• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League apparently stinks, because of course

Angelcurio

I watched it today and really enjoyed it. The internate hate is completely overstated. It’s a fun movie that only seems terrible when compared to marvel movies. On its own it’s a solid effort that gives me hope for the future of DC.
Just saw the movie a couple of hours ago, and i agree with you. It is a really fun movie, that doesn’t takes itself seriously, unlike Batman vs Superman. It can't be compared with Marvel movies, but it is at least decent.

shira

I watched it today and really enjoyed it. The internate hate is completely overstated. It’s a fun movie that only seems terrible when compared to marvel movies. On its own it’s a solid effort that gives me hope for the future of DC.
For my time and money and shit you have to put up with at a public theater I want to see a great movie.

Fun movies I can watch on my phone.

gatti-man

For my time and money and shit you have to put up with at a public theater I want to see a great movie.

Fun movies I can watch on my phone.

Watching justice league on your phone would be probably the worst decision you can make. And if theater experience is that bad for you find a better theater. I never ever have bad experiences at theaters and I go to three different ones depending where I’m at.

Movie is worth seeing for the Superman fight alone.

TimFL

I lost all possible hype for the DCEU when the first JL trailer hit as a glorified comedy movie trailer. I wanted a serious/dark DCEU and not a „shit lets copy the Marvel kids tone with quips at every corner!!!“ tone.

Andyliini

This. That was the best part of the film. Elfman's score was also great, and fit that scene perfectly. I'm getting the OST, but only when it releases on vinyl in February.

Edit: Shouldn't all this be in the OT?

Dabanton

The movie was fine. Some of the CG was dodgy, but overall this was a pretty fun movie.

Should have been longer but after BvS mammoth running time I can see why they pulled back.

I know people speak of a DCEU conspiracy but it's not even that silly, critics just do not like Zack Synder movies and so review all his movies with that in mind.

Bleepey

The movie was fine. Some of the CG was dodgy, but overall this was a pretty fun movie.

Should have been longer but after BvS mammoth running time I can see why they pulled back.

I know people speak of a DCEU conspiracy but it's not even that silly, critics just do not like Zack Synder movies and so review all his movies with that in mind.

Didn't you work on the movie? I agree with you that critics hate Zack Snyder. Look at the BS complaint about the amazons being objectified. If i wasn't told it was a thing I'd barely have noticed. The shirtless Aquaman and Cavil scenes however were a lot.

I forgot how much I liked the incorporation of the Elfman Batman theme.

Zyzyxxz

I really do not understand why people hate the DC movies but love the Marvel movies. They're all crap.

Agreed, I don't understand the expected hate for all these DC universe movies? It's like people want them to be bad so they can shit on them.

Yet the Marvel movies don't seem all that much better to me overall they follow similar movie tropes and often they border on fan-service for me (as someone who doesn't read comics) from my point of view IMO.

I will agree that CGI was pretty terrible though.

Zack Snyder needs to move away from DC movies, as he's completely shitting on the franchise.

You look at his resume and all of his previous movies are saved by the original source material in contrast to his artistic vision.

Some might watch it and have an informed opinion before commenting. I just came back from watching it. I found it perfectly enjoyable. You could tell that a lot was cut. There were a lot of cheesy moments to appease fanboys who complain about Snyder's serious tone and whilst there were some scenes that clearly were reshot to add levity or help trim the movie. I found it pretty good. I might say it was my favourite comic book movie of the year considering it was the only one i didn't nap off whilst watching. I wouldn't mind a Snyder cut but it doesn't feel as broken as the BVS theatrical cut. The "controversy" about male gaze with the Amazons was utter bullshit, the men were way more objectified than the women if honest and the only time they showed of the Amazonians physique was to show how strong they were. I was more impressed with their muscles than abs

Favourite parts:

Lois being described as the thirstiest woman he ever met
Aquaman having the lasso of truth around him and talking about how much he wants to bone Wonder Woman. IN this current climate it seems kinda risque but i think it works
The second post credit sequence was awesome/

When people want to like something they find ways to end up liking it. It's the critics who are paid to inform the public about something so they can make a better decision whether or not to spend their money. Movies aren't rocket science, when critics pan something there's a good reason for it. That's not to say they collectively 'miss' from time to time, that's bound to happen, but I highly doubt Justice League is one of those times.

Carlius

Banned
it wasnt as bad as superman vs batman, but it wasnt good either. superman got the right amount of time in, not too much not too little. steppenwolf was retarded. flash was the best part of the movie.

but yeah, a D average sounds about right.

Bleepey

When people want to like something they find ways to end up liking it. It's the critics who are paid to inform the public about something so they can make a better decision whether or not to spend their money. Movies aren't rocket science, when critics pan something there's a good reason for it. That's not to say they collectively 'miss' from time to time, that's bound to happen, but I highly doubt Justice League is one of those times.

You don't have to watch it, it's your money. However you didn't watch it and if honest you can't really comment outside of it looks good/bad/not your thing. It's like bitching about video games you haven't played cos they gave a score you disagree with.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I finished watching it and honestly I don't get the gripe on the film. At worst it's harmless, at best it's pretty good. I think the problem honestly is the early half of the film which feels a bit disconnected and slow.

