• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... what if the reason Affleck wants out is because of Gibson?

I didn't realize they had a history.

You think he would risk losing his reputation just because he disagrees with the hiring of Mel? I know he threw that tantrum on Mahrer but wanting out of Batman because Mel got hired seems kinda stupid. Hollywood isn't exactly a bastion of morality.

lol..What in the world? Anyway, if that were to be the reason, he has a right to do what he feels he needs to..weather others agree or not. Would suck, of course, but it's his life and his decision to make.

Ashhong

Gibson doing SS2 doesn't make sense to me. Sure it's a movie of villains, but WB is a business. I'm sure they know the demographic that the first one appealed to, and a lot of it was teenage kids, especially girls. It being a hard R is going to be a hard sell I think. It's going to be a different kind of R than Deadpool.

Ninjimbo

I didn't realize they had a history.

lol..What in the world? Anyway, if that were to be the reason, he has a right to do what he feels he needs to..weather others agree or not. Would suck, of course, but it's his life and his decision to make.
He has a right to do what he feels, of course. I'm just saying that there might be consequences. WB has invested millions into Batman. They distributed and promoted Affleck's little passion project. And now Ben wants to walk away from it all because of Gibson? Tell me how that's going to fly in an executive meeting in the future if that's why Ben walks out.

Personally, I wouldn't even entertain the thought. If I were Ben, I'm doing the movie after everything I've said no matter the cost. He gave his word.

The big point against "Ben wants out because of Gibson" is that if WB was looking at a choice between having the director, writer, and star of their next big tent pole post JL walk off and hiring literally anybody but Mel Gibson for SS2 I literally can't imagine that they'd choose the former.

BadAss2961

Don't agree with all that villain Bat praise, unless we're talking the uncut version..even then. But I'll agree with no issue that SS was just managed poorly. When ANY hero comes off more menacing than "the bad guys" you've got a problem on your hands. Movie was way too bubbly, and yet, took itself way too seriously at times..amazing that they could pull those both off at once, for sure. Seemed like a movie of two (or three) minds..

Too many hands in the pie.
Nah, it all makes sense in context. Batman is a hero that uses intimidation. BvS is Batman at his worst. Batman also appears menacing from the Squad's perspective in that most of them are afraid of the mere thought of his presence.

On the other end, Suicide Squad isn't about showing its main characters in their worst light. It's mostly the opposite with it being their series where they're the protagonists. It's the guys that die quickly who might go full villain from jump until they get clipped. Rope Guy is introduced knocking some woman the fuck out.

I doubt they'd court Mel if Ben was that opposed to the idea. Not worth the risk when Mel is likely to turn down the gig anyway.

One thing I'll say about this Affleck not liking Mel theory is when Affleck and co. presented the Golden Globe for best director, they went on about actor-directors winning Golden Globe and passed on mentioning Mel Gibson, despite him sitting several feet away (it was probably because Mel was up for best director in that category and it'd be weird, but if we're reading into things here...!)

And legit the best thing Suicide Squad 2 could do is bring back Adam Beach to play Rope Guy's twin brother, only to die first again.

Ross61

Really hoping Mel Gibson passes. This new WB execs are making some problematic choices.....

But I don't know if Inwould fully trust John's/Berg decisions. Johns seems like he would choose somone who was familiar with the material, but mediocre to average career.

I also can't imagine Viola being happy with the choice.

BadAss2961

Really hoping Mel Gibson passes. This new WB execs are making some problematic choices.....

But I don't know if Inwould fully trust John's/Berg decisions. Johns seems like he would choose somone who was familiar with the material, but mediocre to average career.

Do you want a good movie or not though? Gibson is one of the better directors in all of Hollywood.

Aren't you tired of losing? No more bad deals... With Gibson in control, we're gonna win so much that we're gonna be tired of winning.

lol

Ross61

Do you want a good movie or not though? Gibson is one of the better directors in all of Hollywood.

