• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Can't bring yourself to think meat animals as living, feeling creatures? Whatever helps you sleep at night, lol.

They weren't more or less living creatures than all the other animals we raise and turn into food.

Well, the pigs weren't saved as a secondary consequence of firefighting - they were saved because, in theory, we don't like it when piglets die. Like, the news story "Firefighters save pigs!" doesn't get attention because we're glad the livelihood of the farmer was protected, y'know?

I mean, they were there because a building was on fire. Saying they rescued pigs is how you attemp to create a controversy over the farmer gifting the sausages these pigs were always destined to become 6 months after the fire was put out.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, the pigs we're being farmed for meat production originally, right? Why should they not be used for meat just because they were saved from a fire?

Also the title says piglets, but that was 6 months ago. Would they still be considered piglets at this point or is this the normal point where they would be slaughtered?
I don't think people are having issue with them being used for meat, rather who they were served to. Its a bit dark.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
They weren't more or less living creatures than all the other animals we raise and turn into food.

I mean, they were there because a building was on fire. Saying they rescued pigs is how you attemp to create a controversy over the farmer gifting the sausages these pigs were always destined to become 6 months after the fire was put out.

What does this even mean? Yea we raised them to eat but they're still living creatures that exhibit emotion and pain.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I really hate how devoid of empathy people look and act (like the one posted above with the dog) with how they treat and slaughter animals. We get it, you're going to kill an animal, but why must you look and behave like such a barbaric and remorseless asshole? It really hurts to see.

A lot of people are weirdly defensive about and threatened by the idea of vegetarians... doesn't really bother me because I think it kind of betrays the fact that they're uncomfortable with their meat eating on some level.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The disregard for other creatures lives in here is a bit appalling.

But that's life. Even in 2017.

What are you talking about? I love animals: beef, lamb, pork, chicken, duck rabbit .. it's all delicious.

Meh, I don't think it's possible to eat meat and still be offended by this. If you're a vegan/vegetarian then be my guest and be morally outraged but otherwise I view the callousness as just being honest with yourself.

I really hate how devoid of empathy people look and act (like the one posted above with the dog) with how they treat and slaughter animals. We get it, you're going to kill an animal, but why must you look and behave like such a barbaric and remorseless asshole? It really hurts to see.

I feel like you mostly see this behavior when self-righteous folks in the vegan/vegetarian community come out and get mad about something that makes perfect sense.

These animals were bred to be food. Their entire existence was brought about for that purpose. Of course they were still killed, cooked, and eaten despite being saved from the fire.

Even as a meat eater I find this disturbing.

Yeah, I eat sausage all the time but the idea of saving these piglets, and then being the ones to eat them later just feels a bit... heartless?

Like yeah, they'd die regardless but it's kind of fucked up.

Well yeah because they are.

Yeah, because a pig raised on a farm by a dedicated farmer is totally the same a dog being slaughtered in the middle of the street under stress.

I bet you those pigs get better lives than some people. Not every farm animal is raised in harsh conditions and slaughtered under stress.

I love sausage more than I could ever describe, but I don't know that I could really eat an animal that I knew and cared for while it was alive.

While I completely understand that they were bred for slaughter, serving them to the people who "saved" them is a little bit weird to me. They were saved only to be slaughtered, and they were slaughtered only to have the meat donated instead of bringing a profit. Makes the whole thing feel like an exercise in futility.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you mostly see this behavior when self-righteous folks in the vegan/vegetarian community come out and get mad about something that makes perfect sense.

These animals were bred to be food. Their entire existence was brought about for that purpose. Of course they were still killed, cooked, and eaten despite being saved from the fire.

At no point did I refer to the reason these animals exist. I was simply speaking to how a lot of animals are treated when raised and slaughtered. Maybe not in this particular story, but that picture with the dog sparked my imagination and just brought back memories of the heinous shit I used to see in Facebook videos posted of slaughterhouses.

I think the issue is people are humanizing and getting pictures of firefighters rushing into the barn, picking up the pigs, wrapping them in blankets and jumping out of the exploding barn.

And then taking an axe to their skull and serving them up on the chard remains of the barn.

Why not? We're animals all the same. If at some point in the future something like Soylent Green gets made from dead people for our nutrition and consumption, would you eat it?

I mean, if you ignore that the main argument of eating meat is human live is always more valuable than other species (even with a curve), then sure.

shandy706

Being slowly burnt to death vs being killed quickly and eaten

I'll take the latter everytime.

Yeah, and that was what they were for anyway.

However, it would be weird eating something that you saved if I'm honest.

Protecting your food/income is normal though.

moggio

Banned
Yeah, because a pig raised on a farm by a dedicated farmer is totally the same a dog being slaughtered in the middle of the street under stress.

I bet you those pigs get better lives than some people. Not every farm animal is raised in harsh conditions and slaughtered under stress.

I'm sure believing this helps you get through the day.

Why not? We're animals all the same. If at some point in the future something like Soylent Green gets made from dead people for our nutrition and consumption, would you eat it?

Because it's ridiculous. Your other nonsense point isn't worth entertaining either, sorry.

I think the issue is people are humanizing and getting pictures of firefighters rushing into the barn, picking up the pigs, wrapping them in blankets and jumping out of the exploding barn.

And then taking an axe to their skull and serving them up on the chard remains of the barn.

Yep. People keep projecting human emotions onto this situation like they were little children saved and then served up for dinner.

Lol we are heading for an animal genocide post any time now.

I'm all about eating meat but this is... Unnerving to me.

It's kind of a strange situation, yeah. Like...why did those firefighters spend time and money saving them if they were going to get killed on the firefighter's behalf. Was it worth putting their own lives in danger to save their own lunch? Not bad but a weird end to the story.

Ladies and gentlemen, human beings.

That's what I think when I see a sentence like this:
"I gave those animals the best quality of life I could ever give until the time they go to slaughter..."

It's times like this that remind me I need to stop being a lazy asshole and go veggie. I would never be able to make a statement like that with a straight face.

Sure. But if you tell someone that pigs were saved from a fire, they'll be happy, because they value the lives of pigs, and they would assume that the people saving them did as well.

As a society, we praise saving animals, because we value non-human lives.

However, as a society, we also treat animals as objects, so killing them and offering them as a reward is appropriate.

The dissonance is why people are uncomfortable. Living in a society that values animal life but also values killing animals to eat them requires a disconnect that most people don't like to see bridged.

Indeed.

It's kind of a strange situation, yeah. Like...why did those firefighters spend time and money saving them if they were going to get killed on the firefighter's behalf. Was it worth putting their own lives in danger to save their own lunch?

That's what I think when I see a sentence like this:
"I gave those animals the best quality of life I could ever give until the time they go to slaughter..."

It's times like this that remind me I need to stop being a lazy asshole and go veggie. I would never be able to make a statement like that with a straight face.

I doubt the firefighters got a call that pigs needed saving specifically. There was a fire, they put it out. Pigs happened to be there.

KHlover

Banned
Req6JmZ.png
Same tbh. Although with horse it's just the taste I do not like, not the whole "pet" thing.

I doubt the firefighters got a call that pigs needed saving specifically. There was a fire, they put it out. Pigs happened to be there.

I guess if the saving of the animals was completely incidental to their firefighting efforts and never one of their goals then that's not quite as strange an ending but I don't think the article specifies so it's hard to say.

MogCakes

I mean, if you ignore that the main argument of eating meat is human live is always more valuable than other species (even with a curve), then sure.
What curve would that be? We don't eat dogs or cats because it isn't in the culture of North Americans, and many pet owners value their pets as much as they would their other loved ones. Seems pretty subjective.

Because it's ridiculous. Your other nonsense point isn't worth entertaining either, sorry.
Dismissing it doesn't make it go away!

daveo42

Banned
Dog is delicious too apparently.

25-China-Dog-EPA.jpg

This guy loves getting murdered for food.

He was bred to be slaughtered guys. It's fine.

The difference here is that animals like cats and dogs were domesticated in the West. Odd question btw, but would you say the same thing about insects as food? Is that cruel too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom