• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

I loved the Destiny beta, I think it's great, gameplay wise it fuses FPS and MMORPG in a way that just about works and feels satisfying.

But when it comes to MMOs, WoW is your yardstick. Remember how much content there was on day 1 of vanilla?

There's no reason every MMO shouldn't be that expansive, "exploring a new world" is central to the genre. At the moment it sounds like Destiny is just a co-op FPS campaign with a social hub for people to complete tasks normally done in a menu.

Mastamind

limited gear ( only Common and Uncommon ) and not much use yet for some of the stuff you get due to the level cap

I actually got a lvl 10 blue drop earlier/yesterday. It had two unlock abilities instead of one. I think it was reload speed for pistols and sniper rifles.

SparkTR

You had a crazy expectation bro, there was like no way that was happening.

Sure, I wasn't expecting that for Destiny, but back when Mass Effect released I was younger and legitimately disappointed with the final product. I'm older and a tad more jaded with this industry now, so I doubt I'll be putting down money at this point.

Vidpixel

Hmm, as much as I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, I kind of figured this would happen. If this is indeed true, then I'm really hoping that the areas end up being massive, especially given all the blocked-off zones in the beta.

jett

D-Member
It has been pretty clear that there was only going to be 1 area per planet in the Alpha and Beta, and if you thought that there would be more, you've been fooling yourself. Yes, there has been concept art of more, but nothing was ever 100% confirmed in the game and we never saw any game footage beyond Venus, Mars, Moon, Earth, Tower, Reef and Mercury ( which is still in the game as an arena for the 'Crucible elite' with exclusive rewards ).

Also, you gotta love how some people make assumptions on how the final game will play based on a level-capped Beta with areas we can't properly explore because they are guarded by Lv.?? enemies ( Grottos ), at least three fully blocked off areas ( Seraphim Vault, Jovian Complex, King's Vault ), limited gear ( only Common and Uncommon ) and not much use yet for some of the stuff you get due to the level cap ( Materials / Crucible / Vanguard Marks ).

There are legitimate criticisms and concerns, yes, but this jumping to conclusions and making assumptions needs to stop. People are talking like the relative lack of things to do in the Beta ( *cough* Level cap *cough* ) somehow will be this massive problem in the full game, but they forget that in the full game, you don't stop at level 8. The stuff we had available to us after hitting the cap in the Beta is not representative of the final game, because in the final game, the endgame doesn't start at level 8, it starts at level 20. The lack of stuff to do when you're capped at 8 in a Beta doesn't say anything about the actual lv.20 endgame in the final game.

But no, 'the gameplay is so shallow' and there is 'no incentive to explore' and 'there's so little content' and 'there's nothing to do', etc.

Whatever...

Yep.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I actually got a lvl 10 blue drop earlier/yesterday. It had two unlock abilities instead of one. I think it was reload speed for pistols and sniper rifles.
Oh, I know; I even got Legendaries here, but you can't use them and are thus limited to Common and Uncommon.

Before the alpha/beta: The game was going to have alot of content.

After the alpha/beta which had positive responses from consumers: Trimmed the content and made it into a story DLC, because, Activision.

David___

Banned
I want to know how many Strike missions there will be in the game on day one. You can have a small number of areas but fill them with enough content.

If it's just one per planet then that'd be a real concern.

But this isn't an MMO. It's just co-op and PVP. :p

We know of 5 atm. One on Earth, one on Moon, 2 on Venus, and the PS exclusive one.
Probably looking at a total of 6-7 on PS and 5-6 on Xbox

What is everyone problem?

Are you not bored of earth yet?

If you want to go explore earth so badly here is a tip:

Open your real life door and step outside and go explore it!!!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Considering how content starved titanfall and the 1 billion dollar a year making MMO WoW is, it's too easy for Activision to get them to hold back content for the expansion DLC model.

Beefier expansions rather than map and story dlc is what I wanted for the longevity of this game, but, sigh at the base.

AGoodODST

This thread is hilarious.

Anyway, not bothered by this at all. It's been pretty much known for weeks now. The game is still a decent size and it's not like every mission in Russia was in the beta. The Raid was missing for a start.

Although everything appeared contrary, I was still hoping for more than one zone. Still, I've only really used the story as a means to level up my gear for Iron Banner PvP with quests/bounties. So as long as they don't skimp on the competitive multiplayer piece I'm happy.

Destiny might not be MMORPG in scope, but it's well beyond a 5hr SP campaign. Then I'll also be multiplying the time spent x3 for each class. Depending on when it's released I'm wondering how many people will stick around for the 1st expansion. Mixed consensus in comments online.

Considering how content starved titanfall and the 1 billion dollar a year making MMO WoW is, it's too easy for Activision to get them to hold back content for the expansion DLC model.

I'm no expert as my knowledge is based off of what I've seen my wife play over the years, but WoW has a metric shit ton of varied and different content. Titanfall, I agree with though.

David___

Banned
This thread is hilarious.

