• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

Amir0x said:
On the one hand, I don't know if I disagree with the Dragon Age origins score. on the other hand, I played it for every waking hour of my time off from work when I got it.

It's derivative as fuck, the loading on the 360 version is fucking nasty, the A.I. can be retarded even when you set their tactics extensively, the game has the most wildly swinging difficulty of any RPG I've played in ages - easy one second, almost impossibly difficult the next.

And yet I can't stop playing it whenever I turn it on. it's a 5/10 and a 9/10!

Imo if a game is fun, interesting and does not become boring after a while it should get the 9. Afterall wasn't Edge the publication that was bragging that they're not interested in such lowly things as bugs but they see the whole picture? It's depressing to see how ridiculous this magazine has become.

ksan

Well, playing the PC version of DA I obviously understood that it would be at least slightly better than the console version, but is the key to getting 4 or 5 more points in a review really isometric view?
Maybe all games should just add isometric camera view and maybe we'll see games getting scores like 11/10 or 12/10, or even higher than that?

Aaron

ksan said:
Well, playing the PC version of DA I obviously understood that it would be at least slightly better than the console version, but is the key to getting 4 or 5 more points in a review really isometric view?
Maybe all games should just add isometric camera view and maybe we'll see games getting scores like 11/10 or 12/10, or even higher than that?
Now you're being silly. Would Halo be the same as a top down shooter with dual stick controls? I think they're score is too harsh, but people shouldn't judge their reasons without actually reading the review.

Edge scores strike me as wacky and inconsistent, at least for as long as I've bothered following them. In general it's hard to find an outlet where it doesn't feel like you have to take the politics of scoring into account, but Edge was always sort of trumpeted by its adherents as being tough but fair. I don't see it.

Shinjitsu

Banned
whatevermort said:
When I clicked on this thread I honestly expected to see it given a ten, and that was the reason for the surprise. Just goes to show: one man's meal is another man's leftovers. Or something.

Don't get me wrong, Dragon Age is my favorite game of the year so far, hands down. I don't think it deserves a perfect score or one close to it. It has some technical issues even on the PC (mostly with low textures or bad animation). Someone earlier mentioned the pacing being a bit off as well, I can also agree on this. But even someone that hates RPG's can't really think the game honestly deserves a 50%.

I think Edge just feels the need to give crazy scores to be Edgy sometimes? Get it?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
omg they use the entire scoring scale!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never buy your magazine again, sir! Never!

A 5 in Edge is a good game you fucking dunderheads :lol

Xellotah

Dragonage has been one of the most immerseful RPG I've played in a long time. Even if it doesn't live up to the likes of Baldurs Gate II, a 5 is disgraceful.

Huggers

fortified_concept said:
It's depressing to see how ridiculous this magazine has become.

It's depressing that people still spiel off this shit every other month in Edge review threads. They gave it a 5, Eurogamer gave it a 6. Clearly the console iteration did not click with these reviewers like it did you. That doesn't make the whole publication 'ridiculous'. There are multiple complaints with the 360 version of Dragon Age that could seriously affect the experience for anyone. Also, as stated above, you haven't even read the review, their could be some vital clues in there regarding the score

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MMaRsu said:
Have you even played Assassins Creed II?

:lol
Yes, have you?

I'm mostly surprised by AC2 getting shafted by MW2. I know they're different genres, but how many bad things can you say about AC2 than MW2? AC2 improves from its predecessor in almost every area, whereas MW2 is more of the same but dumbed down even further.

Some Dragon Age quotes that might give this context:

An RPG of great length, dubious execution and sparse charm that has familiar fantasy schlock as its major selling point.

Many games have dialogue that is inferior to Dragon Age's, but few have the termerity to force so much of it upon you... one of many scenes so clumsily scripted you almost wish you were reading a Dan Brown novel.

The miser of its dramatic ambition is only compounded by the gruesome quality of its motion capture and character modelling.

Any one of these elements might be trivial in isolation, but the sum total of its failures in writing, acting and presentation creates a cringe-inducing quality comparable to watching a school play performed through the medium of second-rate machinima.

They actually speak about both PC and 360, saying that the PC does look nicer, but the same problems exist with the gameplay. They hate the dungeon crawl aspect. But they keep returning to the setting, and the "tawdry Tolkienisms" that it apparently features; that's what gets the most criticism in the review, which is odd, as I think that Bioware did actually do some interesting things with it. If this had the Baldur's Gate license, would they have been so harsh, knowing that it was playing within an established and continuous universe? I don't know. They are, in the end, not kind to any part of this game, at all.

Oh, and they give special criticism to Claudia Black's performance.

Is it bizarro day today?

I can't speak for the console versions, but Dragon Age is an 8/10 at the least.

And I cannot understand why L4D2 is not receiving straight 10s. A paltry 9 is just not good enough.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Edge scores strike me as wacky and inconsistent, at least for as long as I've bothered following them. In general it's hard to find an outlet where it doesn't feel like you have to take the politics of scoring into account, but Edge was always sort of trumpeted by its adherents as being tough but fair. I don't see it.

Like I said, it used to be that way. After some layoffs a long time ago, it's just a magazine pretending to be Edge. And in order to fill that role they have to find a scapegoat every once in a while to destroy in order to make people forget that most of their scores nowadays are 8s 9s and 10s. It's IGN with tourrets.

ksan

Aaron said:
Now you're being silly. Would Halo be the same as a top down shooter with dual stick controls? I think they're score is too harsh, but people shouldn't judge their reasons without actually reading the review.

Aaah! I'm such a silly boy! :lol
Sorry, but to give DA a 5/10 and compare it to Halo which got a 10/10 there's no way to justify those scores, especially if you compare them how good they are for their genre.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ChoklitReign said:
I'm mostly surprised by AC2 getting shafted by MW2. I know they're different genres, but how many bad things can you say about AC2 than MW2? AC2 improves from its predecessor in almost every area, whereas MW2 is more of the same but dumbed down even further.
wtf?

Haunted

I refuse to believe that Bayonetta could be this good. EDGE 10s truly aren't what they used to be.

I've heard the console versions of Dragon Age were shit, so I'm not surprised. If their main criticism is directed towards something that can also be applied to the PC version, I'd be surprised (and disappointed - it's an awesome BioWare RPG).

Haunted said:
I refuse to believe that Bayonetta could be this good. EDGE 10s truly aren't what they used to be.
Agree with this. But if it's even Devil May Cry 1, Viewtiful Joe and Okami good, I'll enjoy the hell out of it. Kamiya ftw.

Durante

Shinjitsu said:
I think Edge just feels the need to give crazy scores to be Edgy sometimes? Get it?
Exactly. Edge's antics started to bore me long ago. DA:O (on PC) is the best party-based RPG since MotB at least, and the best in combat for longer than that.

whatevermort said:
They hate the dungeon crawl aspect.
Well, that's just wrong. The dungeon crawling on PC/Hard is just amazing. It's one of the nicest parts of the game.

Danne-Danger said:
Actually, I agree with a lot of those points.

Which character did Claudia Black do the VA for?

Morrigan, and people seem to have generally really liked her delivery. I did, certainly - I thought that she (and the chap who plays Alistair) were much better in DA than they were in Uncharted 2.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Haunted said:

gamersyde review says it's not horribly frustrating and unbalanced, which makes me think i'll like it more than the latest DMC or NG games. it'd be cool to play a good character action game and not want to self immolate when i die for the ten thousandth time on a boss.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
L4D should be a 10 cause its SOO RAD.

what is bayonetta?

also dragon age should get a minus 10. It's impossible to go to digg.com now without getting bombarded by that shit. FU dragonage!

fortified_concept said:
Like I said, it used to be that way. After some layoffs a long time ago, it's just a magazine pretending to be Edge. And in order to fill that role they have to find a scapegoat every once in a while to destroy in order to make people forget that most of their scores nowadays are 8s 9s and 10s. It's IGN with tourrets.
Makes sense. As I posted, they've seemed wacky for as long as I followed them, which probably is not nearly as long as a lot of gaffers who have memories of the magazine in another era. It seems like a lot of people still defend their sterling reputation though.

Korey

Haunted said:
Why? Famitsu gave Bayonetta four 10s, and it's the first game on an Xbox console to get a perfect score from them. I think it's safe to assume at this point that Bayonetta will be a pretty good game.

EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10

These are Edge's scores for Bioware games (& The Witcher)? Pffft.

Xellotah said:
Ah, well... she wasn't really worse than anyone else, IMO. The writing is what brings it down rather than the performances.

whatevermort said:
Morrigan, and people seem to have generally really liked her delivery. I did, certainly - I thought that she (and the chap who plays Alistair) were much better in DA than they were in Uncharted 2.
Alistair is by far the best one. If you have subtitles enabled you'll notice that whoever does the voice adds a lot to the written script.

Naeblish

EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10
I guess they only have The Elder Scrolls type of rpg lovers in there.

Aaron

Danne-Danger said:
Ah, well... she wasn't really worse than anyone else, IMO. The writing is what brings it down rather than the performances.
Clearly, her accent wasn't British enough.

mclem

toythatkills said:
Mine too ¬_¬

Mine wasn't. So shiny!

Glancing through the review myself, the text makes me feel that the PC version was more like an 8 or so, and they were really disappointed with the Xbox interface. There's a lot more positive comments about the PC in comparison to the Xbox than have been indicated so far.

They were by far most scathing about the quality of the writing. And, to be fair, the examples they gave do sound pretty damn cringeworthy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
domlolz said:
***Bayonetta: 10(!)***

<3 SEGA <3

All Hail the Emperor! the best and coolest publisher in the world.

well and kudos to Platinum Games and Kamiya too.

Haunted said:

so EDGE is the new Famitsu now ?

Dragon Age:Origins: 5

well deserved , thing was all over the place.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dragon-Age is fun, but goddamn is it flawed. I got the console version and WOW was I surprised when I popped it in and it looked nothing like the commercials.

Korey said:
Why? Famitsu gave Bayonetta four 10s, and it's the first game on an Xbox console to get a perfect score from them. I think it's safe to assume at this point that Bayonetta will be a pretty good game.
I'm sure the game will be fun, but "pretty good" is a far cry from a 10. Don't get me wrong, I'll be psyched if the game lives up to the score, but I can't help but be skeptical until I try it for myself. I mean, Platinum Games is good, but I don't think anyone saw them cranking out a perfect 10 title based on their prior output. It would sort of put them in a whole new light.

Yoshichan

DY_nasty said:
Dragon-Age is fun, but goddamn is it flawed. I got the console version and WOW was I surprised when I popped it in and it looked nothing like the commercials.
So you didn't watch any gameplay footage before buying the game? Really? Only CG trailers?

Pug

Blimblim said:
Well deserved score for Bayonetta, except for a few technical issues (360 version of course) it's an awesome game.

I thought the PS3 had the problems, washed out look and poorer frame rate.

shinshero

WHAT! DRAGON AGE A 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its easily a GOTY contender!
Its easily up there in terms of enjoyment with Uncharted 2 & Modern Warfare 2. Hell, personally its more enjoyable than Modern Warfare 2 and that got a 9!

:( Can anyone post the text for this review.

Haunted

Korey said:
Protip: Never use a Famitsu review to argue anything.

I knew it would be a good game when motherfucking Kamiya announced he was making it, what I've seen from it so far just didn't seem like an EDGE 10.

Totobeni said:
so EDGE is the new Famitsu now ?
Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

mclem said:
Mine wasn't. So shiny!

Glancing through the review myself, the text makes me feel that the PC version was more like an 8 or so, and they were really disappointed with the Xbox interface. There's a lot more positive comments about the PC in comparison to the Xbox than have been indicated so far.
That sounds reasonable.

mclem said:
They were by far most scathing about the quality of the writing. And, to be fair, the examples they gave do sound pretty damn cringeworthy.
uh oh.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seiken said:
So you didn't watch any gameplay footage before buying the game? Really? Only CG trailers?
Meh, I bought it on a whim. I saw Bioware and thought "Hmm, its gonna be a good rpg, but with obvious glaring flaws"

Its pretty much that, but it has more flaws than anything they've put out - even KoTOR2.

Althoran

From what I have seen I would have given L4D2 an 8 since it is mostly a rehash of the previous L4D with a few additions.
Still an 8 because it is an awesome game. But I wouldn't have thought a 9 for a game like this.

Top Bottom