• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic to announce new IP and sequel at Gamescom

Well Nordic Games did publish Alan Wake in EU and it said a "well-known mysterious and horrific IP"... it's not stated it was of their own catalog.

Hmmmm....

But if we're being serious, my money is on a new Painkiller game.
It's most probably a Painkiller sequel. But I can't ignore the fact that Sam Lake is also posting some pictures with intriguing comments on his Instagram. Like he is teasing something....

For example just yesterday he posted a pic of a well with this comment: "Just a step closer," the voice sang from the well. "We know you're thirsty."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW50VVXFfK8/?taken-by=samlakewrites

I guess we will know for sure in a month or so...

derFeef

It's most probably a Painkiller sequel. But I can't ignore the fact that Sam Lake is also posting some pictures with intriguing comments on his Instagram. Like he is teasing something....

For example just yesterday he posted a pic of a well with this comment: "Just a step closer," the voice sang from the well. "We know you're thirsty."

Don't play with my emotions.

Danneee

Don't they own the Red Faction IP?

Also post apocalyptic AND Kung fu you say?
HzKxfVq.jpg

Could it be anything else? Well a New IP I guess..

prudislav

interesting ... and Nordic co-published QB

Kung-Funny game has my interest. Nordic feels like they're trying to bring back the B-level game and I welcome it.

Has to be Painkiller since it's horror and is one of the most well-known IP they have that isn't currently being used.

In 2012 they published a game the remade the original game and several expansion pack levels with a new story:

Painkiller_-_Hell_%26_Damnation_Coverart.png

I bought a digital PS3 copy for $4 at the beginning of the month.

Zukkoyaki

Hopefully the new games look cool and are received well. Nordic is really, REALLY trying to get its name out there and become a legit industry player. I wish them luck!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Man, open-world post-apocalyptic kung-fu rpg sounds great just from that label. I'm already sold on it.

Eh, he was doing a lot of that, posting cryptic Alan Wake-y type stuff before the XBO console reveal. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think it means anything.

oldsnakebro

Wait ! post apocalypse Kung Fu ? I need it! They have good ips but maybe the sequel is painkiller if they still own it.

Alkalineheat

Neo Member
I was on a flight with a guy who is friends with some people at THQ Nodic. He told me they were working on a new Titan Quest. Pretty cool if it proves to be true.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Nordic doesn't really have the coffers to comfortably fund a fully-fledged Alan Wake sequel that may underperform. The original is practically episodic, though, so that approach could also be applied to development.

I was on a flight with a guy who is friends with some people at THQ Nodic. He told me they were working on a new Titan Quest. Pretty cool if it proves to be true.
titan quest

grim dawn devs

*gives self cookie*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Haha, it was admittedly the safe assumption to make as Crate is independent and even has the Titan Quest engine in addition to the lineage and thereby the requisite level of experience. 2018 is sooner than I would guessed, however.

Rockk

Damn, a new Painkiller would be pretty awesome. The only downside would be if they tried to make it some multiplayer only free to play thing. I could defientely see that as a possibility. While Painkiller was pretty fun to watch back in the day it doesn't really have a place in competitive anywhere.

Ivan 3414

I just saw a playthrough of Deadly Creatures. That game was tragically overlooked. I should have picked it up when it launched.

Interesting. I'd certainly be down for a Alan Wake sequel

Yay, another open world game, just what we need. What's next? Diablo, Destiny, Division, Anthem loot system, maybe microtransactions as topping?

giphy.gif

Yeah I know, it's called RPG, but these games are technically RPGs too and we all know, what prints money will be copied 500 times until nobody can see it anymore.

ArjanN

The post apocalyptic kung-fu game is a new IP so not based on an existing license.

Yay, another open world game, just what we need. What's next? Diablo, Destiny, Division, Anthem loot system, maybe microtransactions as topping?

Yeah I know, it's called RPG, but these games are technically RPGs too and we all know, what prints money will be copied 500 times until nobody can see it anymore.

Jumping to conclusions mat.jpg.

The kung-fu fable angle probably means a melee focus, so that's at least somewhat unique.

For the other game I wouldn't exactly call Painkiller "mysterious", so I doubt that's it. Do they publish any of those HP Lovecraft games?

Riptor

Neo Member
The mysterious and horrific game is most probably Black Mirror 4.
They acquired the rights for the Series back in 2014 and a new game was already teased.

Top Bottom