• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Elop to become new lead of MS' devices division, including Xbox.

Elop and Lars Green will be focusing on alot of things and won't be solely focused on Xbox day to day. This means someone within the Xbox unit will end up overseeing the day to day stuff most of the time IMO. I just hope that person isn't Phil Spencer......

herod

All Nokia needed to do was create an Android handset. They still had enormous mindshare. But nooooooo, they had to have whatever turd Microsoft crapped out. Shame.

CoG

Elop and Lars Green will be focusing on alot of things and won't be solely focused on Xbox day to day. This means someone within the Xbox unit will end up overseeing the day to day stuff most of the time IMO. I just hope that person isn't Phil Spencer......

mdlQ8dy.jpg

spwolf

What's the source of those charts? I know they quote sources for the data, but that group of charts reads like some Nokia fan who hates Microsoft using data and a lot of confirmation bias to make it look like Nokia was doing fine and dandy before MS got involved. It's so off base from what most in the industry knows about the state of the company.

Nokia had almost completely disappeared from the US marketplace, Symbian inadequate to keep with other OSs, and the company was spiraling, held up only by it's low end market. Most of that data represent in that chart is explained by the fact that Nokia transitioned away from Symbian. That loss would have been there with Meego/Manhattan, even with Android. New devices don't do anything when most of your market is moving to iphone.

uh source is listed on the charts, it is done by analysts not fanboys....

What Elop did - announced end of sales of their current product, years before it will happen and start of sales of their new products, months before it launches, crashing their shares and sales, should be criminally prosecuted.

Walshicus

Sounds good. Nokia under Elop has put out some great - arguably the best - products and has managed to lift the sunken ship he inherited off the bottom of the ocean.

massoluk

Banned
Nokia was dead to me when they dropped that beautiful N900 with that keyboard for N9. But Elop probably didn't help by going with Windows instead of Android.

FeiRR

Banned
Faces keep changing at Microsoft's Xbox division. Fortunately Kinect can recognize them to switch players.

kharma45

Sounds good. Nokia under Elop has put out some great - arguably the best - products and has managed to lift the sunken ship he inherited off the bottom of the ocean.

Yep. The stuff Nokia was putting out like the 5800 and N97 for example to compete with the iPhone were a joke frankly, and continuing on the Symbian path would've been the wrong way to go. Elop's decision may not have been popular but I feel it was the right one.

I dont know if you should be putting the man who ran Nokia into the ground in charge of Xbox.

Also, Doesnt this prove what people have been saying all along? That elop was always a Microsoft man and was put there to essentially make Nokia a Microsoft company, with a view to buy them eventually?

This.....and it's ridiculous....

Yep. The stuff Nokia was putting out like the 5800 and N97 for example to compete with the iPhone were a joke frankly, and continuing on the Symbian path would've been the wrong way to go. Elop's decision may not have been popular but I feel it was the right one.

This. My Nokia Lumia 920 is quite honestly the best cell phone I've ever owned and I've owned the first 4 generations of iPhones. I honestly don't think Nokia would even still be in business today if they stayed the course. They were going to take a serious hit, but they managed to survive.

Watch the man do interviews and presentations and compare it to the other hacks that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft march out there for their respective clown shows. He's on point and is great with messaging.

He's exactly what Microsoft could have used for the Xbox One these past few months.

He's particularly professional at memos. Best messaging ever.

Pug

This. My Nokia Lumia 920 is quite honestly the best cell phone I've ever owned and I've owned the first 4 generations of iPhones. I honestly don't think Nokia would even still be in business today if they stayed the course. They were going to take a serious hit, but they managed to survive.

This, had the Nokia 920 since last November, easily the best mobile device I have ever used. The windows environment is the best operating system I have used on a phone also. Interesting point, when people in work have used it they have all gone and bought lumia's or HTC windows phones themselves.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, this is AWFUL news.

Elop almost single-handedly railroaded Nokia into irrelevance; destroying their innovative and powerful internal smartphone teams and even sacrificing their feature phone dominance in a failed attempt at chasing that Windows phone dream.

We were better off with Ballmer. Way better off.

Mooreberg

I dont know if you should be putting the man who ran Nokia into the ground in charge of Xbox
He ran Nokia precisely how Microsoft wanted him to.

Microsoft + Nokia - $7.17 billion
Google + Motorola - $12.5 billion

tell me, who won ?

The upside for profits on Android handsets is orders of magnitude higher than that of Windows Phone. The trick is not going so fast that Samsung gets alarmed and starts pushing an alternative (Tizen).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Microsoft + Nokia - $7.17 billion
Google + Motorola - $12.5 billion

tell me, who won ?

Google overpaid for Motorola. By a lot. Their patent portfolio isn't worth anything near what Google thought and their phone hardware business hasn't done anything. It was not a good deal.

Google overpaid for Motorola. By a lot. Their patent portfolio isn't worth anything near what Google thought and their phone hardware business hasn't done anything. It was not a good deal.

Not to mention that MS didn't buy whole Nokia. Only phone unit. They didn't even buy the name or patents. Only licensed them.

If anyone can look at the recent trend of restructuring in MS and personnel change and NOT come to the conclusion that it doesn't bode well for the XBone's prospects, I want some of whatever they're smoking.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If anyone can look at the recent trend of restructuring in MS and personnel change and NOT come to the conclusion that it doesn't bode well for the XBone's prospects, I want some of whatever they're smoking.

Xbox One is unquestionably moving to a more central spot in the company's strategy. The idea that this is a bad thing is just crazy. It will benefit from more resources, more attention, etc.

nekomix

What? Elop comes back to MS?!... WHAT? Nokia sold their mobile division to MS?!?

... Well done Steve, well done, that's a dirty way but what a wonderful way to do this. We should make a movie about this :) Let's see where all these acquisitions will head MS to.

Duxxy3

There needs to be a person with a gaming industry background to lead the xbox side of this division.

Xbox One is unquestionably moving to a more central spot in the company's strategy. The idea that this is a bad thing is just crazy. It will benefit from more resources, more attention, etc.

Central? On the contrary. It used to have its own division, now it shares a division with recently purchased Nokia and a floundering Windows Phone platform. The head of the Xbox division used to just worry about Xbox and knew a thing or two about games even if it wasn't a lot. Now it's the CEO of a phone company who will mostly be preoccupied with phones while having this annoying video game console to worry about as well.

Omega

Banned
So does this mean we'll get more classic lines like "we have a product for those people, it's called the Xbox 360" and "we overdeliver on value"

FStop7

Banned
They should get the "Xbox is the next water cooler" lady to run the division. She seems really hip and in touch with the kids and the hot trends.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Central? On the contrary. It used to have its own division, now it shares a division with recently purchased Nokia and a floundering Windows Phone platform. The head of the Xbox division used to just worry about Xbox and knew a thing or two about games even if it wasn't a lot. Now it's the CEO of a phone company who will mostly be preoccupied with phones while having this annoying video game console to worry about as well.

A division that is now moving more to the forefront of the company.

Microsoft is transitioning from a software company to a device and services company. Xbox has been MS' most successful device by far and it drives services they want to push as well, like cloud and media. But think whatever you want.

A division that is now moving more to the forefront of the company.

Microsoft is transitioning from a software company to a device and services company. Xbox has been MS' most successful device by far and it drives services they want to push as well, like cloud and media. But think whatever you want.
Windows Phone will fail hard, Devices and Services will be deep in the red and even if XBone is fairly profitable the whole division could get axed as a result due to activist investor pressure.

This is a hail mary move that I see backfiring badly.

Lynn616

Oh boy. Nokia was on the way down before Elop got there. The iPhone and Android killed them. Nokia’s stock had fallen more than 60 percent between Apple’s June 2007 introduction of the iPhone and when Elop was hired in Sept. 2010. Market value had fallen $61 Billion in that same time frame.

graywolf323

Nokia was destroing them fine by themselves:

KrzwkN1.jpg

your chart is off, Elop was hired in September of 2010 not 2011

edit: unless I'm reading the chart wrong? it's hard to tell to be honest

edit 2: nvm upon further review it looks like you have it right, but he still damaged them even further

diffusionx

Gold Member
Windows Phone will fail hard, Devices and Services will be deep in the red and even if XBone is fairly profitable the whole division could get axed as a result due to activist investor pressure.

Windows Phone has been, at worst, mildly successful. Not as successful as MS (or Nokia) hoped, but it's in a solid #3 position in the marketplace. It's basically been eating away at RIM's marketshare, actually.

Activist investors wanted MS to spin off (not axe, spin off) Xbox because they believed that it was interfering with the company's core businesses. MS has responded by basically turning Xbox into a core business, so we'll see how it goes. If the One has huge losses and billion-dollar write-offs like Xbox 360, yes investors are going to get upset. Wouldn't you?

This is a hail mary move that I see backfiring badly.

OK.

I don't want the Xbone to fail or hard working developers and engineers to lose their jobs but part of me wants this business plan to fail so hard just because Microsoft seems so bent on making every possible wrong move.

Ushae

Banned
Windows Phone has been, at worst, mildly successful. Not as successful as MS (or Nokia) hoped, but it's in a solid #3 position in the marketplace. It's basically been eating away at RIM's marketshare, actually.

Activist investors wanted MS to spin off (not axe, spin off) Xbox because they believed that it was interfering with the company's core businesses. MS has responded by basically turning Xbox into a core business, so we'll see how it goes. If the One has huge losses and billion-dollar write-offs like Xbox 360, yes investors are going to get upset. Wouldn't you?

OK.

Highly doubt there will be any billion dollor write offs this time around, what with all that venting.

Ushae

Banned
I have always found this funny.

"Elop didn't start the Nokia spiral! He just failed to correct it or slow it at all!"

Congrats I guess?

Look at March 2012 onwards, tell me what you see?

Not sure what you equate to a successful turnaround, what were you expecting from Nokia from such dire circumstances, an Apple-like boom?

He's done a good job considering his short tenure with Nokia.

Nothing says long term commitment to the XBone like lumping it in with a failing phone platform and putting a phone guy in charge of both.

Top Bottom