• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

Matt Frost

Morphite is also out. Played some of the beta a ways back, but enjoyed what I played. Honestly much better than No Man’s Sky IMO. $7.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/morphite/id1125093361?mt=8

Probably pick it up at some point but need to curb spending.

I always wanted this so bought... impressions soon

And Flat Pack, a new game from Nitrome also came out. Mixes uñ 2D and 3D platforming. Seems interesting and is free

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flat-pack/id1206776375?l=en&mt=8

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sigh. Don’t think I can participate in yet another “when is mobile going to get good games” threads...

killercow

The Witness looks amazing on iPad and play rather well. As you could guess, drawing is much better with touch but I wish they still implemented multiple control options. I understand the idea of doing tap to move but I'd like the option to have a virtual joystick. When implemented well, it can be better.

It's not at all a deal breaker but just a shame that we don't have the option.

Oh it does support MFi controllers at least!

PittaGAF

I can’t buy anything because of a certain beta dropping tomorrow but finally, The Witness!!!
I’ve heard it support seamlessly iCloud sync too, can you confirm?

What a week and what a year.

killercow

I can’t buy anything because of a certain beta dropping tomorrow but finally, The Witness!!!

Seems like it yeah. I'm glad that the game's gorgeous art style in rendered well and does look like the PC version.

Warhammer Quest? That’s got a beta dropping soon if I remember correctly.

Moreche

Why didn’t Apple use the Witness as a launch game for the new Apple TV4K?
I’m amazed at their decisions sometimes.

Matt Frost

Morphite is everything No Mans Sky should have been. Fun, a story, more streamlined, better designed. I like it. Controls are good. The sense of wonder and exploration is huge and the soundtrack is amazing. 8€ well spent.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Is an iPad Mini 4 still semi decent for modern games? Or should we just go for a Pro (is it an overkill)?

Don't forget the option in between, the just plain "iPad". It's more powerful than the Mini 4, and only $329 for the 32GB or $429 for 128GB. Seems like a good buy for iOS gaming if you don't like the price of the Pro.

Jarsonot

A friend wants to buy an iPad primarily to play Clash of Kings.

I don't really follow iPad that much, what do you guys think?

He says he doesn't want a mini. If I was knowledgeable about this I'd probably pick him the bare minimum that would do it, unless the next model up would be reasonably cheap.

Appreciate your help in advance. =)

Matt Frost

Are you playing on phone or iPad? How are the controls?

Im playing on iPhone 6. Controls are: left side of the screen to aim (and change controls on the bottom corner) and right to shoot or aim, depends on what “button” you tap. And jump above that. They work well, can be customized and can swap between look and shoot easily. The atmosphere is great so far, lots of exploring and platforming, puzzles, things to scan, creatures to interact, worlds arent lifeless, have bases where you can trade, many systems to explore in a huge galaxy. Im addicted to Destiny 2 right now but this game will take away some time from that one. Very impressive.

wonderpug

Neo Member
He says he doesn't want a mini. If I was knowledgeable about this I'd probably pick him the bare minimum that would do it, unless the next model up would be reasonably cheap.

The next model up (just called "iPad") is $70 cheaper than the Mini if you get the low-storage version, or $20 more expensive if you get the same amount of storage as the Mini. Apple site says the processors are 1.6-1.8x faster than the Mini's.

gblues

Banned
I picked up The Witness, because it’s been on my radar for awhile and I had enough left from my gift card balance to cover it.

Performance so far is solid on iPhone 7+.

The touch interface is really nice. It feels like a 2d adventure game translated to 3D:

- tap the destination and you walk there.
- You can look around while you’re moving, and you can stop immediately with a two-finger tap.
- Two-finger swipes strafe.
- Double-tap to run.

Sigh. Don’t think I can participate in yet another “when is mobile going to get good games” threads...
Almost doesn't seem worth it anymore. No matter what you do, the next thread about mobile games will just have the same assumptions that you tried to correct last thread. (Sometimes being the same people!)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wonder how a certain something something involving precision and speed translates into touch controls in The Witness.

It's been a pretty long time since I played The Witness on PC (got it when it launched) and I burnt out pretty hard right before the ending, pretty much right when I
entered the mountain
. There was a LOT of good, satisfying puzzle solving up to that point, so it was still an overall good experience.

Might be nice to go back to, and a mobile version would would be nice to just pick up and play for a bit.

My main conplaint with the game was that I felt it lacked a good story like the old Myst games (it had a good theme, but that's about it), and after a while the puzzles started to get more tiring than they were enjoyable. Puzzle concepts just started adding onto other puzzle concepts until it just became tedious trying to solve them.

