• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roku increases market share among streaming media players

Swig_

I have two sticks and a new Roku (not sure of the model). They're pretty good, but the sticks have slowed way down to the point that they're unusable. I've had them since they released the sticks.

If they worked well still, I'd be happy, but I'm pretty nervous to buy another Roku if they're going to do this to me after a couple of years.

Redd

I love my roku 3. Almost went with chromecast but I didn't want to use a phone as a remote. No complaints and see no reason to upgrade until I get a 4k tv.

Maybe too popular. Just wish there was an option to control/limit casting options.

Anyone with roommates or parents who started getting in on this would know I guess? The cast to option is fucking great where you can lay in bed and cast something like a youtube video to your tv from your phone but the problem is the list has all other devices (chromecasts, TVs) listed and a mistouch will put what you wanted to see on their device lol.

So why are all these companies treating their Roku apps like ugly red-headed step children? Update that shit! Looking at you PS Vue.

The Roku API suck massive balls. It is overly complicated and difficult to do really custom shit on it. I set up a very simple private channel was left head scratching through most of it. Implementing your own UI is hard af in the Roku API too, that's why most channels all look like ass with Roku's default skin and the really nice looking ones like the filmstruck app are buggy as hell. I don;t know why Roku doesn;t upgrade their default skin to something more pleasant.

Love the Roku when it works, but the faulty hardware and buggy firmware have frustrated me into looking into other options. I went through two Roku 4's (faulty hardware) & now have a Ultra (buggy firmware). Unable to take advantage of 4K streaming due to buggy firmware.

Bizarre to me that Chromecast is so low on the totem poll. Wonder why.
A Chromecast requires another device is why and it's less user friendly. I like using the Chromecast to push content up to the screen to site someone else but as a daily usage, it's a chore even for me to use which means it would be too complicated for my kids to use since they don't even have devices. I'll take a dedicated box any day.

It's great but extremely expensive. It's not worth to buy one just for media streaming, you'll want to make use of the PC game streaming as well (Nvidia GPU required).

Nah, it's worth it for just media streaming. It does things no other box does like proper 24p playback and lossless audio formats. After buying one, I bought a second one because it was so good and I don't use either for gaming purposes.

Top Bottom