• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny launches new show KF Games Daily w/ Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer

GlamFM

Banned
Not a fan of this sadly. I don't much enjoy Andrea's style and I feel Tim's will be no better. Is there no way at all Colin can come back?

More likely to take over for Sean Spicer than coming back to Kinda Funny.

Thankfully.

kai3345

Banned
really liking the more buttoned up tone of this show. maybe im exaggerating but i felt like what really turned me off of KFs other gaming shows were that they were trying to balance real games talk with their usual zany comedy stuff, and I thought it didn't work that well. this seems like it's taking things a little more seriously which I like.

Not a fan of this sadly. I don't much enjoy Andrea's style and I feel Tim's will be no better. Is there no way at all Colin can come back?
Both Andrea and Tim are much better than Colin imo, so I'm glad for the change. Tim especially knows a ton about games and has informed opinions on things he talks about. Colin's articulation often made him sound more informed than he actually was.

decisions

Both Andrea and Tim are much better than Colin imo, so I'm glad for the change. Tim especially knows a ton about games and has informed opinions on things he talks about. Colin's articulation often made him sound more informed than he actually was.

I'm sorry but I find this to be ludicrous. Watch the PS4 Slim Reacts to see how Andrea's argumentative skills match up against Colin's. And of course it doesn't need to be said how many times he has corrected Tim over the years.

I have nothing against either of them but they don't have Colin's expertise in videogames or verbal expression.

The new show is fine, I like how Greg is trying to take things more seriously but it's no PSILY. EZA heavily outdoes KF right now.

Zukkoyaki

Colin's articulation often made him sound more informed than he actually was.

This is very, very true right here. People thought Colin was some sort of gaming genius because he used big words, liked Mega Man and could rattle off Sony's first party studios. Not saying he wasn't good at is job, but his game punditry was nowhere near as special as some made it out to be. Remember how he swore For Honor would bomb and was stunned it did extremely well? He's basically an average GAF poster.

But as for the main topic, Games Daily has been excellent so far! Greg and Andrea have great chemistry with each other and I appreciate how the show doesn't have much fluff.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm sorry but I find this to be ludicrous. Watch the PS4 Slim Reacts to see how Andrea's argumentative skills match up against Colin's. And of course it doesn't need to be said how many times he has corrected Tim over the years.

I have nothing against either of them but they don't have Colin's expertise in videogames or verbal expression.

The new show is fine, I like how Greg is trying to take things more seriously but it's no PSILY. EZA heavily outdoes KF right now.

Late Collin was nothing but a bully.

I don't always love Andrea's on air personality, but it is honestly just so nice to not have Colin's bullshit politics all over one of Greg's video game podcasts, that yeah, I'm 100% in on this.

Jonboy

I'm torn here. I love these people and think this is great content...but I haven't even been able to finish the first episode yet and with the 2nd one already out and a 3rd coming today, I'm already starting to feel way behind. Sad, because I love Greg and was excited about what Andrea and Danny would bring to the table here.

Maybe it's selfish of me, but I personally wish it was a longer, once a week show. That works better with how I listen to podcasts and I wouldn't feel like I was getting so far behind. I feel like they're going to get burned out doing it every day.

So Greg if you and/or Tim are reading...the good news is I really want to listen/follow all you guys are doing on the gaming front. Bad news is...I'm feeling overwhelmed and like I'll miss something.

Great show! Is this show replacing the KF Gamescast as well?
No, they're still going to do Gamescast as well. Changing up the format though.

I don't always love Andrea's on air personality, but it is honestly just so nice to not have Colin's bullshit politics all over one of Greg's video game podcasts, that yeah, I'm 100% in on this.

They rarely ever talked politics on any of the gaming shows.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm torn here. I love these people and think this is great content...but I haven't even been able to finish the first episode yet and with the 2nd one already out and a 3rd coming today, I'm already starting to feel way behind. Sad, because I love Greg and was excited about what Andrea and Danny would bring to the table here.

Maybe it's selfish of me, but I personally wish it was a longer, once a week show. That works better with how I listen to podcasts and I wouldn't feel like I was getting so far behind. I feel like they're going to get burned out doing it every day.

So Greg if you and/or Tim are reading...the good news is I really want to listen/follow all you guys are doing on the gaming front. Bad news is...I'm feeling overwhelmed and like I'll miss something.

No, they're still going to do Gamescast as well. Changing up the format though.

They rarely ever talked politics on any of the gaming shows.

Yeah, maybe shorten it a bit. 20-30 mins would be enough I guess.

Is 2:45pm ET/11:45 PT the standard time for the live broadcast? Catching up on the first few episodes, not sure what to expect (I've only ever heard one episode of Podcast Beyond or whatever and there was that Final Fantasy XV event but that doesn't count) but my fingers are crossed.

Andrea's points I may not always agree with, but I enjoy her pushing back against ideas put forward by other panel members. Regarding Tim, I feel he receives a lot of unnecessary hate when he's grown incredibly over the years and has really come into his own. He doesn't constantly spout nonsensical hot takes like Colin used to, often fueling flames because he liked to cause controversy.

Nothing I said was "ludicrous."

jacobeid

Banned
Care to substantiate this? Not sure I ever saw him bully somebody during Kinda Funny content.

Please, everyone, let's not let this thread divulge into another Colin debate thread. MrS, a quick google search will show you what happened at the end of colin's stint with KF if you aren't up to date.

Curious about the new show, especially the ones with Danny. I like Andrea but I've been shocked by how many times factually incorrect information (such as prices, release dates, etc.) have been presented on the What's Good Games podcast.

decisions

Andrea's points I may not always agree with, but I enjoy her pushing back against ideas put forward by other panel members. Regarding Tim, I feel he receives a lot of unnecessary hate when he's grown incredibly over the years and has really come into his own. He doesn't constantly spout nonsensical hot takes like Colin used to, often fueling flames because he liked to cause controversy.

Nothing I said was "ludicrous."

You said that both Andrea and Tim are better hosts than Colin, and implied that this was because they are more "informed". To me, that's ludicrous because I watched this channel for two years straight and Colin was the one who constantly brought statistics and facts about the industry to the table that were the backbone of the discussions. Tim rarely ever says anything of substance, aside from when there's a game he has a special relationship with, then he can generate excitement. Take the last 5 minutes of this video: https://youtu.be/Gt3heQY39os

Andrea makes ridiculous numerical statements about the mobile market without any source to back them up, eventually loses track of Colin': argument, and Tim tries to side with her by offering near-monosyllabic replies. I am glad that Andrea and Colin had pushback here, but it's clear to me that Colin is the one who made the show interesting. Without him we would just have a bunch of surface level, industry-friendly stratosphere talk, and that's what we got.

Just my opinion. Maybe the show will be better in time.

And Colin being honest about disagreements on games has nothing to do with politics. The reason why I like EZA is because they are all honest and disagree with each other when they ought to.

alemmon

After listening to the first 2 episodes... I am on board. I like the shorter format. I like Andrea and Tim. Andrea is very informed and knows her stuff. Just take a look at the E3 predictions episode. To me its Danny who seems to be the least informed.

While I will miss the Colin/Greg dynamic... that has obviously changed and will never be again, I do really enjoy what they have now.

You said that both Andrea and Tim are better hosts than Colin, and implied that this was because they are more "informed".
No I didn't, I simply pointed out a strength in Tim being informed despite what people like you think, but not as a slight against Colin. Your Colin defense force doesn't need activating here.

It's a personal performance. Colin said A LOT of shit that didn't make sense that was from a place of ignorance. One example being his supposed love for Metroid-style games (he holds Shadow Complex in high regard and that game is average at best imo), yet didn't want to play Ori because it was on Xbox.. but that didn't stop him from perpetuating the "Xbox has no games" narrative. There was usually a constant cloud of negativity surrounding Colin.

It's unfortunate that every KF thread ends up being centered around Colin, who likes him, who hates him, usually with the same group of people saying the same things in each of those threads.

I like the new show and the new format. I can't wait to hear Danny O next week. After the funk their shows have been in the last few months, they're definitely on an upswing.

I was a big Colin fan and really miss the dynamic he brought to the group, but this show is bringing me back to watch some KindaFunny. I like the show with Andrea already and think she and Danny just might be the right fit.

