• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition Coming To PS4/XB1, Launching August 29

Glad console owners will get a chance to enjoy this good ass game. I've still never gotten around to finishing it, but it's a hell of a game. Got me into CRPG's.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That's turn based, so a bit different. But I also had a chance to play this, and I think it works okay. It took a bit of getting used to but after about 10 minutes it felt fairly natural.

Wait a second, you've played Pillars of Eternity with the new controller interface?

Can you describe how it works?

Cels

i've had my eye on this for steam for a while but i haven't seen any good deals that bundle the base (hero?) edition plus the white march expansion for a good price.

right now if you were to buy it on steam, hero edition is $45 then the expansion pass is $25, totaling $70. a bit too much for me right now.

Anno

i've had my eye on this for steam for a while but i haven't seen any good deals that bundle the base (hero?) edition plus the white march expansion for a good price.

right now if you were to buy it on steam, hero edition is $45 then the expansion pass is $25, totaling $70. a bit too much for me right now.

If they keep to the usual discount then it'll be about $30 for both when the Steam sale starts tomorrow.

Glad console owners will get a chance to enjoy this good ass game. I've still never gotten around to finishing it, but it's a hell of a game. Got me into CRPG's.
I feel like starting CRPGs with this game is like jumping headfirst in to the pool without knowing how to swim, although I guess it's easier than starting with the games it was inspired by which would be like jumping headfirst in to the deep sea without knowing how to swim.

Massicot

Wait a second, you've played Pillars of Eternity with the new controller interface?

Can you describe how it works?

I'll be honest and say I didn't take great notes, but here's what I have written down:

A button toggle will give the player access to a cursor which can be moved with a joystick, which is basically just giving a mouse cursor option, which is obviously pretty clunky, but it's there. As for the actual revamped inputs: a radial menu can be brought up with the right trigger (or R2) to select each character's abilities, the left trigger will open up a similar radial menu for your journal, character sheets, and inventory screens.

In each of these menus or in combat itself, the left and right bumpers (or L1/R1) will swap your active character so that you only need to go into the menu once for each. So effectively during a pause in combat, R2 to bring up radial menu, select an ability using joystick and x, bumper to swap character to select another ability, etc. Unpause with Square or whatever the equivalent is on Xbox.

Pressing both bumpers will select the entire party, which is what you'll likely be doing whenever a map is being explored for the first time. The speed of the game can be altered with a D-Pad, slow mode is left on the pad, fast is right.

For map exploration, I forget the exact toggle, but you can toggle all of the interactive objects to be highlighted on the screen at once (similar to what is usually tab or alt in these games), and then you highlight a specific one with your joystick (note I mean that you tilt the stick in the direction of the object and it will light up or indicate it's the current selection, no cursor) and confirm to move your party to it to pick up the loot or interact. If it's just an examination point (like the magnifying glass) it's will just display the mouseover text. Combat worked similarly.

Moving the stick without the toggle on (man I wish I remember which button it was) just moves your current selected character (which is again determined by the bumpers, or pressing both to select full party)

Yet another port that people said would never happen. I'm buying it. Between this and Undertale that's some major crow pie.

Tyranny next. If I can't have a big budget 3d Obsidian game on consoles thus gen, tgen give me all of the isometric titles.

Nipo

Is there any consensus between this and Divinity Original Sin EE if someone is looking for the most faithful computer recreation of tabletop RPG?

Anno

Is there any consensus between this and Divinity Original Sin EE if someone is looking for the most faithful computer recreation of tabletop RPG?

OS is definitely the one more like a tabletop RPG.

So it won't be F2P with microtransactions like it was on PC? Damn, I was kinda banking on that. Now, I'll actually have to think about whether I want to get it.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the other PoE, Path of Exile.

Fantastic news! I'm a console only gamer now days but love these RPGs from when I grew up playing Baldurs Gate on the PC. Divinity was so good and the controls worked superbly on console. Assuming reviews are good (Torment :( ) I will be all over this.

StereoVsn

I am skeptical on this working well. You got 6 people party with plethora of actions and spells with large encounters. That doesn't lend itself great to console controllers especially considering substandard AI on the party members.

I also wonder how well a Unity based game of this scale will perform. Didn't Wasteland 2 and Torment have major issues?

Diablo 3 and Divinity are completely different animals as you only control single character in D3 and Divinity is turned based.

Lister

Banned
I am skeptical on this working well. You got 6 people party with plethora of actions and spells with large encounters. That doesn't lend itself great to console controllers especially considering substandard AI on the party members.

I also wonder how well a Unity based game of this scale will perform. Didn't Wasteland 2 and Torment have major issues?

Diablo 3 and Divinity are completely different animals as you only control single character in D3 and Divinity is turned based.

It's goign to be super clunky and slow compared to gameplay on PC. But console gamers interested in this kind of game will be able to play it, and that's probably good enough for them.

Mind you this game probably could run on most people's laptop. So these are some hardcore, I'll never touch a PC console gamers... that are also hardcore CRPG gamers...

Only on GAF :)

Half joking. I hope people enjoy the game and join us on the next hype train. And don't forget about GAF Island!

Staf

My fall went from wide open to super stacked. This, Life is strange and XCOM 2 expansion. And probably Agents of mayham as well.

Edit: Wait Cities: Skylines is coming in august as well? Fuck!

Wasteland 2 had major major technical problems, but it played fine control wise. Even still, I beat it multiple times, barely. There was a specific fight in Damonta that could crash your system every time if you were unlucky. I had to end the fight before my game crashed with lots of rockets.

StereoVsn

Wasteland 2 had major major technical problems, but it played fine control wise. Even still, I beat it multiple times, barely. There was a specific fight in Damonta that could crash your system every time if you were unlucky. I had to end the fight before my game crashed with lots of rockets.
Well, from control perspective it was turned based. I just meant performance wise Unity and consoles in general do not work well unless the developer really knows what they are doing (Ex. Ori).

GRaider81

I hope it does well but I do wonder about the controls.

Its's great that there is a trend to bring these traditional PC games to a wider audience though.

I have to say whoever the cRPG fans that buy these games on console and not PC are amongst the most intriguing and interesting gamers out there.

Yeah I liked XCOM:EU/EW on 360 (preferred it on pc after I got it there) and loved Diablo 3 on ps4 (moreso than kb/m), hell I even thought Dragon Age: Origins and 2 were fine on console but honestly after looking at some gameplay for this one I think I'm just gonna wait to play it until I get a different pc that doesn't glitch out whenever I try to launch the character creator.

I can't speak for Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 as I only have them on PC but I imagine they're worse than the comparison of xcom 1/2 solely because their UIs are a lot more cluttered and they've got a looooooot more interactivity/items.

I'm rebuying this on console. I'm elated. One of the best rpgs of the last ten years.

I just hope this goes up on PSN to preorder long before the launch date.

BTW, Divinity was a dream on consoles. No problems with the controls whatsoever. It is the blue print on how to do it.

Decado

Hopeful Logic™ would dictate that the PC version will be getting gamepad support now, pretty much all the other console versions of the latest isometric games on release spouted PC controller support I think (D:OS, Wasteland 2 etc).
They should, particularly with the price hike on PC. Biggest benefit for me is larger text/UI/menus. I have a steam controller but still need to be able to read the text.

GRaider81

I'm rebuying this on console. I'm elated. One of the best rpgs of the last ten years.

I just hope this goes up on PSN to preorder long before the launch date.

BTW, Divinity was a dream on consoles. No problems with the controls whatsoever. It is the blue print on how to do it.

Yeah Divinity was good but I do think it makes it easier being Turn based with less characters.

Real Time with pause is a different beast

Nzyme32

Awesome game, hope it does incredibly well. Really curious how they get around RTwP working with a controller in a non-tedious way. Tried it with Steam Input that way and not keen on that amount of pausing. Having said that, it is probably the same as something like Cities Skylines, where users who aren't used to mouse play won't really mind the extra time required anyway and find it super fun regardless

Venom.

I played and loved the original Baldur's Gate games but never had a PC powerful enough for this so I am glad it's coming to home console.

As I sit about 3.5 metres away from my TV I just hope the characters are drawn big enough and the text is large enough so that I can see it all whilst sitting on my couch.

This is great news. I'm sure Paradox's (and Obsidian's) expectations are quite low, but I hope some people who missed out on Pillars will give it a chance now. It's a really good game, particularly with all the content and design changes that came in with the expansions.

I played and loved the original Baldur's Gate games but never had a PC powerful enough for this so I am glad it's coming to home console.

As I sit about 3.5 metres away from my TV I just hope the characters are drawn big enough and the text is large enough so that I can see it all whilst sitting on my couch.

You can zoom in closer to the character models. I can't remember if there were scaling options for text size.

I'll be honest, I hope this bombs. Publishers wanting console development is the reason this entire style of game went extinct and I don't think that happening again is worth a small group of console only people playing Pillars.

Lmao, it was still on PC exclusively for years and the publisher here is Paradox

"hey I hope this good game bombs because I'm paranoid if it doesn't they'll stop making them even though they've got pillars 2 and divinity 2 already in development"

Oh, awesome! I'll definitely pick this up, been dying to play this but don't have a PC that can run it acceptably. I've bought all the CRPGs released so far on PS4, so I'm always happy to get another.

EYEL1NER

Nice. I'll definitely pick it up on Xbone and give it a shot. I thought back during the Kickstarter that I'd want to play it but figured I never would.

Corpekata

Banned
People who keep referencing Divinity and Wasteland really oughta actually look at what this game actually is. There's a huge gulf between a turn based game and real time. You might as well say Age of Empires will handle well because Diablo 3 translated well.

Not saying it's impossible, but they have a lot more work ahead of them (and really, the game didn't exactly excel technically on PC, with loads of pathfinding issues) that Larian and Inxile did.

In, I need to support obsidian. How's the storyline?

It's okay...I guess?

I played in awhile ago and barely remember anything about character specifics or the plot. It wasn't very exciting honestly.

It's also presented completely in the storybook matter like Planescape, but unlike PS, Pillars of Eternity is a lot more dull and pretentious.

shiv_

I played 80% of PoE on my tv with steam link and steam controller. I just had to crank the font size to max and it worked pretty good. Pausing with the right paddle felt oddly satisfying. Great game :)

CHC

Awesome news, and totally unexpected. I hope this means they will patch gamepad support into the PC version because damn sometimes I just love to sit back and chill out.

Anno

In, I need to support obsidian. How's the storyline?

You'll probably get a huge variety of opinion on that question. Personally I think it's a quite good story that gets a bit too ambitious for its budget in the last ~20% of the game and so runs into a couple pacing oddities. Still very much worth it for the story though, I think. An interesting take on metaphysics and religion set against a backdrop of the awful side effects of colonialism. Despite the scope it ends up feeling quite personal, and there's no "save the world from an ancient evil" syndrome to be found.

A lot of the side content and especially the expansion content is really good as well, probably better overall. I think most of the companions are good even if their role in the larger story (outside of a couple) isn't the most pronounced.

Corpekata

Banned
I like PoE's story and characters but the world itself is kind of frustrating. One of those games where it feels overdesigned with constant dropping of goofy world specific names and lingo and I never really got that good of a grasp on what the overall world is supposed to be like. Think this is why Tyranny worked better for me overall, world wise.

Lister

Banned
I like PoE's story and characters but the world itself is kind of frustrating. One of those games where it feels overdesigned with constant dropping of goofy world specific names and lingo and I never really got that good of a grasp on what the overall world is supposed to be like. Think this is why Tyranny worked better for me overall, world wise.

Some of the names for people and places definitely didn't roll of the tongue, so much as twisted it.

But I liked the world building they did.I felt bad for the people of the Dyrwood and what they were going through.

hemtae

I'll be honest, I hope this bombs. Publishers wanting console development is the reason this entire style of game went extinct and I don't think that happening again is worth a small group of console only people playing Pillars.

While I do think that's a more valid concern here than most, I think the market is different enough now that even if this does take off on consoles, it probably wouldn't mean extinction like what happened a decade or so past.

Anno

That's the part that stands to improve wildly with the move to the lore highlights in Deadfire. It definitely would help people with a lot of weird Glanfathan/Valian words and locations.

Top Bottom