• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

Opa-Pa

How do you feel about the Raidou series? I feel like the only reason Yakuza isn't counted as an action RPG is because of the way it looks. Everything else screams action rpg to me, you have exp, sub-quests, equipment and random encounters on the map.

I don't necessarily think Yakuza games aren't RPGs, but Raidou still feels more like one with the amount of customization present, capturing demons and fusing them to your liking, customizing equipment etc.

Viridian6

I thought that it was part if the initial announcement. I will change it if the PC version is not announced.

But in general, I am including confirmed ports. See Skyrim and Switch.

I don't think it's actually been officially confirmed, but it's probably a lock...

Great job with the thread by the way!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You can get it on PSN.

The cost seems to be for price of entry, not a complete original copy.

The text above the list explains exactly that. It is not cost of a physical copy, but cost of purchasing any legal way to play it. The PSN version is great and frequently on sale.

EDIT: Wait, I read my sheet wrong. Here's the correct list!

Code:
Arc the lad 2
Atelier Escha & Logy
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Bahamut Lagoon
Caves of Qud
Custom Robo Arena
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Freedom Force
Marvel Heroes
Metroid Fusion
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
NetHack
Paper Mario Color Splash
Rune Factory: Frontier
SaGa Frontier
Sakura Taisen
Serpent In The Staglands
Shining the Holy Ark
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Space Rangers
Star Ocean
TERA
The Banner Saga 
The Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga)
The Secret World
Too Human
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Wizardry : Tale of the Forsaken Land

Some of these games were great. Others, I can see why they had 1 vote.

Vandal Hearts II is a game that doesn't have the best reputation, but tried to do something different to mixed success. If the AI wasn't so dumb, I think that it could have been a pretty strong game. It was a strategy title where you and your enemy attacked at the same time. You would choose your moves, and the AI would choose it. Then the game would act it out. However, the AI ALWAYS tried to attack your characters' backs. Once you figured that out, you could safely attack their backs every time.

That's my Shining the Holy Ark vote, no regrets!

gngf123

I wonder how many points there were separating Bloodlines with Suikoden 2. I have been playing Bloodlines a little recently and would probably have added it to my list in hindsight.

MoonFrog

What're people's thoughts on the Raidou games anyway? I think those are my remaining hole in PS2 SMT franchise stuff (Having played Persona 3-4, Nocturne, and DDS 1-2).

Eolz

What're people's thoughts on the Raidou games anyway? I think those are my remaining hole in PS2 SMT franchise stuff (Having played Persona 3-4, Nocturne, and DDS 1-2).

2 is good. 1 has a nice setting/atmosphere but it aged badly otherwise imo.

Lynx_7

The second game is generally well regarded, and the series in general has a cult following of sorts, with many fans who'd like to see a new installment.
The first game comes down to whether or not you can get over the somewhat clunky combat. As far as story is concerned, it's considered the superior title.

From what little I've played of the first Raidou Kuzunoha, I'd recommend it to other megaten fans just on the strenght of its setting and atmosphere. It has this really cool supernatural detective premise and its setting is so unique in the landscape of gaming that it compensates for the game's mechanical shortcomings imo.

Opa-Pa

Raidou 1 is pretty cool. Gameplay is a bit simplistic and can feel repetitive at first, but once it opens up it can be pretty fun and even tactical against some bosses.

Charm is off the charts and music is great. The story goes some crazy places later on too.

Raidou 2, the concensus seems to be that everything is improved except the story is boring compared to the first. It's one of the few localized Megaten games I have left to play.

Not sure if he was planning to make one last post here or not, but kswiston said that GAF died in his eyes on Saturday (and I and many others agree). The list will be completed elsewhere once things calm down.

As someone who has participated a lot in them and even run some, I just wanted to make sure other people here knew about that. Hopefully you see the list wherever it does get completed.

Luminaire

I don't want to speak for kswinston but I don't think the thread will finish up.

Also, a handful of us from this thread (and this thread only) are in a discord for this thread. If you would like to join us, please feel free to pm myself or kswis. Note that there is a 10minute lockout on PMs, so responses may be slow. Over the next couple days I (and maybe others) may send out some PMs to invite people, typically starting with the top posters in the thread. Additionally, if you'd like an invite, feel free to PM with your discord ID (if you trust me with that) and I'll friend you and invite you.

kswiston and Luminaire are managing the invitations to that discord group. They'll continue to do it tomorrow.

Meanwhile why don't you send a PM to one of them?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd like the invite too, this was one of the threads I was most worried about when the drama happened with EL.

kswiston

Hello to those who are left.

I'm not one for flashy new thread exits/ban baits, but I felt the need to address this thread before I make an exit.

As some have hinted at, I am ending my 12 year stay at NeoGAF. I am happy to have spent so many years interacting with this community, but many of the people who made up that community for me have left, and I am not interested in being part of whatever future GAF has going forward given recent events.

Robert at Zeboyd leaving after his amazing support of what we were doing should have been a sign that the forum that I am typing this post on isn't the same one that I started the thread on. Ditto for Stump who helped me to get all of those Cosmic Star Heroine keys to you.

For those bummed about not seeing the first half of the list, this list will continue in some form, somewhere. I am in contact with enough of you that I am sure general word of mouth will spread when it does continue. Expect that to be a few weeks from now though. I think that everyone needs a break to let collect their thoughts and choose their paths forward.

I have saved the text portion of everyone's lists, and if I can find a way to incorporate them into whatever form the essential RPG thread takes on, I will. If not, I suppose that they will still be here for reference.

Thank you for your participation in this thread. Thanks to the kind words that many of you offered. I hope to see many of you elsewhere down the road.

I will not be addressing PMs following this, so please refer to others.

Maximos

Neo Member
This thread was one of the reasons I made a GAF account years ago. I'll always be appreciative for the creative spirit and awesome recommendations of these threads.

hemtae

The rest of the list from ResetERA

1 Chrono Trigger
2 Dark Souls
3 Persona 4
4 The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
5 Final Fantasy VI
6 Planescape: Torment
7 Persona 5
8 Fallout: New Vegas
9 Xenoblade Chronicles
10 Final Fantasy VII