Aren't you tired of losing? No more bad deals... With Gibson in control, we're gonna win so much that we're gonna be tired of winning.

lol

We can get a good movie without Gibson....

Dcube

I doubt it'll happen but Mel's a great director hope he accepts it. Sure he's a crappy person but I can appreciate a good product regardless of who makes it. Still don't think it'll happen though, superhero stuff just doesn't seem like his fit.

DaveH

One interesting context to put this in is in the light of Affleck's alleged disillusionment.

Affleck is great, but he also thrives on approval, which is why he took Daredevil and Gigli so hard... and why the narrative is that he's taken BvS and Live By Night so hard... compared to Snyder and Ayer who, obviously aren't happy about the critical lashing, but who still move forwards regardless.

Gibson has proven capable of continuing to produce even under heavy criticism, which is needed until the criticism either turns around or becomes passe (few take the critical reception of Transformers personally or worth a millions of words of discussion, for example).

a916

I'm actually starting to think he was only ever going to do 3 movies. And now he's dreading the 3rd one. I mean maybe the plan always was to cast a Batman, super old and greyed so they could replace him because Affleck would never have committed to a 10 film deal?

Strictly speaking from a movie sense, unless they plan on getting a Spielberg or Scorcese, Gibson is a top tier director. A stronger filmography than even our former golden goose Affleck. There's no way he says yes to it, but they need to bring in top tier talent because there's so many unknowns that they need as many sure fire things as possible.

Ashhong

Reading that quote from Gibson about CBM, it doesn't sound like he hates CBM in general, he just hates how it's done in the past. Seems like he would be interested in doing one himself, his way. I could see it. I just don't see why they would do it with SS2 when SS1 demo is so young.

tim1138

Even though the first movie wasn't great, I would have at least had an open mind about a sequel. Not so much if Gibson is directing.

Ashhong

I don't know, I expected Affleck to be the RDJ of DCEU. Why do you think he wouldn't? Batman is their biggest character, they would want to use him all the time. Maybe he signed up for only 3 (bvs, JL1/2) but I think he expected to do more. Who expected the universe to so critically panned after just MoS?

Penguin

Some small news, but DC has dubbed June 3rd as Wonder Woman Day

C4z9fF1WEAU63c_.jpg

Ahasverus

Dudes, even if Gibson is not exactly Ghandi, from a purely film making point of view, we need him to show DC how a competent movie is made (in both the technical and management aspetcs) then when the producers see its perfomance which will be a STARK contrast to their past movies, gaining lots of goodwill, they'll start to notch up the level of the rest of the universe. I think he's a necessary evil. And a fantastic director, too.

And let's be real here, the public "lost" by Mel being the director is a flash in the pan, especially internationally where he's still the Braveheart guy.

IconGrist

Dudes, even if Gibson is not exactly Ghandi, from a purely film making point of view, we need him to show DC how a competent movie is made (in both the technical and management aspetcs) then when the producers see its perfomance which will be a STARK contrast to their past movies, gaining lots of goodwill, they'll start to notch up the level of the rest of the universe. I think he's a necessary evil. And a fantastic director, too.

And let's be real here, the public "lost" by Mel being the director is a flash in the pan, especially internationally where he's still the Braveheart guy.

It's not as simple as that. Any good director would do while not simultaneously alienating a portion of their audience.

Hey, as long as DC gets a good movie..fuck the haters. 😐

Ahasverus

It's not as simple as that. Any good director would do while not simultaneously alienating a portion of their audience.
Well, yeah, but

a- He's not good, he's excellent.
b- Not many of the "excellent" tier directors are willing to work on a DCEU movie, much less, Suicide Squad.

AAA class directors actually dictate their workflow, contrary to the studio driven workflow that has resulted in 2 botched movies in a row. Gibson will come, do his stuff, deilier under time/budget, give fresh air to the genre, build a better work flow process for others, and then leave never to be seen again. Let's bite the bullet, I say.

I say it's lightning in a bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom