• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve really need a Community Manager. At the least...

i do wholeheartly believe valve just really doesn't give a fuck

They won't care until it starts effecting their business, which it probably won't. The more people switch to PC gaming the more customers they get, and the less incentive they have to change anything

inm8num2

Valve seems most interested in making things as user-driven as possible (tags, reviews, guides, etc.), but indeed there are cases where it helps to have a community manager to serve as a liaison and communicate various issues or concerns to the proper parties.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Valve needs to get their shit together and finally announce L4D3. What the hell takes them so long??

Consumers aren't obligated to continue doing business with a company that frustrates them. It's in Valve's best interest to evaluate the way they engage with their audience.

They're not "obligated" in the sense that sure, they can do whatever they want. But they run a service, and it's pretty important to have good communication surrounding that service.

Yeah, that's like saying no one is obligated to say hello or ask you if you need any help when you walk in somewhere... this is essentially true, but an employee is required to practice customer service by most companies who wish to be successful, and companies generally try to put on a nice front to gain and retain patrons. Valve is just spoiled rotten and video game consumers are taken for granted because new markets are always the only market that matters.

DeBurgo

A company that preaches about a games as service future, yet has terrible customer service and communication.

Thats an oxymoron.
it's not really. the games themselves are the service, not traditional customer service.

Valve has always looked for tech/innovation solutions to certain PR issues. In fact I'd speculate that is practically their policy; if customers have a problem, it's because they haven't structured or built their software properly, and not because they aren't spending a ton of resources on (what is effectively) administrative overhead. Why pay a human being to do something that a piece of software can do just as well?

edit: I wouldn't disagree though that philosophy may be straining to its limit with the amount of scrutiny and attention that Valve is under these days. Valve's solution in these kinds of circumstances has usually been to ignore or find a way out of being responsible for the things people are upset at them for.

Vibranium

Banned
i do wholeheartly believe valve just really doesn't give a fuck

I agree with this. The only way you're going to get a half-straight answer is if you corner Gabe in an alley and ask him about hiring people.

They really need to get some customer support people, and I highly doubt it's hard to find people in bloody Seattle of all places. Not to mention a PR manager as others have mentioned.

Well, you could start by asserting that there's nothing traditional about a digital game store.

It's been the standard for the better part of a decade and online stores have been the norm for other products much longer than that. Are you seriously trying to suggest that because Steam was groundbreaking, Valve doesn't need better customer service or community communication?

Syf

Banned
I used to be a total Valve fanboy, but I stopped caring. Too many no-shows, too long without any information. It's like they don't care how frustrated they make their fans. Meh.

nbthedude

I kinda feel like Steam doesn't need PR or advertising because we all use it every day and Steam sales are just about the best PR you could hope for.

I've had to contact steam twice for refunds and once for a account access problem and both times J thought it was handled pretty fast and reasonable.

I can't really get worked up about white hacker justice or whatever. I doubt many other people care either.

Sendou

It's been the standard for the better part of a decade and online stores have been the norm for other products much longer than that. Are you seriously trying to suggest that because Steam was groundbreaking, Valve doesn't need better customer service or community communication?

I'd argue that's exactly why they need good customer service and communication. Steam is going to have these before unseen problems and they can't deal with them by being silent.

DeBurgo

I'm saying that Valve probably thinks it can get away without "traditional" customer service because it thinks it can avoid the need via smart business and software choices. I don't know what it needs to be successful or avoid failure, I'm not a soothsayer. It could very well be that customer service is unavoidable, in which case there are a bunch of totally viable competitors to Steam. As a PC game customer, I'm not terribly worried at the moment.

ShinMaruku

Community manager is more than just marketing. I would agree that they should have one, but that comapny how it's set up will never have that.

Benefits of Steam as a benign dictatorship monopoly:
- all games available in a single library, not scattered across multiple storefronts
- single universal client and username, bringing a 'universal login' service connecting all Pc gamers to Steams social functions
- Single account reducing security concerns of having multiple username / passwords for multiple sites, and multiple attack vectors to be concerned about
- consolidated game userbases; how many people playing x on steam right now = representative of game active userbase
- guarantee that all games are patched / updated concurrently, rather than waiting for a patch from one service and being unable to connect to those patched from another
- pressure on publishers to maintain operability of titles or risk delisting, and being unable to get around that by selling on alternate storefronts
- DLC parity, and DLC purchased in local currency / steam wallet rather than moonbucks

Nope.

There is no benefit to monopolies.

But Christ, maybe they could tell people Diretide isn't coming? Maybe when they extended Operation Phoenix they could have told us for how long? How about personally addressing the many situations where people lost hundreds of dollars because Steam's UI told them they were selling $1.50 gun skins instead of their factory new StatTrak knife that was immediately snapped up by a bot before they could do anything about it?

The Diretide incident is already the major story around how Dota is handled. Hopefully the market UI bugs get some more attention as well, because we're taking about people losing hundreds of dollars due to a bug.

Any links to discussion about this? First I'm hearing about it.

BHK3

Banned
They don't care, they never, ever will. They make so much money from steam it's absolutely ridiculous, and they know that once they eventually release whatever information they have for their new game or an update, all the fans will be please and the cycle starts again.

Mononoke

Banned
Community manager is more than just marketing. I would agree that they should have one, but that comapny how it's set up will never have that.

Yep. It's a hell of a position too. As any admin/mod on here can speak, it's a difficult task dealing with a group of diverse people who all want different things. And a Community Manger does much more than dealing with the community on a direct level. It's a pretty impressive job, and I have nothing but respect for those that do it.

I think I've realized over the past few years that I just don't really like the way Valve does things. In my opinion, they are kind of a shitty company. But they have great sales which makes it hard to ignore them. I used to like Valve as a developer (HL2) but their aim doesn't seem to line up with my interests anymore. I wish we could get someone to really compete with them.

Uthred

I would love more communication, but not at the cost of inferior products, and I think that would ultimately be the tradeoff.

This seems like such a wildly false dichotomy that its tantamount to bullshit. At the most basic level the one thing Valve is absolutely not short on is money. They could hire a dedicated Community Manager so it would have exactly zero impact on their products.

This is massively reductive, but whatever.
Sales start on the 19th, bump this to bitch about how bad they are then.

Its not like this is even opinion based, Amazon and GMG often have objectively better sales than Steam. In the case of Amazon.com they're even better for most non-US customers because they dont adopt Steams exploitative currency conversions

They run arguably the biggest digital games store on the market, how is traditional customer service not a part of that?

If only you loved Valve enough youd know the answer

Maffis

Valve desperately needs this IMO. So many times when Steam is down or when they managed to glitch Team Fortress 2 through their weird updates they never say anything to acknowledge the problems to their community.

And now this with banning the Dev for showing Valve the exploit is just weird.

Pretty sure SteamGAF would up to do it for free :lol

Elaborate please.

He could be talking about the constant flood of shovelware, prototypes that borderline on trolling, and untouched 4:3 games from the 90's and early '00s that we've seen for most of 2014, that used to only be available on bargain shelves in Wal-Mart next to such gems as Bejeweled or Serious Sam, as punishment for wanting 2D indie games, and not just buying stuff in Team Fortress like we're supposed to be doing + forcing them to do things like Greenlight.

It used to be worth going to steam store almost every day to see if anything new and interesting had been added, even if it was just some odd thing that popped up before or after tuesday... now if anything does, I probably never see it before it gets pushed down however many pages, can barely be arsed to click on 1 of 30 things that released this week, and has a nice looking logo/cool sounding title, to see if it's what would have been a 75% chance of being something like Thomas Was Alone or Stanley Parable just last year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd really like to see more done on Valve's blogs: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/

With the exception of one post in January from Michael Abrash (who no longer works at Valve), the newest entry between the three of them is from July 26, 2013. Their Linux blog hasn't been updated since November 16, 2012, and we all know that Steam for Linux has grown substantially since then. The entire Linux blog has a total of four posts.

This is just one example of something that would go a long way to furthering customer relationships. There are a LOT of cool things going on at Valve - why not share some of that with us on a regular basis? It doesn't have to be super-secret-half-life-3 stuff, but just the day to day things like "Hey, we've published this new change to the Steam client that lets you disable DLC for your games, and we think it's pretty cool."

I know that they have announcements like this that are made in the various "official" Steam community discussion groups, but these announcements are typically made by the engineers and are more technical in nature. Give us a blog post about your cool new thing you're working on, include some pictures, and it goes a long way to convincing everyone that there are real people working at your company.

Just my thoughts on the Valve blogs.

Vylash

He could be talking about the constant flood of shovelware, prototypes that borderline on trolling, and untouched 4:3 games from the 90's and early '00s that we've seen for most of 2014, that used to only be available on bargain shelves in Wal-Mart next to such gems as Bejeweled or Serious Sam, as punishment for wanting 2D indie games, and not just buying stuff in Team Fortress like we're supposed to be doing + forcing them to do things like Greenlight.

Exactly what I meant, the amount of unfinished games that are allowed to be sold, pushing down the actual quality games is absolutely disgusting, Steam is just as bad as the app store at this point

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Any links to discussion about this? First I'm hearing about it.

Here's the most recent /r/globaloffensive post on the matter but it has been around for quite some time. I can't spend a lot of time digging up some of the larger earlier posts at the moment but there have been plenty of instances of this bug hitting people and screwing them for quite a lot. They used to attempt fixing it but nowadays most people who get hit by it get the same response this guy did.

It boggles the mind how this bug can still be around.

Nzyme32

It used to be worth going to steam store almost every day to see if anything new and interesting had been added, even if it was just some odd thing that popped up before or after tuesday... now if anything does, I probably never see it before it gets pushed down however many pages, can barely be arsed to click on 1 of 30 things that released this week, and has a nice looking logo/cool sounding title, to see if it's what would have been a 75% chance of being something like Thomas Was Alone or Stanley Parable just last year.

Regarding the store, I'm just gonna repost what I've posted before from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113202304&postcount=40

It IS too late for steam to turn back. Are you aware of what Valve ultimately are transitioning Steam into?

The basic gist is for Steam to become completely open to self publishing, but to have multiple users and groups creating their own curated stores within steam. This has been discussed since 2012. So as well as Valve, there could be a Yahtzee store, TotalBisucuit Store, GiantBomb Store, Ubi Store, Cyberpunk Store, Bag of Shit store etc. Users, Devs, Pubs or whoever make stores would get a cut of the sales they create just as other people creating content do in TF2, Dota2 and a like. Gabe has explained the idea in previous years such as here: http://youtu.be/t8QEOBgLBQU?t=43m42s

As for worries of the quality dipping with the inevitable dumping of shit on to Steam, as we are already seeing, that has not been made clear too clear. However, a few weeks back some indie devs went to Valve to see where Steam is going. One of them is at least perfectly happy with how it's going to be particularly with those issues in mind and visibility of their own content: http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/05/10/the-future-of-steam-vr-and-other-seattle-stuff/

For a while, a lot of indies have been panicking about steam. There are more and more indie games being released though greenlight and people are worrying that the ‘average’ indie game on steam is making less money. The phrases you hear are ‘floodgates are opening’ and ‘race to the bottom’.

I’ve seen what valve have planned and I really do not think anyone has to worry. Actually I do. If your plan is to dump your first unity hobby game on steam and then retire rich, and that game is a clone or unpolished, or incredibly unoriginal, then yeah, you are so fucked, but frankly I don’t care.

Valve are approaching the ‘floodgates’ problem in exactly the right way. The steam experience for everyone is going to get so much better. I can’t fault their plans in any way. I’d love to attract loads of web traffic with a clickbait ‘valve are about to wreck steam’ blog post, but that would be complete bullshit.

My advice to indies uncertain about steam’s future is just to make a really cool game and don’t worry. That sounds like PR bullshit but it’s actually true for once.

Still, we'll have to wait and see how it goes. One dev at Steam Dev Days claimed Valve have told him that greenlight would be gone by the end of the year, which would make the new store implementation likely before then. Right now though, Steam is a mess. The only explanation I can think of for how messy it is could be that they purposely "open the flood gates" to a lot of shit content specifically to test internally how their new system handles it... otherwise I have no idea

kuroshiki

Valve doesn't need to change.

If you have problem, it is most assuredly that YOU are the problem, not the valve. Valve can't do wrong. They are infallible.

Pakkidis

The basic gist is for Steam to become completely open to self publishing, but to have multiple users and groups creating their own curated stores within steam. This has been discussed since 2012. So as well as Valve, there could be a Yahtzee store, TotalBisucuit Store, GiantBomb Store, Ubi Store, Cyberpunk Store, Bag of Shit store etc. Users, Devs, Pubs or whoever make stores would get a cut of the sales they create just as other people creating content do in TF2, Dota2 and a like. Gabe has explained the idea in previous years such as here: http://youtu.be/t8QEOBgLBQU?t=43m42s

I find this really hard to believe. The average joe just can't make a storefront and any game sold they get money. The storefront is more interface/cosmetic idea.

hellocld

I'd really like to see more done on Valve's blogs: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/

With the exception of one post in January from Michael Abrash (who no longer works at Valve), the newest entry between the three of them is from July 26, 2013. Their Linux blog hasn't been updated since November 16, 2012, and we all know that Steam for Linux has grown substantially since then. The entire Linux blog has a total of four posts.

This is just one example of something that would go a long way to furthering customer relationships. There are a LOT of cool things going on at Valve - why not share some of that with us on a regular basis? It doesn't have to be super-secret-half-life-3 stuff, but just the day to day things like "Hey, we've published this new change to the Steam client that lets you disable DLC for your games, and we think it's pretty cool."

I know that they have announcements like this that are made in the various "official" Steam community discussion groups, but these announcements are typically made by the engineers and are more technical in nature. Give us a blog post about your cool new thing you're working on, include some pictures, and it goes a long way to convincing everyone that there are real people working at your company.

Just my thoughts on the Valve blogs.

This. I think a lot of people (myself included) would be far happier with Valve as a company if they just talked about stuff once in a while. There's a difference between holding back until you've got something finished to announce and casually discussing interesting small developments to let us know you're still working on things.

Nzyme32

I find this really hard to believe. The average joe just can't make a storefront and any game sold they get money. The storefront is more interface/cosmetic idea.

That is explained in the video. The implementation will have to be seen. This was discussed again at Dev Days. They are still going forward with it. It seems obvious that this isn't a simple "cosmetic idea" when he discuss people being able to price stores out of the market. The mechanisms and input for limitation from pubs/devs are also yet to be seen. More of the waiting game it seems

Valve has been used to getting nothing but compliments from the press and the community up until this year. I think they simply don't know how to respond to controversy.

I don't want to put it all on this, but I would not doubt this is a possibility at this point. This will be much more interesting in the future as the PC Store market matures like what CCP/GoG is doing now.

Carlius

Banned
Valve is just heartless.

Seriously tho, they made some of my favorite games, but they moved on, I don't think they are interested in the same things anymore. They are all about user generated content, new business models, whales, multiplayer, f2p, etc. They also don't seem to care much about Steam being a polished product, for the size of the service they don't seem to invest enough into it at all, their costumer service is ice cold(one of the worse I ever seen).

Maybe Steam should be its own company separated from Valve.

thats why origin is so much better, and uplay too, cause valve never updates steam with somehing new to leave the others in the dust like it has for all these years. seriously?

origin and uplay dont even have an excuse to why they suck so bad cause DD is nothing new.

Regarding the store, I'm just gonna repost what I've posted before from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113202304&postcount=40

While all that sounds doable, it's reliant too much on people's taste and awareness for good things to not slip through the cracks and be unable to get a fair shake. Every month or so, Steam starts giving me flashbacks to 5+ years of LittleBigPlanet's community pages, and it's 8 million levels of spam, and things floating to the top to bury quality underneath things that are entertaining purely in an ironic sense. Individual stores is the equivalent of hearting a creator or forum member who has good taste, and hoping that they're active + unbiased.

It seems like financial gain would incentivize quality control from popular private curators, but it would also incentivise the same mentality that big publishers have - go lowest common denominator or go home, 'cause I'm busy showcasing the game that will get me paid.

Top Bottom