• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearts of Iron IV |OT| Pimp My Reich

Uzzy

xAiJTt4.png

Special thanks to the Stellaris OT for showing how I should design this OT, and Noaloha for the title.

Site | Price: £34.99/$39.99/€39.99 [Colonel Edition: £41.99/$49.99/€49.99 / Field Marshal Edition: £67.99/$89.99/€89.99] | Steam, Humble, GMG | Trailers: Soviet Struggle, Britain's Downfall, Reveal
Reviews thread | Multiplayer thread

MfbXGZU.png

From Paradox Development Studios, the team behind Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and the Stellaris series, comes Hearts of Iron IV, a grand strategy game set during the most destructive war in human history,
World War II.

Take charge of any nation, and utilise all their resources to conquer your foes, crush your ideological enemies, defend your allies or just survive the gathering storm. Leverage your war economy to it's fullest to squeeze out
every advantage in this total war, trading and negotiating with others to secure access to the goods you need. Fight on land, at sea and in the air, commanding the most powerful forces the world has ever seen, with some of
the most famous (or infamous) leaders implementing your strategic vision and forging your path to victory.

deEL44y.jpg
zahOxPB.jpg

I4RBUsa.jpg
E1pytx1.jpg

NrR8Jhi.png

Fight in a truly global conflict, from the deserts of North Africa, the farthest reaches of the Pacific, to the streets and bunkers of Berlin. Your truly massive armies will cross oceans and continents, changing the fate of world
through their victories and defeats. Design and customise your divisions to focus on whatever military doctrine you desire, putting the most powerful weapons under the command of well trained forces, or handing a rifle to
everyone in the defence of your homeland.

A6FqnaF.jpg
HaaniCw.jpg

6W7JzwQ.jpg
AGoC6fS.jpg

6v6XlDB.png

Your forces will be led by some of WW2's most famous and infamous figures, their careers and skills growing during the war, gaining expertise in desert warfare, sieges or armoured conflict. Mobilize your soldiers into armies
and theatres, and issue them warplans, from small maneuvers to grand strategic plans that will change the course of the war.

ADrhsZV.jpg
BnDSnbD.jpg

zHYHCMb.jpg
bZQ70Xe.jpg

zk8pee2.png

A war on a scale this massive won't be won with skill at arms alone. Amateurs may focus on tactics, but professionals concentrate on logistics, and every sinew of the nation's resources will have to be carefully managed to
give your armies a fighting chance. Producing the right weapons in numbers large enough to make a difference, and having them arrive at the battlefield in time will be key to your nation's survival.

UbNrHBX.jpg
bcjvFUU.jpg

DelVykt.jpg
7c2a2UK.jpg

XeNkijz.png

Chart your nation's path through national focuses, representing a wide array of differing political, economic, technological and diplomatic options available. Appoint ministers and favour industrial concerns to give your nation
unique bonuses. Trade with other powers for the resources you need to drive your goals, and engage in all manner of diplomacy with them, improving relations, guaranteeing their independence, staging coups, sending
volunteer forces and inviting them to your faction, tying your nations fates together, to the death.

Cooy9GG.jpg
0OKM9eZ.jpg

VAUOKq7.jpg
23jVKOD.jpg

5fmCbpA.png

Your nation's scientists and military theorists will also be vital to maximising your chances. Develop new weapons and fighting equipment to give your soldiers on the front lines a chance. Develop new tactics and doctrines
to secure air and naval supremacy. Modify and adapt your forces to the changing battlefield, exploiting enemy weaknesses and nullifying their strengths. Discover entirely new wonder weapons, rocketry, jet engines, finally
harnessing the power of the atom to usher in the atomic age and change the world forever.

Frequently Asked Questions

What scenario start dates does Heart of Iron IV have?
Hearts of Iron IV has both a 1st January 1936 and a 14th August 1939 start date. The latter start date is more for players who just wish to fight out a more historical WW2, while the former allows for more sandboxy
developments, potentially changing the game in a-historical ways. There is also an option for the AI to focus on taking historical paths, if you want a more historical game from 1936.

Just how historical will the game be, really?
100% Historically Accurate.

Which countries can you choose?
There are seven major powers: France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Soviet Union, United Kingdom and the United States, but you aren't limited to them. You can pick any country that existed during the time period, so if
you want to conquer the world as Luxembourg, you can do it. Or try at least!

Only the seven major powers and Poland have a unique national focus tree at launch, with all other countries having a shared generic one. It's highly likely that we'll see more countries get unique trees as time passes.

