• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

"Couple questions - Does Obs + NVEnc offer similar quality/performance/file size levels to Shadow Play? Does it capture variable framerate like shadowplay?"

Similar, yes, but if all you need are quick video caps and aren't running into any issues with Shadowplay itself, there's no reason to use OBS. Unsure about the variable framerate, but if you already have an Nvidia GPU that supports Shadowplay, there's no reason not to try it out yourself since OBS is free.

Seanspeed

Banned
Shadowplay only records and streams video of games or your desktop. Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't have a screenshot feature.
Yea, that would be a really great feature to have next. I don't like having to have FRAPS running with non-Steam games to grab shots. Seems you cant capture shots without having the framerate counter up, either.

Instead of being slaved to Shadowplay and forced to use Fullscreen and the limited Shadowplay options, use OBS with the NvEnc encoder (Basically, Shadowplay in a different program). That way you can capture games that are borderless windowed/windowed and you have far more control over recording/streaming options.
The desktop recording thing did work ok, but this sounds like it might be a better alternative. I'll check it out. Thanks a bunch. :)

I must say shadowplay is a really great feature and along DSR (even though i downsampled before)I dont think I could leave nvidia, AMD really need to step up their drivers.

Being able to record on the fly is fantastic even though I just use it for when the odd funny/strange thing happens. DSR is great because I can finally down sample on my 1080p TV.

Seanspeed

Banned
So OBS is a no go unfortunately. Seems to crash Assetto Corsa every time I hit record. Also insists on installing on my C: drive(a small SSD) and storing videos there and I seem to have no option to change that. I'll keep it installed just in case I run into an issue with ShadowPlay with something. For now, the desktop capture works well enough.

Derp

Guys guys guys, i have a problem with Shadowplay.

Shadowplay isn't turning on automatically when i restart my PC. I have to turn it on manually. So far i have found NO ONE with this problem, so i'm not sure what the problem is.

No idea what's causing this to happen. Anyone got any ideas?

Melon Husk

Make sure the software runs with admin priviledges and/or is installed with admin priviledges. That's all I got *shrug*.

For anyone who is using the Desktop Capture feature, does it make your GPU use the max clock speeds when idling? Hopefully it's not just me.

Desktop Capture on:
FOnEvO3.jpg

Desktop Capture off:
iXZejqB.jpg

I have been wondering for ages why my GPU was nearly always in the P0 power-state and it turns out that Shadowplay is the culprit.

Setsuna

For anyone who is using the Desktop Capture feature, does it make your GPU use the max clock speeds when idling? Hopefully it's not just me.

I have been wondering for ages why my GPU was nearly always in the P0 power-state and it turns out that Shadowplay is the culprit.

Happens to me as well.

Whats up with shadowplay and youtube?

I uploaded a video and while the video itself i took was clear the 1080p youtube video looks kinda blocky and not as good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hmm. That is really bad, you're right. Maybe since it's only 1080p30 they aren't allocating enough bitrate to it. Try a short clip at 60fps and see if there's a difference when you upload it.
60fps is just as bad.

Youtube will always degrade the quality of your video a fair bit, but I think I've noticed that since the change to support 60fps, their bitrates for 720p and 1080p videos especially have gone down further.

Just upgraded to a Shadowplay-compatible card. Any guides out there that tell you how to set everything optimally for your system, especially if my major goal is just to upload videos to YouTube? Is it better to set the save location to my HDD or my SSD in terms of wear-and-tear on my system?

Schrade

I really wish nVIDIA would have some different encoding settings in ShadowPlay.

This post on the forums has a bunch of requests that I wish we had settings for:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777657/color-standards-and-chroma-subsampling/
Valind on the GeForce Forums said:
Currently shadowplay encodes video in BT.601 (SD) format when it should probably be using BT.709 (HDTV), is there any chance of this being fixed ?

It would also be nice if advanced users could encode with "full range" luma ( 0-255 ) and not the limited 16-235 for manual recording.

Bonus wishlist item : Allow 4:4:4 chroma ! We know at least some of the cards support it, so it would be wonderful to have high quality recordings without the color loss due to 4:2:0.

Andy, could you escalate this faster? Please? :)

Levyne

Banned
Sorry for the huge bump, but recently, after GeForce Experience update from yesterday or the day before, NVidia Capture Server seems to have a memory leak or something, it sometimes balloons to 10gb of ram used. Never had this probably before.

Sorry for the huge bump, but recently, after GeForce Experience update from yesterday or the day before, NVidia Capture Server seems to have a memory leak or something, it sometimes balloons to 10gb of ram used. Never had this probably before.

Huh, that could be why last night Shadowplay kept causing Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming to stop. I could capture video while streaming from my Xbox One to Win 10 until the recent GeForce Experience Update.

I wish there was an option to toggle the Status Indicator on/off while in a game. I want it on to make sure it's working, but don't want it on the screen the entire time.

I can't get Marlow Briggs to record via Shadowplay, even though it is set to fullscreen. I tried Desktop capture with it but then the audio is out of sync. I guess using OBS with NVENC will be my best option for 1080p 60 FPS with no noticeable issues during the game or in the video afterward.

Justinh

What's a recommended app to trim clips recorded with ShadowPlay before uploading to Youtube or wherever?

Can't you trim with Youtube's uploader? I'm not that familiar with uploading youtube videos but I think I remember that being an option.

The one time I uploaded a video, though, I used Premeire elements. Does Windows Movie Maker still exist?

Levyne

Banned
Movie Maker does still exist but it doesn't seem to like the Raw video files that Shadowplay produces, at least for me. I can import the mp4s just fine but nothing previews/plays making them impossible to trim.

I've used VSDC since it's free and it works /okay/ but there is a bit of a learning curve to using it.

Edit: I still haven't tried using Shadowplay since the initial memory leak issues about a month ago. I'll have to see if any new GE updates or windows 10 somehow fixed that problem.

54-46!

What kind of method do you guys use for recording mic input separately?

I used Dxtory previously (when I had an AMD card) and liked that you could have multiple channels for audio.

What kind of method do you guys use for recording mic input separately?

I used Dxtory previously (when I had an AMD card) and liked that you could have multiple channels for audio.

I use Audacity. The mic recording quality of Shadowplay really is just awful.

Tried to use this for the first time today.

Screen went completely black and I had to restart the PC. When I did the resolution was atrocious and it appeared that my GPU had been disabled under device mananger.

Any experience with this issue? I had a search and some people are saying you need to force the audio off through registry for 5.1 systems. I don't have 5.1 so I did not think this would be causing the problem.

Plus then I'd have video without sound.

lazygecko

For some reason Shadowplay's audio recording doesn't have any filtering/interpolation. I noticed this when recording games where some sounds were lower than 44.1khz. Typically stuff like muted ambient bass rumbles and such can be as low as 11khz. Then when you listen to the recorded video it sounds alias-crunched to hell.

Pretty surprising seeing as filtering has been a standard feature since... practically forever.

For some reason Shadowplay's audio recording doesn't have any filtering/interpolation. I noticed this when recording games where some sounds were lower than 44.1khz. Typically stuff like muted ambient bass rumbles and such can be as low as 11khz. Then when you listen to the recorded video it sounds alias-crunched to hell.

Pretty surprising seeing as filtering has been a standard feature since... practically forever.

Audio is one area where GFE and Shadowplay is really lacking.

GeForce Experience Beta Adds In-Game Screenshot Capture, Edit & 4K Upload

I cannot believe it took them so long to implement a screenshot feature.

Nice, I am installing it now, ridiculous that screenshot capture was beyond video recording in priority or whatever.

The beta Geforce Experience shadowplay is now "Share" and there doesn't seem to be any option to change screenshot format (png/jpg/bmp/ etc). In game you can hit Alt-Z to load up the "share" overlay which is for recording or taking SS etc.

kR5bEtZ.jpg

RKY9wCZ.jpg

Unai

Guys, I'm having massive frame rate problems for a while now with shadowplay enabled. If I open a very light game, let's say Blackguards, it will run at 144 FPS with the shadow mode disabled but it will go to 30 FPS as soon as I enabled it. It's not just that game, but anyone I tried.

I've already tried:
- Close RTTS to make sure it's not conflicting;
- Disabled my second monitor;
- Changed my display from 144 to 120.
- Changed the hard drive of the temp file.

I'm in the latest drive, but this is happening for quite a few months already. I wanted to record Dark Souls 3 later today if I can solve this problem.

My specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, i7 2700k, GTX 970, 16GB system ram.

Any ideas?

Guys, I'm having massive frame rate problems for a while now with shadowplay enabled. If I open a very light game, let's say Blackguards, it will run at 144 FPS with the shadow mode disabled but it will go to 30 FPS as soon as I enabled it. It's not just that game, but anyone I tried.

I've already tried:
- Close RTTS to make sure it's not conflicting;
- Disabled my second monitor;
- Changed my display from 144 to 120.
- Changed the hard drive of the temp file.

I'm in the latest drive, but this is happening for quite a few months already. I wanted to record Dark Souls 3 later today if I can solve this problem.

My specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, i7 2700k, GTX 970, 16GB system ram.

Any ideas?

Do you have another hard drive connected that you can change the shadowplay temp folder to? Perhaps it is having a write speed issue on the one you are using.

Levyne

Banned
Quick question with the new share interface. I no longer see an option to switch between desktop capture and the standard capture. It seems to always be desktop capture now. This is find for most things that I need but I'm curious if that's really how it is or if I am missing something.

Top Bottom