• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None Season 2 |OT| Aziz Ansari's Show Finally Returns (May 12th - Netflix)

KiN0

Do any other people of color think this show is kinda...whatever?

I'm all for having different perspectives than the regular sad white dude trope but they never go as hard as I want them too. Everything just feels like this sanitized after school special where wowowow there's more races wheee type of feel

It just seems so basic to me. Like they would have this in the "I wanna be more woke" starter kit.

What do you mean by "hard"? 1st season there was a whole episode dedicated to typecasting; this season tackled homosexuality in the black community and general racism in the dating scene. I guess they could try to make the issues more prevalent outside of single episodes?

The show has a lot of problems, and I get what you're saying about how basic and sanitized the show feels; but race and color are two areas the show has done decently well.

You said words, but gave no actual analysis

What do you mean by "hard"? 1st season there was a whole episode dedicated to typecasting; this season tackled homosexuality in the black community and general racism in the dating scene. I guess they could try to make the issues more prevalent outside of single episodes?

The show has a lot of problems, and I get what you're saying about how basic and sanitized the show feels; but race and color are two areas the show has done decently well.

Sorry, it was pretty much just late night ramblings.

What's really bothered me is when Alan Yang said at some award show

"Thank you to the straight white guys who dominated movies and TV so hard, for so long that stories about anyone else seem kind of fresh and original"

And that's the problem. Besides "Parents", "Indians on TV" and maybe "I Love You New York"-- Master of None is basically just another bland straight white guy show to me.

Aziz and Alan love to live in this world where it's just a rainbow coalition, they don't really get *that* deep into what makes us as Asian American males stand out. What makes *our* experience unique. They want to gloss things over and even the sad relationship bits Dev falls into just seem...bland?

For example, the dating episode could have been deeper. Asian American men are the least matched profiles on these dating apps and all this episode gave was one brief line about it. Do you guys understand how those little things effect our psyche subconsciously? Like we have to try harder, be more stylish, be something extravagant just to be maybe equal parity to your below average white guy.

I'm only saying I'm disappointed because I do share a lot of characteristics with Dev's character, in personality AND ethnicity. I get that this is supposed to be more light in tone but it just baffles me how much praise this show gets for being the bare minimum.

That's why I wanted to get input from more people of color to see how they felt about this representation. Because this is basically the only show we have.

Finished the season last night. Highlights for me were Episode 6 and 9, but every episode did something unique and outside of shows like Atlanta and Louie it's not often we get experimental shows from comedians/talented writers who often take on the production by themselves. I like how it showcased stories we usually don't hear about, even more than season 1. New York, I Love You was just a perfect example of this.
Also, I really wanted Dev to get with Francesca, but with that last shot, maybe there's hope?
Love this show and can't wait for more.

Harp

I'm all for having different perspectives than the regular sad white dude trope but they never go as hard as I want them too. Everything just feels like this sanitized after school special where wowowow there's more races wheee type of feel

It just seems so basic to me. Like they would have this in the "I wanna be more woke" starter kit.

Lol I am Black, what else do you want them to do? In reality middle class Americans of all races really are not that much different we should all know where we come from and respect our own culture. But if you make good money in America and can live a well to do life you actually can just be who you are. You don't have to go over the top with Stereotypes. It no different from a white person trying to act the black experience.

otapnam

"Thank you to the straight white guys who dominated movies and TV so hard, for so long that stories about anyone else seem kind of fresh and original"

And that's the problem. Besides "Parents", "Indians on TV" and maybe "I Love You New York"-- Master of None is basically just another bland straight white guy show to me.

Aziz and Alan love to live in this world where it's just a rainbow coalition, they don't really get *that* deep into what makes us as Asian American males stand out. What makes *our* experience unique. They want to gloss things over and even the sad relationship bits Dev falls into just seem...bland?

For example, the dating episode could have been deeper. Asian American men are the least matched profiles on these dating apps and all this episode gave was one brief line about it. Do you guys understand how those little things effect our psyche subconsciously? Like we have to try harder, be more stylish, be something extravagant just to be maybe equal parity to your below average white guy.

I'm only saying I'm disappointed because I do share a lot of characteristics with Dev's character, in personality AND ethnicity. I get that this is supposed to be more light in tone but it just baffles me how much praise this show gets for being the bare minimum.

That's why I wanted to get input from more people of color to see how they felt about this representation. Because this is basically the only show we have.

I think that a big part of why u may be looking for more but not getting it, is that the show portrays dev as an Indian American more so than Indian or Asian

Yes they touch on the cultural topics here and there, but more importantly he is also just a 30 something American like many of us. He just happens be second generation Indian American.

Where in other shows, the ethnic characters would be differentiated more because of their race, in master of none, it's used to build n define part of his character and youth but not wholly define his current self.

LionPride

Banned

I've began to realize that having shows that are just "bland straight white guy show" but not with a white guy is an improvement. Not every show has to be out to do something new or tell a deep message. Just having an brown guy be the lead is a step up from damn near every show in America. He's not a sterotype, he's just a guy. There is opportunity to show the in depth details of being Asian and dating but the show didn't and that's fine. It's fine to be disappointed though.

I think that a big part of why u may be looking for more but not getting it, is that the show portrays dev as an Indian American more so than Indian or Asian

Yes they touch on the cultural topics here and there, but more importantly he is also just a 30 something American like many of us. He just happens be second generation Indian American.

Where in other shows, the ethnic characters would be differentiated more because of their race, in master of none, it's used to build n define part of his character and youth but not wholly define his current self.

I'm a 1.5 generation Filipino-American, but moved here so young that I'm basically 2nd gen. Like Aziz, I grew up in the south. Like Aziz, I'm in the production world.

I don't know if he's assimilated to the point of not caring (or only taking credit when people fawn over his uniqueness) but living in this elevated dream where most of his problem is being a host on a cupcake show for seven seasons just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry man, that's not the world we live in. You can't show "Indians on TV" and then just push him into that hosting gig like it's nothing. I get that the show is vignettes, Dev's life isn't really a plot point but it just seems like flimsy world building to me. I can't wrap my head around this delusion.

I've began to realize that having shows that are just "bland straight white guy show" but not with a white guy is an improvement. Not every show has to be out to do something new or tell a deep message. Just having an brown guy be the lead is a step up from damn near every show in America. He's not a sterotype, he's just a guy. There is opportunity to show the in depth details of being Asian and dating but the show didn't and that's fine. It's fine to be disappointed though.

I know, and I appreciate every little morsel we get. But Alan Yang's comment really irked me. Don't bitch about stories of straight white guys and then make the same thing but maybe 2 degrees off center

I'm a 1.5 generation Filipino-American, but moved here so young that I'm basically 2nd gen. Like Aziz, I grew up in the south. Like Aziz, I'm in the production world.

I don't know if he's assimilated to the point of not caring (or only taking credit when people fawn over his uniqueness) but living in this elevated dream where most of his problem is being a host on a cupcake show for seven seasons just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry man, that's not the world we live in. You can't show "Indians on TV" and then just push him into that hosting gig like it's nothing. I get that the show is vignettes, Dev's life isn't really a plot point but it just seems like flimsy world building to me. I can't wrap my head around this delusion.

We had a whole season 1 where he was doing odd acting gigs and got cut outta a movie he thought he was gonna be a decent part of. I dunno why him getting a win in this season is a bad thing. Should his character just endless flounder?

I know, and I appreciate every little morsel we get. But Alan Yang's comment really irked me. Don't bitch about stories of straight white guys and then make the same thing but maybe 2 degrees off center

I don't get what was white about Dev though. It's pretty obvious that aspects of his culture obviously play a role in his life. What did you want to see?

LotusHD

Banned
I've began to realize that having shows that are just "bland straight white guy show" but not with a white guy is an improvement.

One and done. It will take a looooooooooong time before I get tired of shows like this, outside of them being terrible from the get-go. Not that I consider him the brown equivalent of a bland straight white guy really, but whatever. Also didn't Dev kind of comment on this last season in "Indians on TV", where him and his friends lament the whole thing where too many Indians on a show automatically makes it an "Indian show". I always felt like that's part of what his show is about, is where you can show this guy and life and culture, but that doesn't mean that the show is entirely about it. You can't not talk about it of course, but it seems like he just wanted to focus on telling the story of the life of Dev.

Like this quote:

I mean it's blunt, but goddamn is it not the truth. Maybe one day I'll "see the light" and get bored of shows like this, but at the moment, it's refreshing as fuck to see.

I appreciate the diversity, but at the same time acknowledge that this show doesn't have to be some sort of leading authority on Indian Amercians or some other minority group. I acknowledge it can always be a step further, that it can be more informative or even more realistic, but I don't feel like this particular show necessarily owes that to us. Maybe it ultimately is the bare minimum, at least for you, and that's fine. But uhh, it's sure doing a lot more than a bunch of other shows, that's for sure.

We had a whole season 1 where he was doing odd acting gigs and got cut outta a movie he thought he was gonna be a decent part of. I dunno why him getting a win in this season is a bad thing. Should his character just endless flounder?

I don't get what was white about Dev though. It's pretty obvious that aspects of his culture obviously play a role in his life. What did you want to see?

I'm not sure what exactly. It just feels so weird that it's not resonating with me when it should. I should've watched this show and went "Yes this is my life, I am Dev, these are my experiences, I'm so glad a part of my voice is out there".

I can concede that it may be selfish of me to expect those things. That I want him to cater to me and my Asian American experience, I get that. But something about the show just feels inauthentic to me. Again, that's why I asked if I'm unique in this feeling.

otapnam

I'm not sure what exactly. It just feels so weird that it's not resonating with me when it should. I should've watched this show and went "Yes this is my life, I am Dev, these are my experiences, I'm so glad a part of my voice is out there".

I can concede that it may be selfish of me to expect those things. That I want him to cater to me and my Asian American experience, I get that. But something about the show just feels inauthentic to me. Again, that's why I asked if I'm unique in this feeling.

It may play a part of where u live or grew up.

Living in the sf Bay area myself, a 2nd gen chinese American, can totally understand dev's pov.

The character of Dev being in a place like nyc and having experiences as an actor are very specific. Perhaps that is why you are having a harder time connecting.

I dunno. I don't think the point is that it is suppose to mirror the life of every I ndian person. What I personally like is that we get to have a show with a leading star who is 1) an under represented minority and 2) not a walking stereotype or forcing all the issues his culture faces on you. Dev feels lime a real person with good and bad. Flaws and all.

I dunno. To me the show has always felt quite real. Goofy and outwardly silly but real. I don't think the point was selling the Asian American experience. I think the point was "here is an Asian American and this is some of his life". It shows how his race affects his life but it also shows him in the capacity of a normal person that still lives a typical American life.

KiN0

I also feel like there's a fakeness to the show that comes across as a bit pretentious. The whole show comes across as a series long expansion of that rooftop Switch commercial.

phanphare

Banned
I also feel like there's a fakeness to the show that comes across as a bit pretentious. The whole show comes across as a series long expansion of that rooftop Switch commercial.

giphy.gif

I love this forum sometimes. Where else can you read shit like this?

Ryck

Just finished the season, loved it, not really a fan of the last episode and how they decided to end the season but I thought overall the season was fantastic.

Part of me was hoping he would get back with his ex, this situation with Fran is as Arnold said "a shit show".

Loved Arnold this season as well as Dev's dad. A few pages back a poster said his parents should be killed off and I legitimately got a sick feeling in my stomach.

Like everyone else has said the New York and Thanksgiving episodes with the best.

KiN0

What does this even mean

I love this forum sometimes. Where else can you read shit like this?

I mean, the show makes fun of rich people in a bunch of different instances, but all of the characters pretty much lead upper class lifestyles. They wear expensive looking clothes, eat at trendy, upscale restaurants, live in big sumptuously decorated apartments, and can pack up their lives and go on an eat pray love style vacation.

