• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

daevv

Bought a Fat Pack today got 10 rares with 3 being mythic:

Havengul Lich
Vorapede
Helvault

Geralf's Mindcrusher
Counterlash
Grim Backwoods
Seance
Predator Ooze
Markov Blademaster
Curse of Bloodletting

Was hoping for 1 or 2 Drogskol Captains but didn't get any.

f0rk

Bought a fat pack at tonights FNM and continued my sick pulls for this release.

Sorin
Gravecrawler
Thraben Doomsayer
2 Mondronen Shaman (1 promo, good trades for casual players wanting werewolves)
Elbrus, the Binding Blade
Havengul Lich
Grim Backwoods

Flayer of the Hatebound
Requiem Angel
Call to the Kindred
Fiend of the Shadows

In the draft + prize pack (went 2-1)
Havengul Runebinder
Wolfbitten Captive
Increasing Savagery
Increasing Devotion (rare drafted as nothing for my jank green deck)

Add that to the Sorin I pulled at the a prerelease I think I'm going B/W tokens! Just need 4 dual lands, 3 Vault of the Archangel 3 Heroes of Bladehold and another Sorin. Could also try some RUG counterwolves with Huntmaster if tokens get hated out of the format.

noquarter

Bought a box and fat pack today and pretty happy with my pulls (almost the full set). Got 2 Sorins and 2 Huntmasters so won't complain much at all.

Hex

Banned
1 Japanese box and 1 english...
NO sorin

But one Huntmaster in each, one Vorapeed in each, foil english Mikaeus , one of each ooze, a couple of messengers, a few Grafdigger's Cages..
All and all fantastic if not for the lack of Sorin.
Bought a box for the GF and she pulled a Sorin in one of the last few packs.
Just my luck lol.

Hero

Guys, buying boxes is really awful and buying Fat Packs is even worse. Just buy singles. Unless you're using them to draft with your friends there's little point to buying boosters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guys, buying boxes is really awful and buying Fat Packs is even worse. Just buy singles. Unless you're using them to draft with your friends there's little point to buying boosters.
The thrills of opening up a money mythic, and the disappointment of getting a trash rare of which you already have four.

Can't get that booster high from buying singles.

rCIZZLE

This is like the first set that I can't justify buying product at all. My 5 prize packs from last weekend went straight for a snapcaster and the same will happen with whatever I win today.

Bought my box for the set. Ended up pulling another Sorin, finished up my playset of Geralf's Messengers, and got a Drogskol Reaver, along with filling out my playsets of each of the captains but the wolf. All and all an ok box. Getting a second Sorin has ensured that instead of trading off my current one, I'll just keep both of them and make a B/W tokens deck.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The thrills of opening up a money mythic, and the disappointment of getting a trash rare of which you already have four.

Can't get that booster high from buying singles.

Yeah I love the gambling aspect of it. Pay 4 bucks and I could get part of my money back, all of it back, jackshit back, or make 40 bucks. It's fun. When I need cards for decks I just buy singles (usually legacy stuff or EDH stuff) but for new sets? I'd rather have some fun opening boosters.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Agreed, but I'm grateful people buy boxes and boxes. And rip them open lol. It brings singles into the market and drives prices down.

I do buy fat boxes because I want the case and booklet.

And yeah, I realize it isn't "worth it" to buy boxes etc, but like the others have said part of the fun is opening up a pack and seeing what you get. My LGS owner makes this part even worse because he will go pack for pack with you and we just crack out and open those bastards up. Its fun!

siddx

Yeah I also buy fat packs for the dice mostly, but also for the booklet and box as well.
Have you see the price of some of the older dice? Ridiculous.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
People (myself included) always say it's not worth buying a box to crack packs because it's almost always a losing proposition. The odds of you pulling whatever to "break even" is slim as the odds are highly unfavorable.

But at the end of the day, who cares. If you have fun cracking them packs, go for it. I feel like a dick for telling people otherwise all this time. :)

Let me tell you guys something. I don't buy many booster packs. But recently I found a hobby shop that had just come into some magic singles (10,000 of them) and only had a faint idea of what they might be able to sell them for. They tell me the rares aren't for sale yet, I'm cool with that. I sift through the commons and uncommons and find a Personal Tutor, Reanimate, and a set of Edicts which I promptly by for .25 cents each. That's a tempest reanimate, btw. So that's about $30 worth of cards that I got for $1.25.

Now, I only looked through maybe 500 of their 10k lot. I was willing to bet that the entire lot of commons and uncommons was strewn with stuff like this. So I offered to buy it all at once, for a clean $100. The seller was quite thrilled to sell them so quick. He was probably thinking something along the lines of 'if I don't sell to this guy who the hell else is going to by multiple playsets of Homarids?'

So the sale was made. I look at it as buying a massive booster box. Don't know what I'm gonna get, but it's probable that I'm gonna get something. And boy did I. Remember how I was only supposed to get commons and uncommons? After sifting through the boxes of cards with some friends, we found over A HUNDRED rares. On top of assorted valuable commons and uncommons. Among the lot, Enlightened Tutor, a playset of Flashes, Sarcomancy, Swords to Plowshares, Humilty, Peacekeeper, playset of Leeches, more reanimates, a Dance of the Dead, 6 Avoid Fates, an Emerald Medalion, Apocolypse Chimes, Mana Webs, Lotus Petals, and Gemstone Mines. And really alot more. I can only assume that since older cards don't use the silver/gold expansion symbols the seller had assumed they were commons. On top of this I got over 50 of certain cards. I have more Dark Rituals, Llanowar Elves, and Red/Blue Elemental Blasts than I can ever use.

All in all it was about $250 worth of rares/valubles, plus a bunch of random other stuff for $100. The moral of the story? Go hunting for deals. Wait to buy things. Don't just splooge on new stuff because you feel like you need to. There are plenty of ways to get your money's worth out of a purchase.

siddx

Let me tell you guys something. I don't buy many booster packs. But recently I found a hobby shop that had just come into some magic singles (10,000 of them) and only had a faint idea of what they might be able to sell them for. They tell me the rares aren't for sale yet, I'm cool with that. I sift through the commons and uncommons and find a Personal Tutor, Reanimate, and a set of Edicts which I promptly by for .25 cents each. That's a tempest reanimate, btw. So that's about $30 worth of cards that I got for $1.25.

Now, I only looked through maybe 500 of their 10k lot. I was willing to bet that the entire lot of commons and uncommons was strewn with stuff like this. So I offered to buy it all at once, for a clean $100. The seller was quite thrilled to sell them so quick. He was probably thinking something along the lines of 'if I don't sell to this guy who the hell else is going to by multiple playsets of Homarids?'

So the sale was made. I look at it as buying a massive booster box. Don't know what I'm gonna get, but it's probable that I'm gonna get something. And boy did I. Remember how I was only supposed to get commons and uncommons? After sifting through the boxes of cards with some friends, we found over A HUNDRED rares. On top of assorted valuable commons and uncommons. Among the lot, Enlightened Tutor, a playset of Flashes, Sarcomancy, Swords to Plowshares, Humilty, Peacekeeper, playset of Leeches, more reanimates, a Dance of the Dead, 6 Avoid Fates, an Emerald Medalion, Apocolypse Chimes, Mana Webs, Lotus Petals, and Gemstone Mines. And really alot more. I can only assume that since older cards don't use the silver/gold expansion symbols the seller had assumed they were commons. On top of this I got over 50 of certain cards. I have more Dark Rituals, Llanowar Elves, and Red/Blue Elemental Blasts than I can ever use.

All in all it was about $250 worth of rares/valubles, plus a bunch of random other stuff for $100. The moral of the story? Go hunting for deals. Wait to buy things. Don't just splooge on new stuff because you feel like you need to. There are plenty of ways to get your money's worth out of a purchase.

Thats a nice story and all but you are ignoring what everyone has said multiple times. We like buying boosters. We like opening new packs. We enjoy it. It's not a financial concern, it's a fun concern. I would buy that lot of cards you picked up as well. But I'm still buying 2 booster boxes every release.

Thats a nice story and all but you are ignoring what everyone has said multiple times. We like buying boosters. We like opening new packs. We enjoy it. It's not a financial concern, it's a fun concern. I would buy that lot of cards you picked up as well. But I'm still buying 2 booster boxes every release.

Well, I should have said that this was pretty much the equivalent of that. I got a bunch of random cards. The equivalent of 4 or 5 booster boxes. Same type of thrill, a lot less cash.

Not that I can dissuade anyone from whatever they get their kicks on. A lot of my friends buy booster boxes. I do to, just not as much.

noquarter

Well, I should have said that this was pretty much the equivalent of that. I got a bunch of random cards. The equivalent of 4 or 5 booster boxes. Same type of thrill, a lot less cash.

Not that I can dissuade anyone from whatever they get their kicks on. A lot of my friends buy booster boxes. I do to, just not as much.
Nobody was saying it wasn't the equivalent, but those types of deals don't happen all the time. If I saw a lot like that and a booster box and only had the money for one, yeah buy the lot. As it is, most places around me that have cards know what cards are worth, understand that not all cards have rarity symbols and know where to look if they are unsure.

My friend got 3 mythics in one pack last night. Madness. Is anyone else disappointed at the top 8 game day card? The zombie card seems pretty underwhelming... Is it actually used at all?

Picked up two boxes last night, haven't really sorted through everything yet since I only put an hour or so into organizing things, but overall I was very impressed with my pulls.

Notables(in my opinion):
1x Huntmaster of the Fells
2x Sorin, 1 of them foiled, and both of which I will be dumping off to some sucker as soon as humanly possible for a ton of shit I will actually use in my decks
3x Thalia, Gaurdian of Thraben
2x Sudden Disappearance
2x Increasing Devotion, 1 foiled
2x Geralfs Messenger
2x Gravecrawler
1x Mikaeus
1x Hellrider
2x Markov Blademaster
2x Increasing Vengeance
1x Predator Ooze
1x Vorapede
2x Drogskol Reaver
2x Grafdiggers Cage
2x Grim Backwoods
2x Vault of the Archangel

Definitely want to grab more Gravecrawlers, Geralfs Messengers, Huntmasters, and Markov Blademasters. And that foil Sorin is going to be ridiculously hot for the next week at least, if not for a while.

f0rk

My friend got 3 mythics in one pack last night. Madness. Is anyone else disappointed at the top 8 game day card? The zombie card seems pretty underwhelming... Is it actually used at all?

There will be probably be some casual interest but if there is a good Zombie good coming it won't use it.
The Strangleroot Geist is a nice card though.

Nobody was saying it wasn't the equivalent, but those types of deals don't happen all the time. If I saw a lot like that and a booster box and only had the money for one, yeah buy the lot. As it is, most places around me that have cards know what cards are worth, understand that not all cards have rarity symbols and know where to look if they are unsure.

Here's an alternative that me and mine have utilized. Friends who have gotten out of the hobby. For some reason that seems to be an endless well of cards. Especially acquaintances from high school. My group has probably culled cards from about 10-15 such individuals in the last year. Sometimes it's as simple as asking people on facebook. Heck, I still have a cousin who I know has Maze of Iths that I havn't hit up yet.

Hero

Picked up two boxes last night, haven't really sorted through everything yet since I only put an hour or so into organizing things, but overall I was very impressed with my pulls.

Notables(in my opinion):
1x Huntmaster of the Fells
2x Sorin, 1 of them foiled, and both of which I will be dumping off to some sucker as soon as humanly possible for a ton of shit I will actually use in my decks
3x Thalia, Gaurdian of Thraben
2x Sudden Disappearance
2x Increasing Devotion, 1 foiled
2x Geralfs Messenger
2x Gravecrawler
1x Mikaeus
1x Hellrider
2x Markov Blademaster
2x Increasing Vengeance
1x Predator Ooze
1x Vorapede
2x Drogskol Reaver
2x Grafdiggers Cage
2x Grim Backwoods
2x Vault of the Archangel

Definitely want to grab more Gravecrawlers, Geralfs Messengers, Huntmasters, and Markov Blademasters. And that foil Sorin is going to be ridiculously hot for the next week at least, if not for a while.

I wouldn't wait too much longer on the Sorins. Right now he's the only chase mythic of the set and is going to command a high price because there's not enough supply to meet the demand. From here on out the only way he's going up is if BW tokens becomes a tier one deck in Standard which is yet to be seen. If within a month BW tokens hasn't won a major event expect Sorin to start dipping down. Every planeswalker since Jace has only gone down since their pre-order price highs. Koth, Tezzeret, Karn, Jace 3, Chandra 3, Garruk 2 and 3, and Liliana 2 are all half, if not less, of what they were when they came out.

Right now a foil Sorin is worth a hundred dollars which essentially pays for one of your booster boxes. I don't really think you're going to be able to beat that.

I wouldn't wait too much longer on the Sorins. Right now he's the only chase mythic of the set and is going to command a high price because there's not enough supply to meet the demand. From here on out the only way he's going up is if BW tokens becomes a tier one deck in Standard which is yet to be seen. If within a month BW tokens hasn't won a major event expect Sorin to start dipping down. Every planeswalker since Jace has only gone down since their pre-order price highs. Koth, Tezzeret, Karn, Jace 3, Chandra 3, Garruk 2 and 3, and Liliana 2 are all half, if not less, of what they were when they came out.

Right now a foil Sorin is worth a hundred dollars which essentially pays for one of your booster boxes. I don't really think you're going to be able to beat that.

And that's literally exactly what was going through my mind as well. I could pretty much rarify any particular deck I wanted with one card off of people, or just toss the two of them for a new box ($125 here in Canada). Only problem is I'm working today and literally cannot leave the base for 24 hours, so I'm going to have to swing back into the card shop tomorrow and see if there's any takers or if the owners are interested. I have absolutely no use for him in any of my current decks that I want to work on, so for me he is just trade fodder. And honestly, you cant ask for better trade fodder than that!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really hope Sorin drops in price, since I've been wanting to put together a good W/B deck since before he was even revealed. I've got some vague outlines for a Modern deck that mixes Innistrad humans/tokens with some Orzhov bleed and control

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just did a sealed event, format seems really slow to me.

No bombs this time, but still ran 9 removal spells maindeck and didn't run into much opposition.

Last week I had some bombas and 11 removal spells maindeck!

Now the wait for drafts to start running on MTGO...

Went 3-0 in a small raredraft with friends, got myself a Falkenrath Aristocrat, Skaab Ruinator, and a couple of bullshit foils!

Was pretty fun, ran a BR vamp deck with like 7 removal spells and 3 removal creatures.

OnPoint

Been involved in 4 boxes (two between me and my GF, seen two friends open one a piece). No Sorins at all.

A friend goes to the card shop, can only afford one pack so the owner gives him a second free. He pulls a Sorin.

What the fuck lol

Hex

Banned
Been involved in 4 boxes (two between me and my GF, seen two friends open one a piece). No Sorins at all.

A friend goes to the card shop, can only afford one pack so the owner gives him a second free. He pulls a Sorin.

What the fuck lol

I am right there with you

Takuan

I've had terrible luck with DKA so far, too. Nothing but jank mythics outside of 1 Huntmaster. I've gotten a few money rares, but outside of Grafdigger's, I don't expect any of them to hold value. Come to think of it, that sorta goes for the rest of the mythics, too. If I'd pulled a Sorin, I would've traded him immediately.

Preamble: so this is going to sound a bit convenient, but over the holidays i spent some time with my parents. I was looking through some old crap I had from when I was younger and I found a my old magic decks and such. Turns out many of my cards are quite old and are worth a fair bit of coin, though I have been getting into playing again, so I am reluctant to sell.

So having not played in about 9 years or so, what is a good place (website etc.) to start to see what I can build and play? After some research, Commander and Legacy seem like the places I want to spend time in, and maybe pickup a box or so, so i can see what new stuff comes out.

Takuan

Preamble: so this is going to sound a bit convenient, but over the holidays i spent some time with my parents. I was looking through some old crap I had from when I was younger and I found a my old magic decks and such. Turns out many of my cards are quite old and are worth a fair bit of coin, though I have been getting into playing again, so I am reluctant to sell.

