• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
So I fell down the hole of watching Kitchen Nightmares videos on YouTube and I don't think I can look back. Something so interesting about his shitty puns "Crab cake? More like Crap Cake" his anger at moldy food, the eventually success and also the crazy ass people who just don't admit they are wrong.

And Nino of course

All in all very fun to just watch him go from disgusted to angry to happy. But when he gets scorched earth angry...whew. Ramsey da god

The British version was amazing and seemed genuine. The American version is the same shit every episode that feels masssivlt scripted.

Lamel

Banned
The original british kitchen nightmares was fantastic.
The american version is fun to watch but has gotten much crazier over the years.

Sheroking

Gordon Ramsay is the dude you're vaguely familiar with as a "Simon Cowell" type angry/asshole brit and think nothing of - until you fall down the YouTube hole and realize that dude is legit.

Kitchen Nightmares and Hotel Hell are bizzarely addictive. The first episodes of Hell's Kitchen is worth watching because he makes them all cook him their signature dish and destroys their souls.

My favorite Ramsay videos though don't feature his temper at all. They're his "Great Escape" episodes where he goes to a bunch of exotic locations, explores and learns stuff. They're great. All on YouTube as well.

LionPride

Banned
Gordon Ramsay is the dude you're vaguely familiar with as a "Simon Cowell" type angry/asshole brit and think nothing of - until you fall down the YouTube hole and realize that dude is legit.

Kitchen Nightmares and Hotel Hell are bizzarely addictive. The first episodes of Hell's Kitchen is worth watching because he makes them all cook him their signature dish and destroys their souls.

My favorite Ramsay videos though don't feature his temper at all. They're his "Great Escape" episodes where he goes to a bunch of exotic locations, explores and learns stuff. They're great. All on YouTube as well.
I love the stuff where he's being an actual person and not just explosive anger. Which is why I kinda like the UK Kitchen Nightmares more. I'll check his Great Escape stuff, thanks for the tip.

2.gif

Bluth54

It's a fun show (if a little too melodramatic at times, the British version is better with this). I wish Gordon Ramsey hadn't decided to end the show and hope he decides to bring it back someday. He does have a show call Hotel Hell that's similar but with Hotels (and the attached restaurants of course).

I would also suggested checking out Hotel Impossible (which is Hotel focused) and The Profit (which features Marcus Lemonis, the CEO of Camping World, investing his own money into struggling small businesses and becoming part owners of them while turning them around). Both are great Kitchen Nightmare type of shows.

Hazmat

The British version was amazing and seemed genuine. The American version is the same shit every episode that feels masssivlt scripted.

Yep. Gordon Ramsay is great when he's being himself and awful when he's putting on an act. Hell's Kitchen is the worst offender, but it gave me "If you sauté scallops in a non-stick pan they won't stick, that's why it's called fucking non-stick!" so I forgive it.

I tap out when he's obviously hamming it up at how bad the food is, which is almost every episode.

Its just some fucking Cisco/USfood frozen appetizer, its not that bad, you don't need to spit it out in disgust.

Protome

Yep. The British version has long run time for each episode and were more documentary style as Ramsay helped try to fix these failing places.

The US one was just "look how wacky the owner of this place is" and like 10 minutes of content repeated over and over throughout an episode.

Bluth54

US version was clearly overly scripted crap. British version was actually interesting.

I don't think the US version is scripted, he was just told by the producers to amp up the drama to go along with what most people in the US think his personality is.

Dio

Banned
I tap out when he's obviously hamming it up at how bad the food is, which is almost every episode.

Its just some fucking Cisco/USfood frozen appetizer, its not that bad, you don't need to spit it out in disgust.

Ehh, I've seen plenty of episodes where it turned out they put shit in a freezer that didn't even work, the food was contaminated because they put different kinds of raw meat next to vegetables without any separation, the giant tubs of rotting food, et cetera.

I ate at one of the places on the show both before and after transformation. It actually did get way better, but then a few months later, it got shitty again, and then it closed down a few years later. I read that this isn't even uncommon for restaurants featured on the show.

Alx

I sometimes watch the British show when I randomly catch it on TV, but in the end I find it difficult to enjoy. Ramsay himself is great, he's someone who knows what he's talking about, obviously loves cuisine and gives great advice. But watching all those people who have "failure" painted all over themselves... it's hard to endure. Even if most of it is supposed to end as a success story, it's still watching the outcome of a wreckage.

Sheroking

I ate at one of the places on the show both before and after transformation. It actually did get way better, but then a few months later, it got shitty again, and then it closed down a few years later. I read that this isn't even uncommon for restaurants featured on the show.

Most of the restaurants on KN got shut down at some point. A lot of them are just in dire straits and it's hard to make a second impression for a restaurant.

Weirdly, almost all of the hotels on Hotel Hell have made it though. A few in the first season didn't and then he has a perfect record.

My favorite part of the show is when Gordon walks into a joint, looks around, and is says something like "Oh dear...", "Sh*t...", or "F**k me..."

Oh yeah. I also actually was on a taping of an episode (but didn't make it onto the show). I later found out that we were eating at the "before" restaurant, but they didn't tell us whether it was before or after. The food was actually fine, if unspectacular, and we were instructed to keep talking about the food, in case the camera came by for b-roll. Talking about the food the whole time was actually quite difficult. And then eventually he shut the whole thing down. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Protome

Most of the restaurants on KN got shut down at some point. A lot of them are just in dire straits and it's hard to make a second impression for a restaurant.

Weirdly, almost all of the hotels on Hotel Hell have made it though. A few in the first season didn't and then he has a perfect record.
The UK KN series were filmed before the recession. Those restauraunts largely shut down during that.

The US show was never about fixing restauraunts.

LionPride

Banned
I gotta admit I get a laugh at an owner who's excuse for food that looks like shit is "He don't know the culture, he doesn't know what he's talking about."

The US version may be overscripted as hell, but I love that shit.

Protome

2011ramsayes_415x588.jpg

My favourite episode, so sad to hear the restaurant closed down
She opened a new one and also released a cookbook and did the rounds on cooking shows for a bit. Charita Jones has come out of that episode much better than most people do.

thuway

There is this one episode where they had two brothers with a seafood restraunt in New Orleans that was hammed up to hilarity.

Bluth54

Yeah most of the restaurants in Kitchen Nightmare are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debit when Gordon goes to them, even with an improvement it's not hard to understand why they shut down, especially when the restaurant business so so unforgiving.

I would suggest checking out The Profit though, since Marcus Lemonis invests his own money in the businesses and becomes part owner they do a number of follow up shows to show how the businesses on the show have done. It's actually interesting to see how he likes to buy into businesses that synergize with his other businesses, for example in the first season he buys a stake in a place you can take your car to and get cash, then in the next season he buys a stake in a car dealership so he can take the cars from the car cash place and sell them at the dealership.

Sam Handwich

Neo Member
"Chimichanga? More like chimi-chuck-it-in-the-bin!"

EDIT- I love the bits in his other show where he makes his children raise animals, love them, and then eat them.

Maximo

What happened to her anyway? I read that her husband got deported and banned from US, France and Germany

"Amy's Baking company is no more: Notorious Kitchen Nightmares restaurant closes after owners threatened to stab customers, stole from their own staff and broke iron-willed Gordon Ramsay
In the fallout, it emerged Amy had done time for misusing a Social Security number, Samy was jailed for drugs and a video emerged appearing to show him threatening a customer with a knife.
After attempting to cash in on their notoriety with T-shirts and featuring some of their 'catchphrases' like 'I speak feline MEOW!' and 'Here's your pizza, go f**k yourself,' Samy and Amy may be done."

"Amy's Baking company is no more: Notorious Kitchen Nightmares restaurant closes after owners threatened to stab customers, stole from their own staff and broke iron-willed Gordon Ramsay
In the fallout, it emerged Amy had done time for misusing a Social Security number, Samy was jailed for drugs and a video emerged appearing to show him threatening a customer with a knife.
After attempting to cash in on their notoriety with T-shirts and featuring some of their 'catchphrases' like 'I speak feline MEOW!' and 'Here's your pizza, go f**k yourself,' Samy and Amy may be done."

No half-way job there. That is EPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom