• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awkward Scenes in Videogames That Made You Cringe

willooi

Gears of War 3: The entire sequence leading up to and including the Cole Train's bomb 'touchdown' in the stadium. How embarrassing.

Gears of War 3: The entire sequence leading up to and including the Cole Train's bomb 'touchdown' in the stadium. How embarrassing.

I thought that was pretty funny. On the other hand, every time Claudia Black opened her mouth to crack wise about what a tuff grrrrl she was. Seriously, if you're writing a game (or anything) and your female characters can't stop saying shit like "you just got beat by a girl!" or "never get between a woman and a sale!" just

stop

stop writing

nobody talks like that

SOnic_2.png

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It didn't make me cringe, but I imagine if I was in the MGS4 scene where Meryl shouts "THIS IS BULLSHIT" and knocks over a chair I'd feel awkward.

nullset2

Well... pretty much every single cutscene in Killer7 was awkward because of how batshit insane the whole thing gets... and some made me cringe, even.

I had people walk in on me while watching the... Harman/Samantha scene...

KingK

At the end of God of War 3 when my friend was watching me play:

Me: "Yeah dude, check out this game. It's so badass and brutal."
Pandora: "Hope is what guides us! Hope is why we are hear! Hope Hope Hope...."
*Kratos swimming through darkness for a few minutes*
Me: "uhhh, I can explain."

Also, I played through like half of MGS2 with some friends watching and there were too many cringe-worthy moments to count for us in there.

In before someone completely misses the point that this thread is supposed to be about purposely awkward scenes...too late.
Theres no such qualifier in the op.

The Bioware scene described by the op is unintentionally awkward as we know Bioware thinks theyre beautiful sex scenes full of romance and drama.

Raonak

Banned
no MGS4 mr & ms smith scene.
I love akward japanese kojima humour, but that was too bizziare, even for me.

Eusis

The entirety of Star Ocean 4 qualifies.

Seriously, this game is the ultimate example of an awkward game that makes you cringe, basically any scene past the WW3 opening fits the bill.

Though to a lesser degree I think almost all JRPGs are guilty to some extent, and Bioware romantic scenes are also plenty guilty.

90sRobots

So many Japanese games...

But here's mine! Ghostbusters: The Videogame does a half-assed version of the MASS HYSTERIA bit from the original movie. The game is full of shameless callbacks, but this one was the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ofBjp9oyY&t=18m25s

Obviously a result of the actors being recorded separately, animators having no sense of comedic timing and lazy writing (Aykroyd and Ramis writing the script was 99% marketing; they probably did a weekend's worth of rewrites. Even if they did have a significant hand in it, they're both filmmakers who have Lost It at this point.).

Still dig the game for what it was because GHOSTBUSTERS IS AWESOME

Eusis

So, the reason 90% of the scenes are from Japanese games is because of language differences or something?
90% because of cultural maybe, but I'd say 50% AT LEAST due to bad writing that either wasn't or COULDN'T be repaired in localization. Something like Tales of Vesperia for example is generally not THAT bad, while SO4 is an abomination, yet they were going for similar styles of anime humor/story telling. Oh, and both were handled by the same localization company, so that eliminates one factor.

Pyrrhus

Man, is one thread going to be enough?

I'm going to skip the obvious chestnuts and go for something a little more recent. Everyone rightly makes fun of the Press X to Jason component of Heavy Rain, but I think the scene where Special Agent Naahman Jayden confronts what appears to be the only black guy in this game's version of Philadelphia rates a lot higher on the scale.

I mean, the character is black, but he's motion captured by a white actor with this exaggerated ghetto swagger and voiced by a white guy with a script that has him yelling stuff like "Hey, cracka! Whacchu doin' in there!?" and doing rhyming jive talk like Roadblock from G.I. Joe. Maybe this all flew under the radar for a Frenchman like David Cage, but it comes off like something close to minstrelsy to American sensibilities.

Stuff like that is why it floors me that so many people lauded the game as an achievement in mature storytelling.

Degen

About every cutscene in Final Fantasy XIII made me embarrassed to be playing it. I'll give a nod to "Moms are tough" in particular though.
snow: WE'RE GONNA SAVE WHATEVER WE GOTTA SAVE RIGHT GUYS?? SSSAAAAAVE

hope: oh god i can't do this OH GOD... yet somehow i'm like the most powerful character.

vanille: lalalalalalaalaaa hey look a ten-foot bloodthirsty monster oh that's nice lalalaaa

fang: i'm a respectable character, but i'll take a back seat because honestly i'm just trying to score with vanille

black dude whose name i forget: yeah i'm pretty cool but i'm a joke character. welp, maybe next token

lightning: i hate everything. i hate life. i hate the game i'm in. irritated one-liner. *lightning walks away, which is how 50% of the cutscenes end*

Team Nora and nearly every time Snowe opens his mouth in FFXIII.

Oh and,
"Moms are tough" actually became hilariously ironic later on though do to certain events.

Someone should point out that the line is actually derived from a Japanese saying "women may be weak, but mothers are strong." The line actually uses archaic, fancy sounding Japanese in the original ver (yes, the FFXIII script includes a throwback to a sexist point of view). The "mom's are tough" line has me believing the translators were making fun of the game they were working on with FFXIII.

Top Bottom