• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

x-Lundz-x

All you people in denial didn't watch digital foundries review. They clearly made mention of this issue that they had concerns this could happen.

https://youtu.be/g_OjR09FBUI

7:35 is when they start talking about the dock, clearly state the plastic runs across the screen. Said no scratches have appeared "YET" but this does not seem like something that is "haha dumbasses don't know how to dock their unit properly."

Nintendo fucked up is what this sounds like.

Gator86

Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

Given Nintendo's exuberance toward whaling these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually the point.

killatopak

Plastic?

That's it, waiting for revisions until I buy this damned thing.

I don't want to get burned again by faulty Nintendo hardware. Messed up my 3ds pretty quick.

PSFan

Tempered glass protectors look and feel the exact same as your screen.

Getting a screen protector is probably a requirement for the Switch since the screen is fully exposed and it's not a plastic, resistive screen like the DS/3DS anymore.

My Vita and PSP both have "exposed" screens, but I never needed a screen protector for either of them. And both screens are still in great condition.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Aaaaand, screen protector ordered. If a rubber pad can scratch a screen, anything can.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We have known that it isn't a (Gorilla)glass screen for who knows how long but the same people will act shocked again because of reasons.

If you can't handle your screen getting scratches while using it for years get a protector. I couldnt care less... It's a system I'll use every day and if I upgrade to a revision down the line I'll gift it to my nephew lol.

maybe by doing this

04d329529468cd875def045bbbdfb463.gif

killatopak

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hardware_review_nintendo_switch_nintendos_most_important_console_yet

One thing which is worth noting is that the panel itself is plastic rather than super-tough glass like you'd find on an iPhone or iPad. As such, it's very easy to scratch – our review unit picked up a mark within 24 hours despite being handled with utmost care – so you'll almost certainly want to purchase some kind of carry case if you're looking to take it out of the house, and perhaps even a screen protector.

Be sure to buy protection guys!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anyone know if any of the retailers are carrying screen protectors? Don't want to have to wait until Tuesday to play my Switch.

ZOONAMI

I returned my switch because of a wobbly joy con but I thought the dock was cheap as fuck looking. I didn't realize the screen was plastic though, screen looked very nice.

I kind of think Nintendo made a pretty big mistake with making this thing so modular. Increasing parts is going to increase problems.

It's pretty clear this thing is a handheld, so I don't really see why they are trying to market it as a home console as well. I would have preferred the sticks and buttons built in for portable mode. They could still have a dock bundle and include a pro controller. The dock I bet the BOM is less than $5. Super cheap looking plastic. Handheld alone should be $250.

They are essentially exiting the home console business but it's like they are trying to hide it. This is a handheld with a TV out.

Mohonky

All you people in denial didn't watch digital foundries review. They clearly made mention of this issue that they had concerns this could happen.

https://youtu.be/g_OjR09FBUI

7:35 is when they start talking about the dock, clearly state the plastic runs across the screen. Said no scratches have appeared "YET" but this does not seem like something that is "haha dumbasses don't know how to dock their unit properly."

Nintendo fucked up is what this sounds like.

As opposed to people who have the system and have (like myself) actually checked the tolerances.

Yes it can happen if you just go throwing it in there any old way, but its possible to put the system in the dock and never have the screen even touch anything.

But what would I know, Ive only got one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why wasn't this mentioned before when journalists got their hands on the Switch

Many reviews did not really want to rock any boats it seems. Same with Zelda's framerate issue. They seem so prevalent they should have been widely covered in reviews.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Small particles will get in the dock eventually and scratch your screen. Get a protector if you care about the screen.

Nick

This thread is going to be lit.

So happy I cancelled my Switch preorder two weeks ago.

I have handled all of the news about the Switch well - I haven't reacted strongly to lots of things that left me disappointed and been okay with everything I've heard.

But hearing the device has a plastic screen is... surreal. Like, holy shit. I don't think I can handle that. I think that might be it for me. I'll probably play Zelda and then sell it. I'll buy a new one when Pokemon comes out.

Kouriozan

You guys are scaring me, I absolutely hate scratches and could never apply screen protector without dust instantly being sucked in on it.

x-Lundz-x

As opposed to people who have the system and have (like myself) actually checked the tolerances.

Yes it can happen if you just go throwing it in there any old way, but its possible to put the system in the dock and never have the screen even touch anything.

But what would I know, Ive only got one.

Well let's see those receipt.. Link me to your tolerance video?

Piggus

That seemed pretty obvious from the pictures. Putting a glass screen protector on mine that it at least feels like glass.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I was very disappointed to learn that when I took me out of the box. I guess I'll need to get a screen protector at some point.

wowzors

Everyone saying to buy a tempered glass protector, okay where? There are none in stock available before the 10th. Going by this claim a week of use and it's already fuucked

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Getting flashbacks to how scratched up my PSP ended up....fuck!

Ansolutely ridiculous to still be using plastic in 2017.

Dynomutt

Is Corning Gorilla Glass expensive? I wonder what the investment is? Either that or Sapphire glass should have been used. I see the Switch as a more premium device due to its hybrid nature.

For a device intended for on the go use glass should have been considered.

Those kiosk units are done for!

Magwik

Banned
$299 USD.

They had the audacity to charge that much for this thing.
I didn't realize all of the cost comes from the screen.
Good thing cell phones don't have as much hardware and are cheaper like the iPhone or Pixel phone ... Oh wait.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
We have known that it isn't a (Gorilla)glass screen for who knows how long but the same people will act shocked again because of reasons.

If you can't handle your screen getting scratches while using it for years get a protector. I couldnt care less... It's a system I'll use every day and if I upgrade to a revision down the line I'll gift it to my nephew lol.

I agree with your point, but honestly, a week is pretty bad. I figured scratches would be caused by my own careless use, not by common use by design. While overall it will not affect functional use, staring at scratches on a screen I'm going to stare at all the time will bother me. Not make me insane by a long shot, but annoy me, yes.

I have handled all of the news about the Switch well - I haven't reacted strongly to lots of things that left me disappointed and been okay with everything I've heard.

But hearing the device has a plastic screen is... surreal. Like, holy shit. I don't think I can handle that. I think that might be it for me. I'll probably play Zelda and then sell it. I'll buy a new one when Pokemon comes out.

The hits just keep on coming.

Top Bottom