to nudge more information about your female party member Yuriko out of you since you board together with her, but at night you'll be dungeon crawling and hoping to get the most out of the trip by either hitting the next checkpoint or at least getting some new Persona.

RevenantKioku

O_O
I'm gonna start playing Persona after my FF challenges are over. **** the BoF series.

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
O_O
I'm gonna start playing Persona after my FF challenges are over. **** the BoF series.

Persona 1 and 2 are *very* different from Persona 3 though. While they're both still dungeon crawlers set in an occult modern high school environment, the pacing is radically different. Still, don't let that stop you! Persona rocks! :D

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
Persona 1 and 2 are *very* different from Persona 3 though. While they're both still dungeon crawlers set in an occult modern high school environment, the pacing is radically different. Still, don't let that stop you! Persona rocks! :D
Oh I do know, I've played about 10 hours into the first one, but got distracted and never finished. I'll have to get the P2 that wasn't released over in the states though. What was that, Innocent Sin?

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds cool in kinda a Ryu Ga Gotoku/Radiata Stories way where it's different enough and unpredictable/non-linear enough that it draws you in because you never know what might happen and it's more like "living a life" than "following a pre-destined story".

SMT and their spin-offs (besides Persona 1/2 & DDS 1/2) have often been known for being "different" in how they're structured, but yet they always do a good job at it in both the gameplay department and with their awesome art/music + great stories.

Very much looking forward to starting it myself, but I'm not gonna touch the package until XS Ep3 is done, analyzed, all secrets acquired/sidequests finished.

I'm a teeeeny bit disappointed it's not like P1/2 since everyone says they were like Final Fantasy but with R&D1 stories/difficulty/art/music, which sounds right up my alley. But then again that's what DDS was and just being the same as DDS would be too boring for R&D1.

Himuro said:
I guess the non linearity is going to kill some of these people.

"I hate non linearity! I like being told what to do!"

**** off.

better off without the final fantasy crowd :b

i am still upset about the only controlling one character though :(

duckroll

Yeah Bebpo should definitely finish XS3 before playing this.
Not like UPS is giving you a choice lol.

Personally I'm really enjoying playing both. XS3 fills my need for tons of awesome cutscenes with giant robots and all the plot conclusion in the XS series along with really nice mecha battles, while P3 feeds my LUST for dungeon crawling and school life sim stuff. Not to mention P3's pacing means I can easily stop and clear a dungeon in XS3 and watch a shitload of cutscenes before picking P3 up again. :D

Top Bottom