Anyway, not bothered by this at all. It's been pretty much known for weeks now. The game is still a decent size and it's not like every mission in Russia was in the beta. The Raid was missing for a start.

That's because the raid is on Venus.

Edit: Still not a 100% whether or not there is only one raid in the game.

viveks86

I'd reached "acceptance" on this subject a long time ago. Now we all can have closure and look forward to the portions of the map we haven't seen yet

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm no expert as my knowledge is based off of what I've seen my wife play over the years, but WoW has a metric shit ton of varied and different content. Titanfall, I agree with though.

I think his point is that you have to pay a monthly fee for WoW, you don't have to for destiny so they have less incentive to flesh out the single release that you can pay for as long as the games up.

funkypie

Banned
If they are saving areas already for DlC then the game is a joke and half arsed. For your 60 dollars you should get adequate content with dlc as an after thought.

I think Bungie crafted each planet meticulously and it shows with the details within each area. For a new IP that's cross-gen, it's a good start for what's being offered. 5 explorable planets/locations + strikes + raids + PVP stuff and it's a complete package IMO.

If Activision think they can milk Destiny like they did WoW they should probably remember that WoW launch with what sounds like the equivalent of about 20 planets in Destiny, ~20 dungeons/strikes and 3-4 end game raids that quickly became 5, 6, 7+ with FREE patches.

The modularity of Destiny is gives the dev and publisher the perfect vehicle to add more content in the future. A few PVP maps here, some new missions in existing maps there. Maybe some new story maps. And like in any self respecting MMO there will be increased level caps and the accompanying attributes to pull people further in. The whole architecture of the game is built around the ability to expand. Just be ready to pay for it.

Thoraxes

Considering Destiny isn't an MMO, this is fine. The campaign seems like it'll end up at a normal length, and then will have lots of farming for PvP stuff and endgame items.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Activision think they can milk Destiny like they did WoW they should probably remember that WoW launch with what sounds like the equivalent of about 20 planets in Destiny, ~20 dungeons/strikes and 3-4 end game raids that quickly became 5, 6, 7+ with FREE patches.

Bro those patches weren't free why the hell do you think you were paying that monthly fee?

Rodelero

I was hoping that this wasn't the case but it was fairly blatantly the case when you looked at the evidence. Despite that, I'm not deterred from buying the game. I might consider downgrading from limited to a normal edition.

I think people's expectations for content amount are pretty crazy, and I think it's fairly obvious that when you combine the story content, the strikes, the raid, and the PvP, Destiny is likely to be a bigger game than the vast majority of shooters. I want it to be as large as possible, but you have to be realistic. It's a $60 game, not a $15/mo MMO. What I would say is that now is the time for Bungie to clarify exactly how much content is in the game.

At a low end guess, 35 story missions, 5 strikes, 1 raid, 8-10 PvP maps... is that really so low for a $60 game?

JonCha

Great. Old Russia Old Russia Old Russia Old Russia Old Russia Old Russia. So much wasted potential.

My feeling as well ...

Me buying this game will really depend on how much content there is at launch. Otherwise I'll just wait for the DLC to come out and then buy it judging by how quickly I went through Old Russia in the beta. And that was on Hard.

The modularity of Destiny is gives the dev and publisher the perfect vehicle to add more content in the future. A few PVP maps here, some new missions in existing maps there. Maybe some new story maps. And like in any self respecting MMO there will be increased level caps and the accompanying attributes to pull people further in. The whole architecture of the game is built around the ability to expand. Just be ready to pay for it.

Considering Destiny isn't an MMO, this is fine. The campaign seems like it'll end up at a normal length, and then will have lots of farming for PvP stuff and endgame items.

Agreed with all of these.

Even without the optional stuff, if you really get into the PVE farming aspect and then the PVP - you can easily rack up over 100 hours.

DieH@rd

Banned
One area per planet is what I already expected.

Here is the full map of Venus:
destinyd9py9.jpg

7 campaign missions
2 strikes
1 raid
Free roam

If they repeat this on all other places [Earth, Moon, Mars], we will have a lot of content on our hands. And who knows what will be on Reef [probably some end-game stuff].

More than enough content IMO.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, that was naive of me. Free DLC is probably never going to happen with Acti publishing and funding the game.

Let's hope it's at least not overpriced for whatever it does eventually offer. I think £3-5 for a brand new location with a number of missions and some new loot is pretty fair.

From the company that pioneered the $15 map pack? no chance.

geordiemp

My feeling as well ...

Me buying this game will really depend on how much content their is at launch. Otherwise I'll just wait for the DLC to come out and then buy it judging by how quickly I went through Old Russia in the beta. And that was on Hard.

Yep, I need reviews now as after playing old Russia to death and some moon it means Ive seen almost 25 % of the game already.

Seems like activision wants to sell us DLC maps every 2 months.

Pre-order cancelled until I see more - 1 map per plant is allot of re-treading old ground.

Top Bottom