• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Employee's Anti-Diversity Manifesto Goes 'Internally Viral'

Socivol

A lot of companies have intranets and it's entirely possible this was not meant to be seen by the entire company given the use of "viral" in the post. Someone within the smaller group may have shared it to others and the cycle begins.
Even then this really isn't appropriate for work in my eyes and is extremely unprofessional. I can't even imagine sending g something like this or posting it anywhere internally at my job.

FyreWulff

Friends don't let friends smoke evopsych bullshit.

I like how dudes mcidiot tries to justify it as biological when women invented and did almost all of the early programming. The term 'computer' use to be a word that described a woman.

Why would you share something like this via his work email to coworkers?

It was probably shared privately (lol) and we all know what happens to anything "private" on the Internet.

Whoever this guy is, he's going to be having a really fun meeting with HR on Monday. We can probably take bets on whether he'll be fired before 10 am, before noon, or if it will take until the end of the day.

it seems like STEM is overall politically divided

most natural scientists (biologists, physicists, chemists etc.) tend to be liberal in some way

while many engineers and tech people, computer programmers etc. tend to be more right wing, because it tends to be linked more to industry thus capitalism etc.

this might just be BS speculation, but it seems that way

Shocking that a straight white male would do this
98% chance of that being a true statement

This is why conservatives hate college it turns you into a racist sexist ! Tsk tsk

Ekai

This reads like sexist pseudo-science from a privileged asshat that doesn't know anything about anything.

Joe

If you are putting any hope into the company that runs the YouTube comments section then you are in for a rude awakening.

_Ryo_

I hope the person who wrote this trash is canned and further penalized. Coddling bigots should not be in the interest of any company.

emag

most natural scientists (biologists, physicists, chemists etc.) tend to be liberal in some way

while many engineers and tech people, computer programmers etc. tend to be more right wing, because it tends to be linked more to industry thus capitalism etc.

In my personal experience, there are definitely a lot of libertarians in the CS/CompE-related fields. I think the memo under discussion isn't really a libertarian manifesto, though.

tokkun

Man, fuck Silicon Valley...

This guy wrote an anti-Silicon Valley manifesto, complaining that people there will not tolerate alt right views and spend too much time promoting diversity.

If your conclusion is "fuck Silicon Valley" does that mean you agree with him...?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

The vast majority of Googler's seem to be against this manifesto. What a weird perception of engineering and tech some people in this thread have. Is the expectation that there should be 0 right/alt-right racist people in tech? That no one should espouse these sorts of views, lest they taint all of tech? This manifesto is complaining about silicon valley and tech being too liberal... I think the takeaway is that people like him feel vastly outnumbered.

Ferr986

I hope this motherfucking idiot gets fired Monday 00:01. Yep, Google shouldn't even wait for him to start his day.

We had a guy send out an e-mail like this when he rage quit his job back at the office job I used to work at. Except just a few paragraphs, even stupider, and it definitely didn't go viral. It went eye-roll.

hey, that's pretty funny

But I did think about how it might have been received if it was better written and sent out by someone more respected in the company. Kinda scary.

tokkun

The vast majority of Googler's seem to be against this manifesto. What a weird perception of engineering and tech some people in this thread have. Is the expectation that there should be 0 right/alt-right racist people in tech? That no one should espouse these sorts of views, lest they taint all of tech? This manifesto is complaining about silicon valley and tech being too liberal... I think the takeaway is that people like him feel vastly outnumbered.

Exactly. The only logical reason to be upset by this story is if you agree with the guy and wish that Google was more open to alt-right viewpoints.

If you don't like the alt right, you ought to be happy about a story where one of them is complaining about feeling persecuted, or that his complaint was immediately made the subject of widespread mockery. I am not sure what more you could possibly hope for.

1) The guy sounds like an asshole.

2) Firing someone for saying that they don't feel like they can express unpopular but commonly held political views sounds like prima facia for a hostile work environment.

Slayven

I love hyper rational bigots.

I hope the guy isn't in charge of anyone, especially a woman or minority. He will fuck them over just to even the score

BriGuy

Conservative "ideology" seems to be diametrically opposed to what Google is all about, no? Maybe not where profits are concerned, but taking chances, general transparency, focus on diversity...

I mean, how many liberals want to work for the NRA?

Slayven

2) Firing someone for saying that they don't feel like they can express unpopular but commonly held political views sounds like prima facia for a hostile work environment.
Civil rights are not political beliefs, they are facts

Let's stop legitimatizing bigotry

Kthulhu

The employee said they think women are biological inferior to men. Anyone who says something like that has to go.

Alucrid

Banned
I... don't know what that means. Civil rights are probably the biggest example of political views.

The US President just got elected by opposing them. Maybe you heard about it?

well he also opposes facts so

the point is that civil rights shouldn't be a political view. people's rights shouldn't hinge on what party is in power and to portray people's rights as mere political views demeans them.

Makai

Engineers invented open source, which is among the most liberal ideas ever.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

BS speculation

The employee said they think women are biological inferior to men. Anyone who says something like that has to go.

Let us imagine a liberal/progressive who works at a job filled with racists. Do you think it should be legal for the racists to fire that person for not being racist enough?

My point is that we should be more careful about firing people for their political views than this "lol 8am Monday" talk in this thread.

akira28

Let us imagine a liberal/progressive who works at a job filled with racists. Do you think it should be legal for the racists to fire that person for not being racist enough?

My point is that we should be more careful about firing people for their political views than this "lol 8am Monday" talk in this thread.

no

He had to know this would be career suicide, lol. But yea, people lambasting google and tech over this seem to be missing the point. He wrote the document *because* everyone at google and in tech disagree with him

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Friends don't let friends smoke evopsych bullshit.

I like how dudes mcidiot tries to justify it as biological when women invented and did almost all of the early programming. The term 'computer' use to be a word that described a woman.
I don't think it's evopsych bullshit to say that most women wouldn't be thrilled by the idea of working a job with limited human interaction when they have the freedom to work any job they want. The perception that creating software is an antisocial activity has done a lot of damage.

Slayven

Racists are not a protected class, unless you call them mentally ill first or are cops

Top Bottom