This game looks complicated, help!
That's not a question, but I can understand. Grand Strategy Games can often be a bit overwhelming to start with, but thankfully Paradox have improved the usability of their games quite a bit recently.
(If you understand Hearts of Iron III's supply system, you're a liar)

There is a tutorial included in Hearts of Iron IV, and Paradox have been uploading some beginner focused tutorials on their ParadoxExtra account on YouTube. You can see one on Battle Plans here. There's also a
small industry of YouTubers out there with lets play's of their campaigns, Quill18 is one I'd recommend for beginners, as he's good at explaining what's going on.

On which platforms will Hearts of Iron IV be available?
Windows PC, Mac OS and Linux.

What about multiplayer?
Up to 32 players, with co-operative multiplayer in place to let players run the same country.

What's in the different versions of the game?
The Cadet version has the base game, the Polish national focus DLC and the three pre-order bonuses if you pre-order, namely an Axis and Allies music pack, and a choose your own adventure game book.
The Colonel version has the base game, the Polish national focus DLC, the pre-order bonuses, cosmetic unit packs for French, German, Soviet, UK and US tanks, along with heavy cruisers, a set of wallpapers
made from game art, and some exclusive icons for the Paradox forum.
The Field Marshal version has all of the above, as well as the first two expansion DLCs for the game, along with all related content.

Is the German version of the game different?
It's illegal to distribute certain materials in Germany. As such, the following changes are made to the game within Germany.
The German version lacks a certain DLC component which results in the following:
1) a bunch of prominent nazis is displayed as dark silhouettes instead of a colored portrait.
2) some speeches in events are different
3) SS generals have no skulls on their caps
4) event pictures with hitler and stuff from point 1 are different​

Multiplayer is unaffected.

Achievements?
You can see a list here. You'll need Ironman Mode to be enabled to obtain them, which limits you to one save file at a time.

How do I keep updated on Hearts of Iron IV?
Here's a link to a post on Paradox's forum, which keeps links to all the development diaries and video updates Paradox make for Hearts of Iron IV.

nFX0irQ.png

Corpekata

Banned
Wow didn't know this was so close.

I do kinda wonder if they might be eating into their own audience a bit releasing this so close to Stellaris (and even Total War). Yeah, different settings and obviously quite a bit different in some regards, but a decent chunk of their audience seems to follow their games or be general strategy enthusiasts.

Volodja

Ready for completely insane outcomes even with historical mode on and even more ready to love them wholeheartedly.

Kabouter

Have to be entirely honest, not super super hyped, a lot of the streams seem to show some pretty broken AI. Like ddrjake's run as Bhutan.

Volodja

Have to be entirely honest, not super super hyped, a lot of the streams seem to show some pretty broken AI. Like ddrjake's run as Bhutan.
I watched the Benjamin Magnus Germany playthrough and, between the enemy AI and his AI decisions while advancing the fronts, I expect a lot of headscratching to happen.

Sch1sm

Subbed. One of the only things I'm looking forward to playing this year on Steam, in all honesty.

Bit bummed on the generic trees for those countries outside of the 7 powers and Poland with no sight of it happening. Really deters me from bothering with other nations.

Xando

Subbed. Great OT

Can't wait to invade the Soviet Union with Albania.

Any of you guys pre ordered the colonel edition on GMG and received a key yet?

Uzzy

Wow didn't know this was so close.

I do kinda wonder if they might be eating into their own audience a bit releasing this so close to Stellaris (and even Total War). Yeah, different settings and obviously quite a bit different in some regards, but a decent chunk of their audience seems to follow their games or be general strategy enthusiasts.

That's a legitimate fear for sure. I'm still surprised that it's coming out just a month after Stellaris, but maybe the game had been delayed so long that it just couldn't be kept in development for much longer?

Subbed. One of the only things I'm looking forward to playing this year on Steam, in all honesty.

Bit bummed on the generic trees for those countries outside of the 7 powers and Poland with no sight of it happening. Really deters me from bothering with other nations.

Given how much DLC we get from Paradox, I'm not too worried about the other countries. I imagine we'll see lots of them get focus trees over the next few months, in patches and DLC.

Lucumo

Loved Hearts of Iron II. Not sure if I'm gonna play this.

(Why would you kill Hitler though? Destroy the democracies instead.)

Kolx

Great OT! just a quesyion for those who have been watching streams: when you conquer a country do you get all of their factories and resources or just a fraction of it? I believe in HO3 you only get a fraction of the IC, so idk if it's the same here or not.

Ozium

I never played an HoI game but this looks interesting and the UI looks a lot easier to understand than what I saw of HoI 3.

Not sure if I should buy at launch or wait.

Bastos

I always get excited about Hearts of Iron, but I've never bought a game because I fear I won't be able to play/learn the game.

Volodja

I always get excited about Hearts of Iron, but I've never bought a game because I fear I won't be able to play/learn the game.
This one seems quite a bit more approachable than 3 was.
No clue about 2 though, never played that one, even if it's considered the best I think.

Never heard of the game or of the series in general, and isn't really interested in historical strategy games anymore, but I think I've found a perfect game for my father! He is a serviceman, WWII fanatic and have always liked strategy games of all sorts.
Thanks for putting the franchise onto my radar, OP!

Xando

Great OT! just a quesyion for those who have been watching streams: when you conquer a country do you get all of their factories and resources or just a fraction of it? I believe in HO3 you only get a fraction of the IC, so idk if it's the same here or not.
If i remember correct you get all the factories but only a small amount of manpower (A bit more if the government doesn't goes into exile i think) but have to deal with the resistance damaging your factories

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Great OT, well done! I think I won't jump on this on day 1. After Stellaris I feel compelled to wait for the first big patch or maybe even the first expansion/sale.

Volodja

That's a legitimate fear for sure. I'm still surprised that it's coming out just a month after Stellaris, but maybe the game had been delayed so long that it just couldn't be kept in development for much longer?
Considered how it launched, a Stellaris delay would've maybe been beneficial.

El Topo

I watched the Benjamin Magnus Germany playthrough and, between the enemy AI and his AI decisions while advancing the fronts, I expect a lot of headscratching to happen.

I just checked the first video of that playthrough. What...what happened to France? Where did all their troops go? What the hell?

Xando

I just checked the first video of that playthrough. What...what happened to France?
AI went like fuck germany for remilitarizing the Rheinland while having maginot line open with most troops fighting the cummunist civil war in the north

Uzzy

You get all the factories, but how much you get out of them depends on your occupation policies and how well you can oppress the resistance to your benevolent rule. Treat them gently and you'll get good amounts of manpower and lower resistance build up, but barely any of the resources and factory output. Treat them harshly and you'll get barely any manpower and lots of resistance build up, but pretty good amounts of the resources and factory output.

Volodja

As far as I've read, this game should make minors a bit more fun.
My attempt to play one in HoI3 was a confusing series of bumbling attempts at having anything to do in a game that was basically built on combat when I couldn't actually get to fight anybody because of my neutrality.
Not as bumbling or as confusing as any attempt I've ever made at understanding Victoria 2, but still quite ineffectual.

Xando

It seems GMG provided me with a international key even though i'm from germany. Wasn't able to activate it without using a American VPN.

Is there a way to check what kind of key i received?

Well... It's a Paradox title, so I'm strangely ok with that. I know it'll be fixed eventually.

Hearts of Iron is the worst franchise for this to happen as it is adapting a very specific war in a very specific time frame. A Hearts of Iron game that doesn't allow for a plausible WW2 is broken in a way that's not worth playing and previous HOI games have had a lot of trouble with this too.

Subbing to this.
It's my first HOI, but I've decided to give it a solid try while I wait for the next major Stellaris patch. I also finally managed to get into EU4, even though I am still flailing around a lot, so I foresee a lot more Paradox in my gaming future.

Uzzy

Hearts of Iron is the worst franchise for this to happen as it is adapting a very specific war in a very specific time frame. A Hearts of Iron game that doesn't allow for a plausible WW2 is broken in a way that's not worth playing and previous HOI games have had a lot of trouble with this too.

Even worse for HOI, it has to appeal to people who want a more sandboxy experience, as well as being a WW2 simulated wargame. Part of me thinks it's an issue of marketing, and they'd be better off saying it wasn't explicitly a WW2 simulator. Saying that conjures up very specific events and ideas, and deviations from those specific events can really frustrate some people, especially when there's so much researched history that people can point to and go 'It's ludicrous and implausible that X would happen!

There's a board game that I really want to pick up, called Triumph and Tragedy, which markets itself as covering the three way competition for European supremacy between Democracy, Fascism and Communism from 36-45. So while it's highly likely that a world war will break out at some point, it's not at all giving the assumption that it'll follow the path of the real world WW2.

Even worse for HOI, it has to appeal to people who want a more sandboxy experience, as well as being a WW2 simulated wargame. Part of me thinks it's an issue of marketing, and they'd be better off saying it wasn't explicitly a WW2 simulator. Saying that conjures up very specific events and ideas, and deviations from those specific events can really frustrate some people, especially when there's so much researched history that people can point to and go 'It's ludicrous and implausible that X would happen!

There's a board game that I really want to pick up, called Triumph and Tragedy, which markets itself as covering the three way competition for European supremacy between Democracy, Fascism and Communism from 36-45. So while it's highly likely that a world war will break out at some point, it's not at all giving the assumption that it'll follow the path of the real world WW2.
Hearts of Iron has never been about sandbox gameplay and it's not designed in a way that enables such an experience either. But yeah, that's not a middle-ground that can really be tread in an effective way.

coastel

Did not realise that this was out so soon. Haven't played multiplayer since HOI2 so will jump in on this one and give it a try.

