• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA has ~15 Frostbite games in development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And some of them are fairly large teams:

fb1gsfj3.png

fb2p3fjh.png

Source: http://www.bionicbeagle.com/files/Scaling the Pipeline.pdf

The rest of the slides probably aren't too interesting unless you like build systems.

Since I'm sure someone will ask, here are the known ones:

1.) Battlefield 4
2.) Dragon Age 3
3.) Mass Effect 4
4.) Need For Speed 2013
5.) Visceral's New IP
6.) Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
7.) Plants Vs. Zombies TF2
8.) Command & Conquer
Presumed 9.) BioWare's New IP

That leaves ~6 to guess at, though it's not unlikely Criterion is switching to the engine as well for Need For Speed 2014.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
10) Mass Effect 5
11) Mass Effect 6
12) Mass Effect 7
13) Mass Effect 8
14) Mass Effect 9
15) Mirror's Edge 2

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Where does this information come from, is it from a conference or an earnings call? Regardless, nice to see that they are using this engine extensively. It can only lead to a higher understanding of it and thus hopefully better work on quality.

Edit: ;)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Battlefield 4: Flashlights and Laser Pointers Edition

This is actually exciting news, the Frostbite engine can sure pump out some beautiful graphics.

Mirror's Edge 2 is pretty much the only upcoming EA game I'm genuinely psyched about. And that will last up until they show off a much more market-friendly Mirror's Edge.

USC-fan

Banned
I hope BF4 is a launch title for gen4 consoles!! Come on DICE! Just match the PC version at 1080p @ 30/60 fps and 64 ppl maps..

I'm assuming not since their sports engines are basically built with the sole purpose of simulating one sport.

Their sports engines all share tons of code though. Texture and poly formats are similar (and also were similar to some of the older Need for Speed games). Menu systems are similar. And while I'm guessing the physics stuff is heavily customized, they were all developed with knowledge sharing so there may be shared libraries for that stuff too.

Sethos

Banned
Still amazed people want Mirror's Edge 2. They will royally screw up everything that was good about the first game and taint the name. Mirror's Edge is a gem that is to be preserved and not followed up - Guess that's just me.

Still amazed people want Mirror's Edge 2. They will royally screw up everything that was good about the first game and taint the name. Mirror's Edge is a gem that is to be preserved and not followed up - Guess that's just me.

Ideally, we could get a game that actually ironed out the flaws (of which there are plenty) while giving us more of what was so great about it. Here, in reality, we'll just get snazzy new guns, big ticket cinematics and cool FPV kills. So it's definitely a dreadful type of anticipation.

JWong

Banned
FIFA's animation system is part of Frostbite, but FIFA does not run on the rest of the engine.

It's actually the other way around.

Frostbite is using a component of FIFA's animation engine called ANT, so FIFA isn't using Frostbite 2 at all.

I'm really, really curious to see how Frostbite fairs in different genres besides just shooters. We've got NFS: The Run but I'm really curious to see how BioWare does it with Dragon Age and Command and Conquer.

I wonder, does EA or DICE have a separate team that just provides internal support for Frostbite since pretty much everyone is using it now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's actually the other way around.

Frostbite is using a component of FIFA's animation engine called ANT, so FIFA isn't using Frostbite 2 at all.

Yes, but the team that makes that is now considered part of the Frostbite team, so it's part of Frostbite.

At least I assume that's what the Frostbite team in Vancouver is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm really, really curious to see how Frostbite fairs in different genres besides just shooters. We've got NFS: The Run but I'm really curious to see how BioWare does it with Dragon Age and Command and Conquer.

I wonder, does EA or DICE have a separate team that just provides internal support for Frostbite since pretty much everyone is using it now?

They showed a bit more footage of Command & Conquer in their infomercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-IAgkRhFeY&feature=player_embedded

Certainly looks nice at least.

Top Bottom