• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

God if switch becomes the ds 2.0 with Pirate carts everywhere to the point where mum and dad customers just buy Pirate shit without knowing, that would suck pretty badly

legend166

I've wanted to make an alt-history thread on OT about whether the US would be better off if they didn't have the American Revolution. So many of its current day issues can be tied back to how the nation was started and the fact they're still tied to these outdated ideals (gun rights, the entire structure of their government, etc). All that stuff was great in 1776 but can and should have been improved dramatically by now.

If you look at Europe and other western democracies, they've all basically had multiple apocalyptic events that allowed them to start over and improve. France is up to its 5th Constitution! The majority of the social democracy ideals people enjoy about Europe came about after WW2 where everyone was all "oh crap we nearly destroyed western civilisation we should probably just chillax and try and enjoy things more and look after people."

You'd have thought the American Civil War would have been the opportunity to try and change things up but nope, they couldn't have screwed that up more if they tried.

Then you had this humongous population explosion, and now America is basically too big and fractured to govern effectively. I mean they're larger than every other Western democracy but what, a factor of 4?

jambo

Qnahp3p.gif

bomma_man

I've wanted to make an alt-history thread on OT about whether the US would be better off if they didn't have the American Revolution. So many of its current day issues can be tied back to how the nation was started and the fact they're still tied to these outdated ideals (gun rights, the entire structure of their government, etc). All that stuff was great in 1776 but can and should have been improved dramatically by now.

If you look at Europe and other western democracies, they've all basically had multiple apocalyptic events that allowed them to start over and improve. France is up to its 5th Constitution! The majority of the social democracy ideals people enjoy about Europe came about after WW2 where everyone was all "oh crap we nearly destroyed western civilisation we should probably just chillax and try and enjoy things more and look after people."

You'd have thought the American Civil War would have been the opportunity to try and change things up but nope, they couldn't have screwed that up more if they tried.

Then you had this humongous population explosion, and now America is basically too big and fractured to govern effectively. I mean they're larger than every other Western democracy but what, a factor of 4?

Might find this interesting.

Quasar

God if switch becomes the ds 2.0 with Pirate carts everywhere to the point where mum and dad customers just buy Pirate shit without knowing, that would suck pretty badly

Certainly there is/was a class of people who only bought into a platform once they were broken. Given I lost my alltime favourite platform (Amiga) in part to piracy I'm a bit sensitive. Nintendo at least weathered it.

Fredescu

When they said there will be a point in your life when new technology will fill you with confusion and fear rather than excitement and joy, I didn't believe them, but here we are.

Quasar

Bought a Google Home. All hail the glorious future where I don't need to move any body part besides my mouth ever.

Pretty happy with mine that I got last Christmas. A bit annoyed that the local launch has some features disabled (Assistant Apps and Shortcuts), but those are easily re-enabled. Though hopefully those will rollout soon.

That local pricepoint though...thats more than what I paid at launch last year even with paying for a remailer from the US.

Though taking a look...the current US price with GST would only be $179 according to Google, so I guess the Australia tax isn't as much as I expected.

Quasar

the Big question is Which one should i pick and why do i want one besides the basic use Case ?

Well with a US one you need a power adapter (or I guess a local power cable) and there's going to be extra hassles for any repairs/warranty claims.

Is that worth saving (at this point) $20?

Well with a US one you need a power adapter (or I guess a local power cable) and there's going to be extra hassles for any repairs/warranty claims.

Is that worth saving (at this point) $20?

Not at all but just not Sure i want one to begin with

novel Concept tho

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It wouldd be nice if the eshop put fate/extella up for sale. This is onepiece on the wiiu all over again. Has a digital only release then they dont even bother puttinf it up on the shop

hirokazu

I don't think being region free had any bearing on this. They were region locked so they could discriminate on price, not to prevent hacking.
A lot of people justified hacking their 3DSes to get region-free. It’s possible Nintendo made the choice to remove region-locking partially so that’s no longer an incentive.
:<

Hi Australia GAF. I didn't want to start a new thread and couldn't find a better one to ask this in, but I'm going to Sydney in a couple months for work for about a week and might actually have some free time to explore the city.

Any suggestions for things I can (relatively) easily see/do in an evening or for maybe one weekend day I have to myself?

Never been to Australia and am from the U.S.

Recreat3

Hi Australia GAF. I didn't want to start a new thread and couldn't find a better one to ask this in, but I'm going to Sydney in a couple months for work for about a week and might actually have some free time to explore the city.

Any suggestions for things I can (relatively) easily see/do in an evening or for maybe one weekend day I have to myself?

Welcome to sydaneyyy. Catch ferry from circular quay to manly. Good views of the opera house and harbour bridge. Check out the rocks. Go to newtown for all kinds of food. Damn its hard suggesting touristy things when you live in this city!

Rezbit

They've got a pretty nice zoo, with bonus great views.

Kritz

Banned

The powerhouse museum is pretty f'n rad.

I mean, it's no MONA. But if you like mechanical sciency stuff, it's good.

Are there any ways to keep tabs on Snes Classic pre-orders across stores? EB and JB don't even have it listed anymore. I was never able to get the NES Classic because as soon as I saw a store had them they'd sell out nearly instantly. I really wanna get this one for my Niece.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If anyone grabbed the open D2 beta on PS4 and wants to try a strike or whatever those modes are, Let me know.

I played through the main mission and it seemed ok. Might spend another hr or so messing around with the game.

I can't see myself buying it on console at all though, PC for sure if the game still interests me by the time it comes out.

If anyone grabbed the open D2 beta on PS4 and wants to try a strike or whatever those modes are, Let me know.

I played through the main mission and it seemed ok. Might spend another hr or so messing around with the game.

I can't see myself buying it on console at all though, PC for sure if the game still interests me by the time it comes out.
I'm in the PS4 beta, let me know what times you're free. I should be on tonight and tomorrow morning if I'm not coughing up a lung too much.

bomma_man

Why does the paint roller feel like cheat mode in Splatoon 2? You always seem to just crush it every time you play that class.

From memory everyone thought they were OP when the original came out too, but it quickly balanced out. Good roller players are really good though (and inevitably Japanese).

I noticed that my employer's super contribution changes dramatically week to week for no apparent reason. Some weeks none is mentioned in my payslip, some weeks double is, but there isn't a pattern to it or a connection to my pay for the week. Is this normal?

Anyone ordered something like a GPU from Amazon US? Are their delivery estimates (July 31st - August 4th) usually accurate?

I have ordered two video cards from Amazon USA, delivered to Hobart. They both arrived ahead of their estimated arrival time. This has also happened with one or two other items I've ordered from Amazon, but not all of them. This is obviously anecdotal, but they appear conservative with international shipping times to account for potential delays.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Over 40% of over 65s playing videogames surprises me.

When I worked at EB there was this sweet elderly couple in their seventies who would come in to buy games and they were super into JRPGs

I noticed that my employer's super contribution changes dramatically week to week for no apparent reason. Some weeks none is mentioned in my payslip, some weeks double is, but there isn't a pattern to it or a connection to my pay for the week. Is this normal?
I think it can depend on how often they deposit it to your super? Mine is every fortnight like clockwork but then my wife apparently has hers deposited every month or so instead. Seems like an easy way for a company to hold extra cash in their reserves for a bit of extra time, which would probably add up to quite a lot if they're a decent sized operation.

At the end of the day as long as it equates to the guaranteed 9.5% of your income (or more if your EBA defines it) then all should be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom