• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution |OT| Azure Arbitrators

cireza

Is there any way to recover lost terrain ?

I lost half of Ipseria because the game threw three battles at me at the same time.
Look at the "war jauge (red/blue)" when selecting free missions, it helps you realize the urgency of going somewhere.

SephLuis

There is at least one boss that is pretty much broken in terms of design, where you literally can't point the camera high enough to hit it. You'll know it when you see it.

I just fought this boss
the flying whale tank
and it is broken. Though, I did managed to hit a few times with regular attacks even while it was flying. Hit detection was certainly off on this.

Look at the "war jauge (red/blue)" when selecting free missions, it helps you realize the urgency of going somewhere.

I did, however, there were three missions with 50-50% gauge.
I did one and the other two stated 70-30% and 60-40% for the Empire. I did the 70-30% one and then the other one was lost. Now Ipseria is half red and I don't know how to fix that.

RiZ III

hgGsLEG.jpg

Her breasts are not big enough.

Her breasts are not big enough.
Even though Raita didn't do the character designs for this game his will still lives on! And talking about Raita, he really should do more video games. I love how he designs gear and vehicles and I think he would be perfect for making the gear of a hunting game.

Bog

Junior Ace
And let me guess, by not buying this, Sega will think we don't want true VC titles and the series will die. Great.

CazTGG

And let me guess, by not buying this, Sega will think we don't want true VC titles and the series will die. Great.

Doubt it: Not only was this game in development before the the PC release of Valkyria Chronicles, but VC on PC sold incredibly well so they know there's a demand for the main series. The more likely result is that, with the failure of this title both critically and commercially, this game will mark the end of Media.Vision's involvement with the series, spin-off or otherwise.

Doubt it: Not only was this game in development before the the PC release of Valkyria Chronicles, but VC on PC sold incredibly well so they know there's a demand for the main series. The more likely result is that, with the failure of this title both critically and commercially, this game will mark the end of Media.Vision's involvement with the series, spin-off or otherwise.

Who picks up the sword then? Because for everything that matters, Media.Vision is the studio that's been working on this IP the longest and survived. VC1's dev team got balkanized after the game bombed, and VC2 became a mess as a result of being made top-to-bottom by contractors with no real direction guiding the game's development.

And if Media.Vision gets taken off the franchise, it'll be Sega suits again refusing to take responsibility for their very real and tangible role in how Azure Revolution turned out by forcing Media.Vision to make a public demo of a build that should never have been visible outside of Closed Doors.

Nyoro SF

Media Vision shouldn't take any blame. They were directed to make a PS4 spinoff using the Shining engine as a base. The reason why Sega went with this strategy was because it paid off in the past with Media Vision using VC2's engine to create VC3, so they went with the same method again.

Platform choices, budget slashings, and demo release timings are choices made by the producer. The blame is almost entirely on Sega. Don't get me wrong, they could be petty and cut Media Vision out of the equation for future games, but that would be a rather stupid thing to do.

Quonny

So, in about 90 minutes of play time I've had maybe 4 minutes of gameplay, and it was solely combat.

And those 86 minutes of non-gameplay were so damn boring.

Wew this game sucks. Sending it back first thing in the morning.

SephLuis

Media Vision shouldn't take any blame. They were directed to make a PS4 spinoff using the Shining engine as a base. The reason why Sega went with this strategy was because it paid off in the past with Media Vision using VC2's engine to create VC3, so they went with the same method again.

Platform choices, budget slashings, and demo release timings are choices made by the producer. The blame is almost entirely on Sega. Don't get me wrong, they could be petty and cut Media Vision out of the equation for future games, but that would be a rather stupid thing to do.

While people like to shit on the game, I still think they deserve to do a Revolution 2 game just to see the potential realized. If after that, they turn another dud, then I would have no complaints about killing it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to defeat (chapter 2 spoiler)
Maxim? He just constantly blocks everything. How do I break his guard?

Also my squad leader died and I was switched to a new character. Is there a way to swap back? That would be incredibly useful in combat since ordering people around kind of sucks.

Yea, haven't touched the game since it arrived on Monday and I'm going to return it. I've not seen any better impressions on the game and even watching the footage of the localized version hasn't helped (the cheaped out animation makes me cringe). I really do like the music though...I just can't support this one overall.

