• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Line of Duty is fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathian

Banned
Just watched the series 3 fianle. Never has one piece of music made me so excited in a trailer to watch the new series and fucking wow at the finale.

So that's what a three series arc done right feels like.

Timbuktu

Good to see someone made a thread for this. Series from the Beeb come and goes so fast I'm sure out American cousins on neogaf can ever catch on. It's better than True Detective I'd say, best cop show since... the Wire perhaps, but more tense as a thriller. I guess you might compare it to State of Play, which Hollywood remade and some here might be more familiar with.

I do love these 5-6 episodes UK series, when done right they make use of the short form and have no filler whatsoever. Probably some of my favourite shows in 2015-16 shows like Line of Duty.

Kathian

Banned
Good to see someone made a thread for this. Series from the Beeb come and goes so fast I'm sure out American cousins on neogaf can ever catch on. It's better than True Detective I'd say, best cop show since... the Wire perhaps, but more tense as a thriller. I guess you might compare it to State of Play, which Hollywood remade and some here might be more familiar with.

I do love these 5-6 episodes UK series, when done right they make use of the short form and have no filler whatsoever. Probably some of my favourite shows in 2015-16 shows like Line of Duty.

I wouldn't say it's some perfect series but they get the tone and timing on the twists so well. It's we written and they all know the weak plot points. The cast are the real sale and it's overall just brilliantly done.

The writer should win an award for naming characters. Everyone of them we know instantly in what can sometimes please complex conversations about a did b at c when d was at z with v.

I loved the finale until about the last 20 minutes or so, the second from Dot sending that text. Horrible, Hollywood-esque nonsense.

And what the fuck was that getaway car doing? Just driving around in circles hoping Kate shoots?

Kathian

Banned
I loved the finale until about the last 20 minutes or so, the second from Dot sending that text. Horrible, Hollywood-esque nonsense.

And what the fuck was that getaway car doing? Just driving around in circles hoping Kate shoots?

Trying to get back on the same road whilst losing Kate (armed Police was on the way their path was limited). I felt the finale was appropriate as I say for a three year finale.

In all honesty I stopped watching after 10 minutes of S2E1 because I couldn't handle that camera technique when it looks to the side and zooms in super quick moving to the centre, it absolutely pisses me off, and they used it about 5 times in those 10 minutes. If they calmed down abit with it I might go back and watch the series.

Loved the finale. Having the vast majority of the episode focus on two long interrogation scenes highlighted how strong the cast and writing is. I was surprised at the relatively happy ending though. Normally on Line of Duty some minor player is fitted up while the real mastermind gets away with it. Maybe they thought this was going to be the last season.

Just watched the series 3 fianle. Never has one piece of music made me so excited in a trailer to watch the new series and fucking wow at the finale.

So that's what a three series arc done right feels like.

The theme music's the best.

Tugatrix

In all honesty I stopped watching after 10 minutes of S2E1 because I couldn't handle that camera technique when it looks to the side and zooms in super quick moving to the centre, it absolutely pisses me off, and they used it about 5 times in those 10 minutes. If they calmed down abit with it I might go back and watch the series.

they do calm down.

I love how this show portraits police work as a team work, procedural and prone to mistakes. And those interrogatories so damn good, so well write and acted. This show is a hidden gem that flies bellow radar unfortunately

DieH@rd

Banned
I binged entire show over the last two weeks. I just saw S3 finale, and DAMN! Last 20 minutes were so different than anything shown before. Still I liked it.

I can't wait for S4.

satriales

I've never gasped at the TV before but that Season 4 Episode 1 ending made me gasp. Wow!

Yeah, it's ridiculous but it's just so damn entertaining!

Also, I love how it tricks you into thinking you know where it's going and then it goes and does something completely different.

I've never gasped at the TV before but that Season 4 Episode 1 ending made me gasp. Wow!

Yeah, it's ridiculous but it's just so damn entertaining!

Also, I love how it tricks you into thinking you know where it's going and then it goes and does something completely different.

Yeah. It felt like it was written for a cliffhanger, and unless next episode begins with a messy fight/death, it'll be a bit..eh.

Damned if it isn't entertaining though.

I believe a series 5 and 6 have already been commissioned too, following its success on bbc2, so I'm intrigued to find out how the current story line ties into the greater plot, or if it is the start of a new one.

satriales

I believe a series 5 and 6 have already been commissioned too, following its success on bbc2, so I'm intrigued to find out how the current story line ties into the greater plot, or if it is the start of a new one.

I believe they've said that series 4 is a new story and won't connect to the previous three series which had pretty much tied up all loose ends by the end.
It's a good jumping in point for people that haven't seen it before.

I believe they've said that series 4 is a new story and won't connect to the previous three series which had pretty much tied up all loose ends by the end.
It's a good jumping in point for people that haven't seen it before.
I see I see, I did wonder what with the kidnapping being on the Borogrove estate which was featured previously, but I guess that would be a common locale.

I hope we see another big arc over subsequent series again then, I really enjoyed the build up alongside the more individual plot points

I see I see, I did wonder what with the kidnapping being on the Borogrove estate which was featured previously, but I guess that would be a common locale.

I hope we see another big arc over subsequent series again then, I really enjoyed the build up alongside the more individual plot points

I believe Jed Mercurio has said never say never about revisiting old conspiracies and plot threads, but for now he wants to do something new rather than risk the Caddy's organisation becoming some quasi-illuminati group. Ah well. New episode in a moment...

Kinda hope there's no big conspiracy this season and it's just Thandie Newton being pressured by the ACC to close the case.

When I noticed there was a minute to go I was expecting Steve to see Ros' husband jump out his office window to his death while he rode up in the elevator.

satriales

I was keen on balaclava man being Roz's husband but now I'm not so sure after that, even though it looks that way, red herring?

I first thought he was just cheating as his phone had lots of female contacts, but after that ending it's hard to say he's not balaclava man. They've already done the red herring with Tim, so I think it's real this time and I can't think of any other reason why he'd have the balaclava and bat with him and want to kill a police officer.

Whaaaaaat.

Also not the husband. Like 90% sure. Balaclava Man didn't have the same eye colour as husband. Also different shaped head. I mean I know stunt doubles etc but...

I am still wondering if there will be a flashback showing the fight with Tim, and the resulting bite/scratch on her arm. It's kinda weird that they've not done that.

I am still wondering if there will be a flashback showing the fight with Tim, and the resulting bite/scratch on her arm. It's kinda weird that they've not done that.

Well the show has been an unreliable narrator in the past, like Lindsay Denton in Season 2. Sometimes they save that for the finale.

Burning question for me; who's Jimmy Lakewell?

At first I thought "Underworld contact?" but the fact he mentioned his name to AC12 made me feel like "Oh, maybe he is just a criminal solicitor". Husband Huntley seemed wayyy too panic-y to say that and then become Balaclava Man, imo. A nice spanner in the works.

Also pretty sure
Arnott's not dead :/ I mean he fell from the 4th floor to 2/3rd floor. Probably crippled though
ending spoilers

The flashback will come at the very end in Roz's interviews I bet, just like series 2 with the Lindsay Denton revelations.

I first thought he was just cheating as his phone had lots of female contacts, but after that ending it's hard to say he's not balaclava man. They've already done the red herring with Tim, so I think it's real this time and I can't think of any other reason why he'd have the balaclava and bat with him and want to kill a police officer.
I don't think it's the husband, it would make no sense to do what he did in his own place of work, he would be implicated straight away. Plus his disposition seems too different.

I think
Arnott is dead
ending spoiler

satriales

Husband Huntley seemed wayyy too panic-y to say that and then become Balaclava Man, imo. A nice spanner in the works.

I don't think it's the husband, it would make no sense to do what he did in his own place of work, he would be implicated straight away. Plus his disposition seems too different.

If it wasn't the husband then how did he get in the building? It was locked and there was a security guard at the entrance. More importantly, why would they be in that building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom