• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As time goes on, I put more and more weight into day/night cycles because of it's contribution to immersion. The less things in the game world change, the more it feels like a game and less something I'm getting involved in.

Give me all the super-accurate tyre physics and how track temperature plays into that or whatever, but what's the point if it never changes? It then becomes the same track in the same conditions and there's no requirement to adapt. But race at night or early in the morning, you'll need to work the car's tyres in a little more to get heat in them for traction... you're shifting things up and forcing the player to learn and evolve and think.

You can do that without it needing to be real time. Just have multiple versions of each track with baked lighting for different times of day.

I don't particularly need to see an exaggerated sunset over the course of a 2-3 lap race

Shaneus

Isn't more always better?
Obviously, but I'm referring to whether you find there's more longevity in throwing more cars in a game or more tracks, given that FM4 never received any track DLC.

You can do that without it needing to be real time. Just have multiple versions of each track with baked lighting for different times of day.

I don't particularly need to see an exaggerated sunset over the course of a 2-3 lap race
Spot on, but with being baked requires more storage and effort to get each of the iterations looking decent. If they could pull off multiple versions of the same track (and it's different layouts) then it would go some way to still "feeling" like a dynamic track without actually being so. But I have a feeling it'll be half-arsed again and there'll be two or three tracks that have a dawn/afternoon or afternoon/dusk config and nothing more.

Xanadu

Banned
This idea that GT is a more serious experience. Where does that come from?

We do need that rivalry thread back so people can take that nonsense there.

I also think weather and night racing are not for hardcore players at all. One is largely just a visual change, after all. Its nice for setting variety but adds little to the core gameplay.

i'd guess because GT doesnt have football and bowling? doesnt have rewind or AUTO DRIVE, to me GT is a more serious experience, which i prefer but it does have it drawbacks too. and fucking lol at weather/night not adding to the gameplay, get a clue. how much do you want to be when dynamic time/weather is announced in forza 6 you shit a brick?

Forza Thread Bump!!!!!!!!

*left click*

So what new information are we talki...............

tumblr_m4vf2iBoKH1r5jt46o1_400.gif

p3tran

Banned
i'd guess because GT doesnt have football and bowling? doesnt have rewind or AUTO DRIVE, to me GT is a more serious experience, which i prefer but it does have it drawbacks too. and fucking lol at weather/night not adding to the gameplay, get a clue. how much do you want to be when dynamic time/weather is announced in forza 6 you shit a brick?
Like you shat a brick when day/night cycle was announced for horizon?
I do remember your comment being in the lines of "meh. People getting excited over a forza 1 feature"
:D
I agree with Sean.

nib95

Banned
I do remember your comment being in the lines of "meh. People getting excited over a forza 1 feature"
I agree with Sean.

Whilst day/night in F6 would be awesome, he is right. It would be kind of a, "wow, we're cheering for day/night in a 2015 game" moment. Kind of highlights just how far behind Team 10 are.

Xanadu

Banned
I agree with Sean.

lol i ripped on horizon because its not my type of game, night and weather dont have much of an effect in an arcade racer, and OFC they should have had night and weather long ago

tasos

I'm waiting two years. A fully-realised non-rushed Forza 6 with night and weather, Xbone for £200 and two years worth of back catalogue to cherry-pick for a tenner a pop, including FM5 GOTY edition with £2k worth of DLC.

I 'd bet money that there won't be weather/TOD in Forza 6 . It's clear by now that they don't care or they can't .It's well known to them how much the fans crave for it - If they really wanted it , they had F3, F4 , F5 to do it .
They'll find some bs excuses to not implement it once again . Personally , i don't believe anything Dan Greemwalt says .

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I 'd bet money that there won't be weather/TOD in Forza 6 . It's clear by now that they don't care or they can't .It's well known to them how much the fans crave for it - If they really wanted it , they had F3, F4 , F5 to do it .
They'll find some bs excuses to not implement it once again . Personally , i don't believe anything Dan Greemwalt says .

That's some really, really, really dumb reasoning.

Xanadu

Banned
That's some really, really, really dumb reasoning.

no its not, forza 1 had night racing, when they took it out with 2 it was kind of understandable due to it being launch and it being kind of a mess, but 3 and 4? no excuse. and dont give me the bs 60fps crap, they could have done it if they wanted to, GT5 did it at 1280x1080 why couldnt forza do it at 720

p3tran

Banned
Whilst day/night in F6 would be awesome, he is right. It would be kind of a, "wow, we're cheering for day/night in a 2015 game" moment. Kind of highlights just how far behind Team 10 are.
Dont go there. ;)
In console space, pretty much they are still ahead of everyone in gross. In pc, i'm still waiting to find one game of forza/gt diversity/style

nib95

Banned
Dont go there. ;)
In console space, pretty much they are still ahead of everyone in gross. In pc, i'm still waiting to find one game of forza/gt diversity/style

If you say so. Imo they are behind on most (not all) important gameplay things besides the social and casual aspects.

derFeef

p3tran is right, console and pc sim racers are so different in their philsophy. I have yet to play a PC racer or sim that is equally good as Horizon, or equally balanced like Motorsport. Improvements are very welcome though, as said.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
no its not, forza 1 had night racing, when they took it out with 2 it was kind of understandable due to it being launch and it being kind of a mess, but 3 and 4? no excuse. and dont give me the bs 60fps crap, they could have done it if they wanted to, GT5 did it at 1280x1080 why couldnt forza do it at 720
They did it without v-sync and at an unstable framerate that was closer to 30 fps than to 60 fps, so I fail to see how the fact that PD was able to do it in that conditions means Turn 10 could have done it at a rock solid 60 fps with v-sync.

They did it without v-sync and at an unstable framerate that was closer to 30 fps than to 60 fps, so I fail to see how the fact that PD was able to do it in that conditions means Turn 10 could have done it at a rock solid 60 fps with v-sync.

And lets not forget all the things they had to render a extremely low resolution like water and smoke.

Xanadu

Banned
after patches it seems rock solid 60fps to me, at least on the nurb.

And lets not forget all the things they had to render a extremely low resolution like water and smoke.

so what? why cant t10 do that? its better than no night mode at all, graphics whores the lot of ya!

Erm Forza 2 wasn't launch.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
after patches it seems rock solid 60fps to me, at least on the nurb.
It's far from being rock solid 60 fps even after the patches (specially in cockpit view) and the screen tearing it's still there. They had to cut things to achieve better framerate in rain and night conditions (like the grandstands, which are empty).

Xanadu

Banned
It's far from being rock solid 60 fps even after the patches (specially in cockpit view) and the screen tearing it's still there. They had to cut things to achieve better framerate in rain and night conditions (like the grandstands, which are empty).

i dont notice frame drops using bumper car at night, and i usually can always tell when its dropping, i'm guessing it doesnt drop more than 5fps seems fine to me. the point is even with performance issues its better than nothing. weather and night is very important to racing simulators as much as you guys dont want to admit it

Xanadu

Banned
Although it's something I believe Forza should have included, I've never chose to race or hotlap in wet conditions or night in any racing game or sim.

thats fair enough, myself and many others have, the nurb in the wet is a whole different beast. so much fun, especially on nektar pro

SparksBCN

Neo Member
i dont notice frame drops using bumper car at night, and i usually can always tell when its dropping, i'm guessing it doesnt drop more than 5fps seems fine to me. the point is even with performance issues its better than nothing. weather and night is very important to racing simulators as much as you guys dont want to admit it

Yeah, with bumper cam the drops are less dramatic (around 5-7 fps, IIRC), but nonetheless it's impacting the game performance, and I can't emphasize enough the fact that the game doesn't have v-sync which is something that truly impacts in the performance, so by non implementing it they have some free performance that can be used on other things. I can see why Turn 10 doesn't want to sacrifice performance, considering that the butter smooth visual feel of the saga has become a trademark itself (and it's something that DOES impact the playability).

The "it's better than nothing" part it's debateable: To me the inclusion of weather was more of a bullet point that they could include in the game case rather than something full fledged, seeing how it's not on all tracks, visually doesn't look that good, impacts the performance of the game and the simulation aspect is quite dull, driving in wet conditions is something more than lowering the grip of the track, which is what GT5 seems to do, instead of a proper simulation of wet driving.

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah, with bumper cam the drops are less dramatic (around 5-7 fps, IIRC), but nonetheless it's impacting the game performance, and I can't emphasize enough the fact that the game doesn't have v-sync which is something that truly impacts in the performance, so by non implementing it they have some free performance that can be used on other things. I can see why Turn 10 doesn't want to sacrifice performance, considering that the butter smooth visual feel of the saga has become a trademark itself (and it's something that DOES impact the playability).

The "it's better than nothing" part it's debateable: To me the inclusion of weather was more of a bullet point that they could include in the game case rather than something full fledged, seeing how it's not on all tracks, visually doesn't look that good, impacts the performance of the game and the simulation aspect is quite dull, driving in wet conditions is something more than lowering the grip of the track, which is what GT5 seems to do, instead of a proper simulation of wet driving.

is night time really all that more demanding? i get around the same framerate at nightime on various PC sims. but if so why not lower AA and shadow resolution? i'm sure they could get it right if they wanted to its just not their highest priority which i think it should be.

i really cant believe you'd rather have no weather/night at all then a work in progress model to build off of, at least weather is in GT5 and they can hopefully improve it over time, forza still hasnt even got it yet, its unbelievable to me

I believe in the philosophy that if you're going to include it, you'd better get it right. IMO what they include in Forza, they get right.

As you pointed out with GT, I often get the feeling Kaz is all about bullet points and "more is always better", even if it's executed poorly. For example, I never would have included the "standard cars" in GT5.

lvlzero

Banned
Used to like forza up until 3, mainly for the modding/customization community, 4 was good but felt less inviting to me, 5 just doesnt appeal at all in the same way gt6 doesnt appeal at all, Giving them both a miss and going back to gt3:aspec.

nib95

Banned
I believe in the philosophy that if you're going to include it, you'd better get it right. IMO what they include in Forza, they get right.

As you pointed out with GT, I often get the feeling Kaz is all about bullet points and "more is always better", even if it's executed poorly. For example, I never would have included the "standard cars" in GT5.

Nah, because ultimately fewer people care about a 5-10fps drop or some jaggy rain effects when they get an entirely new and super fun racing mode or feature, that adds variety and variables to gameplay.

Like seriously...how can you NOT want this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

Or this in general...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHa2JshmO4

The "want to get it perfect" excuse by Turn 10 is an utter cop out. No one should accept that excuse, because nothing is perfect about Forza, or any game for that matter.

Mascot

Did anyone from Turn 10 ever say that night & weather would be included in future Forzas? Or is it something we've just assumed?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Did anyone from Turn 10 ever say that night & weather would be included in future Forzas? Or is it something we've just assumed?

We have always wrongly assumed T10 gives a damn about what it's hardcore community (you know, the one that put them on the map in the first place) wants.

Xanadu

Banned
We have always wrongly assumed T10 gives a damn about what it's hardcore community (you know, the one that put them on the map in the first place) wants.

to me it seems most the people in this thread arent even hardcore guys, who the hell doesnt want weather in a racing sim?

The "want to get it perfect" excuse by Turn 10 is an utter cop out. No one should accept that excuse, because nothing is perfect about Forza, or any game for that matter.

Come one, it's a LAUNCH game.
There is no way they could have included all that AND refined everything to the level like they have shown so far.

Xanadu

Banned
Come one, it's a LAUNCH game.
There is no way they could have included all that AND refined everything to the level like they have shown so far.

well maybe they shouldnt have refined so much, i love how they are going back and remodelling the inaccurate forza 1 and 2 models but to make every car auto vista must have taken so much time and money which could have been made implementing more important features, but hey i know graphics sell

Xanadu

Banned
Maybe they shouldnt have refined so much.........

lol

This thread, man.

lol go play some more horizon, oh wait thats got night racing you dont want that

but seriously do you think they should just keep refining the graphics every game? is that whats most important? yea screw weather or night racing WE NEED MORE POLYGONS

Top Bottom