• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

Kalnos

Banned
Whoops, one more:

3030-Instrumentals.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Kalnos said:
Can't believe that I forgot RJD2 even existed and this comes from a "Deadringer" lover :(

I mentioned earlier that I was listen to a Ninja Tune compilation; Well one of the tracks is his and it's one of my favourite in the compilation "True confessions"

:(

Larsa

Subscribed. Have been looking for some recommendations. People should definitely check out Uyama Hiroto and Emancipator.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-fcYkR2NY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBAFEFF29FF723755
This album is really cool, sampling from a bunch of Mediterranean/Eastern European stuff. Short tracks, lots of variety, best listened to as whole album.

Thallus
http://thallus.bandcamp.com/
Just giving his stuff away, but you can help support him if you like his stuff.

Dela
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkzTimBsKQ&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdkQClwXWQ4XkUWCHZsUKSm
More good stuff, his style feels a bit more loose than other people. Gives a carefree vibe.

Jnerio Jarel [Dr Who Dat?]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dMShXhiTU&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcto1Ww9jH3_ZZmVNGmTVdL
He likes to play with all sorts of stuff, not always instrumental. His "Dr Who Dat?" alias is more in line with the other mentions in this thread, but he'll take things in many directions. Typically has a somewhat psychedelic feel.

Onra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_0NNMfS3A&playnext=1&list=AVTGnpyrBl25xUSIxFN6JEM5jgO1AcwHgy
A French artist bringin that dat Vietnamese flavor to the scene. Really cool stuff.

Quantic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY04UhXxewI&playnext=1&list=PLA7E6993E81124950
Lively and somewhat South American jazzy style

Dice

M_Night said:
Holy shit @ that Emancipator album. Thanks for recommending it to me, Kalnos.

Everyone should check it out!
I have had it for a long time, but usually when I'm going to go for that kind of stuff I listen to Bonobo instead. If you like Emancipator you should also check out Bonobo.

iavi

M_Night said:
Holy shit @ that Emancipator album. Thanks for recommending it to me, Kalnos.

Everyone should check it out!

All the tracks can be listened to on his blog.

Kalnos? :( lol.

Dice said:
I have had it for a long time, but usually when I'm going to go for that kind of stuff I listen to Bonobo instead. If you like Emancipator you should also check out Bonobo.

Bonobo is another incredible one, but his barely touches the electronic/jazz-hop line, whereas Emancipator is it with a -hop edge.

E: Genre confusion. I'm not so sure anymore...

But I will say that if you guys are digging, emancipator, I'll agree and say do check 'Black Sands' by Bonobo. It's an incredible album.

Bonobo_-_Black_Sands.jpeg

Bonobo - Black Sands

All in Forms
El Toro

kid ness

Amazing thread, I live for this music!

Recently I teamed up with a bunch of amazing artists who are graciously volunteering their works for a charity album I'm organizing for my blog/music site that should be released in about two weeks now. It's very jazz-hop based and it's going to be free w/ an option to donate (100% of proceeds go to charity). I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. I haven't shared this with anyone yet but here's two tracks off the compilation!

Otso - The Beginning of the End
P.SUS - Blue Mountain

Oh, and definitely check out Bob42jh's youtube channel if you haven't already. After finding his channel via GAF about six months ago, I've fallen in love with jazz-hop/jazzy hip hop. His channel is amazing, full of quality underground artists. He actually just released a compilation on his new record label, and it's free, featuring jazz-hop instrumentals from fantastic artists all over the world. You can snag it here. Highly recommended, it's fantastic.

Dice

Miri said:
Bonobo is another incredible one, but his barely touches the electronic/jazz-hop line, whereas Emancipator is it with a -hop edge.

E: Genre confusion. I'm not so sure anymore...
He is a lot more "musical" than others, especially since he started working with a live band to perform his arrangements, but he still has plenty of hiphop mixed in. Days to Come probably holds the loosest ties to the genre, but his other albums have it plenty strong so you'd mention it not just as an element present, but the consistent factor trying together all the styles he is using. Any which way, he's a genius and a role model to me as a composer/producer.

kid ness

Dice said:
Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-fcYkR2NY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBAFEFF29FF723755
This album is really cool, sampling from a bunch of Mediterranean/Eastern European stuff. Short tracks, lots of variety, best listened to as whole album.

Thallus
http://thallus.bandcamp.com/
Just giving his stuff away, but you can help support him if you like his stuff.

Dela
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkzTimBsKQ&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdkQClwXWQ4XkUWCHZsUKSm
More good stuff, his style feels a bit more loose than other people. Gives a carefree vibe.

Jnerio Jarel [Dr Who Dat?]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dMShXhiTU&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcto1Ww9jH3_ZZmVNGmTVdL
He likes to play with all sorts of stuff, not always instrumental. His "Dr Who Dat?" alias is more in line with the other mentions in this thread, but he'll take things in many directions. Typically has a somewhat psychedelic feel.

Onra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_0NNMfS3A&playnext=1&list=AVTGnpyrBl25xUSIxFN6JEM5jgO1AcwHgy
A French artist bringin that dat Vietnamese flavor to the scene. Really cool stuff.

Quantic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY04UhXxewI&playnext=1&list=PLA7E6993E81124950
Lively and somewhat South American jazzy style
+1 for all of these artists! All fantastic. Thallus, Dela, Onra, and Quantic are all among my favorites. I haven't checked out Oh No or much of Jnerio Janel, but my buddy actually used to be roomates with Jnerio Janel haha.

IrishNinja

so happy to see all the subs & love for this music! i love sharing this stuff. and yeah, i can't echo the Emancipator nods enough, i learned of them on here the same time as Thallus (again, also great).

i'm already learning stuff i didn't know about, too. and goddamn, everything Pinko Marx put up ill co-sign.

sebajuNujabes said:
Fantastic thread, Irish.

An artist named Witness put out a tribute EP a while back.

BUN3e.png

Witness - Farewell

this one i didn't know about - grabbing now! per Acicd08, we really should review these at some point. the ones i have are Modal Soul II, Flowers for Jun, Tribute to Jun, and Tribute to Nujabes (wish i labeled the last two better). i recall only one of them being okay, the rest i dug.

Vic said:
BTW, I got into this type of music because of Jet Set Radio & JSRF.

...really? shit, i need to go back on that OST. what an amazing game, i'm a huge sega fan and that one not being on the Dreamcast collection disc was a no-sale for me.

iavi

IrishNinja said:
this one i didn't know about - grabbing now! per Acicd08, we really should review these at some point. the ones i have are Modal Soul II, Flowers for Jun, Tribute to Jun, and Tribute to Nujabes (wish i labeled the last two better). i recall only one of them being okay, the rest i dug.

I only have "Tribute to Jun" and "An eternal Soul." Both of those are alright, imo, I wouldn't say that they're amazing though.

...really? shit, i need to go back on that OST. what an amazing game, i'm a huge sega fan and that one not being on the Dreamcast collection disc was a no-sale for me.

Tbh, I don't remember JGR/JSRF having much in the way of Jazz-hop on it. It was an amazingly apt ost though.

Dice said:
He is a lot more "musical" than others, especially since he started working with a live band to perform his arrangements, but he still has plenty of hiphop mixed in. Days to Come probably holds the loosest ties to the genre, but his other albums have it plenty strong so you'd mention it not just as an element present, but the consistent factor trying together all the styles he is using. Any which way, he's a genius and a role model to me as a composer/producer.

I have issues with saying that he's more "Musical" as that makes it sound as if he's inherently better than all, which isn't the case at all. And I do like him a lot.

IrishNinja

grabbing Spring Sampler EP now, thanks ness! and haha, back at you juicy - and everyone else too!

Miri - agreed. feel free to spread Michita (think it was you linking them before?) in here too.

Vic

Miri said:
Tbh, I don't remember JSR/JSRF having much in the way of Jazz-hop on it. It was an amazingly apt ost though.
To clarify: it was JSF that made me aware of rich & complex instrumental beats.

It made me focus on Bran Van 3000 and Jurassic 5 for a while. Then I discovered my personal holy grails; the Samurai Champloo OSTs (which by now I've probably listened more than 300 times) and the Ninja Tune label (bought a $30~40 album locally, "Cold Krush Cut", which is quite unusual knowing how cheap I am).

Instrumental Hip-Hop and Jazz-Hop are quite similar, which is why they are both mentioned in the thread title :p

BTW, how come Trip-Hop wasn't included in the thread title or does it fits into one of the two categories?

*Here's the $40 album I was talking about:
38832jqd4.jpg

IrishNinja

Vic said:
BTW, how come Trip-Hop wasn't included in the thread title or does it fits into one of the two categories?

to be honest, i tried mentioning it in the OP, but ive known a few fans of the genre/worked at a music store and there's stuff ive heard that woudln't neatly fit into the sound i thought was going on here, but then you take stuff like Entroducing by DJ Shadow and if there's anyone in this thread that hasn't heard it, my god, go listen now because you'll prolly be all about it.

i really did think about it, and it's completely welcome here (again, so is downtempo stuff like Thievery Corporation, i think there's a lotta room for crossover style in this umbrella), i just didn't want to make the title so big/ambiguous that people didn't know what they were getting into here. if we get too technical, i'm afraid it'd be harder to nail down a specific sound than define what an RPG is on the gaming side, heh.

TL;DR it totally fits.

Vic

IrishNinja said:
to be honest, i tried mentioning it in the OP, but ive known a few fans of the genre/worked at a music store and there's stuff ive heard that woudln't neatly fit into the sound i thought was going on here, but then you take stuff like Entroducing by DJ Shadow and if there's anyone in this thread that hasn't heard it, my god, go listen now because you'll prolly be all about it.

i really did think about it, and it's completely welcome here (again, so is downtempo stuff like Thievery Corporation, i think there's a lotta room for crossover style in this umbrella), i just didn't want to make the title so big/ambiguous that people didn't know what they were getting into here. if we get too technical, i'm afraid it'd be harder to nail down a specific sound than define what an RPG is on the gaming side, heh.

TL;DR it totally fits.
That's what I thought. Now that we're clear, let's carry on!

IrishNinja

Throavium said:
I've got a big post coming up.

...whatever happened with this?

checking out: Witness - Hope Springs Eternal, Bonobo - Black Sands, CCR - Friends & Family, Dorian Concept, Kan Kick, so much stuff in queue and i only recently found out the new one by

of7r5k.jpg

...so much to check out today. and i'm still waiting on Shinobi, Tokubetsu or someone to come in here & hype Onra's follow up to Chinoiseries - i gotta be honest, that one was kinda out there for me, i think i'm gonna re-listen when i'm in that mood cause it's pretty creative shit.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Great thread, subscribed. Contributing with some Cradle (apologies for the shitty video quality, but if you like Nujabes you ought to check Cradle out).

kid ness

CaptYamato said:
Does anyone else workout to this type of music? I've found that I concentrate more if I have Jazz-Hop playing.
Definitely. Personally, I find working out to the Transitions album Arts The Beatdoctor is like floating on a cloud.

arts.jpg

Decreasing Daylight

IrishNinja said:
grabbing Spring Sampler EP now, thanks ness!
No prob man, thanks for making such a great thread!

IrishNinja

i have, but it's been a lot better for me running/cardio than strength training. i'm not picky with what comes on during lifting, even old r&b/soul shit works. but i try to run this 3 mile bridge/stretch out here late at night once or twice a week, and goddamn, some shit like What does your soul look like or Aruarian Dance comes on and i zone out & just catch a 2nd/3rd/whatever wind. feels amazing.

iavi

CaptYamato said:
Does anyone else workout to this type of music? I've found that I concentrate more if I have Jazz-Hop playing.

I can't work out to it at all. Infact, I listen to just about everything, but can really only get into a workout with rock--Metal, and it's many variants, preferably.

Jazz/Down-tempo/ Trip-Hop does wonders for my studies, on the other hand. I guess that's a given.

Vic said:
To clarify: it was JSF that made me aware of rich & complex instrumental beats.

It made me focus on Bran Van 3000 and Jurassic 5 for a while. Then I discovered my personal holy grails; the Samurai Champloo OSTs (which by now I've probably listened more than 300 times) and the Ninja Tune label (bought a $30~40 album locally, "Cold Krush Cut", which is quite unusual knowing how cheap I am).

Instrumental Hip-Hop and Jazz-Hop are quite similar, which is why they are both mentioned in the thread title :p

Haha, I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was questioning you, bud. I just really can't remember much of their osts, save for 'Hello Allison.' It's probably impossible to forget that track.

I got into the genre/s with Champloo myself.

Vic

Miri said:
Haha, I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was questioning you, bud. I just really can't remember much of their osts, save for 'Hello Allison.' It's probably impossible to forget that track.

I got into the genre/s with Champloo myself.
Just wanted to clarify, that's all :)

Top Bottom