Uzzy

Hearts of Iron has never been about sandbox gameplay and it's not designed in a way that enables such an experience either. But yeah, that's not a middle-ground that can really be tread in an effective way.

The very first developer diary for Hearts of Iron IV saw Dan Lind/podcat saying that the game was an open sandbox, and that one of their aims was for less railroading down historical paths. They've been the ones putting that assumption out there! Which just kinda adds to the problem, they're trying to have it both be an open sandbox and a WW2 simulator, and that's a hard balancing act to manage.

karnage10

Banned
I like strategy games; i like stellaris; How hard is hearts of iron IV to learn compared to stellaris/other strategy titles?
i enjoyed the stelaris tutorial, does hearts of iron IV have a good/great tutorial?

Been a long time coming. I'm quite excited for the ahistorical mode, the historical mode still does railroading even though it's not perfect (and I'm sure it'll be refined post-release), but previous games were not perfect either with the railroading. From my observations over time, at times it's really accurate and times it's not, I'm sure it'll be simulated better with our feedback. I'm also happy that there is also the ahistorical for what-ifs, it seems like a clear design path Paradox has been going for, the EU series took the same path with IV. HoI 3 was a good game but it also had a few broken gameplay systems that were never fixed, maybe HoI 4 has found it's footing with overall design changes they've made with HoI 4 outside of the simulation itself, we'll have to see.

Also I am German but not currently living in Germany and my Steam's store is changed since my residence also changed so I am able to buy the "full" version and according to their FAQ when I return back to Germany I will retain it.

I like strategy games; i like stellaris; How hard is hearts of iron IV to learn compared to stellaris/other strategy titles?
i enjoyed the stelaris tutorial, does hearts of iron IV have a good/great tutorial?

Can't really comment on the new iteration of the series but previous HoI games are notorious for their difficulty, they considered the most difficult out of all their games. In any case this is from various reasons, for example in Hearts of Iron 3 the UI is atrocious in many areas and a lot of thing are obscure, there's also a ton of crazy micro with a lot of details that were verbose which made it artificially difficult outside strategy itself. Nonetheless the strategy tends to be very difficult from their other games, HoI is a war game, you are heavily focused on building the actual army itself such as its composition, theatres, the divisions, brigades, the front lines, supply lines, planning, etc, which requires knowledge of military command structures. That sort of strategy still exists in HoI 4, but thankfully they have refined the way you actually do these things (i.e they stepped away from the utter micro hell on a whole new level that was HoI 3), the UI for it for example is much better so it's removed a lot of the artificial difficulty. Tey did make an effort for it to be easier to get into from what I've heard of those that have got to play it (and from their own dev diaries). It's important to remember that the gameplay is also about building an actual army - not as simple as just constructing units and moving them to parts of the map. There is a lot of mechanics involved with creating an actual army, supplying it, as well as war strategy such as front line planning.

I just checked the first video of that playthrough. What...what happened to France? Where did all their troops go? What the hell?

I suggested that maybe half their army warped away because a civil war broke out and podcat (dev) replied to me saying that was likely what happened. Just goofy mechanics. They force an instant commie civil war out of nowhere if France doesn't back down over the Rhineland for mp balance. IMO they should just not give you the option if it's going to instantly wreck you for choosing it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
HOI3 wasn't a straight-forward WW2 simulation either. Sometimes things went awry - France refuses to fall, for instance - and the game wasn't very good at adapting to those circumstances. HOI3 wanted to be both things at once. It tried to be a faithful adaptation of World War 2, but it also gave you enough latitude to conquer Europe as Poland or whatever. HOI3 never really reconciled those two things. I appreciate that Paradox is trying to do that with HOI4, although I think it will take some time to get right. From what I've seen, Germany seems to have trouble conquering France, and the Soviets jump into the war too early. At least HOI3 got the initial stages of the war right, even if it had to resort to a lot of kludges to balance it; I think the game was particularly good depicting the eastern front. HOI4 will likely need more time.

It's more difficult to get into then Stellaris or Europa Universalis. Pretty hardcore strategy, but a lot has been done in IV to make it more accessible and user friendly.

Watch a few of the Let's Plays online and see if it is for you.

It's more difficult to get into then Stellaris or Europa Universalis. Pretty hardcore strategy, but a lot has been done in IV to make it more accessible and user friendly.

Watch a few of the Let's Plays online and see if it is for you.

HoI4 is much simpler than HoI3, I wouldn't say it's harder than EU4 necessarily.

Top Bottom