• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Melchiah

Oh the yeah the Threaded Cane works I just didn't like enough to stick with it. By the time I had to fight enemies where targeting specific body parts was crucial I had the Burial Blade other wise I would have used the transformed cane.

I found the Moonlight Sword to be more effective against OoK, but the Cane made the Defiled and Ihyll chalice bosses easier to handle. I could keep distance to the Watchdog for example, and hit the Headless Bloodletting Beast more easily. The latter boss was seemingly impossible for me with +10 Saw Cleaver and Whirligig Saw. The additional visceral damage helped against the Keeper as well.

Just don't put the gems in the dungeon and don't make people grind for items to do the chalices. Just requires entirely too much farming if you don't have the codes.

So, you'd want to remove the rewards from them, and thus one of the main reasons (along with overcoming the challenge) to play them?

4dS0xvE.gif

gogosox82

I found the Moonlight Sword to be more effective against OoK, but the Cane made the Defiled and Ihyll chalice bosses easier to handle. I could keep distance to the Watchdog for example, and hit the Headless Bloodletting Beast more easily. The latter boss was seemingly impossible for me with +10 Saw Cleaver and Whirligig Saw. The additional visceral damage helped against the Keeper as well.

So, you'd want to remove the rewards from them, and thus one of the main reasons (along with overcoming the challenge) to play them?

There would still be bosses which is a challenge itself and I wouldn't remove all gems, I would just make them farmable in the base game. Also farming for materials for the chalice dungeons is insane. They shouldn't make you farm for that stuff. If you play offline, it takes so long just to farm for the materials to do the dungeon you want. It was just poorly thought out and they didn't really consider people who didn't have ps+.

Melchiah

There would still be bosses which is a challenge itself and I wouldn't remove all gems, I would just make them farmable in the base game. Also farming for materials for the chalice dungeons is insane. They shouldn't make you farm for that stuff. If you play offline, it takes so long just to farm for the materials to do the dungeon you want. It was just poorly thought out and they didn't really consider people who didn't have ps+.

Huh, I went through all the chalice dungeons offline, and I had no problem with finding all the materials I needed by going through them once. I even ended up having some extra materials to open some root chalices.

There should be a challenge involved in getting the best gems. Getting them from the main game would be no challenge at all. That being said, you can get +22.3% physical attack gems from the Winter Lanterns before OoK.

Maybe it depends what you're doing, farming for gems or something, but if you just want to get to the end boss you get all the materials you need. If you follow one of the guides to reach the Queen you can get through even quicker, there's a lot that are totally optional.

My build was all in on skill, so I couldn't use the HML sword. I beat OoK using the Rakuyo and Beasthunter Saif. For those chalice dungeon bosses I used the Burial Blade, because if you got decent at the timings you could stagger them almost every time I committed to a full set of swings. It was also the only weapon I could use that consistently broke the Watchdog's skull, so I could back away and use Bone marrow Ash pistol attacks on the last phase. The Threaded Cane is safe and slow, which is fine but not what I go for in any of these games. I don't even use a shield in Souls games instead opting to roll into everything, unless I need to parry.

In regards to chalice dungeons I do think tying most gem drop to those areas is kind of frustrating. I'm doing a Str/Arcane build right now and I need nourishing gems, but there are only three in the whole game. If I want better ones I have to run the depth 5 Chalice dungeons. I get not wanting for players to be able to double their damage with just gems in NG, but there has to be a middle ground. Perhaps tying the quality of gems that drop outside of chalices to NG tiers would work.

I just did the Chalice dungeons for the first and I never needed to farm for items. I did every single one and I had extra materials by the end.

gogosox82

Huh, I went through all the chalice dungeons offline, and I had no problem with finding all the materials I needed by going through them once. I even ended up having some extra materials to open some root chalices.

There should be a challenge involved in getting the best gems. Getting them from the main game would be no challenge at all. That being said, you can get +22.3% physical attack gems from the Winter Lanterns before OoK.

But they only drop physical gems. They don't drop fire attack up gems, arcane attack up gems, bloodtinge gems, fools gems, nourishing gems, etc. They don't even drop thrust attack up or blunt attack up gems, just phy attack up and they aren't even the best phy attack up gems, just merely decent for when you can get them. I mean, there's really no reason why those two winter lanterns in the dlc don't drop 27% attack up gems. I mean, unless you mlg pro, your going to be doing that at the end of the game with +10 weapons so why don't they have a chance to drop some of the best gems for phyical in the game? Makes no sense. Hell you can even make the chance for 27% gems really rare. Like 1% chance with no item find but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to drop them.

Personally, I find the chalice dungeons quite boring and tedious so I don't want to be in there any longer than I have to and I'm sure many players feel the same so to say to someone, "Hey, instead of farming for the thing you want. Your going to have to farm for the mats to open to up the dungeon to have a "chance" to get the thing you want" is shit imo. There's a good chance you might get bad rng and not get the gems you want and have to do the dungeon all over again or have to go farm more mats so that you can have open up the dungeon to have the chance of getting it again if you don't have internet or ps+. Its just really poorly thoughtout imo. Just make it more straightforward and don't make us farm so much for mats and don't tie rng to it and it would be significantly better.

You can do plunging attacks off a ladder?! I can't believe I didn't know this.

I'm not sure if you can do them off the ladder, but you can climb it, and then plunge from the top. Just kill that statue thing that's shooting at you at the top.

Which way are you coming into the well, from the top of the ladder at the start of the Fishing Hamlet, or from the end of the level, and dropping down from the ledge? If you're coming from the ledge way, you can shoot them from relative safety apparently.

sphinx

the piano man
wait.. I just realized it says "Prey Slaughtered" :O

what boss is that?? can't believe it but I can't think of any boss... probably the one that says "Grant us eyes" but I can't remember any ladder climbing

wait.. I just realized it says "Prey Slaughtered" :O

what boss is that?? can't believe it but I can't think of any boss... probably the one that says "Grant us eyes" but I can't remember any ladder climbing

The ladder is before facing Logarious , the guy is the invader.

The players can get invaded in that area a lot since is a hot spot for summonings

blakdeth

I'm not sure if you can do them off the ladder, but you can climb it, and then plunge from the top. Just kill that statue thing that's shooting at you at the top.

Which way are you coming into the well, from the top of the ladder at the start of the Fishing Hamlet, or from the end of the level, and dropping down from the ledge? If you're coming from the ledge way, you can shoot them from relative safety apparently.

From the top of the ladder at the start of the Fishing Hamlet. I'm thinking I may have to wait until the end of the level where I can access the ledge.

kikiribu

I platinumed this game twice and even made this stupid user name because it sounded like Djura. Best game I've ever played in my life.

Sunhi, do you have a site/ blog you post all of these gifs to?

I started using my twitter a few months ago to post gifs, what I usually do once I've made quite a few of one particular game is make a moment compiling all my tweets of that game. Once I'm further into Bloodborne I'll create a twitter moment with all of them linked in there and will update when I make more.

zma1013

I've had this since launch but just started playing last night. I started with the Saw Cleaver and Blunderbuss but they feel off somehow, so I'm restarting with the Threaded Cane and Hunter's Pistol. Really enjoying the game so far.

Blunderbluss is slightly slower to fire and has very weak damage but has shotgun spread so it very rarely misses so in that way it has a big advantage for parrying.

Pistol is quicker and can do good damage when upgraded and spec'd for but if facing a fast enemy shots can sometimes miss because it's just one projectile going out.

As with other souls games, nearly any weapon is viable. Saw cleaver is one of the best though and gets a bonus towards certain enemy types and is simple to use. Cane has a bit more of a learning curve to its moveset but the whip is good for crowd control and looks cool.

It's really just about what feels good to you and what movesets you prefer.

Ladekabel

Fuck Arthas, Lich King Martyr Logarius! Bullshit Boss. Flies in the air and when I just would've evaded his attack he comes with another, doesn't get staggered sometimes and his fucking flying swords. These fucking flying swords! Whenever I destroy the thing he puts it down across the area, unleashes a combo on me I can't evade because the flying things interrupt me and I die. Fuck this guy.

xuchu

Fuck Arthas, Lich King Martyr Logarius! Bullshit Boss. Flies in the air and when I just would've evaded his attack he comes with another, doesn't get staggered sometimes and his fucking flying swords. These fucking flying swords! Whenever I destroy the thing he puts it down across the area, unleashes a combo on me I can't evade because the flying things interrupt me and I die. Fuck this guy.

This is last phase yes. For the flying attack, roll forward once while he is in the air or simply take a few steps forward. He will fly straight above you allowing you to do a charged R2 on his back setting up a backstab. When he sticks his sword into ground (this summons his flying swords) simply lock on to it and shoot it. One shot will destroy it and stop the summoned swords.

Ladekabel

one of my favorite bosses, just destroy that sword ASAP.

I always do but then he directly summons another one.

This is last phase yes. For the flying attack, roll forward once while he is in the air or simply take a few steps forward. He will fly straight above you allowing you to do a charged R2 on his back setting up a backstab. When he sticks his sword into ground (this summons his flying swords) simply lock on to it and shoot it. One shot will destroy it and stop the summoned swords.

Wait. I can target and shoot the sword? Makes the times my character slightly hit over the thing slightly embarassing.

sphinx

the piano man
Wait. I can target and shoot the sword? Makes the times my character slightly hit over the thing slightly embarassing.

this was exactly me after my 20th or so attempt

"this is bullshit, I can't stand that flying swords attack, this game sucks, worst game ever".

...*goes to see a youtube tutorial

....ooooooohh thaaaat's how is done..

(let us know when you beat it ;) )

Top Bottom