• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just hope Mike gets his due in the sequel. He is one of the best characters in It and he got short changed imo

And it has a solid chance at passing it. I think the #1 spidey film is at 890. It will be a stretch but its actually possible. Unreal how much shit this movie got weeks ago and now its about to pass BvS and possibly become the highest grossing Spidey movie of all time.
The shit that the movie got was just the really stupid Forbes article about how it was the worst weekend drop ever or something like that, and then all the anti-Marvel fanboys piling on. I don't think actual informed people ever doubt that this movie would do well.

So how did It become such a big hit? Like it would of happened anyways considering it's actually good, but what drove all this OW traffic? Do that many people have reverence for the Tim Curry version?

The shit that the movie got was just the really stupid Forbes article about how it was the worst weekend drop ever or something like that, and then all the anti-Marvel fanboys piling on. I don't think actual informed people ever doubt that this movie would do well.

People get hysterical about superhero movies. It's not an anti-Marvel, or anti-DC, or whatever thing. You learn to ignore how it's said everything under $1.5B is a total flop. You'll see it again with Thor Ragnarok and Justice League later this year.

What is interesting about Homecoming compared with ASM2 is how much of its WW ground is made up domestic, which is ultimately matters more in this instance.

So how did It become such a big hit? Like it would of happened anyways considering it's actually good, but what drove all this OW traffic? Do that many people have reverence for the Tim Curry version?

If I had to guess, that's part of it, and it's generally one of King's famous stories, and things like Stranger Things prepped for it to break out.

But judging from the predictions, it opened considerably higher than anyone assumed.

Our IT contest wrapped up this weekend. Here were the predictions (made 8-10 days ago):

Code:
USERNAME			PREDICTION (millions USD)
The Driver			$250.00
Biggest-Geek-Ever		$101.20
AdventureRacing			$95.00
Busty 				$90.00
snap				$87.00
pestul				$85.50
Schlorgan			$85.00
Ignatz Mouse			$85.00
Freeza Under the Shower		$85.00
Cvie				$84.00
BronsonLee			$84.00
WhiteRabbitEXE			$83.50
Bobby Roberts			$83.00
PhonicipleBone			$82.50
Sgt. Kabukiman			$82.00
BumRush				$82.00
Caode				$82.00
Jigorath			$81.00
Miles X				$80.00
Saucycarpdog			$80.00
overcast			$79.00
CaviarMeths			$78.50
vinnygambini			$78.20
LordOfLore			$78.00
hodayathink			$77.00
GhaleonEB			$77.00
Kenzodielocke			$76.20
milanbaros			$76.00
What did he mean by this?	$76.00
FTF				$76.00
Random Human			$76.00
Phamit				$73.50
LFMartins86			$73.00
berzeli				$72.00
gamz				$72.00
Penguin				$71.80
Prompto				$71.40
AndyVirus			$71.00
Gentleman Jack			$70.30
catmincer			$69.00
Lifeline			$69.00
Famassu				$67.85
Slayven				$64.00
Chamber				$58.00
tonka				$55.00
ryutaro's mama			$0.000001

On average, we were wrong by at least $40M.

Congratulations to Biggest-Geek-Ever and AdventureRacing for taking the top two places.

There were two games up for grab, SOMA and Killing Floor 2. I will PM people in order until they are gone. I know some people have those titles, or aren't interested in either game, so prizes may go to places outside the Top 2.

I'd like to point out my joke prediction of $107M (or $17M) somehow ended up the closest the actual OW. I disqualified myself by having two predictions and I didn't want the prizes, but this is becoming a habit of joke predictions somehow turning out true.

No, you should blame them for their cynicism. Absolutely.

It's the most tired (and tiring) thing about them.
I'm only going to speak for myself here, but every other film in the DCEU sucked and was widely panned. I had zero expectations for Wonder Woman, which I ended up liking a great deal.

Can't say about It because I paid less attention to it leading up to its release, but I do remember a general sense of "but why?" when it was first announced/teased.

Sean C

If the 20% box office gross contract is true, he will make 100 million dollars plus 20 more of salary.

120 million dollars.

Lmao.

He should start funding his own films cause he is the most bankable individual trademark of movie business today. It's money in the bank.
There's no way the WB would sign away that much of the gross.

I'm sure part of it was nostalgia towards the 1990 version or the original book in general. There is always a thirst for good adaptations of King's work. There is also a thirst for unapologetically hard r horror films. The studios shied away from R rated films in general and especially with horror despite many of the genres biggest success of the last 40 years have been ultra violent horror films. There is an audience for that and whenever a movie taps that base it's usually box office gold. Add in a good marketing campaign and a very weak summer and a good movie had all the opportunity to seize box office momemtum. It did that.

Timeaisis

I, too, am really confused as to what happened to Apes. My only guess is they took too long from sequel to sequel? Couple that with the fact there is no big star carrying the franchise sequel to sequel.

It's disappointing...

Anth0ny

I, too, am really confused as to what happened to Apes. My only guess is they took too long from sequel to sequel? Couple that with the fact there is no big star carrying the franchise sequel to sequel.

It's disappointing...

it also got sandwiched between spiderman and dunkirk. didn't stand a chance.

probably would have kicked ass with an august release date.

Sean C

it also got sandwiched between spiderman and dunkirk. didn't stand a chance.

probably would have kicked ass with an august release date.
I don't believe that. It had its own weekend. When people are interested in seeing a movie, they will see a movie.

Liked it even the second time.

I think it's underrated, but as I told my wife, when they make a movie for me personally, I tend to overlook any shortcomings.

That was me with Baby Driver.

It's probably the weakest of Wright's films but I was having too much fun with how the movie essentially started remixing itself halfway through to care all that much.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Sometimes, if not often, the success is a measure of the times. And War for the Planet of the Apes is a heavy, heavy, movie not everyone is about at this time.

It also followed, roughly, the Romero follower. Surprisingly good first, much better and more commercial follow up, even better third film which wasn't quite as commercially viable.

Just be glad we got three for three great films.

I still haven't seen the third Apes, but comparing it to Day of the Dead has gotten me more interested in checking it out than any of the trailers did.

bpfd

I know it's unlikely, but can someone adapt Eyes of the Dragon now. It was my first, therefore my favorite King novel.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sometimes, if not often, the success is a measure of the times. And War for the Planet of the Apes is a heavy, heavy, movie not everyone is about at this time.

It has a few issues.

1. The name and advertising are pretty misleading. War for the Planet of the Apes. I remember the big cardboard cut out with Ceaser leading the Apes towards the humans. It's not in there. There is nothing really war like outside the first sequence.

Rather, you're given a heavy movie more akin to a biblical, specifically Moses' Journey. It is a long ass movie too. So while good, many people felt cheated.

2. It's not a crowd pleaser. While something like Get Out was misleading, it was still a very fun film to watch. The ending had the entire theater flipping their shit.

Apes really just leaves you with the bittersweet ending. The future of humanity is bleak as fuck, while any sort of hope resides in the Apes. While half the film was basically spend in a
concentration camp for apes

3. It's just a long ass movie. It's longer than the other two and it has no right to be longer than the 2nd. About 20 minutes too long.

4. All of this plays into a film that is a bit like Logan to me. I loved it, but I have no desire rewatch it.

That was me with Baby Driver.

It's probably the weakest of Wright's films but I was having too much fun with how the movie essentially started remixing itself halfway through to care all that much.

I need to see that all the way through sometime when I am not sick.

It wasn't doing a lot for me, but I was distracted.

Baby Driver's still the most entertained I've been by any new film or tv this year not named Twin Peaks.

also Apes deserved better than it got but I understand why it wasn't a huge hit at the box office. the pacing and tone of the whole thing owes more to a blockbuster epic from the 60s/70s. and it was stuffed in between Spiderman and CHRIS NOLAN

3N16MA

Banned
Baby Driver's still the most entertained I've been by any new film or tv this year not named Twin Peaks.

also Apes deserved better than it got but I understand why it wasn't a huge hit at the box office. the pacing and tone of the whole thing owes more to a blockbuster epic from the 60s/70s. and it was stuffed in between Spiderman and CHRIS NOLAN

I honestly thought that Apes would cut HC legs moving forward.

I guess I was wrong.

How come y'all are acting so speechless when it comes to the fact that Apes flopped?

Is it that hard to understand that few people want to go see a movie about talking monkeys overthrowing humanity that takes place in the snow - that you have to have seen two others to understand, during the winter?

I don't understand why they didn't save this for fall. They should have done that and put the two previous films up on Netflix or something.

Jawmuncher

How come y'all are acting so speechless when it comes to the fact that Apes flopped?

Is it that hard to understand that few people want to go see a movie about talking monkeys overthrowing humanity that takes place in the snow - that you have to have seen two others to understand, during the winter?

I don't understand why they didn't save this for fall. They should have done that and put the two previous films up on Netflix or something.

That actually would've been a good idea

Busty

Banned
Our IT contest wrapped up this weekend. Here were the predictions (made 8-10 days ago):

Code:
USERNAME			PREDICTION (millions USD)
The Driver			$250.00
Biggest-Geek-Ever		$101.20
AdventureRacing			$95.00
[B]Busty 				$90.00[/B]
snap				$87.00
pestul				$85.50
Schlorgan			$85.00
Ignatz Mouse			$85.00
Freeza Under the Shower		$85.00
Cvie				$84.00
BronsonLee			$84.00
WhiteRabbitEXE			$83.50
Bobby Roberts			$83.00
PhonicipleBone			$82.50
Sgt. Kabukiman			$82.00
BumRush				$82.00
Caode				$82.00
Jigorath			$81.00
Miles X				$80.00
Saucycarpdog			$80.00
overcast			$79.00
CaviarMeths			$78.50
vinnygambini			$78.20
LordOfLore			$78.00
hodayathink			$77.00
GhaleonEB			$77.00
Kenzodielocke			$76.20
milanbaros			$76.00
What did he mean by this?	$76.00
FTF				$76.00
Random Human			$76.00
Phamit				$73.50
LFMartins86			$73.00
berzeli				$72.00
gamz				$72.00
Penguin				$71.80
Prompto				$71.40
AndyVirus			$71.00
Gentleman Jack			$70.30
catmincer			$69.00
Lifeline			$69.00
Famassu				$67.85
Slayven				$64.00
Chamber				$58.00
tonka				$55.00
ryutaro's mama			$0.000001

Congratulations and kudos to Biggest-Geek-Ever and AdventureRacing on winning.

I feel that finishing third, combined with my Wonder Woman prediction, fully justifies me walking around box office GAF wearing a cape and an insufferably smug grin for the next week.

So Spider-Man featuring Robert Downey Jnr's Iron Man actually passed wonder woman world wide? Honestly shocked.

Fixed.

Seeing 123 million pop up as It's actual weekend take

I'm going to say this is going to do better than a 50% drop next weekend. $70m might be a little too ambitious but $65m+ is possible.

Horror films are sold on iconography and it doesn't get better then the whole 'killer clown' angle. Couple that with the whole Stephen KIng brand and then awareness that the audience has with IT and you've got a home run.

I knew it would hit but $123m is waaaay above what even I, predicting success, would ever have thought.

Miles X

I read Florida is around 6% of Box Office take, but IT only took 1.8% from Floride. So 4% lost ... $5m~ so I guess it still wouldn't have beat Deadpool's $132m.

Busty

Banned
GEOSTORM UPDATE...,

I went to see Logan Lucky during the weekend (which I enjoyed immensely) and the trailer for Geostorm played before the film.

However, curiously, the film's trailer didn't have idents for either Warners or Skydance during the trailer. Almost as if the studio and everyone involved, where possible, want to distance themselves from this film.

Hmmmm.

I don't know man, I thought it was terrible and the second was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. I heard the same from my friends.

It's just so incredibly slow and there's zero reason to see it twice. I think bad WOM killed it.

The trailers also didn't look that great. It looked like the same movie all over again.

JoeBoy101

I expect more big budget King film adaptations and HBO, Netflix, all the major cable channels thinking of what books they could adapt into prestige series. I totally expect a new Salem's Lot and at least a big The Stand show (ideally a show, maybe a movie)

The Stand done properly as a series could get two to three seasons for HBO and be huge.

GhaleonEB

I read Florida is around 6% of Box Office take, but IT only took 1.8% from Floride. So 4% lost ... $5m~ so I guess it still wouldn't have beat Deadpool's $132m.

Texas gulf region is probably not watching a lot of movies in theaters this week, either.

While I'm sure the movie is going to do amazingly either way, is it possible Geostorm's gross takes a hit because because natural disasters is hitting just way too close to home this year?

Or maybe people will want to see Gerard Butler literally fight hurricanes. It's cathartic.

Busty

Banned
While I'm sure the movie is going to do amazingly either way, is it possible Geostorm's gross takes a hit because because natural disasters is hitting just way too close to home this year?

Or maybe people will want to see Gerard Butler literally fight hurricanes. It's cathartic.

Apparently Warners recently had theatres take down posters for Geostorm fearing they would be insensitive at this particular moment in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if WB kicked this all the way into the long, long grass of January as a result so they can bury it and be done with it once and for all.

Top Bottom