Pantz

Also my squad leader died and I was switched to a new character. Is there a way to swap back? That would be incredibly useful in combat since ordering people around kind of sucks.

Push up/down on d-pad to switch characters. Use grenades/rockets and magic. Just switch characters and spam all you have. You can set up characters to conserve ammo before the battle in different ways with strategies. Buy items to restore health and RP so you can keep using magic. If all else fails, you may need to do more free missions to level up.

Push up/down on d-pad to switch characters. Use grenades/rockets and magic. Just switch characters and spam all you have. You can set up characters to conserve ammo before the battle in different ways with strategies. Buy items to restore health and RP so you can keep using magic. If all else fails, you may need to do more free missions to level up.

This is great. Thanks! I managed to beat it by getting him stuck between all my party and just hammering on him forever.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The story is even somewhat decent, though not great. The game's primary issues so far are 1) it's too easy, 2) too many cutscenes and they're all way too long, and 3) now loading.

SephLuis

Buff your characters and try to attack him from behind.

Once you notice an attack hits (that deals damage instead of BLOCK) you spam every special attack you have. If the tide of the battle is completely to your favor, you can attack non-stop.

It's easier to do that after he attacks.

SkylineRKR

I have this game because I could get it at a very low price, but I just recommend to stick with Valkyria Chronicles Remaster and pray for a VC3 port or VC4. This game isn't good and it almost feels like Revolution was made first, and then VC was its next-gen sequel.

Its not that I entirely hate Revolution. I sort of like the mindless Musou x ATB combat. I also think the soundtrack is amazing. The story is sort of interesting during the first few hours at least, though the cutscenes itself are boring because of almost no animations. The style is good, but the graphics themselves are shit. This game is in dire need of AA and should've run at 60fps.

Pretty much agree with that in my first couple of hours.

That's a good point, I like the style but graphics are too cheap, even just some animation would have added extra life to the cutscenes since some of the story stuff is kind of interesting.
Also, the soundtrack has been fantastic.

Even though Raita didn't do the character designs for this game his will still lives on! And talking about Raita, he really should do more video games. I love how he designs gear and vehicles and I think he would be perfect for making the gear of a hunting game.

Yep.
I'd love to see it.

SephLuis

Its not that I entirely hate Revolution. I sort of like the mindless Musou x ATB combat.

I have to ask about how people are playing this and how are their rankings in each mission.

I mean, are you just going to each enemy mashing X until the mission is over ?

So, in about 90 minutes of play time I've had maybe 4 minutes of gameplay, and it was solely combat.

And those 86 minutes of non-gameplay were so damn boring.

Wew this game sucks. Sending it back first thing in the morning.

This is exactly what happened to me. 20 minutes of cutscene, 5 minutes of tutorial, 45 minutes of cutscenes, another tutorial and i just got frustrated and sent it back.

A real shame, one thing i did like about the game was the way the clothes looked.

jackdoe

After getting through the prologue, I am fairly certain that this isn't a good game, but for $32 (after GCU discount), I don't feel like I got ripped off at all. And the story is engaging enough to hold my interest.

I'm about 6-7 hours in (working on a late review).
This game seriously needed an editor.
A lot of cut-scenes are unnecessary or out of order. I'm just now getting information that could have been better explained in the first hour.

Also, the dialogue is awful. There's a point where Basil THE TRAITOR* is working out a deal with weapon-suppliers. In a two minute conversation he manages to slide in five or so dick references. Loosely quoted: "Don't go limp on me now" "I'd bet my balls on it" "we'll be the ones getting bent over and screwed!" "Time to bring out the big guns" "catch the empire with its pants down" "packing some serious heat"

The squad-mates are entirely one-dimensional. You've got the guy who drinks a lot, bad pun woman, and a handful of others who try to outdumb themselves at every moment.

The professor/narrator uses the words "THE TRAITOR" like a last name when referring to Amleth, Violette, Basil, Solomon, and the other guy.
Basil The Traitor, Solomon The Traitor. It gets obnoxious after awhile.

The combat is fun, but the difficulty so far is all over the place. I've faced off against
Maxim
and
Death
so far. They've dealt quite a few ass-whoopings to my squad. Hell, at one point during the second fight, three of my squad-mates were down, and the only guy standing was at 3 HP. At least I managed to recover and win. Still, it's crazy how so many boss-attacks can straight up one-shot the heroes.

Pantz

The real question here...

Are they bigger than Ivy's?

Either way, she's got to be somewhere in the top 5 biggest boobs in gaming (non customized or sliders). This is a pretty historic occation.

Freddo

I'm so disappointed in this game.

Most of it is boring, thanks to the story being told in the worst possible way with dull cutscenes one after another, with some "ok" moments as best. But nothing stand out as good or impressive, even Mitsuda's soundtrack feels generic and bland.

The real question here...

Are they bigger than Ivy's?

Either way, she's got to be somewhere in the top 5 biggest boobs in gaming (non customized or sliders). This is a pretty historic occation.

Oh man, her boobs are even bigger than her head.
I mean, when they can manage to turn off a perv like me, you know the character designer screwed up.

SephLuis

The combat is fun, but the difficulty so far is all over the place. I've faced off against
Maxim
and
Death
so far. They've dealt quite a few ass-whoopings to my squad. Hell, at one point during the second fight, three of my squad-mates were down, and the only guy standing was at 3 HP. At least I managed to recover and win. Still, it's crazy how so many boss-attacks can straight up one-shot the heroes.

As I just did my last fight with him, let me say, prepare well or else it will be a long, long and boring fight.

Bring your earth ragnite and abuse it on him. Also, you get some shock ragnite later on that will work wonders. He didn't stand a chance in this last fight against me and the time before that he was a pain in the ass.

Z3M0G

Good lord... I still have a lingering interest in this game so decided to check how this thread is going...

...ouch. Has anyone stuck with it? Anyone finish it and have anything positive to say at all? Other than the score and smoke filter?

They should have let the whole game be in the smoke filter.

Cropped screens:

Tell me that doesn't look cool.

Does it also look cool on Vita?

SephLuis

Good lord... I still have a lingering interest in this game so decided to check how this thread is going...

...ouch. Has anyone stuck with it? Anyone finish it and have anything positive to say at all? Other than the score and smoke filter?

I did write a review for it, but it's in brazilian portuguese.

I liked the game enough to finish it's story, but it's a case of wasted potential mixed with some very bad design and technical choices.

The story is interesting and it kept me hooked from the beginning of the game, however, the ways it's told it's really bad. Butchered scenes, bad animation, horrible cinematic direction and many other issues that really undermine the story.

The gameplay is a mid-term between action and strategy, however, the game is so easy that it never encourages the player to use the strategy part (abilities, weaknesses and so on) that makes the game fun. You can finish any mission by only pressing X on repeat, which makes things boring.

For the strategy part of it, you can use armaments (rifles, missiles, grenades) or Ragnites (special abilities) to abuse enemies weaknesses or make the battle turn in your favor.

An example I gave in my review was the shock trooper, which is a unit with a high melee defense and life, which means it takes a long while to defeat it with normal attacks. However this unit is weak to water Ragnite and some of these can freeze him. You can follow-up with a thunder Ragnite so the electric current does more damage because of his armor. You can use a smoke grenade and blind him, which leads to him feeling fear, which leads to a drastic drop in defense. You can aim guns at his head which is another weak point. And so on.

However, as I said before, the game doesn't encourage this and the enemy variety isn't big. Even worse is that enemy positioning also doesn't encourage strategy.

Getting a good rank is all about killing a lot of enemies in the shortest amount of time, so I believe then strategy becomes a necessity if you want a high rank. Other than that, it depends on you to use it.

The battle system really gets problematic against some bosses that are true sponges for damage and they put all the issues with the battle system on a pedestal. They are long, repetitive (as in, there's only one or two strategies that are viable instead of something that evolves) and boring.

Sega, at least, had the decency of selling this for $40 and I do hope they get another shot at this because of the wasted potential. If you're in doubt, I would recommend only if you can find it for $20 or less.

Z3M0G

I did write a review for it, but it's in brazilian portuguese.

I liked the game enough to finish it's story, but it's a case of wasted potential mixed with some very bad design and technical choices.

The story is interesting and it kept me hooked from the beginning of the game, however, the ways it's told it's really bad. Butchered scenes, bad animation, horrible cinematic direction and many other issues that really undermine the story.

The gameplay is a mid-term between action and strategy, however, the game is so easy that it never encourages the player to use the strategy part (abilities, weaknesses and so on) that makes the game fun. You can finish any mission by only pressing X on repeat, which makes things boring.

For the strategy part of it, you can use armaments (rifles, missiles, grenades) or Ragnites (special abilities) to abuse enemies weaknesses or make the battle turn in your favor.

An example I gave in my review was the shock trooper, which is a unit with a high melee defense and life, which means it takes a long while to defeat it with normal attacks. However this unit is weak to water Ragnite and some of these can freeze him. You can follow-up with a thunder Ragnite so the electric current does more damage because of his armor. You can use a smoke grenade and blind him, which leads to him feeling fear, which leads to a drastic drop in defense. You can aim guns at his head which is another weak point. And so on.

However, as I said before, the game doesn't encourage this and the enemy variety isn't big. Even worse is that enemy positioning also doesn't encourage strategy.

Getting a good rank is all about killing a lot of enemies in the shortest amount of time, so I believe then strategy becomes a necessity if you want a high rank. Other than that, it depends on you to use it.

The battle system really gets problematic against some bosses that are true sponges for damage and they put all the issues with the battle system on a pedestal. They are long, repetitive (as in, there's only one or two strategies that are viable instead of something that evolves) and boring.

Sega, at least, had the decency of selling this for $40 and I do hope they get another shot at this because of the wasted potential. If you're in doubt, I would recommend only if you can find it for $20 or less.

Thank you for that. I'm wondering if the cutscene issues would bother me since I know this is a Vita game ported to PS4, but I'd play it on Vita anyways.

A review I watched yesterday basically called it a Musou game with VC gameplay elements sprinkled in... and that is sounding like a very accurate statement. And I don't like Musou games.

Everything is telling me to stay far far away from this... I'm so starved for a new GOOD JRPG for Vita...

Nyoro SF

Thank you for that. I'm wondering if the cutscene issues would bother me since I know this is a Vita game ported to PS4, but I'd play it on Vita anyways.

A review I watched yesterday basically called it a Musou game with VC gameplay elements sprinkled in... and that is sounding like a very accurate statement. And I don't like Musou games.

Everything is telling me to stay far far away from this... I'm so starved for a new GOOD JRPG for Vita...

Tokyo Xanadu.

Anyone calling this a musou game must not be a fan of musou.

I'm at chapter 8 and I just had a dog of a fight with a flying tank. It's one of the worst encounters I've seen in a videogame.

The game is mostly easy, but also really unbalanced. The bosses are huge HP sinks or they're capable of one-shotting the heroes. The regular foes are mostly fodder, but if an axe-wielder becomes enraged, then they can one-shot people easily. Getting knocked out isn't too bad, since there are four party-members and plenty of time to revive them (with a button-press no less). The whole everything or nothing aspect is just a bad idea all around.

Still, it's kinda entertaining. The ragnites (spells) and sub-weapon usage keep things interesting. Obtaining/maintaining territory is a pain in the ass. I'm always on the defensive, so I can never expand my land and get better crafting items.

The story-telling is just awful. There is a rather compelling plot, but it's buried under heaps of garbage. The cutscenes are frequent, poorly-directed, and sometimes just outright unnecessary. There are a ton of loading screens, which are always fun.

Everything is stupid.
Major spoilers ahead so fair warning.
Godot, one of the few characters with any agency or relevance to the story, is killed off saving main character Amleth, who catches a severe case of the dumbs only inches away from his most dangerous adversary. Godot is replaced by his sister Miranda. Her sole purpose in the story is to give her brother's notebook to Princess Ophelia. Otherwise she's Godot, only younger, prettier, and has an upskirt view when she runs through the battlefield.

At one point, there's a joke involving Violette's measurements. It takes like 6 cutscenes to tell. Coupled with the loading screens, it's just obnoxiously stupid.

I'm not even a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles (never finished part 1, let alone the sequels) but this game is a mountain of bad ideas.

SephLuis

Everything is stupid.
Major spoilers ahead so fair warning.
Godot, one of the few characters with any agency or relevance to the story, is killed off saving main character Amleth, who catches a severe case of the dumbs only inches away from his most dangerous adversary. Godot is replaced by his sister Miranda. Her sole purpose in the story is to give her brother's notebook to Princess Ophelia. Otherwise she's Godot, only younger, prettier, and has an upskirt view when she runs through the battlefield.

At one point, there's a joke involving Violette's measurements. It takes like 6 cutscenes to tell. Coupled with the loading screens, it's just obnoxiously stupid.

They explain why he stopped and I think it's a fair reason.
What is really stupid is him taking the attack. And he has a big shield on his right arm.

They explain why he stopped and I think it's a fair reason.
What is really stupid is him taking the attack. And he has a big shield on his right arm.
That's the thing, I actually like his arc. In the right context, I think his death would have worked. Also, it'd be sensible if he actually tried to block the attack, but it just cut right through his shield (and him).

Instead, it's some Saturday morning crap that makes everybody look ridiculous.

CazTGG

So I finally looked up some of the reviews proper having completed my own and I have to say: They were pretty damn lenient in regards to this atrocity of a title. Revolution is by far the worst game to bear the Valkyria name, spinoff or otherwise, a truly miserable, patience-testing trudge of a game whose sole redeeming factor can be enjoyed without suffering through one of the year's most atrocious offerings. In short: It should be avoided by even the most diehard of Valkyria fans.

The review in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46d4xpF-8n0

Eh, at least Musou have the satisfaction of mowing down hordes of grunts. This game doesn't even have that going for it.

SephLuis

That's the thing, I actually like his arc. In the right context, I think his death would have worked. Also, it'd be sensible if he actually tried to block the attack, but it just cut right through his shield (and him).

Instead, it's some Saturday morning crap that makes everybody look ridiculous.

I agree. I mentioned in my review that the game sabotages itself in many, many ways. This is just one.

If I made a video detailing every little error within the game's story, it would probably become a movie on it's own. Which is a shame because the story had potential of being legit good.

Avallon

Wow, there is an absurd amount of hate for this game. I finished Persona and was really excited to start this game, despite the negative reception. I'm actually really enjoying it. I can't be the only one, right? I'm on Chapter 3.

CEJames

Wow, there is an absurd amount of hate for this game. I finished Persona and was really excited to start this game, despite the negative reception. I'm actually really enjoying it. I can't be the only one, right? I'm on Chapter 3.

Just finished it myself. I'm going to put this here and hope some people consider it when wanting to try the game out.

My history with the franchise.
Let me start off by saying that I'm not a "true" fan of this series that has played VC 1, 2, and 3. I only just recently played VC 1(remastered) a few months ago but I liked it. However, I can say that the combat pacing for me was slow, and especially so with trying to go for the platinum which I did achieve. The story for the game was decent and had an emotional touch to it which made it beautiful.

Gameplay.
Then I saw that they were making this game and it was more action/fast paced with a less strategic direction. I can understand that strategy fans would be disappointed in the direction of this game's gameplay but I'd say fans of games like Dynasty Warriors wouldn't mind it at all. Now, starting off, the combat is really simplistic 1 button press to win type game and I believe many were immediately turned off by that. However, as you continue and begin upgrading the character's weapons, you get more access to different magic/secondary weapons and then it starts getting fun. I loved the amount of ways you could take out a platoon of enemies by the end of the game with flashy animations and powerful magic. Another thing to note is that the game had elements from the original for strategic elements but were practically useless in the end, like grass you can hide in and barricades you could duck under to avoid fire, yet you can just guard while running at an enemy. However, I did like the use of causing the enemy to become fearful, disoriented, and even tries to run away when you throw a smoke grenade to break up their formation.
I honestly might make a youtube video of my endgame level 70 characters with max weapons/magic. From that statement, yes, I just achieved the platinum for this game as well and immediately came to my computer to write this review.

Story.
All I have to say is that the effort that went into the storytelling is absolutely amazing. This game's story completely outdoes VC1's story in my opinion. The point of view that it is being told from is after everything has already happened( about 100 years into the future). It has a similar premise with VC1, where a small country ends up defying/destroying a much bigger nation. The story's strength isn't in its originality or plot twists or anything. The strength is in how its meticulously told from practically every point of view, from allies & enemies alike. It won't make you feel like there are any plot holes at all throughout your playthrough, but it managed to have 1 or 2, involving the Valkyria & the princess unless I missed something. And then there are the emotional touches to it accompanied by such an amazing soundtrack, I couldn't bring myself to criticize/hate the developers effort, despite the lackluster body/facial movement animations. (And it's disappointing because it they definitely put more budget in getting that right, then everything about the story would be perfect, in my opinion). Everyone seems to complain about the long cutscenes (due to some to most being poorly animated) but that is woefully subjective, because I loved them and found a few like-minded souls that like them as well, so consider that anecdotal evidence. I guess you can say I tolerated them because I was loving the overall story and wanted to see it through to the end.

Difficulty
The game only has 2 difficulties on the first playthrough; Easy & Normal. The people complaining about how easy the game is might've been on Easy or never played past chapter 4 or 5 on Normal( which you can actually tell from the trophy achievement list. The 2nd story trophy which is literally in the beginning (about Chapter 1 or 2 I believe) has 91.2% of achieving it. But then the 3rd one (out of 5 story trophies total) only has a 20.6% achieved percentage that is acquired in Chapter 6 or 7. That's a massive 70% drop off of players that probably complained but never even finished it. Anyway, the game does start off piss easy with little variation but it's crazy how the story spikes from chapter 6 onward. I found the bosses annoyingly satisfying because you had to go through a whole stage first fighting enemies without saving, while conserving your items/ammo/mana, and then take on the boss which at times I found myself running out of ammo and items to replenish my mana.

Characters
The game has less overall characters than VC1 but the character development for each one was really good for me. However, they didn't put any(or very few) of the quirky get-to-know-your-characters development scenes in the actual story or else it would have been even longer.
Those scenes were reserved for the free fully voiced DLC they slowly released over the course of a few weeks. Some of them actually did have really good body/facial animations and others still suffered from lack thereof but the voice actors did a great job with them though. However, they did have some some non-voiced group sessions (officially called "Circles") where your characters talked about various things like love, patriotism, art, family, weapons, childhood, fashion, jobs, food, and books. I'm not lying when I say that I really knew the characters by the end of my first playthrough. And in a way, they make you have to use all of the characters because that's the only way to get the secret ending :)

(Pros)
- A very well written story
- Excellent art direction
- A amazing composed Soundtrack
- Combat that's not as bad as you expect but also not as great as you think. (It's both a pro and a con. Fun but not really strategic in a sense)
- Trying something new and should consider keeping it like it is but with a bigger budget.

(Cons)
- Jarring animations at times.
- Loading screens that should of been cut for the PS4 and Xbox versions of the game
- Slow start for the story
- Combat that's not as bad as you expect but also not as great as you think. (It's both a pro and a con. Fun but not really strategic in a sense)
- Some odd pauses between lines in earlier cutscenes.

Last thing for me to say is reiterating the need to take all criticisms/hatred for this game with a grain of salt. Some, if not most, may have some nostalgic rose-tinted glasses when going at this game. It's good, not great, but woefully undeserving of the hatred.

Nyoro SF

Don't mischaracterize people's criticisms as "hatred" or "rose-tinted goggles". Even as a suggestion. It's extremely rude and makes your own criticism look worthless. If you want to call something out as such, then you better point at something very specific.

Avallon

I'm up to chapter 5 now with all side stories unlocked in the notebook. I'm hooked. Cool gameplay loop. Combat is actually not bad. Definitely going for the platinum. Really finding the game much better/fun than reviews had led me to believe.

Amazon had this for $15 new the other day. Can I change the language at any time? I should've chose English so I can just do something else and still kinda listening during the loooooooooooooong cutscenes.

SheHateMe

Down to $13.88 at Amazon and free falling fast.

If it hits $10 I'm going to pick it up just because. I've spent $10 on worse.

I have this morbid curiosity to see how bad it really is.

Top Bottom