• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

tumblr_otdh3uf1L61w4l4mso1_540.png

What is this from and is it good?

Alright comic gaf. What's the situation for Destiny 2. Who's buying it and which system

I'm not sure what to do for it. I loved playing it PC, but PS4 has slightly more content and coming out next week. But with my backlog I could probably wait just fine

So I'm looking at either
1) Wait for PC
2) Skip it
3) PS4 (which will likely lead me to option 4)
4) Double dip on PS4 & PC

I have to double-dip for work.

Intriguing. Wonder how they'll tackle that one.

Elaborate?

On the comic conspiracy podcast, Ryan Higgins talked about spoilers when it came to what Marvel and DC did with Secret Empire and Metal.
Level 1: Anything that you have an interested in like comics or movies or TV.
Level 2: A spoiler that you know it's coming.
Level 3: A spoiler that comes out of nowhere.

Ah, I see. Perhaps they're struggling finacially? Would be unfortunate if they went out of business as I've really enjoyed some of their titles. And I feel they offer something unique.

Not an excuse, of course. Creators should absolutely be paid properly and on time. And if they can't do that then perhaps they ought to pack it in.
Boom is notorious for late and low pay. They're doing just fine financially as far as I know. They are supposed to be great to work with.

Aizo

Banned
On the comic conspiracy podcast, Ryan Higgins talked about spoilers when it came to what Marvel and DC did with Secret Empire and Metal.
Level 1: Anything that you have an interested in like comics or movies or TV.
Level 2: A spoiler that you know it's coming.
Level 3: A spoiler that comes out of nowhere.
It sucks that covers of issues or solicitations often give so much away. I'm a person that's not bothered by
most spoilers.

Sandfox

That is a weird thing that I notice about comics. It seems like cover and solicitations can give away things even though they shouldn't.

Solicitations have to give stuff away to an extent because of how the system is set up. Retailers need/want that info before making orders.

So....Batwoman #6... What the fuck was that all about?? It was awesome but...what.

It's a flash-forward preview of an upcoming story where Batman is a facist and Kate is leader of the Colony. And older. #7 is a new story arc so I don't know why they decided to just shove this in there.

Messi

It's a flash-forward preview of an upcoming story where Batman is a facist and Kate is leader of the Colony. And older. #7 is a new story arc so I don't know why they decided to just shove this in there.

EVENTS!

BUT

KATE AND RENEE :'))))

VanWinkle

I'm so excited for The Terrifics, but the only slight worry I have is Jeff Lemire. I think the guy is super capable of good writing, but I haven't seen any good lighthearted fun from him. The only one I saw him try is Hawkeye which I did not enjoy.

I think Jeff Parker would have been the PERFECT writer for it. But oh well.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
As others have pointed out, Gwenpool is very very good.

I think the only good Marvel books may be the ones starring women.

Squirrel Girl
Gwenpool
Thor (though she's more co-starring at this point)

And I've heard good things about Jessica Jones and Jean Grey.

Sandfox

Squirrel Girl
Gwenpool

There are strong books with male leads.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
There are strong books with male leads.

I know people have liked Doom Iron Man, and Daredevil, but I haven't been reading them. There are presumably others too. Miles Spidey has been ok, but I feel like Bendis has been stalling until Spider-Men gets finished.

Guardians has been good though. That's arguably male fronted.

I also got Balck Bolt in the bohgo. I've heard that's good.

dh4niel

Man, this Secret Empire BS makes me want to ditch comics again. I'm glad my dearest X-Peeps had nothing to do with it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Squirrel Girl
Gwenpool

Black Bolt and Black Panther are pretty solid too. Spectacular Spider-man had a good start to me.

Aizo

Banned
I read two more coming of age GNs yesterday: Local and Lucky Penny.

Local could have a couple chapters cut, but overall, I really liked it. I could relate to the moving around all the time trying to find the right place. I've moved so many times in the past 5 years. Two different cities back home and 6 places across three prefectures in Japan.

Lucky Penny went full joke mode near the end, and I thought it was way too random. Kinda hurt the series, despite being fun. Felt messy.

Read vol. 1 of Xmen blue. It's not bad, but I have to say the art is very inconsistent. In issue 6, there are so many panels where Jean's face looks strange as all hell.

Malyse

Was Batman and Harley Quinn any good/

Nope. It's trash.

What the fuck happened? DCAU was > DCEU up till Diana and now they're failing all over the place.
So....Batwoman #6... What the fuck was that all about?? It was awesome but...what.

Wait what.

And is Iron Doom ending?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If the animation would just be good, I would be able to overlook lacks in the story.
I just hope we get a Mask of the Phantasm release soon.

dan2026

I stand alone here then.

The live action movie was good but some parts, especially the ending were quite weak.
It's light years better than BvS and Suicide Squad though.

I felt the animated movie was enjoyable all the way through. Granted it's been a while since I've seen it so my memory may be foggy.

Wait what.

And is Iron Doom ending?
The future story will be picked up in Detective Comics following the Lonely Place of Living arc.

Yes, the Iron Man books are combining for Legacy.

From Ellis' letter:
So when I woke up, it was still September 1, so I went out for a long lunch and then caught up on the four episodes of TWIN PEAKS I hadn't seen while writing the screenplay. Because I was busy, but also because you don't necessarily want David Lynch and Mark Frost in your head while writing a very different kind of thing.

The finale is tonight, I believe. I'll be waiting a few days before I watch it. It has been an artwork that, generally, we have not behaved well enough to deserve. Even if I have infamously been skipping through Dougie Jones scenes a bit.

I feel like I'm probably going to have to do a big exegetic piece about it once it's over, just to get it out of my system and get all my thoughts about it out in front of me so I can see them. It's given me furiously to think about borderlines and containers in storytelling and the perimeters we draw for ourselves. The boundaries of storytelling. Experiential narratives. I dunno. It's all still cooking down in my head. I am looking forward to its last two-hour movement.

(It's also got me re-thinking vol 3 of THE WILD STORM a bit, and combining into it some story ideas I'd previously considered doing elsewhere in the line.)

Christian

So, this isn't anything recent, but I read through Busiek's Avengers run a few months ago, and when it concludes, it switches to Geoff Johns, and I'm reading that now, and it's ... not good. And the art gets progressively worse, too. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to let Scott Kolins draw an Avengers book? Wretched. Bleh. How disappointing.

So, this isn't anything recent, but I read through Busiek's Avengers run a few months ago, and when it concludes, it switches to Geoff Johns, and I'm reading that now, and it's ... not good. And the art gets progressively worse, too. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to let Scott Kolins draw an Avengers book? Wretched. Bleh. How disappointing.
Didn't Bendis ask the higher ups for the chance to do Disassembled like, 2 issues into Johns time on the book?

Tizoc

The one Geoff Johns Avengers story I read was Red Zone with art by Olivier Coipel, that one I enjoyed.

What were some of your fav. parts of Busiek's run?

dan2026

After seeing the crazy difference in quality with Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-ray.
Batman the animated series and Superman the animated series need a proper Blu-ray release right fucking now.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Don't diss Kolins, he's a good artist and in that Avenger story he sells berserk She-Hulk pretty well.

Christian

The one Geoff Johns Avengers story I read was Red Zone with art by Olivier Coipel, that one I enjoyed.

What were some of your fav. parts of Busiek's run?

Kang Dynasty is probably one of my favorite storylines across any run.

And yeah, Red Zone was actually pretty good. I didn't know that about Bendis and editorial. The run just isn't impressive at all. Just doesn't feel like it's gone anywhere, and these "character moments" that Johns clearly wants to focus on feel unnatural and forced.

Didn't Bendis ask the higher ups for the chance to do Disassembled like, 2 issues into Johns time on the book?
Iirc Bendis was asked to do a big avengers story once Marvel decided to put a bigger focus on avengers comics. They went with Bendis over Millar because Millar was doing Ultimates at the time.

I don't think Johns was particularly popular yet when he started his short avengers run.

Top Bottom