The scenarios are realistic to a certain extent, but there just isn't any ugliness in the show that reflects the reality I feel the writers are trying to portray.

otapnam

I mean, the show makes fun of rich people in a bunch of different instances, but all of the characters pretty much lead upper class lifestyles. They wear expensive looking clothes, eat at trendy, upscale restaurants, live in big sumptuously decorated apartments, and can pack up their lives and go on an eat pray love style vacation.

The scenarios are realistic to a certain extent, but there just isn't any ugliness in the show that reflects the reality I feel the writers are trying to portray.

I don't know. But. People actually live like this? U don't even have to be upper class . It's a millennial thing

KiN0

I don't know. But. People actually live like this? U don't even have to be upper class . It's a millennial thing

Debt, loan payments, and poor spending habits are a millennial thing too, but the show doesn't talk about those things. It only focuses on the pretty things. It portrays a reality where the only thing a person has to worry about is finding a fulfilling relationship; and it comes across as fake because that's clearly not the case in real life.

LionPride

Banned
Debt, loan payments, and poor spending habits are a millennial thing too, but the show doesn't talk about those things. It only focuses on the pretty things. It portrays a reality where the only thing a person has to worry about is finding a fulfilling relationship; and it comes across as fake because that's clearly not the case in real life.
So even though in Season 1 they set up how he affords his apartment with the royalties from a commercial, plus him going from acting job to acting job, then landing a hit show hosting job, you expect him to be in debt? He doesn't seem to spend all of his money terribly, what show shows people paying debts and the like unless it's a show about a poor family.

It's what Aziz and Alan wanna show, and that's fine.

KiN0

So even though in Season 1 they set up how he affords his apartment with the royalties from a commercial, plus him going from acting job to acting job, then landing a hit show hosting job, you expect him to be in debt? He doesn't seem to spend all of his money terribly, what show shows people paying debts and the like unless it's a show about a poor family.

It's what Aziz and Alan wanna show, and that's fine.

Broad City and Fleabag. Both are shows that revolve around millennials and portray the struggle to make money while pursuing your dreams. Friends even had a story arc about this with Joey after he lost his acting job and had to move back in with Chandler because he spent all his money on fancy dinners and expensive furniture. Heck, even Parks and Rec pokes at millennial spending habits in the way they put Tom in massive debt for his extravagant lifestyle.

Nobody in Master of None struggles with money, yet they all lead luxurious lifestyles while pursuing careers that don't seem to demand much if any responsibility. That is why the show seems fake to me. It comes off as a fantasy.

And yeah, this may be the show that Alan and Aziz want to make, but that fact doesn't put the show above scrutiny.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished the season earlier today. It was amazing, I agree with those that say it's better than Season 1. This season reminded me of Atlanta a little, in that while it is not nearly as surreal, it just kind of does whatever it wants each episode, where you don't really know what to expect as you progress through the season. This also helps the whole rom-com side of things not become annoying in my opinion. But yea, just like S1 was in its respective year, it's easily one of the best shows this year.

Thoughts:

- Dev's dad continues to be delightful. As usual, not too hot on the mom, but I continue to forgive it since she's Dev's actual parent as well. Shout out to Brian's dad as well, his scenes were arguably more hilarious.

- Arnold is meh, I'm tired of him. I like Denise more now. Brian's whatever.

- Screw Jeff.

- Y'all weren't kidding about how great Francesca was. I think it's largely has to do with her accent though. Hell, my female friend said as much like 10 minutes after seeing her, and... I couldn't disagree.
I wonder if it's a trope of some kind, the whole cute foreigner with the accent whose English could be better, is totally entranced and even becomes a little childlike when introduced to America and its American things. Not that I'm saying that's all she is, but at any rate, that's definitely part of why Dev fell for her imo.

Spoiler Thoughts:

So many great episodes, but the 6th, 8th, and 9th ones were the clear standouts for me. Loved the scene with kid Dev eating bacon, Brian's dad being indecisive over two women (+1 dog), the first episode being in black and white, etc.

- Loved getting to see other people's perspectives outside of Dev. I enjoyed the deaf woman and the African men the most.

- Thanksgiving episode was real as fuck. Loved how they gave more background on Denise, as well as showing that her and Dev really have been friends for a long ass time. Loved her family and their reactions to basically everything Dev did (Nipplesandtoes23!) And of course, the whole deal about black families being more "intense" when it comes to finding out a family member is gay was spot-on. Even if they don't disown you, it'll often have some kind of caveat like not being "disrespectful" at family functions. That being said, goddamn, Denise has good taste in women.

- Dev and Francesca, ohh man, the feels. Shipping Dev and Francesca is sooo awkward, because I swear this is like the first time I've ever wanted a someone to cheat so damn badly (in a TV show). Awful thing to say regardless, but damn, they were really cute together, even surpassing Dev and Rachael for me. That being said, that was an initial feeling. As the show progresses, you see that Pino doesn't really have any glaring flaws or red flags, and Dev goes from a guy that pretends he doesn't want her to actively conspiring with Arnold on how badly he wants this to happen. Went from being something I wanted to me slowly feeling quite uncomfortable about it, especially that whole "You used me" monologue later on. That being said, Francesca is not in the right either of course, girl knew damn well what she was doing inviting him to hang out all the time. Either way of course, it's quite complicated with them genuinely loving one another, she not being really happy with Pino, not being realistic for her to just dump her old life for Dev, etc. etc. Like Arnold said though, it'd be a shitshow if they genuinely enter a relationship. (I'll probably still root for them though...) Not to mention Mario would miss her...

It's a TV show, so one hand it's kind of easy to just be like "Fuck Pino, I want these two together at all costs, they're so perfect, blah blah blah", but even I had my limits. Though I would be completely fine with them pursuing a relationship if Francesca broke it off with Pino beforehand, which did not seem to have happened.

But uhh, seeing the last shot, it seems they are together, so... I'm going to let them be my guilty pleasure. Whatever happens with S3, I think we can all agree that this cliffhanger is fucking brutal.

Did they ever show what Brian did for a living? I cant seem to remember.

I really loved this season, despite hating that stupid cliffhanger ending. I do think Dev was extremely selfish but if I was in his position I might feel the same way. Seeing Dev and
Franchesca
together made me feel so many things. Theyre so damn cute together. That dancing scene near the end of the season was heartbreaking :(

LionPride

Banned
Broad City and Fleabag. Both are shows that revolve around millennials and portray the struggle to make money while pursuing your dreams. Friends even had a story arc about this with Joey after he lost his acting job and had to move back in with Chandler because he spent all his money on fancy dinners and expensive furniture. Heck, even Parks and Rec pokes at millennial spending habits in the way they put Tom in massive debt for his extravagant lifestyle.

Nobody in Master of None struggles with money, yet they all lead luxurious lifestyles while pursuing careers that don't seem to demand much if any responsibility. That is why the show seems fake to me. It comes off as a fantasy.

And yeah, this may be the show that Alan and Aziz want to make, but that fact doesn't put the show above scrutiny.
You can't use Broad City when for the most part...they're broke.

Also, was the show ever stated to be a realistic look at life for someone? Not every show has to do that.

Bishman

I'm black and relate to this show.

I grew up with Indians so it is hilarious to me.

I've began to realize that having shows that are just "bland straight white guy show".

That's how I felt the first season was and part of this one. I only fuck with the parents and "Indians on TV" episodes of the first season and in this season there are more I feel defer from that and I enjoy a bit more, but there are still some I think can be described that way. From season 2 I enjoy "The Thief", "Religion", "First Date", "New York I Love You" and "Thanksgiving". Oh my gosh, Thanksgiving! I haven't watched the last two episodes I admit because I figure I'd be bored.

Shaneus

That's how I felt the first season was and part of this one. I only fuck with the parents and "Indians on TV" episodes of the first season and in this season there are more I feel defer from that and I enjoy a bit more, but there are still some I think can be described that way. From season 2 I enjoy "The Thief", "Religion", "First Date", "New York I Love You" and "Thanksgiving". Oh my gosh, Thanksgiving! I haven't watched the last two episodes I admit because I figure I'd be bored.
Holy shit, did you change your username because of this show?!?

That's the point. POC can and should be able to have the same experiences as bland white guys. Not everything has to be highlighting their unique struggles with not being white. Not everything needs to be about race or ethnicity. The fact that he's a regular dude is THE EXACT REASON the show is as good as it is.

Actually a lot of issues I have with shows highlighting POC, and why I really enjoyed Master of None, Atlanta and Insecure, is that the characters weren't constantly talking about their race and the problems they face. I don't know if you're read any Chimamanda Adichie, but her novel Americanah annoyed me because all the minority characters literally only talked about white people and how much of a struggle it was. I know that type of discussion doesn't dominate anymore than mabye 5% of the conversations me and my friends have

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not reading impressions til I finished the entire season, but it's been amazing so far. I've watched 4, 5 and 6 yesterday and those were some of the best eps yet, all with a cool concept behind them: tinder ep with the seamless cuts, dinner party with that fantastic long shot in the cab and New York I love you as a whole.

What a great show, I hope it gets 5 more seasons.

phanphare

Banned
As the show progresses, you see that Pino doesn't really have any glaring flaws or red flags

they do kind of portray him as a self centered coke head, though I'm not sure if the coke head part is intentional. it also could be pino from dev's limited view of him because francesca does say he is a good person who doesn't deserve this at the end

Mossybrew

That's the point. POC can and should be able to have the same experiences as bland white guys. Not everything has to be highlighting their unique struggles with not being white. Not everything needs to be about race or ethnicity. The fact that he's a regular dude is THE EXACT REASON the show is as good as it is.

I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a really good point.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Thanksgiving episode was perfect. This season is probably the best tv I've watched this year.

Ep9 hit close to home. I guess
most of us in that situation don't get the ending to ep10
But then again, there may be more to that final shot now that I've read through the thread. Hmm..

quesalupa

First episode in particular was missing people of color.

LordOfChaos

Was the ending supposed to be vague if it's after everything, or during the same night of the sleepover?

And did what's her name actually go to his apartment after he was walking in the snow and had that dream?

Liked a lot of the season, the last two episodes dragged the whole thing a little too much imo.

Edit: Hmm, different shirts, no ring...

dev-fran-finale.jpg

Was the ending supposed to be vague if it's after everything, or during the same night of the sleepover?

And did what's her name actually go to his apartment after he was walking in the snow and had that dream?

Liked a lot of the season, the last two episodes dragged the whole thing a little too much imo.

Edit: Hmm, different shirts, no ring...

dev-fran-finale.jpg

I rewound to look for a ring too. It's definitely not the same night

Such a great show, one of the all time best with some astounding, amazing episode. I gotta find me a friend like Arnold

When did the show advertise itself as being true to life? Just because a show isn't about everything or about what you're looking for specifically doesn't mean it's a flaw. The show isn't ABOUT debt and poor spending habits, why would it include those? It's about Dev's romantic and interpersonal journeys. It's pretty honest about that, too.

It's like saying you don't like How I Met Your Mother because a character wasn't on a path to get his pilot's license. Like that's obviously a thing that happens but that's not the point

Thanksgiving was simply fantastic. Seeing black people filmed with amazing cinematography never gets old. Denise can be stilted in other scenes but she was great here.

sn00zer

Really love the show. Like how it swaps genres and how the sometimes poor acting can feel more authentic because those story seem more autobiographical. Just a neat show that feels like it isn't just about the story being told on script but about cathartically reliving experiencea from life.

This show has so many portrayals of people of color in a single show and it's honestly astonishing coming from an Asian dude. The Mindy Project got some love for having an asian lead but so much of the supporting cast was white people. This show has an episode with a black family dealing with homosexuality and the days in the life of three separate black new yorkers in one 10 episode season.

Finding that anywhere else on tv basically requires the show runner to be a black person. Aziz is really trying here. and he even made a point to show the intersectionality in being black and a woman.

Top Bottom