This is really the only KF show I care about and wish I could subscribe to it in YouTube without the rest of KFG.

Post-KFL3 Kinda Funny has so far been nailing it for me. I always liked their content, but to me this is great. I see some people complaining that they can't keep up, but honestly you should just do what I do, which is watch what you want to watch. Rather than trying to absorb all the content they put out, just watch what interests you. With this, the morning show, gamescast, the let's plays and GoGs you will have plenty of stuff to watch, and realistically not enough time to watch it all. There's also stuff like the doodles, the animation series, the upcoming cooking with Greggy show... Man all I can say is, you guys over there at KF, keep fucking that chicken.

Very happy with the new content, even though when i heard it at KFL3 was kind of bummed i was getting a shorter Morning show as really loved the zany antics. But focusing on a different segmenet of news each day on each show works really well, really pleased cant wait to see Danny talking about games in general again and love that it does not stop his documentaries. Andrea was brilliant also love Greg dressing up for the show in a shirt an Tie kind of sets the tone. Oh and the walls and graphics are spot on. Oh and it does not have Kevin in :) only kidding

paulogy

BTW, is this the PS I Love You replacement?

Yes and no. The in-depth games coverage that XOXO used to bring will be on KF Games Daily. The Roper Report (top news) will be covered daily as well as any games that may be releasing that day, across all platforms. Topic of the Show is in part moving to the Gamescast.

kaiiri

You said that both Andrea and Tim are better hosts than Colin, and implied that this was because they are more "informed". To me, that's ludicrous because I watched this channel for two years straight and Colin was the one who constantly brought statistics and facts about the industry to the table that were the backbone of the discussions. Tim rarely ever says anything of substance, aside from when there's a game he has a special relationship with, then he can generate excitement. Take the last 5 minutes of this video: https://youtu.be/Gt3heQY39os

Andrea makes ridiculous numerical statements about the mobile market without any source to back them up, eventually loses track of Colin': argument, and Tim tries to side with her by offering near-monosyllabic replies. I am glad that Andrea and Colin had pushback here, but it's clear to me that Colin is the one who made the show interesting. Without him we would just have a bunch of surface level, industry-friendly stratosphere talk, and that's what we got.

Just my opinion. Maybe the show will be better in time.

And Colin being honest about disagreements on games has nothing to do with politics. The reason why I like EZA is because they are all honest and disagree with each other when they ought to.

Just looked over the clip of them going back and forth and neither really had any "source material" to back them up. They both "say" they can back up their claims and I agree with the authoritative way Colin speaks is something I miss (on the things he actually knew stuff about), but with this I can't say he does. Colin has ZERO interests in iOS/android games and unless a specific company is a HUGE success he probably won't hear of them, but as Andrea (and Tim) were saying there are a lot who make quite a bit of money. And like Andrea was saying it's the same with lots of indie devs on consoles; in terms of a lot of them make a game and disappear cause it failed just like it has on mobile games.

I guess just saying though in terms of remembered knowledge Colin is definitely on another level, in terms of the type of knowledge we should be looking to add to Kinda Funny Games Daily Andrea (and Danny) is a very good addition.

Got really excited, and then I realized Greg Miller would still be involved. Sadly my dislike for Miller outweighs my love of the others.

That said, hope it does well for them!

mitchlol

Got really excited, and then I realized Greg Miller would still be involved. Sadly my dislike for Miller outweighs my love of the others.

That said, hope it does well for them!

oh you mean Greg "It's always what I say, when we were at IGN" Miller, can't go a single 5 minute period without dribbling on about a time he was at IGN

Colin is not coming back. Jesus, get the fuck over it. Learn to critique Andrea's style without invoking your nostalgia for Colin's pseudo intellectualism. Go watch his new Colin's Last Stand––which has woeful production value––if you miss his hot takes that much.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Colin kept saying he knew a lot about games, and Greg reinforced that often, but I never saw any substance in these claims. He more or less regurgitated the same 4 or 5 opinions week in and week out.

newjeruse

Care to substantiate this? Not sure I ever saw him bully somebody during Kinda Funny content.
Yea, he wasn't a bully. A bully at least has the decency to undress you to your face. Colin was just a bomb-thrower who enjoyed throw out hot takes and watching the damage from afar.

UNFORCED ERROR

Hmm I've listened to the first 3 eps and have been really enjoying the new show.
It's good to have something like PSILY come out daily and Andrea has been great so far.

Hopefully rotating second chair keeps things fresh.
Is Tim in this podcast too though? Prefer him on Gamescast than all over this as well.

Olli128

Daily is probably not a good idea. Kinda Funnys main problem is that they seem to focus on quantity over quality, I guess that's where the money is though.

Danny is great. Andrea was one of the very worst parts of Weekend Confirmed and doesn't appear to be improving when it comes to speaking knowledgeably about gaming. (Or at the very least in an entertaining or amusing manner)

Haven't watched any of the new KoF episodes yet...

Danny is great. Andrea was one of the very worst parts of Weekend Confirmed and doesn't appear to be improving when it comes to speaking knowledgeably about gaming. (Or at the very least in an entertaining or amusing manner)

Haven't watched any of the new KoF episodes yet...

Interesting, I have the complete opposite view; she knows her stuff and comes across as very likable.

I always liked the Colin and Greg partnership, but I think it became a case of there being too much of a good thing; it lost its spark toward what ended up being the end of Beyond/PS I love you. Andrea is a much needed breath of fresh air, as is Danny.

mrk8885

Banned
I love the new setup. I'll skip the regular KFMS pretty much daily (ended up watching a replay of yesterday since I won the game giveaway!) but I'm going to try and watch every episode of KFGD.

The shenanigans of the morning show were too much for me. I'm happy to have a focused timely gaming show.

I'm a fan of the show so far. Gives me something to look forward to sitting at work every day. Andrea seems fine (not really familiar with her) so far, and I like that Greg seems to have cleaned this show up a bit to go for a bit of a more professional sound. The shorter format is dope too.

Liked Colin's insight, but his boredom with games in the latter months was really off-putting, and he did become a pretty unbearable asshole, on the show and on Twitter. It's best for everyone that he moved on.

Keep it up, KF!

I'm loving the new show. I really missed a more polished "show" as opposed to all of their off-the-cuff, live stuff, which is fine, but I prefer more of a focus—especially on gaming. And Andrea brings a new voice to the group. It's one thing that EZA could use, in my opinion... a women's voice and perspective (I miss Elyse). I don't know much about Danny, but I look forward to hearing what he brings to the show as well.

Concerning replacing Colin. I'm fine with it. I loved the dynamic between him and Greg in the beginning, but... he seemed kinda checked out at the end and mainly was just repeating the same things over and over again. If I had to hear "unforced error," "I'm tired," referencing Jim Sterling's No Man's Sky video, slipping in how The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 "bombed" or his constant jabs at NeoGAF for calling him out, I was going to start sending Kinda Funny my medical bills for all my ER visits to pull my rolled eyes out of the back of my head. He clearly lost his passion and needed to move onto something else.

But I digress... keep up the good work, gang.

sora87

Colin is greatly missed on the show, Danny is oke.. but I don't really rate either Tim or Andrea sadly.

giphy.gif

I personally like Colin but his situation was what it was. I really never been a fan of Andrea even since the Weekend Confirmed days. I am not saying she is a bad "journalist" but her taste in games are just terrible IMHO. Greg is Greg he has a lot of heart but is very obnoxious. I wish Kinda Funny good luck, but its defiantly not for people like myself.

Noctis3

I personally like Colin but his situation was what it was. I really never been a fan of Andrea even since the Weekend Confirmed days. I am not saying she is a bad "journalist" but her taste in games are just terrible IMHO. Greg is Greg he has a lot of heart but is very obnoxious. I wish Kinda Funny good luck, but its defiantly not for people like myself.
How is he obnoxious?

How is he obnoxious?

Do you have ears? He is not obnoxious all the time, but when he tries to be funny, you can tell he really tries, and it ends up being obnoxious instead. Then again, humor is different for everyone. So, I am sure some people think he is hilarious.

mantis23

Show has been pretty great so far. I am a fan of the format and the decision to keep this one tight and professional. Leave the zany antics on the morning show.

Top Bottom