• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how no one mentions Pocketful of Rainbows anymore. Whew.

I'll put it this way, I've pretty much never seen anything Eureka 7 until this movie. I know the main show is supposedly very good, but as a movie, Hi Evolution 1 was fucking TERRIBLE. Mostly nonsense that didn't explain shit and the jumping around the pacing is probably one of the worst I've ever seen for anything. Like, the whole movie is flash backs that jump from 22 days prior to 3.5 hours prior to 3 hours prior to 13 days before then and then back to the present and then back 22 days prior. That kind of shit. Just insanely stupid.

That does sound quite fucking awful. Fuck Shaft for rushing the hell out of it (if it's true that they did).

I will have to say, recently, from what I've seen, the new Eureka 7 movie was pretty fucking bad.

It's one thing for a movie to be bad because the director had bad ideas - which isn't that uncommon - and another for it to be so mismanaged that it releases with unfinished animation. At least the new animation that was created for Hi-Evolution was well produced.

It's one thing for a movie to be bad because the director had bad ideas - which isn't that uncommon - and another for it to be so mismanaged that it releases with unfinished animation. At least the new animation that was created for Hi-Evolution was well produced.

That is true, but it does say something when you try your best to make something awful. Extreme mismanagement and putting your hard work into something that was awful from the get go (the movie, not the show) are both quite awful.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 7:

So did anybody ask for a training arc because we got one, a simple survival training one because the Abyss is a place with death is always lurking.

Made in Abyss - 07

That episode had more in store than I anticipated. Unfortunately the direction and editing (I think) wasn't very convincing. The action storyboarding had lots of close-ups and lacked dynamism. There wasn't really a single outstanding animation cut either, which I'd expect for this kind of fight.

javac

Thanks for the review javac.
No problem :)
I saw a trailer for this in this small Japanese media festival they have here in Toronto. Didn't have a chance to go watch it and wondering if they have a DVD/ Blu-ray release for the North American market as I might buy the movie to help them.
It's out in Japan on BD on the 15th of September and it's out on BD in the UK on October 23rd, US release is on the 14th of November if I'm correct.
Japanese BD:
h3qqUo5.jpg

[Bonus Footage]
  • Pilot Film
  • Crowdfunding Supporters Event Edition Beginning Episode "Fuyu no Kioku" ("Memories of Winter") (No Sound, Subtitled)
  • News Flash
  • Theatrical Trailer Collection
  • TV SPOT Collection
  • Thank You from Suzu
[Bonus Audio]
  • Audio commentary on this volume
  • [Commentary Collection] [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Ryusuke Hikawa (Anime/SFX Researcher), Ryota Fujitsu (Anime Critic)]
  • [Cast Collection] [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Minori Omi (Role of Keiko Kuromura), Megumi Han (Role of Sumi Urano), Mayumi Shintani (Role of San)]
[Other, Specifications]
  • 8-Page Booklet
Special Edition:
Lx285F2.jpg

[Bonus Features]
- Bonus Disc -
  • Making of the Film
  • Non Becomes Suzu (Working Title) [Performance: Non (the role of Suzu Urano)] *New interview and making-of footage
  • Special live performance to commemorate the release of the original soundtrack [Performance: Katasumi Quintet (Kotringo, other)]
  • Nerima Anime Carnival 2015 Talk Event [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Fumiyo Kono (Original Work)]
  • Kure City Museum Talk Event [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Fumiyo Kono (Original Work)]
  • Premier Advance Screening Event [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Non (Role of Suzu Urano), Kotringo (Music)]
  • Release Commemoration Extended Talk Event [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Fumiyo Kono (Original Work), Minori Omi (Role of Keiko Kuromura), Nanase Iwai (Role of Rin Shiraki), Mayumi Shintani (Role of San Houjou), other]
  • Theatrical Greeting Collection [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Non (Role of Suzu Urano), Minori Omi (Role of Keiko Kuromura), Megumi Han (Role of Sumi Urano), Nanase Iwai (Role of Rin Shiraki), Mayumi Shintani (Role of San Houjou), Kotringo (Music), other]
Deluxe 100-Page Booklet
[Bonus Footage]
  • Pilot Film
  • Crowdfunding Supporters Event Edition Beginning Episode "Fuyu no Kioku" ("Memories of Winter") (No Sound, Subtitled)
  • News Flash
  • Theatrical Trailer Collection
  • TV SPOT Collection
  • Thank You from Suzu
[Bonus Audio]
  • Audio commentary on this volume
  • [Commentary Collection] [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Ryusuke Hikawa (Anime/SFX Researcher), Ryota Fujitsu (Anime Critic)]
  • [Cast Collection] [Performance: Sunao Katabuchi (Director), Minori Omi (Role of Keiko Kuromura), Megumi Han (Role of Sumi Urano), Mayumi Shintani (Role of San)]
[Other, Specifications]
  • Deluxe Storage Case with Illustrations Specially Created by Chie Uratani (Assistant Director, Screen Layout)
  • Deluxe Inner Jacket
UK BD:
So Shaft's adaptation of Shunji Iwai's Fireworks film just came out in Japan, and impressions are that it's a total disaster. The animation is really unpolished, totally below the level of what is expected from theatrical features, the voice acting is bad, and thus it completely fails to sell any of its emotional character drama. The credits are really messy (25 assistant ADs and a big portion of the film outsourced to Lay-duce), and there have been rumblings from animators on Twitter about a messy movie project, so it looks like the film was super-rushed - not a surprise coming from Shaft, but still a shame. Director Nobuyuki Takeuchi has a lot of talent, so it's a shame Shaft's mismanagement dropped the ball so hard on what should have been a major mainstream movie.
That sucks, thanks for the update.

What are some others?

That's a broad question, but some other anime I would describe as calm and tender include:

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Gunslinger Girl
House of Five Leaves
Kaze no Matasaburou
Mushishi
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Only Yesterday
Shashinkan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Usagi Drop
When Marnie Was There
Wolf's Rain

Voror

Quick question. Does Media Blasters still hold the rights to GaoGaiGar or have they lapsed? It's one of those shows I've always wanted to see, but never have beyond clips. I have seen some of FINAL.

tuffy

Quick question. Does Media Blasters still hold the rights to GaoGaiGar or have they lapsed? It's one of those shows I've always wanted to see, but never have beyond clips. I have seen some of FINAL.
The DVDs are long out-of-print and Media Blasters cancelled a complete collection way back in 2012, so it's safe to assume their rights have lapsed.

Voror

The DVDs are long out-of-print and Media Blasters cancelled a complete collection way back in 2012, so it's safe to assume their rights have lapsed.

It'd be nice if someone picked them up. That feels like a good pick for RightStuf to publish for instance.

duckroll

Gunslinger Girl and Wolf's Rain may have action scenes, but overall they have a fairly subdued and reflective atmosphere. I certainly wouldn't describe them as "flashy and loud".

I dunno if I can ever categorize Wolf's Rain as "calm and tender" in any sense. It's mysterious, evocative, and there are a lot of character moments, but it's also a show that opens with an exciting and literally explosive train raid.

People are lying, that's what.

Wolf's rain is boring, not calming.

Permbanned.

e_i

I love the subtle screen tilt at the end of Gamers episode 6.
Everybody's reaction broke the screen!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For a second I thought you meant 'no YuruYuri movie in the cinemas'. Then I had to ask myself whether I would actually go see YrYr in the cinemas, in person.

maybe

Has the movie actually released abroad at all?

I don't even know if anything beyond the first two series have been released abroad, let alone the movie.

Then again, it's only the first two series that I'm interested in.

And I'm still waiting for AllTheAnime to make good on their Sunrise deal and bring us Xenoglossia. What's the point of getting those rights if you't give us the one show we all want?

John Blade

Gunslinger Girl and Wolf's Rain do have action scene but I won't recommend people for this but more of the story driven plot and character development. Both are very good show when I watch it for the 1st time and did an impression of the show. I would say it's very depressive show to watch as the subject matter for them mostly discuss serious stuff which some audience will want to try to avoid. I guess it come down to the audience of what they want to see when going to watch this two show (won't be surprise some people go into Gunslinger Girl just to see young girls fight with guns and come out depress and sadden of what happen to them in the story).

Either way, both are good show to watch but would recommend to adjust your expectation into serious tone and will need to watch something happy after you finish this show.

Qurupeke

Zaregoto 2-4
There's some progress, but I can still sum up the show as a murder mystery where girls harass the protagonist. Honestly, even the murder seems secondary to all these dialogues and the characters' circumstances. It's a cool show, however I feel it tries to be more clever than it actually is. Monogatari's like that too, but Zaregoto seems even more pretentious because the characters are supposed to be prodigies. The whole deal with the locked room trick was very underwhelming, a 1+1=2 situation that everyone seemed to consider a lot more complex for some reason. At least the characters are pretty nice. Also, the entire scene where Ilia changes her clothes in front of the main character was very funny.

Offer valid from 8/18/17 at 12:00 AM CST through 8/20/17 at 11:59 PM CST online at http://www.shop.sentaifilmworks.com to residents in the United States

Fuuuuuuu.....

Edit: Would anybody here be willing to help me get some of these bundles? :p

So Shaft's adaptation of Shunji Iwai's Fireworks film just came out in Japan, and impressions are that it's a total disaster.

Damn.

It's out in Japan on BD on the 15th of September and it's out on BD in the UK on October 23rd, US release is on the 14th of November if I'm correct.

Hm... I need to get this.

Hopefully with the same results last time the thread had that.

Naraging!

So just finished the recent Gamers episode.

Holy shit, the second half was like the greatest thing this year. I'm already at my third cigarette because I'm a broken mess now.

Cornbread78

So just finished the recent Gamers episode.

Holy shit, the second half was like the greatest thing this year. I'm already at my third cigarette because I'm a broken mess now.

I was getting so angry at that ridiculous build-up, but then "it" happened and I laughed my a$$ off. Shock and total disbelief followed.......

DiGiKerot

I was just watching the most recent episode of Gamers and suddenly realised that the terrible blonde-girl VN he keeps playing actually straight-up uses background art from a library used by a lot of doujin and low-end visual novels, which is a pretty great-if-intense joke.

RedSwirl

Patlabor Original OVA

pt7WQbg.jpg

This was the first subbed anime I saw on VHS way back in the 90's during that phase when I'd just discovered anime and was grabbing up every bit of it I could. Coming back to the Blu-Ray set now, it's much better than I remember. However I can also understand why Patlabor never got big in the west.

If you haven't seen it, mechs are the crux of the setting but the show isn't really about mechs. The main characters aren't portrayed as teenagers or super soldiers, bur just regular cops -- ordinary working people. So much of the footage is just about their characters along with the politics radiating in the background of the setting, that the actual mechs rarely take center stage, or at least don't as much as they would in one of the most popular mecha anime. In an interview about the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie, Mamoru Oshii even wondered if the US would one day try to do its own take on Patlabor, doing it "like Ghostbusters."

On the other hand, structurally I'm starting to realize Patlabor was kind of a predecessor to GitS Stand Alone Complex -- both being cop shows that involved Oshii. Watching this makes me want to watch SAC again but I heard the recent western Blu-Ray releases were terrible. I imagine they were rushed to get out in time for the Hollywood movie. Any hope of them ever trying another release or at least an improved print run?

Oh, and how is Psycho-Pass? I know it's a similar format and is from a lot of the same people, but I heard it might not be as good as SAC. It seems to have been a hit though since it got a second season, a VN, and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and order the first two Patlabor movies. Saw those back in the day too but only dubbed. I actually have the special edition DVDs of both (the ones in the big brown boxes with the art books) but I still want to get the Blu-Rays, maybe even put them in the DVD boxes. Patlabor 2 is probably one of the most underappreciated anime movies. I still listen to the soundtrack.

Edit: Oh, and I heard there was some new Patlabor stuff out more recently, like a live-action show and a CG OVA. Are those any good?

John Blade

It brings a smile to my face whenever I see somebody watch Patlabor, the TV series is amazing and so is the New Files OVA so check them out when you get the chance!

Which remind me, what one should you start watching on Patlabor series. I have the entire series on Blu-ray and wonder which to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom