• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Oh well. (unless you know how the game ends, don't open this)
Filled up the Lordvessel with all Lord Souls.

The Catacombs, the Tomb, the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were all really shitty locations to be honest. Glad to be over that slump. New Londo was... decent. The idea behind the Four Kings fight is really cool. Valley of Drakes was... lol. I really loved the design of the Painted World of Ariamis, though they certainly could've found a more interesting common enemy than fucking Hollows. All the new enemies make up for it though (and I hate, hate, hate the fact that the fuckers on wheels are back somehow). Spared Priscilla because I'm planning on getting the good ending and killing her felt needlessly cruel after she gives you a peaceful way out, and knowing her backstory. :c

The Great Hollow and Ash Lake are still really cool to be honest.

Should I finally move on with the DLC? Don't think I have any other bosses left, bar Priscilla (and Gwyn, of course). SL77, I believe.

I mostly agree except Ceaseless Discharge and Iron Golem.

The risk of fall is the only way the Golem fight is even challenging, otherwise no one would ever die. Having to be wary of the space is a fine way to add a bit of challenge and vary the encounters.

Ceaseless Discharge is a non-issue. You don't need to fight him in that narrow corridor at all. I always fight him in the open, baiting his arm slamming down and you got tons of space to move around.

You both know you can cheese him...right?

Weird- Ceaseless Discharge, Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon were all really easy for me.

For CD, the easiest way to defeat it is to make it do the arm slam on a particular side and then dodge it towards the other side, hack a few times, repeat.

(DLC) Defeated
Artorias.
Wonderful fight.

Oolacile Township
could be one of my favorite areas so far in terms of level design.
I love how labyrinthine it is! I think I have, like, four different pathways I can follow right now. Pretty crazy.
Oolacile Sanctuary
is beautiful as well.

Who the fuck designed
Chasm of the Abyss, shit is fucking terrifying.

Thematically, the Abyss stripping its victims down to a mix of humanity and Dark sorcery is really intriguing also, especially if these floating silhoulettes are the very source of "hard" Humanity- if that's true, the Chosen Undead has been using the forces of Dark to prolong the Age of Fire.

The boss seems hard as balls too, with a much longer (and more dangerous) trek compared to Artorias. Hope there's a better bonfire- I did find the shortcut, so I might use the first Oolacile Township bonfire.

Davey Cakes

I didn't even discover The Great Hollow and Ash Lake until my New Game+ and even then it was only because my friends hinted at their existence. To be honest I was actually kind of pissed when I finally uncovered these areas because I felt like it was stupid to "hide" chunks of the game.

Of course, up to that point I was already impressed with the scale of DS. The world continually surprised me with its massiveness but then it just kept adding and adding more areas as I explored the environments. Impressive work by From Software, through and through.

74 hours and 14 minutes.

What an absolutely, utterly wonderful game.

I regret nothing (except using black pyromancy on the final boss, shit's OP as fuck)

Would never do it again though. (The very thought of NG+ O&S is nightmare material)

Edit: Shoutout to my closest allies Black Iron Tarkus and Wikidot (I did NOT find The Great Hollow or the Chaos Servant covenant or Pyromancy ascension myself, lol)

Davey Cakes

I always cheese Cealess Discharge.
I've heard about "cheesing" that boss but honestly, it was a pretty damn easy boss for me as a power build. With enough defense I could let it hit me with fire a couple of times before having to roll away and recover. Very much a rinse and repeat battle. Power swings and letting it hit me. Boom, done.

I've heard about "cheesing" that boss but honestly, it was a pretty damn easy boss for me as a power build. With enough defense I could let it hit me with fire a couple of times before having to roll away and recover. Very much a rinse and repeat battle. Power swings and letting it hit me. Boom, done.

He's not difficult later in the game, but he'd be tough if you fought him directly after Quelagg usually. Cheese hands you 20k souls pretty early in the game.

Farks!

I've just beaten Nito; should my priority now be to level up my character or or improve/get new equipment? These are my current stats. I'm currently rocking the Man-serpent Greatsword +10 (after previous advice from GAF) and it seems to be working out rather well, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm also carrying the Black Knight Halberd, Black Knight Greataxe and Silver Knight Str. Sword but I need to upgrade my stats (and the weapons in question) in order to wield them effectively. As you can see, I have 69k souls to spend. Maybe split between equipment stuff and leveling up?

While I'm at it, I might as well say I'm doing my best to go through this game as blind as possible. But I feel like I have to make an exception when it comes to equipment and upgrades; the game itself doesn't provide a whole lot of info about how it works and I don't want to waste souls and valuable resources on bad choices. Or am I missing something and just being overly paranoid about making mistakes? Regardless, that's my only major criticism for an otherwise excellent game.

You're not really being paranoid, higher resources materials are quite scarce, but you can't really make any bad choices, the main upgrade paths are very straight forward.
Shards and large shards can easily be farmed or bought, but anything past that, make sure you definately want to use them as farming chunks can be time consuming.

I would upgrade your weapon asap as a priority, but in order to do that you might end up losing your souls, so I would spend them on leveling up, upgrading weapons is pretty cheap. Unless you already have the
very large ember
, in which case get that MSS to +15 asap! A fine weapon choice btw!

I've just beaten Nito; should my priority now be to level up my character or or improve/get new equipment? These are my current stats. I'm currently rocking the Man-serpent Greatsword +10 (after previous advice from GAF) and it seems to be working out rather well, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm also carrying the Black Knight Halberd, Black Knight Greataxe and Silver Knight Str. Sword but I need to upgrade my stats (and the weapons in question) in order to wield them effectively. As you can see, I have 69k souls to spend. Maybe split between equipment stuff and leveling up?

While I'm at it, I might as well say I'm doing my best to go through this game as blind as possible. But I feel like I have to make an exception when it comes to equipment and upgrades; the game itself doesn't provide a whole lot of info about how it works and I don't want to waste souls and valuable resources on bad choices. Or am I missing something and just being overly paranoid about making mistakes? Regardless, that's my only major criticism for an otherwise excellent game.

I believe I did Nito
as the third Lord Soul,
so leveling up cost me a lot of souls at that point in the game, don't recall my SL. I had a Dex/Pyro build though, so I used most of the souls I got from bosses on upgrading my Flame. But I'd say level up, weapon upgrading is relatively cheap.

DS3 was on sale for 30 at Walmart so finally bought it. Got to the birds area like the game so far. It's different than ds1 though. Feels different.

Farks!

One of the easier bosses, especially with how late in the game he appears

Yeah, I figured as much. All I had to do was to run up to him and hack away, his breathing attack was barley hitting me and I could easily stop and heal and then just continue trashing away at him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I figured as much. All I had to do was to run up to him and hack away, his breathing attack was barley hitting me and I could easily stop and heal and then just continue trashing away at him.
That's the problem with most bosses in Dark Souls, tbh. Up to 20 Estus + poise means you can just button mash, heal sometimes, and win.

One of the reasons I am glad they nerfed, and even got rid, of poise, in later games.

Farks!

Just fought and beat
Ceaseless Discharge
. Probably the only boss battle so far I didn't like. Camera problems in combination with hitbox problems. But I discovered a way too cheese him by standing inside the little canyon, luring him to attack me inside it, dodging the attack and then attack his tentacle thing... which was clipping through the terrain. Normally I would feel bad about doing it, but fuck this particular boss.

Just fought and beat
Ceaseless Discharge
. Probably the only boss battle so far I didn't like. Camera problems in combination with hitbox problems. But I discovered a way too cheese him by standing inside the little canyon, luring him to attack me inside it, dodging the attack and then attack his tentacle thing... which was clipping through the terrain. Normally I would feel bad about doing it, but fuck this particular boss.
He can be rough when you first face him, it seems like you can never get out of the way of his attacks.

There is a legitimate 'cheese' built in the game - When you snatch the armour set and he awakens, run back to the fog gate and he follows you, he will slam down his fist in front of you and stay like that - you can then hit the fist, with anything even a bare fist, 5 or 6 times and he will fall to his death. Quite unique I think in terms of bosses in the series, can't think of a similar event off the top of my head.

Farks!

So I've beaten
Centipede Demon
and now I'm trying to get to Lost Izalith. Are you just supposed to just tank/minimize the damage from the lava or am I missing something? I've tried wearing the Gold-Hemmed Black Set and the Flame Stoneplate Ring, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Any hints that could help me?

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
Just fought and beat
Ceaseless Discharge

As Red Liquorice said, there's another full-blown cheese method for that boss. So what you did was like a proper fight in comparison to that!

Farks!

Bed of Chaos
taken care of. I'm gonna do the DLC now, SL 75 should be more than enough for that right? After that I'm planning to head for
The Abyss

FaintDeftone

Is it possible to use something like Cheat Engine or a trainer on the PC version for exploration reasons as long as I do it offline? I don't want to get myself banned for it. I played through the whole game legit on PS3 and I would love to screw around in the PC version while in offline mode.

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
You're completely safe to mess around in Dark Souls 1. There is no ban/ softban system in place. If you take it online though and you have illegitimate stats/ gear, players using PvP Watchdog may be able to detect it and will be given the option to boot you from their game. But other than that, nothing will happen to you.

Farks!

Artorias
down!

Quite the wake up call in terms of difficulty. I feel like all the bosses after O&S in the base game (that I've fought so far) were surprisingly easy. But
Artorias
really gave me something to chew on and was a lot of fun as well! One of the main complaints I've heard about DS2 is that there are too many bosses that are "dudes in armour", but that sounds like a good thing to me. The best bosses in DS1, so far, has been humanoids.

Also, I upgraded my Man-Serpent Greatsword to +15!

Artorias
down!

Quite the wake up call in terms of difficulty. I feel like all the bosses after O&S in the base game (that I've fought so far) were surprisingly easy. But
Artorias
really gave me something to chew on and was a lot of fun as well! One of the main complaints I've heard about DS2 is that there are too many bosses that are "dudes in armour", but that sounds like a good thing to me. The best bosses in DS1, so far, has been humanoids.

Also, I upgraded my Man-Serpent Greatsword to +15!

It's kind of a symptom of Dark Souls II having a ridiculous number of boss fights, especially with the DLC. Some are decently creative (Looking Glass Knight), some are just kind of a pain but not too bad (Smelter Knight), some are a huge problem with Dark Souls II (Ruin Sentinels). They're not exactly bad in design and concept, but Dark Souls II suffers from some janky hitboxes and ridiculous numbers of active frames on boss attacks, so you'll get hit and take damage even when the boss's weapon seems to be completely stationary.

Dark Souls III actually ends up having a problem where all of its humanoid bosses but one (
Abyss Watchers
) are basically the same fight (
Pontiff, Dancer, Dragonslayer, one of the final boss's phases
). Strafe to their left so their right-handed attacks either don't reach you or you can easily roll around them, and their left-handed attacks go clear over your head. And even then the challenge comes not from timing your dodges, but figuring out when the hell you can attack because the bosses will frequently use combos whose ending point can vary according to no particularly discernible factors.

1 King

ARUwXe7.jpg
Sauce

Top Bottom