• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old(er)-GAF, in what ways does age influence your gaming behviour?

Vlade

Weird to see much of this. Upper 30s, and i have little time. I play games that i can pick up and put down without losing progress, like dark souls or new ff12 with auto saves. I still love to git gud even tho I'm less good these days. I love playing with my friends but hate talking to filthy randos on mics. All these changes in myself in the last 15 years. I used to like endless single player games best.

Easy mode all day long

I only buy maybe 5 games a year total.

These, and I rarely spend more than $25 on a new title unless it's a Nintendo published/developer game.

As for multiplayer, I try to stick to past gen titles that lack the microtransaction models or inflated season passes with little actually being added. I had it good in my late teens/early twenties when actual expansion packs were all the rage and worth every penny.

In my early 30s, but a few things:

-I play what I think I'll like, not worrying about what my friends are playing or if I'll be mostly playing alone.

-I spend way less time on multiplayer competitive games in general, and more time on solo games.

-I buy fewer games, but if something catches my interest I get it.

-I still rarely buy DLC or season pass type content, so I can play different games.

-I'm still pretty open and enjoy variety in my game library.

shandy706

Basically fall in with a lot of the posts here.

To say something slightly different. If you are an adult with a family (kids and wife/partner), and still pour something like 20+ hours a week into video games, you're neglecting your family.

Don't do that.

I feel like I barely do anything with my family (due to work) already...and am lucky to get in 2-6 hours a week gaming on a good week.

DirtyLarry

42 here.
I have not played any game twice in at least 5 years. May even be more like 10 years. Just not enough time and if the choice is play something again or play something new, new always wins.

I only beat around 5 games a year if I am lucky, but I play at least 3-4 times the amount. I am not hung up about if I beat a game. I just want to enjoy it.

I do not care about story in video games at all.
In all fairness I never really did. I think this is a result of coming up games never had deep stories so to me it was all about the gameplay itself. I also do still read a decent amount and just believe the medium itself is lacking in the storytelling department. I am almost 100 hours into BOTW and could not tell you much at all about what is actually happening besides I collect hearts and seeds, people have not seen me in 100 years, and there is some weird parrot with an accordion I bump into on occasion.

75% of my gaming is Single Player.
The exceptions this year has been Battlefield 1 and now Splatoon 2. When I do play them, I am lone wolf. I have people I could play with, just seems like such a chore trying to coordinate with people and/or ultimately I feel as if I let people down. So even though I grew up playing MP games a lot, I have moved on.

Even though I have a very capable Gaming PC, I prefer playing on the console.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I do not feel like sitting in front of one when I get home. It really is that simple. I also prefer my couch. This is a huge departure from 10-15 years ago when I only played on PC to get better graphics, frame rate, etc.
(EDIT- I know there is going to be someone who wants to say I can play my PC on my TV in my living room. I tried that, my wife complained about the monstrosity of a tower being so visible, so it lasted 2 days and I never built a discreet PC. I just am not that bothered by it at the end of the day, which also is the result of being older. I also care less about technical stuff)

The above is what has changed the most for myself in the past 10 or so years, and I attribute most of it (except the story, I really never cared about story) to getting older and having limited time.

Ricky_R

36 here with a family of a wife, daughter, two dogs and a boy on the way.

I obviously have less time on my hands now to play, so consequently, I buy less games and I don't play online any more.

Which is why I appreciate linear or wide linear single player games a LOT, and one of the reasons why I love ND so much. They cater to me in a perfect way.

HylianTom

Banned
This'll sound a bit pitiful, but I'll share.

I replay the Zelda games once per generation. I play them to 100% completion.

Some of these games, in order to reach 100% of all heart pieces, collectibles, etc, require pretty damn good twitch skills on their mini games and sidequests. (As an example, the shooting gallery in Majora's Mask's Clock Town is a big pain - avoiding the blue octos and hitting the red ones..)

So as I get older, I know my twitch skills are slipping. It takes more and more time, via more attempts, to win those heart pieces.

I dread the day when I'm no longer able to do this, but I know it's coming.

===

Also, I'm much less of a portable gamer. My hands and neck can't take looking down at a screen for hours on-end like I used to.

===

Third: I'm more prone to devoting chunks of my gaming year to revisiting old favorites.

sphinx

the piano man
Basically fall in with a lot of the posts here.

To say something slightly different. If you are an adult with a family (kids and wife/partner), and still pour something like 20+ hours a week into video games, you're neglecting your family.

Don't do that.

I feel like I barely do anything with my family (due to work) already...and am lucky to get in 2-6 hours a week gaming on a good week.

yeah... this is true

speaking about confessions, back when I was obsessed with the NGC (I'd play every night for 3 or 4 hours) I was young and my partner "wouldn't mind" me doing my thing and not spending quality time together.

we lived together so I though it was ok for everyone to mind their business and have some me time... truth was, I was destroying the relationship and eventually we broke up, not because of the gamecube but it played a role.

never again.

nowai

I also still play pvp and competitive matches. What I may have lost in raw reflexes, I have gained in map knowledge and general tactics.

I've developed a narrower range of interest in competitive games due, in large part, to lack of (time and) energy to improve. I care even less about story in games than I used to, but especially action-based genres. That's mostly it at 44.

I pretty much only play online games now (25+) and when I go on my PC I just run benchmarks, download old games and run them with Fraps to see how many frames I get on them compared to playing them 10 years ago.

I feel like I pretty much game differently at different stage of my life.

Elementary school - Mostly PC gaming, favorite games being F.E.A.R. and Half-Life 2.

Middle school - Mostly console gaming (PS2 and Wii), mostly play on easier difficulty, favorite games being Resident Evil 4 and Onimusha.

High school - PC and handheld gaming, mostly play on normal difficulty, favorite games being Spec Ops: The Line and Metro Last Light on PC and Monster Hunter Portable 3 on the PSP.

College and after - Mostly console gaming (PS3 and PS4), mostly play on hard difficulty, favorite games being ICO, SotC, Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Can't wait to see what's next for me.

Obi

Neo Member
42 here.
Even though I have a very capable Gaming PC, I prefer playing on the console.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I do not feel like sitting in front of one when I get home. It really is that simple. I also prefer my couch. This is a huge departure from 10-15 years ago when I only played on PC to get better graphics, frame rate, etc.

Consider getting a Steam Link. It's like $20 on sale. And will let you play any PC exclusives/indie games in your living room. I love playing games in my comfy lounge chair. Helps with back pain too.

Roshin

This year I turn 40 and beside the usual "I have less time to play because work and life" I have noticed there are some rules I abide by as a gamer, only recently though.

for example, I won't go for subsequent "just for fun" playthroughs of big adventure games I have already finished.

the reason is literally "I am running out of time" in life and I wanna experience more of the medium. I'd love to replay Bloodborne or TLOU, not gonna happen. I may do quick speed runs for a trophies or so but at most I will play the NES mini games when I just want to chill.

I also avoid games that are huge time-sinks according to the internet, like some RPGs (Pokemon, Xenoblades, Witcher)

Multiplayer games... I avoid them to, they just have no end.

how about you?

Nah, I play and replay what I enjoy. I'm not trying to cover as much as possible, because that's crazy talk, tbh.

55 years old. I don't expect to drop dead any time soon. :D

all my gaming is, & always has been, single-player. if a game has really enjoyable gameplay (persona 5, dragon's dogma), i don't really require a good story or good characters. but, as i've gotten older, i find i more'n'more tend to favor games that do have them (& they don't have to be serious/emotional - dumb/funny's just fine, too :) )...

Keinning

Guess i'm against the majority but aging made me way more patient? Before, if i failed too much at a single point i would cheat or turn the difficulty down. Today, if i can't beat it first try i just... try again later. For as long as needed (if is a game i enjoy) or i'll quietly leave it rest for something else instead of bruteforcing myself to finish it.

Got way less interested in multiplayer mode/games though. But more interested in local co-op games because of the kids.

Gaming preferences remains the same. I'm not enjoying large, complex stories that last several hours any less just because i have less time to play them. I've learned to savour them, every small dose i can get.

TikeMyson

33 next month. I mostly play shorter games because... time. It took me over a year to finish The Witcher 3 incl. DLC. Now I mostly play racing games. They are really perfect, you can play them in short bursts and don't have the feeling of missing anything. You only got 15 minutes? Ok, including loading times it's about racing on 2 tracks.
But I also still like multiplayer games. Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 at the moment. But it's pretty obvious that you can't play as good as a 17 year old who plays maybe 8 hours a day.

Nista

I never replay games these days. Maybe if it's a remaster after a decade or so, but anything more recent I can't bring myself to play again once I've finished it.

I also don't bother with online pvp games, cause as I get older I find I just don't have the mental energy to deal with people being jerks to each other anymore. Team-based Mobas and shooters are especially bad for that.

I also won't spend much if anything on mobile games. I'd rather use that money for life experiences than tossing it down the gatcha gambling well.

i buy too many games, dont play shit.

i have to like "recharge" my fucks-given-battery for me to pick up a game and actually stick to it before i decide to keep watching that series on netflix or reading that cool comic/manga

honestly i havent recovered from playing Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn, back to back lol

i play from time to time Injustice 2 (SP events), NEX Machina and picked up StarCraft again in wait of the remaster but that's it.

BNGames

Having a career means I don't have time to master all of the online games so I pick and choose. Overwatch remains the top game in my rotation and I am a damn good Mercy.

I still buy and collect everything I can that's retro. I choose to have toys instead of kids.

Oakinn

I'm 34, have two small boys and I spend more time playing games now than ever.

after 9 my kids and wife are in bed and I usually play for a few hours. Some night single player games (Zelda, Horizon and the like) and other nights pure multiplayer (Smite,Overwatch, Destiny).

I love this hobby too damn much

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm 44 now, and still a big kid that loves trying a variety of games. Although I bought PUBG and Splatoon 2, I've moved away from most online multiplayer shooters because I know I'm not as good as I once was. I also can't compete with the people that play for hours a day. While I'm more of a single player guy, I'm mostly into the quick pick up and play games. Titles that aren't big time sinks are my favorites.

MaDKaT

Lately, as Im nearing 40, Im just looking for new. Right now, new is VR.

For non VR games
- Story driven. Narrative is generally what will hook and compel me to complete.
- 5-12 hours in length
- Clear progression and path. Tend to avoid open ended/open world games.
- I avoid online and online multiplayer like the plague
- I will not hesitate to go to easy mode

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
I tend to have one or two major projects I work on, like the Witcher or P5, over a long period of time, and in between I mobile game or retro game (break out a Mega Man 2 playthrough for an hour and be done).

sotojuan

I'm only 23, so perhaps I am not the person you're looking for but compared to ten years ago, I don't try to complete games 100% any more. When was 13 I had more time and less money, so I had less games. I almost always got all achievements, trophies, and secrets.

Now I have the opposite problem: less time, more money -> more games. I'd rather beat a game and move on to the next unless I really, really like it.

Rizific

i hate games that include or focus on stuff that wastes my time IE story driven games, unskipable cutscenes, too many forced walking sections, etc. i tend to stick with games that I can just pick up and play for 30min-1hour long stretches because my attention will eventually get called to other duties that come with running a household and family. trophies/achievements can fuck off. its rare now that a game completely grabs me and keeps my attention, but i still keep buying games =/

vsMIC

42 in august, family man ... age changed several things.

- much more selective on buying games because of time invest
- if the game does not deliver early nor clicks quickly, i drop it very fast without remorse
- i focus more on trusted franchises and play these over a longer time period
- if setting/universe of the game is uninteresting to me, reviews can be off the chart, but i do not give it a chance
- several genres i loved in my youth are not interesting anymore, e.g. jrpgs
- tendency to play more mp games with online buddies
- single player games must be really good to keep my attention
- limited time made me interested in handheld (switch) for short gaming bursts without tv dependency
- gave up on playing fighting games competively and going to tournaments
- gave up on 100% playthrough and do not care for loot or collecthatons, more focused on natural progression/experience
- went full digital to avoid wasted time in collection and reselling work
- being father also brought me back to family friendly games, mainly nintendo

zeorhymer

I buy games that I think is interesting.

I end up not playing most of them.

Only time I will beat a game is if the story is that good. Most of the time I stop half way. Recent games I've beaten is Horizon and ME:A. Only reason I beat ME:A cause I'm a fand of the series and even though Andromeda was bad, I had to finish it out of loyalty to the brand.

I play a lot of Overwatch and will play Destiny 2 soon.

I love MMOs. I started with WoW, but that faded away. I did FFXIV to play with friends, but ended up hardly playing with them. I tried ESO, but couldn't get into it. I'm back into FFXIV and this time, I'm playing for myself and having a blast.

I'm 39 and I feel like the days are just blending in together.

I'm 40 and my gameplay has changed a fair bit over the last 10 years or so.

* Play every game on easy/normal
* Will drop a game very quickly if it doesn't interest me
* Will 100% complete games, but only if I'm enjoying it
* Not interested at all in competitive online games
* Have PSVR, but I don't use it that often
* Will often buy good/great games on sale, but not play them for a while
* More interested in reading about games then playing them (sometimes)

olore

Lots of 42s! Me too. Easy since forever really. I want to have fun: get in - shoot stuff- get out. Pragmatism. Also, three kids aged 2, 4 and 6...

njd_online

Banned
I'm by no means unique in this thread but I feel like sharing too.

I'm 36, married with a little one about to go into nursery/day care (fuck me, that shit is expensive) and I work a full time job.

I basically favour anything that rewards me in a quick session like SUPERHOT. Its perfect for jumping in, getting a bit of story, feeling like a badass and getting out. I can feel like I had a decent gaming session in a very short space of time.

Or Destiny, I have friends who are all in the same position and Destiny just works as an easy hang out to chat with them & to do something mindless which feels like progress.

The only actual gaming I do where I concentrate, make progress and can complete something is now on my phone whilst I'm travelling and thats leading me to the inevitable Switch purchase.

I find myself playing fewer and fewer multiplayer games as I get older. It's all about single player games for me now, especially epic ones like Zelda BoTW.

I simply lost all interest in trying to best anyone online and I also lost tolerance to multiplayer gamer demographic.

28 going on 60 here. I value my time much more than I used to. I rarely replay games, and I can't be bothered to play anything that doesn't hook me in within the first hour or so. In my younger years, I adored open-worlds. Now I struggle with useless filler content and giant empty worlds that exist simply for the sake of being huge.
Sorry BotW, I'll finish you eventually!

I also can't handle PvP anymore. I don't have the determination to learn dozens of different classes/characters, à la Overwatch, and don't have the patience for losing over and over because my teammates would rather play the badass lone wolf than help the team.

I also avoid games that are huge time-sinks according to the internet, like some RPGs (Pokemon, Xenoblades, Witcher)

I'm 37. Beat The Witcher III and the DLC's, and it's probably my favorite RPG. And want to replay both that and The Witcher 2.

A better rule then time for completion is to go by quality. And to realize that you don't have to clear every single quest/event marker on a map, if the game such things.

Don't see the value in going for quantity over quality when it comes to games.

ngower

I'm tired all the time so I wanna play stuff like Animal Crossing. If a game is more than 20 hours I probably won't buy it cause I'll never actually beat it.

Mercador

Got 40 few days ago. Competitive FPS is not on my list anymore. Might Return to WoW sometimes in the future.

If (sparetime > 60m) RPG : FPS;

Oh and I don't get mad if I don't finish a game anymore. Less stress on the backlog. If I don't like it anymore, I resell it with no regrets.

JusDoIt

I really used to enjoy shooty-man games when I was younger but now, I barely ever play them.

I've come to realize I love games with melee combat and fighting games in particular is a genre I've really been playing a hell of a lot of over the years.

This. The older I get, the more I just want to play fighting games.

Humdinger

Cracked 50. I've noticed these major changes as I've gotten older:

• Much better sense of what I like. Much less likely to buy a game based on hype or others' opinions.
  • Less patient and more picky. I think carefully about what games I want to put my time into. And if a game doesn't please me in the first hour, I'm generally done with it and moving on.
  • Much less interest in shooters and racers, zero interest in online gaming.
  • Increased appreciation for story and character.
  • Much less interest in the majority of AAA games. Increased appreciation for games that are different.

Pjsprojects

45yrs
Play everything on easy and find myself waiting for a single player game to end.

Mostly play Ark,Destiny 1/2,The Division and Forza/Project cars. But my friends are split between pc,X1 & PS4 so I use all three but did sell PSVR because it just gathered dust after the first week.

My main problem is what platform to buy a new game on.
Both my kids and my wife game so they have their own consoles.

Prophane33

Going on 35, married and finishing up my PhD, but my wife plays games more than I do since she has a more 9-5 type job. So my situation is a bit different from a lot of people my age; however, there are a ton of ways my gaming habits have changed or are kind of restricted by age/career/or just plain ol' time restrictions.

I avoid MMORPGs, even if they do sound interesting. I don't have the kind of time commitment or money to invest in paying a monthly fee for one game. I also dislike the social aspect of these type of games, so basically avoid them.

I feel aged out or like I don't have the patience for games like Minecraft or Pokemon. Though with the latter its more like "there are only 151 pokemon and ain't nobody got time for more".

I avoid most multiplayer based games. I did play Destiny with a colleague, but he was way farther than me by the time I checked in and I never did end up doing most of the raids. I did enjoy all non-raid single player content in the main game and expansions though. Again, I don't care for social-aspects of gaming.

Easy mode, all day erry day!

Bigger backlog: More money + Less Time = Buying way more games, but way less time to play them.

I have no problem with big games (contradictory to my pokemon and minecraft comments), it's just that I have to put a self-imposed cap on them. For example, I've been playing skyrim recently, but once I hit hour 60 I'm putting it down.

Other big games I restrict to handhelds, where I can play them in bed, or sneak an hour or two in while in my office. For example, Dragon Quest XI in a few days, I pre-ordered the 3DS version, so I can play during my free time and have a chance to do everything possible in the game (but that's mostly something I do with every DQ game).

Top Bottom