• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS |OT| A Link Between Worlds.

Fj0823

C5DseG5XUAAoZYO.jpg:small

What's Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS?

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS is the sixth Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series and the fifth main spin-off series, which began airing in Japan on May 10, 2017, following the end of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V.

When?
Every Wednesday at 6:25 pm Japanese Standard Time.

Ok So what is it this time? Card Games in Space? On Unicorns?

Close, but it's actually cardgames while surfing the wind a la Eureka Seven while inside a Tron-like cyberspace world.

Den City. In this city, with the advanced network technology developed by the corporation "SOL Technology", a Virtual Reality space called "Link VRAINS" (Link Virtual Reality Artificial Intelligence Network System) has been developed.

By using Link VRAINS exciting VR duels unfold where Duelists change their appearance separate from their real life identities

However, in "LINK VRAINS", a mysterious hacker group that hacks via Dueling has appeared: The Knights of Hanoi. Their goal is to destroy the "AI World" known as "Cyberse" that exists somewhere in the depths of the Network.

However, there is one Duelist who stands against this threat to "LINK VRAINS". His name is "Playmaker". He has become famous in the Network World for crushing the "Knights of Hanoi" in fierce Duels. But the true identity of "Playmaker" is ordinary high school student "Yusaku Fujiki", who pursues the "Knights of Hanoi" that appear in VRAINS in order to find out the truth of an incident that happened in his past.

That's Cool I Guess, but what about the Characters?

Yusaku Fujiki

Yusaku is described as a boy who doesn't like standing out at school, not because he's timid or shy but because he is a hacker constantly interfering with the evil Knights of Hanoi.

Instead of uploading his cards to the virtual space he prefers the feel of good ol´ cardboard attached to high-tech machines.

Yusaku's Avatar in the virtual world is called "Playmaker", and is just him with a different hairdo and a sexy skintight suit.

Yusaku's deck is filled to the brim with "Cyverse" type monsters, a new kind of monsters straight out of the Tron levels of Kingdom Hearts II. Obviously he also uses the new mechanic of the day but we'll get to that later.

His Ace card is Firewall Dragon, A 2500 ATK Cyverse-Type Monster....with no defense!?

Ignis

A powerful AI trapped into Yusaku's duel disk, he is responsible of bringing cyber storms back into LINK VRAINS allowing Speed Duels to take place, the Knights of Hanoi are desperately searching for it.

If Yusaku Loses a duel, Ignis could be taken away from him.

Aoi Aizen

Aoi is described as being very quiet and shy on first sight. However in Link VRAINS Aoi has total personality change!!. As "Blue Angel", she is a smiling idol with a cheerful and perky demeanor.

Her deck is made of Trickstars, the token fairies females characters are always given, but these ones BURN.

Ok That's fine, but how about the cards? Do they get a new crazy mechanic?

After Fusion,Synchro and Xyz Monsters allowed players to combine their monsters in different ways to allow for combos and in depth strategies and Pendulum Summon allowed players to set up a field where they could summon 5 monsters at a time many wondered what could possibly be done anymore...

Obviously a company with such amazing decision making skills as Konami found the best possible way to have something new and different that we can all enjoy....By making all the previous mechanics we've learned to use for over ten years useless unless you buy the new shit...

Introducing Link Summon!

latest

The new Extra Monster Zone is a separate Zone located at the top of your regular monster zones, now that is the only place where you can play your previously unlimited fusions,synchros and Xyz as well as Pendulums that come from the Extra Deck. One at a time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Unless of course you buy Links! They are unlimited! and they can make your Fusions/Synchros/Xyz and Pendulums unlimited again!

Link summon is by far the easiest mechanic to pull off.

You just need to send any kind of monsters on the field to the graveyard equal to the Link Rating of the Link Monsters, the Link Monster goes to the new Extra Monster Zone

3 random monsters = 1 Link 3 Link Monster

Link Monsters can also be used to summon other Links with a higher Link Value with ease

A link 2 monster + 1 Random monster = 1 Link 3 Link Monsters

latest

Links have no Level, Rank or DEF and can never be placed in any form of defense position.

Link Monster cards have red arrows pointing to the monster card zones, starting in July you can only summon Fusion, Synchros, Xyz and Pendulums from the Extra Deck to Monster Zones pointed at by Link Monsters or to the Extra Monster Zone.

Master-Rule-Link-Zones-Translated-2.jpg

If you don't have Link Monsters you will only be able to summon 1 synchro/xyz/etc to the new Extra Monster Zone, and cannot replace it until it's removed from there.

This video can help illustrate it further
https://youtu.be/EeoT0zfEe-w

ReiGun

Came here literally just to see what new crazy summoning method would be introduced. Was not disappointed.

Mario007

From the description seems very much like Zexal 2, which is not a good thing at all.

Has anyone seen the first episode.

Also are there any news on ArcV dub for Season 3 coming out this year?

ReiGun

Same. I thought Pendulum summoning from last season was going to be hard to top. Nope!
I feel like I at least understand this one. Pendulum went completely over my head.

One day, I'm gonna pick up one of the newer YGO video games and try my hand at more modern play.

Fj0823

From the description seems very much like Zexal 2, which is not a good thing at all.

Has anyone seen the first episode.

Also are there any news on ArcV dub for Season 3 coming out this year?

I did, the character is a cool quiet type. And his card designs are pretty cool despite my jokes in the OP.

But the second he got the Ignis plot armor I got Zexal flashbacks. That's never a good thing

They try to make it seem as if Yusaku doesnt give a fuck about what happens to Ignis, but you just know where it's going.

Also, how is this pronounced? vr as one syllable (like brains with a v I guess)? or vee-rains?

I should hop on this, been wanting to watch a Yugioh season for awhile but the last season/arc was too far in.

I feel like I at least understand this one. Pendulum went completely over my head.

One day, I'm gonna pick up one of the newer YGO video games and try my hand at more modern play.

It was actually because of the one on PS4 I learned how pendulum summoning worked. Wasn't as complicated as it looked.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I heard Arc-V shit the bed in the end but I had a lot of fun with the first 100-some episodes so I'm cautiously optimistic.

For you JoJo fans out there the main theme is sung by the dude who did Sono Chi no Sadame, and Rohan's the voice of Ignis.

Mario007

I did, the character is a cool quiet type. And his card designs are pretty cool despite my jokes in the OP.

But the second he got the Ignis plot armor I got Zexal flashbacks. That's never a good thing

They try to make it seem as if Yusaku doesnt give a fuck about what happens to Ignis, but you just know where it's going.

Yeah that's kind what I was thinking would happen. I don't mind plot armor to be honest, one of the reasons why I loved the original was seeing the asspulls and Deus Ex Machina's that Yugi pulled off to win. However, VR duels and Ignis seems very similar to Astral and AR duels.
Then again I think Zexal would have been a cool series if Yuma was better. If he was at the very least like Yuya, you'd have a better series (also I guess the supporting cast was shit too).

I'll see how this one develops. This have Arc V to finish, hoping for the dub to come out soon as I've watched the first two seasons dubbed and I'd find it hard to go back to subbed. Hopefully that won't disappoint as the anniversary movie.

Ri'Orius

So the downward arrows are for when the Link monster is in the new extra zone, and the left and right arrows are for when the Link monster is in one of the normal monster zones, but under what circumstances are the upward arrows relevant? The new zone can always have special monsters in it, right? Can you summon dudes into the spell/trap slots now (possibly by using the downward arrows from a Link monster on the normal monster row)?

Fj0823

I heard Arc-V shit the bed in the end but I had a lot of fun with the first 100-some episodes so I'm cautiously optimistic.

For you JoJo fans out there the main theme is sung by the dude who did Sono Chi no Sadame, and Rohan's the voice of Ignis.

It definetly did but it was the bed shitting at the end that's a staple of the franchise.

Didn't stop 5Ds from being great and it doesn't stop Arc V from being enjoyable

Fj0823

So the downward arrows are for when the Link monster is in the new extra zone, and the left and right arrows are for when the Link monster is in one of the normal monster zones, but under what circumstances are the upward arrows relevant? The new zone can always have special monsters in it, right? Can you summon dudes into the spell/trap slots now (possibly by using the downward arrows from a Link monster on the normal monster row)?

Upward arrows unlock zones for your opponent. The higher the Link the more chances you have of giving your opponent his Synchro spam back

And the Spell and Trap area is still just for spell traps and now Pendulums in spell mode, they no longer have separate zones.

Double post sorry.

Subbed and going to start watching later tonight. Arc-V was pretty disappointing minus the appearance of crowd favorites.

Have to say that Yusaku's normal form > than his Playmaker appearance. Who the fuck greenlit yellow, pink and orange hair?

The girl looks pretty meh after all the good women in the previous series. Only thing going for her is her last name is Aizen lol.

Mario007

It definetly did but it was the bed shitting at the end that's a staple of the franchise.

Didn't stop 5Ds from being great and it doesn't stop Arc V from being enjoyable

Which 5D ending, season 1 or season 2? Becuase I actually like the ending arc in season 2 but I can understand the final duel in season 1 was very anticlimatic.

Fj0823

Which 5D ending, season 1 or season 2? Becuase I actually like the ending arc in season 2 but I can understand the final duel in season 1 was very anticlimatic.

Season 3 the one with Z-ONE it really destroyed Akis character and make the final villain a Yusei Fanboy

I gave up on Yugioh in the middle of GX.

I tried coming back multiple times but couldn't. Reading threw the OP and yeah.. I kept thinking "are they doing Micro transaction threw the anime?" Maybe I should just let Yu GI Oh go for good.

I-hate-u

5D's hype is somewhat overrated. It had a fantastic first arc and pretty good final arc but the stuff in between was GX tier. Not to mention the absolute poor handling of certain key characters. I do like the duels and the synchro summoning tho so it has a soft spot in my heart.

OG yugioh is still the best. Yeah the cards are so basic, but the characters and story arcs make up for it (not to mention an extremely underrated and excellent japanese OST). The only bad arc that I always skip is that shitty tournament before the pharoh's memories one.

Fj0823

I gave up on Yugioh in the middle of GX.

I tried coming back multiple times but couldn't. Reading threw the OP and yeah.. I kept thinking "are they doing Micro transaction threw the anime?" Maybe I should just let Yu GI Oh go for good.

I know it sounds that way because I'm a bit bitter about the change ruining one of my favorite decks

But I can assure you many decks can still wreck shit without ever using a link, mainly decks that just summon 1 synchro or xyz boss at a time, or decks that don't use Extras at all.

Hell even pendulum decks are finding workarounds.

You can still give it a shot and have fun. Honest.

Sou Da

Why not just go full tron with the suits an give him a cool helmet or something.

His VR world design is literally a bad colorswap.

Oh wow, never realized that Aoi's last name is Aizen. lol

Saw the first episode and I liked Yusaku, he seems competent. Saw that Zoodiac Hammerkong cameo >.>

Worried about these "Speed Duels" on the Data Storms, have they been explained yet?

Fj0823

Saw the first episode and I liked Yusaku, he seems competent.

Worried about these "Speed Duels" on the Data Storms, have they been explained yet?

They were some cool shit people used to do but then they disappeared.

Until Ignis brought Trapar..err Cyber Storms Back in this episode for somethe reason.

They were some cool shit people used to do but then they disappeared.

Until Ignis brought Trapar..err Cyber Storms Back in this episode for somethe reason.

Yeah, I know the lore behind it but was wondering what the special rules were since I'm assuming that's what the point of it was

A.J.

Banned

Saw the first episode and I liked Yusaku, he seems competent. Saw that Zoodiac Hammerkong cameo >.>

Speed Duels are: 3 monster card zones, 3 spell/trap card zones, starting hand size reduced by 1, and no main phase 2.

Speed Duels are: 3 monster card zones, 3 spell/trap card zones, starting hand size reduced by 1, and no main phase 2.

So basically Duel Links rules lol. Thats pretty cool. Should expect Link cards to start hitting Duel Links soon. Gonna watch the first episode now.

Fj0823

Edit: I stand corrected, the format is going to be used just like in duel links, but with the Extra Monster Zones

Fj0823

Eh, sounds less entertaining to watch but I guess they never really had that many on the field to begin with.

Seems regular duels will still be played when not on the surf boards

Just like in 5D's when they played without the D-Wheels.

This speed duel thing makes me feel that once again they are going to act like the other strategies don't exist and make it a Link fest. *Has ZEXAL Flashbacks*

5D's and Arc-V did it right by acknowledging all the other ways of playing...

Seems regular duels will still be played when not on the surf boards

Just like in 5D's when they played without the D-Wheels.

This makes me feel that once again they are going to act like the other strategies don't exist and make it a Link fest. *Has ZEXAL Flashbacks*

5D's and Arc-V did it right by acknowledging all the other ways of playing...

Hey we saw Zoodiac Hammerkong and Digital Bug Corebage, that's a good sign right? :(

Nachos

I would think as in "brains", since it looks like a pun on "link brains".
It's spelled ヴレインズ in Japanese, so yeah, it's single-syllable, rhyming with "brains." I hope it at least sounds kinda cool to a Japanese native, because it sure doesn't in English.

Top Bottom