• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

My sources pointed to much less than 3GB of RAM occupied by the OS and Kinect, etc. But at this point, things could change. We're actually at a point where small details can change a lot, and Sony having 4GB of RAM means that Microsoft has breathing room to play, perhaps. I have some ideas as to what some of the "secret sauce" might be, but I'm not ready to talk yet.
Really do you think MS didnt know these specs before?.

Even thought MS has a large amount of ram plus esRam they have to be careful the more they use for OS and other stuff means they less they have for gaming .
Which in turn mean the the harder it would be to keep up with 3.5GB GDDR5 in certain task .

Globox_82

Banned
7 month ago, and his 2 core 3GB RAM info was second hand and months old at the time? Did he get a more recent update than that?

he rarely post, but on previous page he says it's (still?) true.
I talked about most of this regarding Durango over the past year here - 8 cores at 1.6ghz, 8GB of slow ram, rough estimation of GPU, Win8 utilisation etc. The 3GB and 2 core dedicated to the OS is real. I guess you will just have to wait and see what they have in store.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46611598&postcount=1506

DieH@rd

Banned
In a perfect world... Kazunori Yamauchi would come to Youshida and Kaz, and tell them to put two more 512MB GDDR5 chips on PS4.

:D

My sources pointed to much less than 3GB of RAM occupied by the OS and Kinect, etc. But at this point, things could change. We're actually at a point where small details can change a lot, and Sony having 4GB of RAM means that Microsoft has breathing room to play, perhaps. I have some ideas as to what some of the "secret sauce" might be, but I'm not ready to talk yet.

What is this breathing room to play that you speak of? Do you have info about the other components in Orbis secret sauce?

Verendus

Banned
It's been really interesting reading all these threads regarding the specifications of the next Sony and MS devices. There's a lot of educated guesses based off rumour and logical deductions, and then there's the so called insider sources. All of it has been fun.

I will say though, if some of this stuff so called insiders are hinting at (special sauce, secret sauce etc.) turns out to be a bunch of a nonsense, you deserve to get banned.

All will be forgotten when they show gameplay footage of Zelda WiiU.

This is a great example because when they show Zelda Wii U it will be excellent but only because finally after 10 years we will get a substantial leap in what Zelda looks like. That being said though I don't expect to even eclipse the best looking games of this generation let alone touch the launch games of the next.

aegies

Really do you think MS didnt know these specs before?.

I think Microsoft and Sony are both playing guessing games about each other for 9 months out of the year, and there's only an illicit trading of secrets at GDC, E3, DICE, and gamescom. Orbis specs changed comparatively recently.

Karak

That is terrible news.

Agreed. My dude has been...well almost esp like. But still. Remember what I was saying about the balls out mentality. A couple things could have REALLY shifted inside that box(this is the time for it) and though the focus remains the same(control of everything in the living room space), how they go about it might be different. I will know more over the weekend which is nice. But not super hopeful.

Interested in the FPU for each core and what that improves.

Confirms that the 3GB/2core figure for the OS is old and that the information that Karak got could be the up-to-date information.

That only confirms it's old if he hadn't talked to his source in 7 months. He repeated it again in this thread. Not to mention Eurogamer is saying it now.

Iacobellis

SO MUCH HYPE I CAN'T CONTAIN IT ANYMORE! WHEN IS THE PLAYSTATION MEETING? OR DESTINATION PLAYSTATION? OR GDC? OH GOD, THE LONG WAIT UNTIL E3! I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!

aegies

What is this breathing room to play that you speak of? Do you have info about the other components in Orbis secret sauce?

I don't know anything about Orbis' secret sauce, other than I'd heard it was pretty straight forward overall. As for Durango, I have never wished I was software engineer as much as I have this week.

AndyH

Neo Member
Yes the info is old so it could have changed since then. If karak / aegies have trusted sources that have said differently recently then I would take their info over mine. It was true at that point - though I am not interested in getting any new info at this point. I'm happy just enjoying the speculation without a stacked deck

thuway

I think Microsoft and Sony are both playing guessing games about each other for 9 months out of the year, and there's only an illicit trading of secrets at GDC, E3, DICE, and gamescom. Orbis specs changed comparatively recently.

This is 100% correct. Quite frankly, the only thing manufacturers can change at this time is something like RAM amount or Bluray drive speed. Specs are final, and any drastic change will cost upwards of $500 million (redesigning, making new silicon, testing new silicon, sending out kits).

Jburton

Banned
I don't know anything about Orbis' secret sauce, other than I'd heard it was pretty straight forward overall. As for Durango, I have never wished I was software engineer as much as I have this week.

So exclusive "Making of Durango" video series on Polygon then?

JordanN

Banned
This is a great example because when they show Zelda Wii U it will be excellent but only because finally after 10 years we will get a substantial leap in what Zelda looks like. That being said though I don't expect to even eclipse the best looking games of this generation let alone touch the launch games of the next.
Can you explain?

Karak

I will say one thing. If ANYONE thinks that Sony and MS are sitting down at a table and knowing each others moves tit for tat. No. Ain't happening. They do hear things and they do react to speculation at a level far higher than ANYONE posting. But as I told Proelite many moons ago...a leap in the kits is totally possible and many changes still are right now.

EDIT:
I see Andy's data is old. Hmmm...
Going through my dates. It looks like...8 ball says "Talk to source because this is some confusing ass shit and maybe MS has decided to install Windows xp on their 720 just to say they could do it"

Reiko

Banned
Yes the info is old so it could have changed since then. If karak / aegies have trusted sources that have said differently recently then I would take their info over mine. It was true at that point - though I am not interested in getting any new info at this point. I'm happy just enjoying the speculation without a stacked deck

We're going in circles again.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify Andy, the speculation is interesting either way!

Mario007

In B3d are discussing about possible orbis secret sauce being 2 more shader CUs attached to the CPU for GPGPU processing tasks.This would add 200 gigaflops to the 100 gigaflops of the jaguar fpus for a total of 300 gigaflops for the cpu part, near 80 more than cell.
I asked this already, but doesn't the Orbis special sauce, sound extremely similar to a Cell design? Also the fact that we are hearing about it now for the first time could mean that this is a Sony chip that is being used rather than an AMD design, because as far as I know AMD doesn't really have a design that would fit the description of the commute module as per the article.

Also DF mentions that Orbis has more special sauce which we don't know about. It's becoming increasingly hard to see how MS could have a machine similar in power to the Orbis, with the raw processing power difference, much faster RAM, similar CPU base and Orbis having quite a lot of special sauce of its own, while the only advantage to Durago at this stage is the RAM number being higher.

spwolf

Hardware Zlib decompressor/accelerator

i am left wondering why would they need that when choke point for deflate decompressor right now is HDD speed not CPU.

It is not a server that needs 500 MBs throughtput for deflate because it has 200 users uploading their backups to it.

Unless those Jaguar cores are slower than HDDs, which I doubt.

i-Lo

I will say one thing. If ANYONE thinks that Sony and MS are sitting down at a table and knowing each others moves tit for tat. No. Ain't happening. They do hear things and they do react to speculation at a level far higher than ANYONE posting. But as I told Proelite many moons ago...a leap in the kits is totally possible and many changes still are right now.

Even a change in RAM type and amount (Would Sony really change the ram amount if it still remains GDDR5)?

sTeLioSco

Banned
I don't know anything about Orbis' secret sauce, other than I'd heard it was pretty straight forward overall.

As for Durango, I have never wished I was software engineer as much as I have this week.

1) before the redesign you mentioned?

2) if you write a next-gen-leaks article try to be "careful" then..........

Karak

I was told 1:1.5 AFTER those.

Even a change in RAM type and amount (Would Sony really change the ram amount if it still remains GDDR5)?
I don't know where they are in their process but it needs to be understood that if a company DOES want to make a chance they can. Repercussions...look at the Saturn. But its possible.

Smaller little changes. Sure until they begin the actual fab process. It really all depends on WHAT?

I cant believe there are people in this forum with contacts or friends that know things and MS and Sony employes not.I am sure the 4 gb for PS4 is because they knew MS was going for 8.Epic begged for 8gb of memory last year!.If that wasnt a hint for sony...

Can you explain?

I don't think it will look better than GOW3, Gears, Halo 4, Uncharted. I think Nintendo will be able to reach a level incrementally better than the best after several years of development on the system but I don't think it will ever be able to blow past even the standouts on the PS3/360. Of course just my opinion

EDIT:
I see Andy's data is old. Hmmm...
Going through my dates. It looks like...8 ball says "Talk to source because this is some confusing ass shit and maybe MS has decided to install Windows xp on their 720 just to say they could do it"

Yep.

Just check back with the source

aegies

1) before the redesign you mentioned?

2) if you write a next-gen-leaks article try to be "careful" then..........

The redesign was pretty straightforward, again, from my understanding. With regards to any sort of leaks, I've already said elsewhere that we would rather be right, and more importantly for our audience, provide proper context and explanations, than just blast info out there that a) we haven't 100 percent confirmed and b) we don't understand.

I cant believe there are people in this forum with contacts or friends that know things and MS and Sony employes not.I am sure the 4 gb for PS4 is because they knew MS was going for 8.Epic begged for 8gb of memory last year!.If that wasnt a hint for sony...

Doesn't 8GB seem like a kind of arbitrary number for a high profile engine developer to publicly demand?

teiresias

MS can design Durango around "controlling the living room" as much as they want. So long as I've got to pay for a Gold subscription just to use clients for streaming services I'm already paying a subscription for I'll have nothing to do with it.

**throws money at the screen**

Really exciting! I don’t even care if it costs $599 all over again if it’s going to be this good. It’s all about value for money baby!

Top Bottom