• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is Switch's best-selling non-Nintendo game

OT: From the high praise everyone is giving the game, it all sounds well deserved. There's been way too many games I want to play this year so I'll probably get around to it like next year or the year after at best

This.

It’s not weird to see all those mario thingies in other switch games, like minecraft, rocket l., skyrim etc.

No mario / nintendo character, no sale for Nintendo buyers.

It’s becoming a bad habit.
What about the the indie titles on the Switch? I guess those were successful because of magic or something? Also, you can't just assume that something like MineCraft or Rocket League is selling or is going to sell well because of Mario, not when those games are huge pretty much everywhere and the Mario content is mostly inconsequential. At the moment, there aren't many 3rd party games in general on the Switch so let's see how stuff like Doom or Fifa or NBA2K sell before we say Nintendo fans don't buy anything without Nintendo in it

So why did USF2 and Bomberman R sell?

Unless you're being sarcastic.
There weren’t many retail games on shelves. These two games got lucky. Being simple games for almost full price is good for publishers but bad for consumers.

I definitely don’t like that those two sold that great.

But for gamers wanting physical games these were the only two choices left.

Maybe I'm overestimating the appeal of classic Sonic, but it seemed to have a ton of hype for it and the it cost 1/3 the price. I'm not saying it did, and I absolutely adored Mario + Rabbids, but it seems like it should have sold extremely well.

You're overestimating how many people would download over buy retail. If Sonic Mania had a retail copy it would be the best selling third party game by a wide margin. But DL only naw. I wouldn't be surprised if it was well over 300k though.

NateDrake

This.

It’s not weird to see all those mario thingies in other switch games, like minecraft, rocket l., skyrim etc.

No mario / nintendo character, no sale for Nintendo buyers.

It’s becoming a bad habit.

Disagea 5 Complete will outsell the PS4 version of Disgaea 5 by the end of the year. What is the reason for that?

CookTrain

Maybe I'm overestimating the appeal of classic Sonic, but it seemed to have a ton of hype for it and the it cost 1/3 the price. I'm not saying it did, and I absolutely adored Mario + Rabbids, but it seems like it should have sold extremely well.

It's also on every other platform. Whereas Rabbids is just for Switch.

correojon

Yeah the biggest compliment you can give M+R is that it looks, feels and plays like a first party Nintendo game. I hope this level of execution opens doors to future crazy crossovers.

Seriously. I honestly kept forgetting Ubisoft made it. Then again, I don't think I ever bought a Ubisoft game.

Yup, I´m surprised at how both universes mix so well together. Mario provides the main layout while the Rabbids flesh out the world with all their weird stuff. And it´s awesome how Ubi has managed to put the rabbid crazyness into the game and still make it feel respectful to the Mario universe. This wasn´t an easy task but they´ve done it masterfully with all the stuff like the Mario and their rabbid versions interactions, items descriptions, things in the background...everything is incredibly cohesive and well done. Oh, and it even feels to have some layers of Nintendo polish to top it off. Hell of a game.

Seik

Banned
Totally deserved, I played the game to completion within two weeks. I drained all my free time into it.

There weren’t many retail games on shelves. These two games got lucky. Being simple games for almost full price is good for publishers but bad for consumers.

I definitely don’t like that those two sold that great.

But for gamers wanting physical games these were the only two choices left.

angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

To be fair, it's not entirely wrong to say that putting in Nintendo characters in a third party game helps it sell more. Case in point:

soulcalibur2.jpg

This was such a brilliant marketing strategy on Nintendo/Namco's part.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, it's not entirely wrong to say tha putting in Nintendo characters in a third party game helps it sell more. Case in point:

soulcalibur2.jpg

Single-handedly got me into the Soul Calibur series

If the argument is that Mario is popular and that helped it sell then isn't the argument that third parties shouldn't shit out unknown properties instead of their most popular games?

If Fifa sells are we gon be like "well of course Fifa sold, football is popular"? I mean yeah, that's why you launch shit people want?

Jakoo

Let Davide pitch another game and keep this team in tact. They get Nintendo and this hardware.

For everyone that's saying this only sold because it had "Mario" on the box--I think this game reflects a higher overall quality and charm then many of the other Nintendo-published titles featuring Mario as of late (Paper Jam, Sports Superstars, Star Rush, Color Splash, etc.)

TrutaS

I enjoyed the game very much, and a sequel with more fleshed out rpg elements will be welcomed. Well deserved, and despite the Mario label it should encourage Ubisoft to continue supporting the console.

Ivan 3414

To be fair, it's not entirely wrong to say that putting in Nintendo characters in a third party game helps it sell more. Case in point:

soulcalibur2.jpg

Hope they bring the HD version to Switch with all three guest characters

Glad it is selling well. Hopefully, it will continue to move units through the holidays.

Wonder how many copies it would take for Ubisoft to deem it a success? Wonder if it's close, or over, 1 million units WW yet.

Richie

Let Davide pitch another game and keep this team in tact. They get Nintendo and this hardware.

For everyone that's saying this only sold because it had "Mario" on the box--I think this game reflects a higher overall quality and charm then many of the other Nintendo-published titles featuring Mario as of late (Paper Jam, Sports Superstars, Star Rush, Color Splash, etc.)

Them's fighting words, a personal GOTY right there!
However I do agree that clearly lots of passion and love have gone toward Mario + Rabbids; it's one of my most anticipated games once I finally get a Switch and it's wonderful to see its efforts rewarded with the players' praises and wallets.

Renna Hazel

No retail release. Likely isn't tracked.

So all the indie games and other retail games that sold well due to A) no games or B) got lucky.

Seriously, the desire of some people to downplay the success of anything Nintendo is really getting tiring. There sure are a lot of gaming "getting lucky" on the Switch...

No retail release. Likely isn't tracked.

So all the indie games and other retail games that sold well due to A) no games or B) got lucky.
No they sold for being great games, or being only one of the few choices.

Fact is, place Mario in it or any Nintendo sticker and fans will eat it up. Could you imagine the sales of Mario vs Rabbits without the Mario universe? Or soul calibur II without Link?

There’s a reason lot’s of third parties want mario or nintendo cameos in their game.

It’s almost a free ticket to success..

Renna Hazel

Fact is, place Mario in it or any Nintendo sticker and fans will eat it up. Could you imagine the sales of Mario vs Rabbits without the Mario universe? Or soul calibur II without Link?

There’s a reason lot’s of third parties want mario or nintendo cameos in their game.

And you think people will buy a game like Rocket League because you can put a Mario hat on the car? With Mario + Rabbids, sure Mario helped sales out a lot. With other things you named like Skyrim and Rocket League...you're really reaching.

Fact is, place Mario in it or any Nintendo sticker and fans will eat it up
. Could you imagine the sales of Mario vs Rabbits without the Mario universe? Or soul calibur II without Link?

Except there are plenty of examples where that success hasn't happened at all. So...that's not a fact.

And you think people will buy a game like Rocket League because you can put a Mario hat on the car? With Mario + Rabbids, sure Mario helped sales out a lot. With other things you named like Skyrim and Rocket League...you're really reaching.
I’m afraid not. I’ve already heard people wanting Skyrim because of Link..

And I do remember a huge topic with the Mario and Samus skins for Rocket League. People loved it..

Renna Hazel

I’m afraid not. I’ve already heard people wanting Skyrim because of Link..

And I do remember a huge topic with the Mario and Samus skins for Rocket League. People loved it..

of course people like it, it's a cool Easter Egg. It doesn't mean people who had no interest in the game are suddenly going to purchase it because the car has a Mario hat on it.

I'm pretty sure you're just saying stuff to rile people up though.

What are you talking about. People dont buy games they dont want because it has nintendo costumes. Like come on. Rabbids is a Mario game so yeah people buy it for Mario. No one is buying Rocket League and Skyrim for skins. Come on.

Top Bottom