I also made a LOT of use of my Note 4's stylus (my phone at the time) to take pictures of my screen and try drawing out solutions for puzzles, but I guess on my iPad I could take screencapture and draw on then with my finger if I wanted to do that again.

awp69

My main conplaint with the game was that I felt it lacked a good story like the old Myst games (it had a good theme, but that's about it), and after a while the puzzles started to get more tiring than they were enjoyable. Puzzle concepts just started adding onto other puzzle concepts until it just became tedious trying to solve them.

This is basically how I feel about The Witness as well and why I mentioned liking The Talos Principle more as far as recent first person puzzlers go. I think I also like more physical puzzles that Talos has as well.

Jarsonot

Thanks for the advice. He went with 3rd gen iPad as it requires iOS 7 and that's the first one where it (apparently) doesn't run like crap.

Thanks!!

killercow

Thanks for the advice. He went with 3rd gen iPad as it requires iOS 7 and that's the first one where it (apparently) doesn't run like crap.

Thanks!!

I would say that the third one is the worst in terms of performance but hopefully it’ll all be okay.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Thanks!!

I would say that the third one is the worst in terms of performance but hopefully it’ll all be okay.
^

Third gen iPad is generally the ugly duckling of the iPad family. Very under powered for the HD display it came with. Apple put out the 4th gen version less than a year later.

bonesquad

This is basically how I feel about The Witness as well and why I mentioned liking The Talos Principle more as far as recent first person puzzlers go. I think I also like more physical puzzles that Talos has as well.

I also like Talos Principle better, but Witness is a better fit for a touch screen.

I hated the "story" in Witness and I'd rather those elements weren't even there (which may have been part of the point...), and I also disliked Witness's tendency to go great, you figured out how this set of puzzles work. Now do it 30 more times. Still the overall puzzle design and laying of concepts is quite good. And I consider unlocking all the areas and beating the game without any help one of my better gaming accomplishments:)

colinp

Banned
I bought it after watching the trailer. I plan on trying it on my Apple TV when I get home from work. I’ll post some impressions later.

It looks like the greatest game of all time TBH.

???
I don’t see the similarities:
gfs_34262_2_5.jpg

:p

Just fired up Morphite on my iPhone 6s. I don’t think this phone has ever gotten this hot outside of OS upgrades, but I don’t play a lot of intense games on it.

The game reminds me of Metroid Prime in a number of ways. Scanning and shooting, the ambience and music. The cutscenes and voice acting are not terrible, yet. Touch controls are good.

Edit: Apple TV ran the game very poorly but the settings had “experimental effects” enabled by default so I turned those off and it ran fine. Controller support was ok. But no iCloud save support that I saw, so...

Edit 2: Good second mission. Even more Metroid influences. There’s also a low battery mode that throttles the frame rate.

xJavonta

Banned
Just bought an iPad 2017. Feels good to get back into iOS gaming after selling my iPad 2 years ago. Forgot how huge these things are.

Gonna go through the threads to see what I missed

I also like Talos Principle better, but Witness is a better fit for a touch screen.

I hated the "story" in Witness and I'd rather those elements weren't even there (which may have been part of the point...), and I also disliked Witness's tendency to go great, you figured out how this set of puzzles work. Now do it 30 more times. Still the overall puzzle design and laying of concepts is quite good. And I consider unlocking all the areas and beating the game without any help one of my better gaming accomplishments:)
Oh yeah, I think the Witness will make a great mobile/tablet game. I think I'll enjoy it more casually playing it as a mobile game than binge playing it on the PC like I did originally.

I bought it after watching the trailer. I plan on trying it on my Apple TV when I get home from work. I’ll post some impressions later.

It looks like the greatest game of all time TBH.
Morphite seems great. It might be sacrilegious to say, but I think I'll wait for the Switch version to see how that one is.

My iPad Mini 2 might not be up to snuff anymore for a game like this. It's low poly, but it seems pretty expansive from what I've seen.

PittaGAF

Is it my imagination or now you can buy iPad only games from iPhone? (To be later downloaded on iPad of course).
I can see the full description (not just the icon as before) on iPhone now and tap (by I didn’t follow) on the price.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it my imagination or now you can buy iPad only games from iPhone? (To be later downloaded on iPad of course).
I can see the full description (not just the icon as before) on iPhone now and tap (by I didn’t follow) on the price.
Nope.

QjORM65.jpg

Can't but iPad games now unless to have an iPad since iTunes app Store is gone.

Reorx

I just bought an Ipad pro 12,9 for school, are there any good games similar to Titan Quest, or RPGs like Baldurs Gate? I also like building games like Civilization/Anno

Top Bottom