• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

Neiteio

As you may have heard, ARMS is doing very well, having sold 1.1 million copies in just two weeks. For perspective, Street Fighter V only reached 1.7 million after 17 months, and that's with access to an install base of 60 million users.

Well, it looks like Nintendo plans to keep things going with more new characters than anticipated. It seems that we'll possibly get nine additional fighters — each presumably with a stage and set of three new arms (27 new arms) — in future free updates.

I'll copy/paste the findings from Reddit:

Names in brackets signify existing characters. "Twintale" confuses me, but "Hair" is finished and must therefore be Twintelle.

Belt (Max Brass)
Chain
Coil

DNA (Helix)
Hair (Twintelle)
Mee (Min Min)
Mummy (Mummy)
Ninja (Ninjara)
Plant
Police (Byte and Bark)
Ribbon (Ribbon Girl)
Robo
Scroll

Snake (Kid Cobra)
Spring (Spring Man)
Sumo
Surprise
Sweet
Twintale

Worker (Mechanica)
–––
Two other names:
BossHead (Hedlok)
RNA (Dummies)
More file names in the whole Param/Punch directory:
https://pastebin.com/jXzB1MG5

Back to me, Neiteio...

I think a new fighter may be right around the corner, since we'll be getting a new update, soon.

DGTkgMfUwAAEXAB

Zubz

Banned
Wait, so Twintelle is "Hair" but we have one flat-out called Twintale? I guess we're getting a clone? Maybe Twintelle's stunt double?

Regiruler

20, what the fuck

Can we please get a Cell skin for Helix? I know Helix has his own fanbase for his goofy personality but I'd like the Stoic option.

Neiteio

Some have speculated that "Coil" could be based on tesla coils, "Scroll" could be a medieval or even papyrus-based Egyptian fighter, and "Chain" could be in some way related to Ninjara — his sensei, or I guess college professor.

I imagine "Plant" will be based around vines. "Sweets" could be based around cinnamon twists, or licorice, or any number of delectable treats.

Regiruler

Now to figure out which of them is the Ultra Hand user

It's going to be none of them because it's too good of a choice, and it seems they're really not doing extendable arms for anything that's not a helix shape. Maybe ARMS 2

Neiteio

Now to figure out which of them is the Ultra Hand user

It's going to be none of them because it's too good of a choice, and it seems they're really not doing extendable arms for anything that's not a helix.
They could possibly work the Ultra Hand into "Robo."

TDLink

20, what the fuck

Can we please get a Cell skin for Helix? I know Helix has his own fanbase for his goofy personality but I'd like the Stoic option.

As in, 20 total characters. Not 20 more characters on top of what is already in the game. 9 more over the course of a year seems pretty reasonable.

Honestly, if "Surprise" turns out to be a guest character, I feel like this lovable chap would make the most sense (at least IMO):

latest

All memes aside, he actually fits the design of ARMS like a glove considering his whole shtick is his stretchy arms, lol. I always thought it'd be kinda weird to see Little Mac with extendable limbs.

Neiteio

Nintendo tweeted that an ARMS update is soon. Seems like the perfect time to release another character, since Splatoon 2 just concluded Splatfest.

Time to give ARMS another shot in the, uh, arm.

Mory Dunz

As you may have heard, ARMS is doing very well, having sold 1.1 million copies in just two weeks. For perspective, Street Fighter V only reached 1.7 million after 17 months, and that's with access to an install base of 60 million users.

....really?
have some chill

Neiteio

Since "Hair" is a complete fileset and is thus Twintelle, the question is, what is "Twintale?"

Maybe Twintelle... has a twin. :)

Regiruler

20 total, which means that we're getting 9 more DLC characters.

I know what it meant. Given the matrix like property of the combinatorics involved, 3 new weapons and a fighter at a time adds up to a ton.
Since "Hair" is a complete fileset and is thus Twintelle, the question is, what is "Twintale?"

Maybe Twintelle... has a twin. :)

I don't see any reason for Twintelle to be getting a clone in the first game. Not even spring man really gets one, although Brass comes close-ish.

LotusHD

Banned
Wait, so Twintelle is "Hair" but we have one flat-out called Twintale? I guess we're getting a clone? Maybe Twintelle's stunt double?

There's some lore where the lab is trying to get samples from Twintelle or something, maybe they succeeded instead of
disappearing mysteriously...

True Fire

I'm guessing a few of these are placeholders for existing fighters. It's not like Nintendo ever intended for this list to get out.

Berordn

I'm wondering if some of these strings were doubled or aren't intended to represent unique characters. Ninjara is obviously Ninja, but could also be Chain, Twintale is too similar to be mere coincidence, and Robo is also Byte and Barq.

Seems like a situation where plans changed down the line for some of these.

Neiteio

....really?
have some chill
What are you getting upset about, sir? I'm pointing out the game is off to a strong start and Nintendo wants to (or would be wise to) keep up momentum. Data-mining seems to suggest there are at least nine additional characters planned to keep momentum going.

True Fire

What are you getting upset about, sir? I'm pointing out the game is off to a strong start and Nintendo wants to (or would be wise to) keep up momentum. Data-mining seems to suggest there are at least nine additional characters planned to keep momentum going.

Opening the thread with a Street Fighter V tangent was unnecessary and you know it.

I wonder how many of these are actual characters and not stuff like the AI dummies in Arms test

Also, putting that SFV bit is just asking for derails

Neiteio

Opening the thread with a Street Fighter V tangent was unnecessary and you know it.
Um, no? I'm pointing out it's off to a strong start using that as a reference point. My theory (or hope) is that Nintendo plans to keep strong sales going by sustaining the game with more content, which this data mine seems to support. We knew there'd be more characters, but this might suggest more than we originally thought.

Also, this is an ARMS thread anyways. I don't think SF fans will be in here getting upset.

Neiteio

I don't anticipate Little Mac being added, tbh. Maybe a character inspired by him, like an ARMS-universe take on him. But not the OG Little Mac himself. His arms don't stretch.

Yeah it got a Squid Girl costume set:
Was that only in Japan? It's cute but I don't recall acquiring those.

Wow that's way more than I expected. Good on Nintendo for providing this much support to Arms. Hopefully it can hold on that long, though. It seemed to lose steam pretty quickly, but I feel like some new modes might be able to help that.

On a related note, I'm disappointed none of the codenames seem to be film-related. Twintelle, while great, didn't really utilize the "movie star" part of her backstory much in her design. Ideally a movie actor character would have had arms based on these:

1.jpg

Maybe the "twintale" codename could be like, her director, and they could use that idea? It does seem to be the odd one out here.

Neiteio

On a related note, I'm disappointed none of the codenames seem to be film-related. Twintelle, while great, didn't really utilize the "movie star" part of her backstory much. Ideally a movie actor character would have had arms based on these:

1.jpg

Maybe the "twintale" codename could be like, her director, and they could use that idea? It does seem to be the odd one out here.
Yeah, film reels would be brilliant. Like you said, maybe "Twintale" is related to Twintelle and can incorporate the film theme.

I'd also like to see a music-themed fighter with accordions for arms!

j02739000001000-00-50bfuep.jpg

Top Bottom