• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

V_Arnold

You know what, GAF? You know what? I WILL BE BACK! Just in time for this patch. Until D3 Loot 2.0 comes, it is POE-time, yo! I hope dat EU-Guild gets made!

I played an okay amount of PoE back before the Beta opened and I kept putting off finishing because I wanted to wait for new content to get added (more acts, etc). 1.0 and a Steam release is a perfect reason to start playing again.

Oh it was :)

For nostalgia, some of my shots from September 2011 :)
http://imgur.com/a/HqmaB#0
http://imgur.com/a/cqzxl
http://imgur.com/a/D9xfK#0
http://imgur.com/a/J8o1y#0

And some videos :)
Nice lags, because there wasnt EU gateway yet :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Y1urSPeqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34GJfNG42TE
-----------------------
HC Cruel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-u80JgTKaE
-------
My Ranger on Ruthless - dat Frenzy charges and Phase Walk imbalance :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqkIB4LcFw

Oh god, those pics remind me how close the camera used to be, it was awful. Much better now, although maybe a little more zoomed out would be ideal.

Quixzlizx

I haven't played for months, but I think I'll jump back in for 1.0. I hope the trigger gems end up being as cool as they sound.

Domination mode sounds really fun, but it's a four-month league? How does that work?

It's a fresh start where everyone will make new characters to live on this league for 4 months. At the end of the event, all the characters will be moved to the normal league. They're using these new 4 month leagues as a testing ground for adding in elements into game, like rogue exiles from the last league as well as points to mark major patches for balancing or add content.

The leagues themselves also come with a set of challenges that you can finish for a prize at the end from GGG, last event's prize was a T-shirt. Each league will have one or two unique challenges for that league only, so you'll need to play both to get the prize at the end of the event.

Syril

It's a fresh start where everyone will make new characters to live on this league for 4 months. At the end of the event, all the characters will be moved to the normal league. They're using these new 4 month leagues as a testing ground for adding in elements into game, like rogue exiles from the last league as well as points to mark major patches for balancing or add content.

So there's no way to play versions of these modes that aren't time-limited unless they add mechanics from them into the main game then?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Great OT. Looking at their website, the only thing that costs money is cosmetics/ingame perks? No classes/skills/zones locked behind paywall?

although you probably should know, you'll be buying stash tabs.

You get enough for one or two characters....but eventually everybody buys stash tabs.....

Domination mode sounds really fun, but it's a four-month league? How does that work?

It's a separate version of the game with different rules than the regular Standard or Hardcore leagues. In this case, Domination leagues feature shrines. After the four-month period, all characters are moved to its parent league - Standard if it's a softcore league, Hardcore if your character survived to the end of a Hardcore league (such as the upcoming Nemesis league).

So there's no way to play versions of these modes that aren't time-limited unless they add mechanics from them into the main game then?

Correct. The real draw of the new leagues is actually the fresh economy, so everyone gets to start on the same level.

Correct. If they end up liking the new elements in the new leagues, they'll add them to the main game like they did with Rogue exiles.

The leagues themselves also come with a set of challenges that you can finish for a prize at the end from GGG, last event's prize was a T-shirt. Each league will have one or two unique challenges for that league only, so you'll need to play both to get the prize at the end of the event.

Not to mention the economy is much more stable in these leagues since there isn't enough time for inflation and all that jazz to take effect.

edit: beaten.

Perkel

Banned
Yep starting new league is always like relaunching game. Everyone starts from 0. Economy is reset. No one has uber gear.

Thanks to that you can start game and be 1st at the end. Where in normal leagues you simply can't beat people who play 1 year already.

It is feature originally invented in Diablo 2 and what made that game so awesome and re playable

ttocs

I haven't played this in a while, I think I might pick it back up. I really enjoyed the hell out of it when the beta first came out.

KKRT00

Oh god, those pics remind me how close the camera used to be, it was awful. Much better now, although maybe a little more zoomed out would be ideal.

Actually problem with camera is bigger in 5:4 ratio. You can see on my videos that camera is further away in 720p.
The are hacks that enable camera tweaking, so why GGG do not implement it in game? ;\ at least for 5:4 users?

syko de4d

The leagues are the best to start with a friend or a community even if the game is already very old. Thats why D2 was played over 10years.

And GGG use the new Leagues as a mini Beta too, testing new stuff without the pressure to have it in the game forever.

So any ideas for Guild Names?

Valnen

Loot 3.0 with combat 0.5 =p.

That said, I can't wait to have this on Steam, this game deserves more exposure for being one of the best F2P games out there.

Bombless

Installed the game, launched. Kinda dissapointed you can't switch genders on classes.

Went with ranger, opened the passive skills screen and my mouth dropped. That's very impressive.

JWong

Banned
89 points to get Avatar of Fire, Eldritch Battery, and Mana shield.

Not bad. Since the build is all spread out, I have plenty of options to go from there.

Installed the game, launched. Kinda dissapointed you can't switch genders on classes

lol...

Great game, any ARPG fan should definitely give it a shot. If you were let down by D3 like most people were, you know those who want an in depth and well made game, then this will be right up your alley. Not to mention it's completely free and not pay 2 win in any aspect and they are constantly adding new content.

I played Onslaught on and off for the last 4 month league and finished @ rank 61/lvl 91. If any skilled players want to join a a great group of top 100 Onslaught players for the start of Nemesis, send me a PM. We'll be helping each other out to get to maps ASAP.

Celegus

I was wondering how the heck I've never heard of this GAF magazine before. Someone's got some nice graphic design skeelz, that looks incredible.

Decado

Anyone know what the best way to set up voice chat will be once 1.0 is released? I plan on playing in co-op with a friend, and getting voice chat to work with no lag tends to be a pain in the ass for a lot of games. We'll probably download the steam version.

syko de4d

Anyone know what the best way to set up voice chat will be once 1.0 is released? I plan on playing in co-op with a friend, and getting voice chat to work with no lag tends to be a pain in the ass for a lot of games. We'll probably download the steam version.

Steam Voice chat lags too? It works fine for me (i have only 1mbit) if you are only two people.

Brannon

Slowly plodding through with a Dex ranger focused on evasion until 1500, then armor in hardcore. She's not dead yet!

oneils

Great OT. Haven't played in a while, I might hop back in once I'm done with GTA Online. Glad to see it on steam.

Zeth

I play(ed) HC but I'm such a loner in game, need to do more group play since it's so good. Even mapped by myself which led to some poor outcomes on a few characters. But I guess we'll just wait for the actual launch and form a guild from there.

Definitely excited for Steam launch now.

Is it confirmed that the previous acts will get new content too? One of the bad things about ARPGs in general is the repetitive nature, especially of races/laddering. I hope some new quests are added to Act I-III. I'd also love for them to randomly add minibosses to the game, for those who have beaten the game on normal. It would be cool ending a random room in the Chamber of Sin and being locked inside with some crazy boss-esque mob.

Is it confirmed that the previous acts will get new content too? One of the bad things about ARPGs in general is the repetitive nature, especially of races/laddering. I hope some new quests are added to Act I-III. I'd also love for them to randomly add minibosses to the game, for those who have beaten the game on normal. It would be cool ending a random room in the Chamber of Sin and being locked inside with some crazy boss-esque mob.

Some of the new monsters will be spread out into the other acts. Other monsters have had their abilities reworked. Also I do believe there is improvement happening for minibosses such as Fairgraves. But no word on new quests or areas in the earlier acts, unfortunately.

Zabant

I love Gaf Magazine but the damn publisher is always trying to get me to sign up for a bulk deal including Polygon Monthly and the Kotaku Digest....

KKRT00

They just want to make friends, especially the red ones.

Yep, they are famous for their hugging ability, they even buff You with -15% exp bonus on softcore after that ;)

---
Some of the new monsters will be spread out into the other acts. Other monsters have had their abilities reworked. Also I do believe there is improvement happening for minibosses such as Fairgraves. But no word on new quests or areas in the earlier acts, unfortunately.

Also new rare mobs and shrines will be added to every league the after those 4 months and this will change progression a lot - Exile + Shrines + Nemesis mod rare :p

LAMBO

Wait how will this new class work into the skill tree?? All three stats balanced?

Not Final, she's dead center

csR4r82.jpg

Top Bottom