• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Stoof

It must be. There have been supposed lines of thousands of people waiting for Switch's, yet the PS4 continues to outsell the Switch for like 5 weeks in a row. It must be a beast.
The sales of the PS4 are good, but it's not really comparable since it actually has stock to sell. We don't know how well the Switch would sell if it wasn't supply constrained.

Ōkami

Nier is full price 5 months after launch, its still full price selling out new shipments week after week.

FFXV is cheper than 6 year old 3DS games and its selling through bomba bins with 100k units left to sell from the first shipment.

Not the same situation at all.

Nier is full price, I don't know at what universe it's on sale in Japan.

A friend of mine in Japan went to Super Potato, Sofmap, and a few others for me the last week. She noted that NieR Automata was on sale for brand new. Actually asked me if she should pick it up now since it was on sale. Told her to go for it.

Anyways, yes, it is on sale.

Splatoon 2 is coming...

MY1G6.gif

LordKano

A friend of mine in Japan went to Super Potato, Sofmap, and a few others for me the last week. She noted that NieR Automata was on sale for brand new. Actually asked me if she should pick it up now since it was on sale. Told her to go for it.

Oh yeah. By the way I went to Tokyo the other day and saw one Switch in one store. So yes, there's actually stock and these reports are all fake.

Was really hoping Ever Oasis would perform better. Hope Grezzo get another chance on Switch to develop their own game. It's clear to me that they have some talent at that studio.

KtSlime

Super Potato and Sofmap primarily sell used games, however it seems that a bunch of places including Nojima and Joshin have the game on sale this week.

edit: apparently kakaku disallows linking to searches, weird.

LOl @ me getting pulverized for the XV legs post

My expectations for its legs were below XIII so the fact it's legging it to 1 million is good imo

Also I didn't know that sales were 'news' as I live in Uk where game proces tumble by loadsssssssss literally 1-2 weeks after launch. Thanks for the information!

MoonFrog

No need to get this hyperbole about Final Fantasy when it is getting most of its success overseas.

Now Dragon Quest though? Lets talk about it ;)

DQXI should be fine this generation. Expanding to 3DS allows them to reach acceptable numbers in Japan. I think it should sell 3 million plus in Japan across both platforms. I don't think we need to be particularly worried about DQ struggling in Japan and then trying to correct that problem by seeking a new audience in the west.

It'll be very depressing if even with a 3DS version DQ struggles to do well...3DS can sell big name Japanese brands to Japan pretty well.

ynwzh

Neo Member
01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.13} (¥6.800) - 100.764 / NEW

This is why we got XV, This is why that after I II III IV remake, instead of V remake they're making VII remake, This is why now I lost all my hope for XVI to be like IX or even XII

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ever Oasis bomba. Grezzo is having a tough time making a successful original IP. Even a moderately successful one.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
fate/excella switch is going to bomb really bad and for the life of me I still can't figure out why they released it the day before Splatoon 2.

DQXI should be fine this generation. Expanding to 3DS allows them to reach acceptable numbers in Japan. I think it should sell 3 million plus in Japan across both platforms. I don't think we need to be particularly worried about DQ struggling in Japan and then trying to correct that problem by seeking a new audience in the west.

It'll be very depressing if even with a 3DS version DQ struggles to do well...3DS can sell big name Japanese brands to Japan pretty well.
Tbh it's not looking good for DQ 3DS especially based on COMG preorders but their market share has fallen and they underestimated FF12 Zodiac age so lets see.

DQ PS4 is looking good but not amazing. It's below FFXIII pre orders for example

fate/excella switch is going to bomb really bad and for the life of me I still can't figure out why they released it the day before Splatoon 2.

The only possible reason is maybe they wanna get new switch owners that want to pick up a second game with their system

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oh yeah. By the way I went to Tokyo the other day and saw one Switch in one store. So yes, there's actually stock and these reports are all fake.

... this response is beyond pathetic. He was letting you know what a friend who was in Japan recently informed him. Its true the friend could have been mistaken but there was absolutely no need for this attempted zinger when a civil response was equally viable.

KtSlime

Tbh it's not looking good for DQ 3DS especially based on COMG preorders but their market share has fallen and they underestimated FF12 Zodiac age so lets see.

DQ PS4 is looking good but not amazing. It's below FFXIII pre orders for example
Children and most salarymen/OL don't preorder games, that is NEET, otaku, hikikomori-jitsu.
In the end the 3DS will be the bigger seller.

This is why we got XV, This is why that after I II III IV remake, instead of V remake they're making VII remake, This is why now I lost all my hope for XVI to be like IX or even XII
More angst and drama in this post than FFXIII !!

The remaster sold well for what it is. Also XII original has sold more than XIII and XV in Japan. Yet why didnt SE go in that direction again? Cus they wanna try different things. Also they didn't have to make this remaster but they did and put a lot of effort into it!

VII remake over V as it's clearly way more in demand (I mean it is THE FF game) and they clearly don't have resources to just keep doing more remakes on 3DS. Also what is wrong with VII? It rules!

XVI will be very different just like XV was very different to XIII.

Play FFXIV

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not really, they sold out most of it right out of the gate.

In what world is still having to sell the first shipment 7-8 months after release "selling most of it right out of the gate", exactly XD

Super Potato and Sofmap primarily sell used games, however it seems that a bunch of places including Nojima and Joshin have the game on sale this week.

I dunno if she went to those other stores. I usually just ask her to check out the other two for me (because she's really good at finding the stuff I want or would be interested in), but she messaged me in the middle of going out that it was on sale at SP, Sofmap, and "other stores".

Regardless, thanks for giving a secondary account of other stores. It's really not all that important, but people saying NieR wasn't on sale was contradictory to what I heard.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I supppse they went with that release date since it should be the biggest week for hardware sales since launch, this they're betting on on-the-spot sales to new customers searching for brand new games alongside Splatoon 2.

Actually, since it's basically a GOTY one-year-late port, what would constitute bomb-levels sales. I support a good criteria would be to see the original's first week sales as well as how other similar operations sold in the recent past.

MoonFrog

3DS pre-orders are not that far below PS4 pre-orders in the numbers we've been seeing. I also don't think pre-orders are indicative of future customers or even necessarily the launch customers. DQ is a strong brand in Japan. 3DS is a strong platform in Japan with a healthy install base. It is still capable of selling Pokemon and MH well, for example. If DQXI has good word of mouth on 3DS, it has room to grow.

Also consider:

Let's say that DQXI PS4 does fairly well for itself relative to FFXV and sells 1.25-1.5 million or so. If the 3DS version sells apace with that, you're looking at 2.5-3 million sales already.

Let's say that DQXI PS4 does a little worse to a little better than FFXV and sells .9-1.1 million or so. A weak 3DS version that sells about 1.25-1.5 million still gets you to 2-2.5 million, which isn't bad but disappointing for a DQ and a two SKU DQ. If you up that estimate to 1.5-2 million 3DS, for which there is room, you do get to 3 million or so overall.

And I think this is being fairly conservative with lifetime estimates for the 3DS version.

Toth

In what world is still having to sell the first shipment 7-8 months after release "selling most of it right out of the gate", exactly XD

I did say most, not all. FF games are notoriously front loaded. Didn't they hit over 900k by the end of the year?

Edit: MC had then at 884k and Famitsu over 890k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Nier is getting continued restocks and is full priced everywhere. Promotion deals at some stores for limited periods is far from the permanent price collapse of FFXV. You can find Nintendo games with similar deals in holidays.

Nah, no one gonna worry about DQ for another 5-10 years.
Nah.

Unless Dragon Quest XI is a surprise success like Nier Automata or Persona 5 in the Western market, you are likely going to see the next mainline entry coming to Smart Phones :p

My point with Dragon Quest XI was to show that a series that typically relies on Japanese market alone for HUGE number won't survive long in the future unless they try to get new audience from someplace else. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest are both aiming for this because they are all multi million sellers.

Can you guys tell me which system will sell 20 million in the current Japanese gaming market after 3DS. Even stepping it, which system is going to reach 10 million out of the PS4 or Switch? If the dedicated consoles/handhelds decline in Japan, you can bet the series that are typically associated with Japanese success will move elsewhere.

Yakuza? SEGA is now attempting to bring it back again and trying to establish it in West.
Monster Hunter? The PS4, Xbox One and PC release is clear.
Final Fantasy? Now aiming for Worldwide release or in case of TZA, releasing first in West.
Dragon Quest? Low pre-orders compared to its predecessors. Western version likely for PS4 to attempt to reach more audience.

Final Fantasy as a franchise is in a pretty safe spot. It has audience on almost every platform from Xbox to PC to PS4. It still has a huge worldwide appeal so even if the Japanese dedicated market will decline, it is not going anywhere.

Maxinas

No idea where else this could be mentioned, but since this is a Japanese focused thread, how are they handling that sad excuse for an online app? I feel if the backlash there is as big as it will be in the West, then Nintendo might be forced to greatly change if not get rid of the online app.

Zedark

No idea where else this could be mentioned, but since this is a Japanese focused thread, how are they handling that sad excuse for an online app? I feel if the backlash there is as big as it will be in the West, then Nintendo might be forced to greatly change if not get rid of the online app.
This is a sales thread. You should discuss that topic in the dedicated thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1408281

----------

Splatoon 2 seems to be ramping up for a final boost before release: it's currently first, fout and fifteenth on amazon Japan daily ranking.

Top Bottom