• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently the Division on PC has a fatal flaw in it's code that allows easy cheating

Zomba13

Oh so basically they turned them off to not stress the server......but with features turned off aren't actually testing features for large crowds....Therefor not actually test the servers

WAIT.....WHAT! That would be fucking stupid.

You'd think during beta tests designed to stress the servers that you'd turn on the features that stress the servers to see if they hold up with a small amount of people so you can be more confident they will hold up when the game launches.

Hyun Sai

Oh so basically they turned them off to not stress the server......but with features turned off aren't actually testing features for large crowds....Therefor not actually test the servers

WAIT.....WHAT! That would be fucking stupid.

Not if the Beta is a glorified demo not reflective of the problems the game may be facing at launch.

They may be dishonest, but they're not stupid.

Lebneney

Banned
Guess I'm getting it for PS4 if this still persists. Still cautious for purchase. Might just wait for some Wildlands to come out and play with some friends. Classic PvE style.

j-wood

Instead of randomly guessing if they can fix this or can't fix it, or what this actually means, what would be really useful is if we could get a comment from the dev team.

Does anyone know a dev on twitter? Has anyone sent this info to a website to try and get them to contact ubisoft for a comment?

Ubi aint the best at stopping cheaters....i can load up a trainer on dying light and enter peoples games and slaughter them with godmode...unlimted ammo...ect...still has not been patched

Same with r6...u can load a trainer on single player...level up your character and give him tons of renown then jump back online

Trainers have been around for years....

BizzyBum

I mean, something like this would have to get fixed before release, right?

Still, makes me nervous getting the PC version now. Might go with PS4.

GHG

Ubi aint the best at stopping cheaters....i can load up a trainer on dying light and enter peoples games and slaughter them with godmode...unlimted ammo...ect...still has not been patched

Same with r6...u can load a trainer on single player...level up your character and give him tons of renown then jump back online

Trainers have been around for years....

Dying light isn't an Ubisoft game...

gblues

Banned
The far more likely scenario here is that there are critical stability problems in the server-side checking algorithms so they disabled the checks so that the limited beta could proceed as scheduled.

Validating the data coming from the client is one of the server's primary duties. You don't just not do that in production code.

Tovarisc

djbz20h.jpg

https://twitter.com/hamishbode/status/693887497986805760

Hamish Bode - Community Developer for The Division at Massive

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Beta builds in their current form we get now are usually much older clients (like a demo), than what they have now. This may have been something that is no longer set like this in their internal builds.

And like some have suggested, this may have have been intenational for testing purpose.

I refuse to believe they are that naive.

M_A_C

Beta builds in their current form we get now are usually much older clients (like a demo), than what they have now. This may have been something that is no longer set like this in their internal builds.

And like some have suggested, this may have have been intenational for testing purpose.

I refuse to believe they are that naive.

Look up some of the PC Rainbow Six Siege cheater/hacker videos of people being so blatant with it and there is seeming no repercussions.

is this 1999? client side Diablo trainers lol

that Ubi post on this still seems rather... specific to certain glitches, not the entire client side thing. that said, I can't imagine any serious MP game since about 2005 keeping such data client side lol i mean, not even ubisoft should be making that error. could not even be a glitch but just something they left in a debug version of the client so that internal QA could more quickly edit/test data.

KiraXD

Really? Will do.

Always been par for the course with online gaming, especially on the PC sadly.

You mean, beta testing? Lol

did people forget that this was a beta? lol... like the WHOLE POINT is to find stuff like this so they can fix it...

so... good job?

They just have to enable server checks which actually are in the game. Seems like they disabled them for performance reasons due to server stress in the beta. Just like they disabled unlimited random side missions and reduced random enemies compared to the alpha.

How do you know all this?

Horp

I hope they'll flick on server side checking and anti cheat with harsh banning as punishment one week after release. Bait the fuckers.

Durante

Not checking all of that on the server in an MMO is pretty strange. I'm sure it will get sorted out.

(And for the record, it would also allow cheating on consoles, you'd just need to add a man-in-the-middle PC)

SentryDown

It will be fixed guys, don't panick, you'll have other opportunities to board the Ubisoft Hate Train.

EDIT : Cheating will exist anyway guys, that's PC, may I remind you that about 1 millions players get VAC banned each year on Steam and that's only for modifications of original files that get detected, many other bans comes with internal system such as CS GO Overwatch

Urthor

Is it possible to even fix this? If they just move the variables onto the server, the fact is players can just alter the modifiers to those variables client side if they keep the same structure.

They'll actually have to recode the architecture for this and that's an absurd amount of work.

SentryDown

Is it possible to even fix this? If they just move the variables onto the server, the fact is players can just alter the modifiers to those variables client side if they keep the same structure.

They'll actually have to recode the architecture for this and that's an absurd amount of work.

They definitely don't have to recode the whole architecture for a small thing like this, they just need to add a few script client and server side to check small variables.

Senhua

Because the build for final and beta is different.
Maybe they had disable the checking in purpose? for testing only.

SeppOCE

This won't change easily I hope everyone knows. NEVER buy a completely client-sided game on PC with the intention of playing online. You will get rolled.

That Reddit post is pure speculation. Who releases a "beta" with checks like this OFF? That makes zero sense. I don't see a plausible scenario in which they just "left the checks off because servers cost money" or anythjng of the sort.

Not necessarily. It isn't outright impossible to make a completely serverless PC game which prevents "forbidden action based" cheating (as opposed to graphical hacks, bot help etc.), at least in the sense of "everybody else sees you doing idiotic stuff"; it simply costs "some megahertzes". However what we've seen so far does not look promising.

I'm glad that I'm not really into multiplayer games or I'd have a much harder time deciding where to play multiplatform games. A bunch of companies are keen to collect that PC port money without putting in the work to account for an open platform.

I thought The Division would be OK, though. Ubi seems to have spent a lot of time on the PC port.
It's not a port.

Top Bottom