Also has some of the best character interactions, no one feels left out, it forms a cohesive narrative from point A to point B, and there wasn't any dumb technobabble. Flash was the best character though.

Hell, I'd argue it's better than the first Avengers film in a sense that they did some character development and plot in the crossover film rather than how they leave that to the solo movies and make Avengers just some pointless action flick (unlike say, Civil War which has both).

Monocle

Waiting on after credits now, worst part was Superman’s cg face.
Best part was that bod. So it kind of evens out if you ask me.

Critics are full of shit.
I just watched it and had a blast!!!
No they aren't. It's a really flawed movie. Thin on plot and disjointed in tone, with a super lame bad guy. The action was OK but nothing special. It's an average movie at best. It suffers from the lack of good characterization that all recent DC movies do, except WW. When you've got Marvel churning out the likes of Thor 3, I expect better.

gatti-man

I lost all possible hype for the DCEU when the first JL trailer hit as a glorified comedy movie trailer. I wanted a serious/dark DCEU and not a „shit lets copy the Marvel kids tone with quips at every corner!!!” tone.

It's not a marvel copy AT ALL. This is the kind of stuff that really bothers me. People are giving opinions on stuff they haven't even seen. This still felt darker than anything marvel has done but it's not as grimdark as BvS thankfully.

I just love the hand waiving going on in this thread. Dog piling certainly is a thing among reviewers. WW was wayyy over rated and JL you could feel was going to be dogpiled because of batfleck and it's dark tone. I've seen plenty of bad movies and JLs quality doesn't reflect a 37% RT score it's as simple as that. And I hated BvS and Suicide Squad. I'd expect a RT score of 65-75% honestly. It's a really hard movie to not have a good time watching unless you have some agenda you're trying to push. Examples of said agenda are those BS cyborg clips floating around. The CGI has a few rough moments but as a whole it's not bad.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Best part was that bod. So it kind of evens out if you ask me.

No they aren't. It's a really flawed movie. Thin on plot and disjointed in tone, with a super lame bad guy. The action was OK but nothing special. It's an average movie at best. It suffers from the lack of good characterization that all recent DC movies do, except WW. When you've got Marvel churning out the likes of Thor 3, I expect better.

I dont know why your quoting me when you clearly disagree.

And judging by a lot of positive opinions in this thread,I aint the only one who thinks its a good movie.

gatti-man

JQvKVfx.gif

Wow, just wow.

This is not how it looks in theaters. Not even close. I saw this in 70mm so any bad CGI was obvious (like Superman's lip)

watched it last night and find the movie very enjoyable. Steppenwolf as the main villian still doesn't sit well with me, especially with the whole CG thing. Flash being too much of an ADHD teenager is also kinda meh. but over all they did pretty good with compressing all those storylines into one single movie. and the fun moments are pretty good too
"he once told me you're the thirsties woman on Earth." lol
feel they can do the action a little better in some ways but oh well. only a small glimpse of the
Lanterns
and just one sentence in mentioning
Darkseid
kinda sucks, but I guess they want to build up to those, especially with
The Injustice League
seemingly being their main focus for the next couple movies.

trikster40

Wow reviews were really off on this one. Just got done watching it, I’d put it up there in top 3 (maybe 5) comic book movies. Yes, there were times where the upper lip looked a bit off on supes, but if I wasn’t aware of moustache-Gate, I wouldn’t have known.

Really, really enjoyed it! Perfect cast, good story, good scenes, Good humor. I really don’t have any negatives aside from some effects that did look a bit off.

Edit: and for that horrible gif of cyborg, that does not represent what it looks like. His CGI was really good, that gif is missing some serious frames.

Boss Mog

I liked it. I liked Batman vs Superman too. Haven't seen Wonder Woman yet though I'll check it out soon. Honestly I like the DC stuff better than the Marvel. The plots in DC are pretty straight forward, easy to follow and make sense unlike a lot of convoluted Marvel plots, plus they don't do stupid jokes every 30 seconds like Marvel does.

I admit I'm not a huge comic book fan so some of the stuff goes over my head but I don't know I just seem to click more with the DC stuff.

DJwest

Watched it yesterday. I disagree with the critics, I had a lot of fun. Slow and disjointed first act (thanks to the character introductions) but the next two thirds are awesome. I really liked the movie as a whole. I hope the DCEU survives, I want more Justice League.

onipex

I agree with the people saying that this was a fun watch. I had a smile on my face during the whole movie. It seemed too short but still enjoyable.

Saturnman

Banned
Seen it, liked it, but didn't love it.

Characters mostly work and would like to see them again. The movie doesn't drag on, in fact it goes a bit too fast sometimes. The whole thing feels sloppy, like BvS. Like the Avengers, I find the movie suffers from an underwhelming villain and countless minions our heroes plow through. I also prefer the darker tone from past DCEU movies.

I was really surprised the rivalry between the Flash and Superman was explored. Three times no less.

The secret ending came out of nowhere. I don't know how I didn't see it coming, but bodes well for future DCEU movies. It might even fix that flaw I don't like from Avengers movies.

So for me SS<JL<WW<BvS<MoS

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/11/17/kapow-china-clobbers-justice-leagues-1-billion-global-hopes-with-modest-16m-opening-day/

As of late evening Beijing time on Friday, Justice League had closed in on a $16 million opening day box office total, excluding Thursday previews and midnight screening collections. Assuming the picture stays on its current trajectory, it will finish its debut weekend with around $50 million. If it then follows that with a 2.1x lifetime multiple on its first weekend—an optimistic projection, to be sure—it will finish with a $105 million PRC total, exactly what Ant-Man collected all by his tiny little self last year.

That’s the optimistic case.

Ouch

Dynomutt

I don't care if I'm the only person who saw it. I enjoyed JL thoroughly. Fuck a critic and fuck a blog movie was great.
Can't wait to see what DCU has in store. They dynamic between the team was surprisingly good and humorous.

It was fun light hearted. People judged this based on say so but who cares. Fuck you Internet I got mines.

*I will say I wish it was a tad bit longer or they split it into two. Anyways can't wait.

Crazyorloco

I actually enjoyed the movie. Not as good as Wonder Woman, but it’s a decent film. 7.5 or 8 out of 10 for me. When Superman’s theme music came in... I felt it. And that felt great. The humor was not bad either, the flash has a good personality.

Also the cyborg CGI was fine. I can even say it looked great in some scenes.

Rooster12

The first 10 minutes of this movie was better than anything in BvS and Suicide Squad.

Superman was great. Cavill no longer had that mean mug on his face the whole time.

Yeah, I think reviewers were being kind of ridiculous. The movie is not flawless, but it's as good as any of these superhero movies. It's as least as good as Wonder Woman.

I'd also say it's as good as either of the Avengers movies, although I should note that despite seeing literally every Marvel movie I have never really cared for almost any of them; Thor Ragnarok tops my MCU list.

If I weren't aware of the reshoots and all of the behind-the-scenes stuff, I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss. The huge amount of green screen does stick out, and the VFX do feel a bit cartoony, but even then -- it just feels like your typical Hollywood action movie.

I think the DC movies have done a great job of casting, and I think they've found a good balance. Hopefully it continues, regardless of Rotten Tomatoes.

TimFL

It’s not a marvel copy AT ALL. This is the kind of stuff that really bothers me. People are giving opinions on stuff they haven’t even seen. This still felt darker than anything marvel has done but it’s not as grimdark as BvS thankfully.

Their trailer with all the quips and jokes killed it for me. It's not my fault WB can't market their movies properly. I want the grimdark DC universe, no fun allowed. Not going to see this in cinemas, will wait for the extended cut and a discount code on amazon instant video (they usually offer 1 free rental from time to time) and then pray I don't fall asleep like I did during BvS in cinema.

Honestly it was fine. The bright spot is that there was solid characterization for like the first time ever in this franchise. I’m sure BvS and JL did incalculable damage to the brand but with the directors lined up for future installments, I’m confident in their ability to finally produce good stuff on a consistent basis. Hope WB can get some audience goodwill back.

shira

Watching justice league on your phone would be probably the worst decision you can make. And if theater experience is that bad for you find a better theater. I never ever have bad experiences at theaters and I go to three different ones depending where I’m at.

It's not the theatre it's the dumbasses that go to the theatre.

I didn't mean justice league specifically, but nah. I can rent that for a few bucks.

Laserdisk

That is another evidence that critics rather go for politics instead of enjoyment. They have no actual sense for what people love to watch and for a normal customer they are pretty useless.
Nope it's 10000% proof that different people want different things from movies, and like different things in movies.
Also 300 critic's is a smaller sample vs the millions that are seeing it.
I still say if you want to see it, go for it and make your own mind up.

PreFire

I liked it better than I did the new Thor, which is a comedy.

The main thing I didn’t like about JL was basically the crappy CGI. The CGI wouldn’t wow people in the 1970s, let alone now. Crappenwolf looked so horrible and don’t get me started on Cyborg.

But CGI aside, I liked the film. A certain character was brought back
earlier than I expected
and Wonder Woman is a bad ass. Barry had me cracking up. He starts running east and says “I hope this is East” — hilarious.

Thank goodness idc what vanity or any movie reviewer says. If I want to waste my money, I will. Opinions opinions

PSlayer

Another problem i have with this movie is how they treat Superman death as the death of "your friendly neighbor Spideman!" which is not how the previous films set him up to be.

There is a montage where everybody in metropolis is hopeless like "our hero is dead! who is gonna stop the bank robbers,drug dealers,etc..." but he was never that guy. He fucking destroyed the city in the first movie.

shira

Another problem i have with this movie is how they treat Superman death as the death of "your friendly neighbor Spideman!" which is not how the previous films set him up to be.

There is a montage where everybody in metropolis is hopeless like "our hero is dead! who is gonna stop the bank robbers,drug dealers,etc..." but he was never that guy. He fucking destroyed the city in the first movie.
He's basically
Jesus

Top Bottom