• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Omega Collection VR announced! Set retinas to stun.

Ubername

Banned
This sounds like something I would enjoy a lot but wouldn't pay very much money for

Oh shit, it's free? Should have read

Well this puts me into a dilemma of sorts. I'm genuinely interested in VR but I never buy first gen hardware, so I was fully intending to wait until the PS5 iteration was available. But as a massive fan of the Wipeout series, I absolutely need this.

JP

I do really hope that they include the cockpit view outside of the VR edition too.

On the Blog it says this...
PlayStation Blog said:
But not only that: we've created three new ships for PS VR pilots, featuring a special cockpit view for PS VR that includes head tracking,
...but it does seem to be referring to the head tracking in VR rather than the cockpit view so I hope it does get added as a standard camera view.

I'd be surprised if it was in one version but not the other, I've really wanted that to be there since launch.

Toe-Knee

Can't wait. I was hoping for this when they announced the omega collection.

It should look pretty Damn good too as it runs at 4k/60 on the pro so it has some headroom when scaled down to 1080p

j^aws

Updated OP with some PSX impressions:

https://uploadvr.com/psx-2017-hands-wipeout-omega-collection-vr-blisteringly-fast/

For something this fast, nausea wasn't an issue with comfort settings.

Whilst waiting for Wipeout VR, I've been playing Radial-G: Racing Revolved on PSVR. With its tubified tracks, plays differently enough from Wipeout. And due to the way the tracks are designed, in cockpit view, this game makes great use of head-tracking; it will have you spinning your head around like a madman. Huge tracks with great presence and no nausea, but YMMV.

I cannot wait for Wipeout VR to give me this awesome sensation.

I'm not sure I can handle this in VR, to be honest. In my prime, I was a god at Wipeout and would have gladly immersed my self even more in the game, but now? I think I might actually die if I play this in VR.

Taker666

I hope they also offer third person VR. No reason VR racing games have to just be first person.

I also hope that it's true stereoscopic VR as well. I'm getting irritated by games essentially faking it (like Rez and Megaton Rainfall) with their 2D wrap around VR (and more irritated by reviewers failing to mention/notice it).

Shifty

I also hope that it's true stereoscopic VR as well. I'm getting irritated by games essentially faking it (like Rez and Megaton Rainfall) with their 2D wrap around VR (and more irritated by reviewers failing to mention/notice it).

Interesting, does that mean Rez and Megaton Rainfall are rendered in monoscopic? That would explain the weird feeling I experienced with the former despite immersive head / hand tracking.

Taker666

Interesting, does that mean Rez and Megaton Rainfall are rendered in monoscopic? That would explain the weird feeling I experienced with the former despite immersive head / hand tracking.
They appear to be from what I have played. I know Megaton has some stereoscopic effects for explosions and the like but the vast majority is just monoscopic.

With Rez I only played the demo a year or so ago....but that was monoscopic. It's a little less obvious in Rez than Megaton(due to the style of the game)...but it put me off buying it.

I had to drop by GAF just to say that I am unbelievably excited for this. A dream come true.

Apparently it's only the 3 new ships that have the cockpit view though? Which is disappointing. I wanted to be inside my favourite HD/FURY/2048 craft, even if it meant piss-poor visibility.

JP

I had to drop by GAF just to say that I am unbelievably excited for this. A dream come true.

Apparently it's only the 3 new ships that have the cockpit view though? Which is disappointing. I wanted to be inside my favourite HD/FURY/2048 craft, even if it meant piss-poor visibility.
Has that been confirmed somewhere? It doesn't seem very clear to me from what I've read about it.

Top Bottom