So having not played in about 9 years or so, what is a good place (website etc.) to start to see what I can build and play? After some research, Commander and Legacy seem like the places I want to spend time in, and maybe pickup a box or so, so i can see what new stuff comes out.
The answer to all your questions can likely be found here:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/index.php

As for new stuff, Wizards has visual spoilers of the last few sets that came out on their official site. That's a good way to browse new stuff. Or you could just go to www.StarCitygames.com and browse by set/rarity/etc. I recommend against purchasing from them, however, as they're consistently overpriced (and yet, their prices are somewhat of a standard).

y2dvd

Say it's my turn and I claim end of turn. The opponent responds with "Before end of turn...[plays an instant]. Does the opponent playing a spell reset any phases? Could I now play a non-instant spell I may have hesitated to play earlier now that he casted his instant for instance?

f0rk

Say it's my turn and I claim end of turn. The opponent responds with "Before end of turn...[plays an instant]. Does the opponent playing a spell reset any phases? Could I now play a non-instant spell I may have hesitated before he casted his instant for instance?

If you've passed the turn it's the end step and you can only cast instants.

Say it's my turn and I claim end of turn. The opponent responds with "Before end of turn...[plays an instant]. Does the opponent playing a spell reset any phases? Could I now play a non-instant spell I may have hesitated to play earlier now that he casted his instant for instance?

Well, you declaring end step implies you're done with your main phase two.

How else would you cast an instant that you want to play at the end of the turn? He isn't resetting. He was just waiting until he was sure you were done. If you're going to say "too late", then i'd like to hear how he should have played that instant. In either case, it is end step and only instants are allowed.

f0rk

How else would you cast an instant that you want to play at the end of the turn? He isn't resetting. He was just waiting until he was sure you were done. If you're going to say "too late", then i'd like to hear how he should have played that instant. In either case, it is end step and only instants are allowed.

It would be funny if you could play a titan after they tap out for a Think Twice or something though lol.

Amazingly, the officially sponsored digital game "Duels of the Planeswalkers" totally fucks this up. There is no end step. When you pass priority during second main phase, a timer ticks down before jumping straight to your opponent's upkeep. Your opponent can pause the timer to play instants, but the game will let the instants resolve and then let you play anything you want.

It's perhaps the most broken thing about that buggy game.

kirblar

Amazingly, the officially sponsored digital game "Duels of the Planeswalkers" totally fucks this up. There is no end step. When you pass priority during second main phase, a timer ticks down before jumping straight to your opponent's upkeep. Your opponent can pause the timer to play instants, but the game will let the instants resolve and then let you play anything you want.

It's perhaps the most broken thing about that buggy game.
Oddly enough, I would say the End Step is one of the biggest design mistakes made. But we're too deep into the game to change it now.

y2dvd

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Got destroyed by a White/Black token deck over the weekend, DA makes them so strong now. =/

Called it back on spoilers! I wish I had some Sorins and the B/W land to run. :|

Oddly enough, I would say the End Step is one of the biggest design mistakes made. But we're too deep into the game to change it now.

My understanding is that it sticks to the philosophy that the non-active player always gets to respond to the active player's decisions, including the decision to not do anything else. The End Step allows a safe response to that decision.

ultron87

DOTP was always meant as an introductory tool and not an exact replica of the paper game. Requiring passed priority in every phase would really annoy someone who had just picked up the game. It is the same reason it doesn't let you tap land even though that can screw shit up at points with the multicolor decks.

If you want a perfect digital recreation you can always go to Magic Online. I've perfectly enjoyed just playing with the Planeswalker cards you get in there for the initial 10 dollar fee. It scratches my itch when I just want to play a quick game of Magic.

DOTP was always meant as an introductory tool and not an exact replica of the paper game. Requiring passed priority in every phase would really annoy someone who had just picked up the game. It is the same reason it doesn't let you tap land even though that can screw shit up at points with the multicolor decks.

If you want a perfect digital recreation you can always go to Magic Online. I've perfectly enjoyed just playing with the Planeswalker cards you get in there for the initial 10 dollar fee. It scratches my itch when I just want to play a quick game of Magic.

I don't disagree, but losing games because my opponent responds to White Sun's Zenith with Slagstorm just rubs me the wrong way.

kirblar

My understanding is that it sticks to the philosophy that the non-active player always gets to respond to the active player's decisions, including the decision to not do anything else. The End Step allows a safe response to that decision.
The End Step of your opponent's turn is actually the first main phase of your turn. It's why blue is so good relative to the other colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom