• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria debut trailer in high quality

salromano

Took some screens.

toz_001tau7k.jpg

toz_002gsuua.jpg

toz_0031fube.jpg

toz_004piusf.jpg

toz_0059kul4.jpg

jett

D-Member
Why do all these recent Tales games look like they were originally made for the PS2? I remember Vesperia looking pretty good.

Amir0x

Banned
Hm, I am so conflicted on this game. I can't quite describe it perfectly, but the world seems so... empty... bland... compared to a normal Tales game (yes, I know enemies and townspeople and such are not being shown in the footage, but that's not what I am referring to). That one field he is running down is seriously the lamest empty green field ever design wise, and the town they showed really did not have a captivating design at all.

I really like the concept, I just don't know so far about the execution. Early days, though, I'm sure there's going to be tons to see and hopefully lots less empty blandness, but the debut trailer wasn't the best imo.

Famassu

Why is it that new Tales games still don't look as good as Vesperia?
This seems like the more ambitious game, what's with being open-world (?) with no separate battlescreens and all. That takes a toll on what one can do with the visual side (somewhat excluding a game like GTAV with a 1000+ person dev team and 5 or so years in their hands).

Wynnebeck

Banned
I haven't played Xilia yet, but any change from the squared circle approach that permeated Graces, Symphonia, etc. is welcomed indeed.

Dark_castle

Hm, I am so conflicted on this game. I can't quite describe it perfectly, but the world seems so... empty... bland... compared to a normal Tales game (yes, I know enemies and townspeople and such are not being shown in the footage, but that's not what I am referring to). That one field he is running down is seriously the lamest empty green field ever design wise, and the town they showed really did not have a captivating design at all.

I really like the concept, I just don't know so far about the execution. Early days, though, I'm sure there's going to be tons to see and hopefully lots less empty blandness, but the debut trailer wasn't the best imo.

Especially after the lackluster field design and the ridiculous amount of same-y environment and port towns in Xillia, I don't know if going 'open world' really works for them.

But I'm glad Go Shiina is co-composing Zest alongside Sakuraba. Curious how they implement the seamless battle.

Amir0x

Banned
Especially after the lackluster field design and the ridiculous amount of same-y environment and port towns in Xillia, I don't know if going 'open world' really works for them.

But I'm glad Go Shiina is co-composing Zest alongside Sakuraba. Curious how they implement the seamless battle.

I didn't play Xillia yet, so I can't compare that at this point. I want open world, but I've played open world games with far more interesting world design than this. This seems sort of like a "my first open world" game, with the barest amount of care put into making it seem like a captivating world to actually explore.

Again though I want to emphasize that it is far too early for me to make a definitive judgment on that. I am just commenting on the trailer not being particularly effective for me for this reason, and I really tend to like Tales games. So I'm still watching and waiting to see more :D

I think the question in regards to the whole 'open-world' thing is what those large fields are supposed to represent.

Are they simply 'larger fields' of the more modern JRPGs ( large hub + dungeons ) or are they an evolution of the 'overworld map' approach of older-JRPGs?

It's somewhat forgivable if it's the latter, which means that the dynamic fields/dungeons remain, but they're placed in between a very very large open field similar to old full-world JRPGs, where you basically travel between boring spaces of land to travel from one town to the other.

But it's very bad if it's the former, because it sacrifices the usually more tightly designed hub areas for large spaces that likely won't be as well designed compared to smaller spaces.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
In-game cutscenes look Star Oceanish... In other words they look shit.

those protagonist designs look really bland.

Either ways regretting this isn't coming for PS4. I probably won't see a proper tales game for ps4 for 3-4 years. Gaikai plz.

Also I saw Ufotable mentioned. I love those guys.

lol I actually sorta feel bad for the main character. He didn't look nearly as cool as I thought he would from that cool little intro starting from the foot. As they went further up, I was like "Ahh fail!" lol.

That said, the PS3 is really delivering lately. It makes me really happy that I didn't end up trading in my ps3 for the $100 best buy gift card after beating last of us. Between this and Persona 5, but especially Persona 5, my PS3 will be getting a serious workout for quite some time yet. In fact, I wouldn't be a tiny bit surprised to see Persona 6 also on PS3.

Why is it that field looks kind of like Xenoblade but...seems so...odd?

Color scheme or something. Vesperia style where art thou.

Seriously, the main character was looking so badass from the waist down, and then it went further up to show the rest lol. Let's hope he gets an artistic reworking. Dude doesn't look anywhere quite as badass as Yuri did.

ED Cantu

After watching this in high quality I must say that it looks great, maybe it's just me but now I think the graphics look a bit better than Xillia's or at the very least they are more colorful imo.

Oh and of course knowing that Go Shiina will be involved in this game got me excited.

One thing I've never understood about the Tales games? Where the fuck do the names come from/mean?

Symphonia....why is it called that? Did I miss something?

I can easily see this becoming one the best Tales with one of the worst artstyles and character designs. Tales, something right and something wrong. Never get everything.

Rpgmonkey

This is why we can't have nice things

I can see why someone wouldn't be too impressed by the fields, especially if they've played other Tales games.

The series doesn't really have a good record (yet) of making captivating overworlds/fields of this style. So far they just kinda range from "bland and repetitive" to "tolerable but not really noteworthy". They're getting bigger, but they still haven't made that big step towards a diverse and creative yet organic world, that really tries to apply all the space so exploration is fun and rewarding.

I really hope this is the game that finally makes that big step, so while the current field isn't that impressive from a design standpoint (to me, at least), hopefully latter footage will give a closer representation of what they're trying to do.

M3z_

Really unfortunate to see that the Tales team does not seem to put in the effort to push the PS3's capabilities. For the style of art they use these games have to be able to look much prettier. I mean it's not ugly or offensive, just does not stand out from anything they have done in the past and the PS3 has been out for ages.

Rad-

The character designs look so boring and generic. Graphics also look pretty bad. But nice to see them finally do an open world game.

Soriku

lol Baba's been lying about Go Shiina's involvement in Tales then. He always said he was too busy. I mean unless they just recently contracted him or something. But anyway, good news.

I didn't play Xillia yet, so I can't compare that at this point. I want open world, but I've played open world games with far more interesting world design than this. This seems sort of like a "my first open world" game, with the barest amount of care put into making it seem like a captivating world to actually explore.

Again though I want to emphasize that it is far too early for me to make a definitive judgment on that. I am just commenting on the trailer not being particularly effective for me for this reason, and I really tend to like Tales games. So I'm still watching and waiting to see more :D

Tales team isn't really good with big worlds. They're trying to improve though. Graces was basically connected linear roads. Xillia had spacious fields but there's a lot of copy/paste going around, so overall the fields weren't that interesting. This game is going to be more spacious than the others, but we don't know how much asset reuse there's going to be or how they're going to fill up the fields or how the fields are generally designed. It'll probably be an improvement over Xillia, which by itself would be OK, but we'll have to see if it's anything...more.

At the moment the field they showed doesn't look too hot because of the draw distance.

There's grass close up and then it's just really plain far away so it looks weird. I think they should add more patches of grass though like Xenoblade:

As for your town complaint, I think Xillia has some of the best towns in the series, so I think Zestiria will be fine in that regard.

Top Bottom