• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Rymuth

With this final character purchase (plus 100k in the bank), I have succeeded in my goal of buying Season 1+2 characters without spending a dime.

Feeling good about myself tbh :>

I know, I know. Some ya'll have like a million lying around. Cut us small guys some slack!

FluxWaveZ

maybe you've just hit the plateau before your next skill increase, which is natural

maybe take a break, maybe pick up a new game

Maybe. I've had this feeling of being stuck in a rut before. But it feels more significant this time, and it's lasted longer. Since Evo, I had taken a break and I've played other games, only to return to SFV and still feel like I'm missing something.

Could be that you´re simply juggling too many characters at the same time.
Or did you bench mika completely while playing other characters?

For the most part, I only play Abigail and Mika. I have not benched Mika; the whole reason I feel this way is because I'm performing particularly poorly with her compared to how I feel I was playing before.

Back in season 1, I also played Balrog, Guile and Birdie a decent amount, and I had been using my alt account a lot to play as them in addition to Guile, before I transitioned to using Abby on my main account.

With this final character purchase (plus 100k in the bank), I have succeeded in my goal of buying Season 1+2 characters without spending a dime.

Feeling good about myself tbh :>

I know, I know. Some ya'll have like a million lying around. Cut us small guys some slack!
If it makes you feel better, I have over 100k lying around and I bought both season passes.

I also have a fuckton of colours and all the stages.

I have enough for Zeku. The rest of the DLC characters are fun as fuck, and I hope he is.

Maybe. I've had this feeling of being stuck in a rut before. But it feels more significant this time, and it's lasted longer. Since Evo, I had taken a break and I've played other games, only to return to SFV and still feel like I'm missing something.

For the most part, I only play Abigail and Mika. I have not benched Mika; the whole reason I feel this way is because I'm performing particularly poorly with her compared to how I feel I was playing before.

Back in season 1, I also played Balrog, Guile and Birdie a decent amount, and I had been using my alt account a lot to play as them in addition to Guile, before I transitioned to using Abby on my main account.

What's your usual training routine? I remember watching you on stream, and the commentators later saying that you were a great player but panicked too often. Could that be the cause (to be clear, they weren't saying it in a mean way, and I've had people shit alllll over me when I've been on stream a few times lol).

FluxWaveZ

What's your usual training routine? I remember watching you on stream, and the commentators later saying that you were a great player but panicked too often. Could that be the cause (to be clear, they weren't saying it in a mean way, and I've had people shit alllll over me when I've been on stream a few times lol).

Eh, the community here's always shit on me, so that's whatever. But yeah, I do have a tendency to panic, especially when it's an environment that differs too much from my comfort zone. It can be difficult for me to focus solely on the game in front of me when there's a lot of stuff going on around me, so big stage, huge audience, no headphones to isolate myself, etc. will often affect me, and it becomes apparent in the way I play.

It's not the cause for when I play at home, though. Whether it's online or offline, I've just been playing notably worse these days. Kinda sucks. I feel like I need to start from zero.

Usual routine is play a bunch of ranked matches non-stop, and dip into Training mode if there's something I saw in a match that I want to take a closer look at. Haven't watched replays regularly in a long time; maybe I should go back to that.

delSai

I'll get the S2 pass when its on sale. Got enough FM for a season, but depending on who's in S3 i might pay full price. THawk, Makoto, Hakan, Hugo or Q would probably make me spend real cash.

I want the beach stage but it seems like a waste to buy stages, especially since i've pretty much hit my Offline FM limit. Unless i suddenly get super good i dont think i'll finish another medium survival let alone hard. And with just the weekly challenges it'll probably take a while.

In other news i finally won a set again after a losing streak.

UncleMeat

Did he play Ken? because if so that's just how Ken players are.

All this Ken hate...can continue. Really watching Momochi play triggers me all the time. All those bad memories. I mean look at all those impossible confirms, disgusting!

The ken hate can continue because its been like 8 billion of them dudes online in the last few weeks.

I don't know who won what, where and how, but it was with ken. And it has made online more annoying.

Fuck ken, he's always been an annoying shit.

God I love it! Keep it coming, boys.

And yes I realize most of you could completely destroy my Ken.

Eh, the community here's always shit on me, so that's whatever. But yeah, I do have a tendency to panic, especially when it's an environment that differs too much from my comfort zone. It can be difficult for me to focus solely on the game in front of me when there's a lot of stuff going on around me, so big stage, huge audience, no headphones to isolate myself, etc. will often affect me, and it becomes apparent in the way I play.

It's not the cause for when I play at home, though. Whether it's online or offline, I've just been playing notably worse these days. Kinda sucks. I feel like I need to start from zero.

Usual routine is play a bunch of ranked matches non-stop, and dip into Training mode if there's something I saw in a match that I want to take a closer look at. Haven't watched replays regularly in a long time; maybe I should go back to that.

I always like to get a feel of how other people train. I generally have been sitting in training mode like you do and testing things out, but I'll do it on a loss. Need to play Ranked more.

Have you tried posting your replays up elsewhere? Or even here? You are far better than almost all of us, but it'd be nice to see if someone could spot some problem areas. (That's actually something I should start doing myself!) I see you on the Abby discord, I don't think they'd mind taking a look.

FluxWaveZ

Have you tried posting your replays up elsewhere? Or even here? You are far better than almost all of us, but it'd be nice to see if someone could spot some problem areas. (That's actually something I should start doing myself!) I see you on the Abby discord, I don't think they'd mind taking a look.

I used to do that a lot in this thread back in Season 1, when I was still figuring out the game. I then moved on to doing it a bit in the Mika discord. I kinda stopped doing it since, after I stopped watching my own replays, but I should go back to doing it. Analyzing matches out of the moment and having other sets of eyes on them can help you figure out certain things that you weren't perceiving before.

I haven't done it at all with Abigail yet. I should. I just have an aversion to the "down time," since I prefer to learn by playing more and more instead of dipping into Training mode, like Itazan, but it's something that I'll need to do more of if I want to improve. Especially now that I'm at an impasse, and what I'm doing isn't working.

Edzi

You might just play too much. There's such a thing as over practicing, and you definitely play this game more than most people (even pros). You might actually get better with a short break.

FluxWaveZ

You might just play too much. There's such a thing as over practicing, and you definitely play this game more than most people (even pros). You might actually get better with a short break.

Longest I've done is a week without playing (most recent I did this was at the end of August). I felt a bit better playing when I've done this, but not that much. I guess longer could work? I fear that my ability would also deteriorate if I go too long without playing, though.

Edzi

Longest I've done is a week without playing (most recent I did this was at the end of August). I felt a bit better playing when I've done this, but not that much. I guess longer could work? I fear that my ability would also deteriorate if I go too long without playing, though.

Maybe try playing less daily? Instead of a long break, just limit yourself to a couple hours a day or something. Idunno, it's worth a shot.

Village

God I love it! Keep it coming, boys.

And yes I realize most of you could completely destroy my Ken.

I'm not even loosing to the kens, its just that's annoying to run into that same character that much, doing a lot of the same shit.

Like chun li's online are like legendary pokemon

delSai

The worst thing about the Ken/Ryu overkill is that you'll just never learn certain match ups. I've played around 400 matches and only saw one Sim. It's kinda crazy.

Stantron

What Edzi said is right but I own a TES+ and from my experience its been a good stick. Its my secondary stick so I dont use it as much as my TE2, but Ive yet to experience an issue with it in the 9 months I've owned it.

I bought a TES+ end of last year that crapped out after about of month of solid use, I wouldn't put much faith in stock Madcatz SFV sticks. I wouldn't recommend buying those sticks new or used from eBay sellers; who knows if they're trying to offload bad sticks now that Madcatz is gone.

The other parts and case are solid design though, so if you can find one cheap and aren't afraid to slap in a Brooks PCB if the stock one goes bad, that'd be a viable option. I've heard good things about the Razer Pantherea. IIRC, some ex-Madcatz employees who designed the SFIV sticks jumped to Razer to work on their stick designs.

Thanks for the feedback, dudes. I'm gonna hold off on the TES+ then knowing my luck. I like what I see of the Razer Pantherea. Might give that a shot.

Nash sucks and now I finally understand why everyone from Bonchan to LTG dropped him like a used condom.

Run, run, run, get beat in neutral, run some more and wonder if you would struggle as much with a different character.

It might finally be time for me to do what everyone else has been smart enough to do a long time ago.

Let's see what Zeku is looking like.

All this talk about Ken hate and I was actually thinking about switching to Ken. The more I think about it the more I feel that he can basically be a better Ryu. His fireball is slightly worse but he can do number of very important things that Ryu can't do or do it better than him.

I stopped playing again over a month ago after one really bad night with Ryu where I lost over 1k pp. Ryu has always been my boy, but it's just so hard to win with him right now. Ken and Akuma are both sitting right there waiting for me to easily transition into if I wanted to. I don't think I can keep ignoring that fact much longer.

Everyone has a Ken phase in their life. When they're still on the shoto train and Akuma is just a bit too edgy, and Ryu is a bit too stale bread. Ken's the cool uncle shoto. It's just for some, the phase never ends.

I'd be calling robert vest ryu if robert wasn't my own name.
You're weird, Necalli is a good fit for you.

And Ryo is SNK Ryu.

Ken players are a scourge
So are Lucky Chloe players tbh.
Im down for earlier plays
We did start when you got online

I actually enjoyed playing Chloe

tenor.gif

Are you aiming for Capcup this year? If not, I'd say don't touch the game for at least a month

When you come back to it, you'll have to remind yourself of some things, but you're not going to start sucking or anything

FluxWaveZ

Are you aiming for Capcup this year? If not, I'd say don't touch the game for at least a month

When you come back to it, you'll have to remind yourself of some things, but you're not going to start sucking or anything

Capcom Cup is absolutely out of the question. A month is probably too long for the amount of events I participate in in that time frame. But playing less in general could help. At least, not the really long play sessions I tend to have every time I turn on the game.

stn

I'm having fun with Ed, though part of me wishes his Flicker was 3-4 inputs instead of 5. I mean, I can piano it properly BUT I have to use my stick every time I wish to play him. Jumping back-and-forth between the stick and pad button layouts is driving my muscle memory nuts, lol.

Top Bottom