• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft adds Phil Spencer to its 16 member Senior Leader Team

I don't understand the congrats. This guy killed a number of games and is directly responsible for this year's underwhelming lineup of exclusive games. And people are still acting like this poor performance is not really his fault even though he has been in charge of gaming for many years.

Keep fighting the good fight bro.

Gratz Phil, well deserved.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Strange comment.
What poor performance? Xbox one doing well, their best gen yet. Spencer bring best service, best hardware in 2 months and best lineup in Xbox history early 2018.

Their best gen yet? With worse sales than the Xbox 360, dismal sales in mainland Europe and absolutely terrible sales in Japan? PC gets more Japanese games than Xbox One. The number of actual Xbox exclusives hasn't been this slim ever and that's not going to change in 2018.

Dinjoralo

I think Microsoft sees gaming as a really important avenue. The only major shakeup I could honestly see long-term is them revamping the branding, calling it "Windows Gaming" or something. Right now Xbox is a strong brand purely for gaming, but with time I think rather than having to say that "Xbox is on Windows" they want to make gaming such an integral part of the Windows core experience that "Windows" is in the name, and that their home consoles are merely hardware to extend Windows Gaming to the living room.

I had the impression that what they've been doing with gaming on Windows 10 is trying to make Xbox into the name for their gaming branding, regardless of platform.

Tracygill

Is this no longer an accurate picture of the different divisions and teams within Microsoft?

R1O3nXb.jpg

Their best gen yet? With worse sales than the Xbox 360, dismal sales in mainland Europe and absolutely terrible sales in Japan? PC gets more Japanese games than Xbox One. The number of actual Xbox exclusives hasn't been this slim ever and that's not going to change in 2018.

What's the lottery numbers for tonight, please?

Trago

Eh, I still think that's very possible. Pending how well the X sells. Microsoft very obviously just wants you on Windows 10 regardless of if you buy their own hardware or not. No game released since last year, of for the foreseeable future, will require owning a Xbox.

They are still going to make games like Forza, Halo, Gears, KI, and Sea of Thieves. That's not going to go away, and thus gaming will still be important to them.

As I said above, that depends on how well they can turn their PC gaming strategy around. And right now, they don't have a significant foothold on PC gaming.

jelly

Considering the mess the Xbox One started like. they've turned it around and if anything, Microsoft see the long term, the games line up is poor with some gems but they really have flopped big time since Kinect was introduced. You can't deny they haven't tried though and I would say games don't grow on trees or take 2 years. If Phil comes up empty the next two years, I will be very disappointed. Microsoft see there is good opportunities in gaming and Xbox, that's all there is to it. Can they deliver more new stuff that people like, have to wait and see but I do agree, they need to start showing.

As I said above, that depends on how well they can turn their PC gaming strategy around. And right now, they don't have a significant foothold on PC gaming.

I mean, they bled almost all of whatever foothold they had in consoles too. They are going to need to turn that around significantly too. Just a matter of which direction they want to take and which makes more sense: try and turn around your PC presence or try and turn around your console hardware presence.

Where did bad guy Xbox touch you?

I mean, they bled almost all of whatever foothold they had in consoles too. They are going to need to turn that around significantly too. Just a matter of which direction they want to take and which makes more sense: try and turn around your PC presence or try and turn around your console hardware presence.
They should focus on both

Trago

I suspect they'll try and go for both before leaning hard in one direction though.

Jumeira

Banned
I don't understand the congrats. This guy killed a number of games and is directly responsible for this year's underwhelming lineup of exclusive games. And people are still acting like this poor performance is not really his fault even though he has been in charge of gaming for many years.

Well, Xbox fans dont follow anti-MS news on forums, maybe you should avoid them too? He's made significant changes through the years, more importantly he green lighted the production of the most powerful console ever made, something fans wanted above everything else. What you listed arnt issues for Xbox fans, nature of the business, and some of your complaints are already being addressed (yhe games are coming). Xbox fans love him.

TDLink

I doubt MS is going to drop a console that already works for a store that is disliked, it just won't make any sense. If anything is going, it will be the windows side of XBOX.

I think what's going to happen is MS will just eventually give up on the Windows Store and open the floodgates to their titles being available through other storefronts.

They've already been dipping their toes into that with Halo Wars, Quantum Break, D4, and Killer Instinct on Steam. I suspect it will continue, and they're mainly just holding off their "Big" service games as long as possible. But that dam will break eventually.

jelly

Is this no longer an accurate picture of the different divisions and teams within Microsoft?

R1O3nXb.jpg

Well, I think Xbox fell under the boot of Windows, they had no choice and Xbox on Windows 'Store particularly' shows how much say they really get, not a lot. Office and Windows are two gorillas who get along now. The cloud makes it all work so don't annoy them. I think Microsoft are more on the same page than they ever were.

I don't understand why people cry about exclusives like they matter to the vast majority of the population. Phil has done an amazing job at Microsoft and Xbox will only get better with him there.

What?! I'm certainly not buying consoles solely for third parties...maybe that's a thing for you but ummm first parties are also important because they bring life to a console. This is like Nintendos entire Identity, like what?

Trago

I think what's going to happen is MS will just eventually give up on the Windows Store and open the floodgates to their titles being available through other storefronts.

They've already been dipping their toes into that with Halo Wars, Quantum Break, D4, and Killer Instinct on Steam. I suspect it will continue, and they're mainly just holding off their "Big" service games as long as possible. But that dam will break eventually.

The problem with this is that those games haven't made a significant impact on Steam and probably haven't sold as well as their Xbox ports as well. I think if they start finding serious success on the Windows side over the Xbox side, then maybe hardware really won't make much more sense for them. They'll only have to focus on Windows services, but we aren't at that point.

TheJoRu

I had the impression that what they've been doing with gaming on Windows 10 is trying to make Xbox into the name for their gaming branding, regardless of platform.

Well yes, right now they are. They're being consistent with their gaming branding. But we're currently in the Xbox One-era, an era started before Windows 10 and before they started this initiative of wanting you to be able to play games on Xbox and Windows freely across devices. The kind of change I'm talking about doesn't make sense to do right now.

What I'm thinking about is the next era, perhaps 3-4 years from now. I believe their next gaming console will be highly integrated with Windows, and as that is the strongest brand of the two overall I think they'll adopt it. As an example; they won't have to do their whole "Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive"-thing, it'll all be "Windows Gaming exclusive" and stuff like "Xbox Play Anywhere"-branding won't exist because it's obvious that games for Windows Gaming work across the entire Windows ecosystem.

Well, I think Xbox fell under the boot of Windows, they had no choice. Office and Windows are two gorillas who get along now. The cloud makes it all work so don't annoy them. I think Microsoft are more on the same page than they ever were.

It's down to Satya, I read a long form article on him over lunch today and the guy is pretty inspirational, especially compared to what came before him! He joined the Linux Foundation, ffs lol.

We'll worth a read for anyone interested

https://www.fastcompany.com/40457458/satya-nadella-rewrites-microsofts-code

What?! I'm certainly not buying consoles solely for third parties...maybe that's a thing for you but ummm first parties are also important because they bring life to a console. This is like Nintendos entire Identity, like what?

And this proves exactly what everyone in this topic is saying, about how GAF says something an masse like Microsoft is quitting gaming and it isn't true outside this forum. You don't buy consoles for third parties, that's great, have a cookie. A vast majority of people buy Xbox/PlayStation to play with their friends who have the same system and to play multiplats like CoD/Madden/2K. Does exclusives help a console? Of course, but it isn't be all end all. Look at the Wii U which had some of the highest rated and amazing exclusives last gen. Had shit for the big AAA multiplats and look what happened.

Something not adding up here...plenty of arm chair analysts been saying MS will leave the gaming business soon?

Most of them will avoid this topic like the plague.

Are you mental? ;)

Satya is the Dude! The way he has transformed Microsoft from top to bottom is nothing short of incredible. Really looking forward to reading his book in a few weeks.

And congrats to Phil, very well deserved promotion and recognition.

fair enough mate, but Amy is love
she is the hidden gem

jelly

The problem with this is that those games haven't made a significant impact on Steam and probably haven't sold as well as their Xbox ports as well. I think if they start finding serious success on the Windows side over the Xbox side, then maybe hardware really won't make much more sense for them. They'll only have to focus on Windows services, but we aren't at that point.

I don't think so, hardware isn't sold at a loss and consumers are different, people prefer a console. What I hope happens is success on the PC side means they can invest even more into new game IP and experiences, the risk becomes less when you have a successful console and PC consumer base. Some games they released haven't been hits but the opportunity only gets greater with time and that bodes well for gamers.

Trago

I don't think so, hardware isn't sold at a loss and consumers are different, people prefer a console. What I hope happens is success on the PC side means they can invest even more into new game IP and experiences, the risk becomes less when you have a successful console and PC consumer base. Some games they released haven't been hits but the opportunity only gets greater with time and that bodes well for gamers.

My thoughts as well.

Kayant

Congrats he has his way with words sometimes but he certainly has shown he is a positive thing for Xbox and has made some good decisions since taking over.
Where would they go? The hardware (console) side of XB is currently carrying them right now.
You mean XBL/DD/Licensing etc. Hardware has been down in volume/revenue for a couple of quarters iirc.

Well yes, right now they are. They're being consistent with their gaming branding. But we're currently in the Xbox One-era, an era started before Windows 10 and before they started this initiative of wanting you to be able to play games on Xbox and Windows freely across devices. The kind of change I'm talking about doesn't make sense to do right now.

What I'm thinking about is the next era, perhaps 3-4 years from now. I believe their next gaming console will be highly integrated with Windows, and as that is the strongest brand of the two overall I think they'll adopt it. As an example; they won't have to do their whole "Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive"-thing, it'll all be "Windows Gaming exclusive" and stuff like "Xbox Play Anywhere"-branding won't exist because it's obvious that games for Windows Gaming work across the entire Windows ecosystem.

I've always thought this was the game plan. And I really like the idea of it.

Ushay

Absolutely a positive sign for gaming at Microsoft. Good for him.

Very positive I think. Before this I could definitely understand all the scepticism and very visible signs that there were troubles with MS pushing the games everyone wants (successfully).

With Phil in Senior leadership his voice and general sway with direction and funding Xbox division gets will be far more prominent. He's done a lot of good since the Xbox One reveal, very few others could have mitigated to the extent he has. It gives me, personally, a lot more confidence in the brand.

Let's hope this means more 1st party (partnerships) and studios!

Zedox

It will be "Download from the Windows Store"...just as people buy from the App Store or Google Play Store and it's for different devices (phones/tablets). This will be true of the next Xbox Device. You'll see a lot of convergence in Microsoft software and devices in the next couple of years.

Top Bottom