• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation vita, like the Ps2 ?

I never said 3DS was not a hardcore machine.
In those words, no. But most everybody here shares the commonality of language and through that understands context.

I don't want to play games on a tiny, low res 3DS screen.

Hardcore gamers still exist! ...... hardcore gamers like high end hardware (hardware is decent you say, what other portable games console has better?), proper control scheme (3DS frankenstick says two sticks is important) and full on console games experience on the move (why should I accept diluted games experiences just because I am using a portable).

I support innovation of course, but I like two sticks for control as a foundation (give options for others), high end graphics and full on, high level games.

Well according to _that_ site that posts numbers it sold a bit over 88k last week...that includes the FEB. But who knows the accuracy of that. I wonder if Sony will post numbers...
12k in Japan, as those are the only figures we have. There's a reason _that_ site is banned here.

This. I remember 3DS was off to a terrible start and it had doom & gloom articles for months now the thing sells better than home consoles globally!
The difference is that we all knew the 3DS would get 3 heavy system sellers by the end of the year (in Japan). There's nothing announced so far like that for the Vita.

The Vita is selling worse than the 3DS pre-price drop.

Speaking of which, can Sony afford to cut the price? It took Iwata cutting his salary in half and Nintendo taking a loss on the hardware to get the 3DS off the ground.

Jburton

Banned
And when I say Nintendo is still completely incompetent by not having digital purchases tied to an account that can be retrieved on another device or that Nintendo of America are useless and should be eliminated due to their lousy localization record this generation, what does my Zelda avatar tell you?

But its a fact that is 100% irrelevant to somebody not having an interest in the Vita launch lineup.

Then they would not qualify as hardcore because they let minor things prevent them from playing great games.

Whatever friend, I don't care about 3DS, have nothing against it ...... I have no interest in sad little fanboy conversations.

I know nothing of your post history, nor do I care.

I was comparing like for like in terms of games available at launch, and quality of said games.

Of course it is irrelevant to someone not interested in the Vita or its game lineup.

Are we in some sort of argument I know nothing about?

3DS is great, you like 3DS, you are above being a blind fanboy because you can point out the shortcomings of the manufacturer ....... good for you.

And your qualification of what amounts to a hardcore gamer is bullshit.

I have been playing games coming up to almost 30 years, my eyes are fucked! .... teeny, tiny screens do affect my ability to interact and enjoy games.

StuBurns

Banned
While those posts come off as very fanboyish, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to play games on the 3DS screen, it is pretty bad after having got used to all our nice high res phones and things.

People got burned by the 3DS' first 6 months on the market. It was a disaster of epic proportion and the only solution was a massive price drop.

That alone is enough to make people apprehensive about buying an even more costly portable. Add to that the disaster the vita is in japan and confidence in the platform is very low.

I was in the market for a portable in the last week and decided i would try a 3DS (again) because i think the vita is an awful value right now.

Did you even try the thing before saying it's an awful value?

Joke Thread? Vita just come out and it not doing so well in Japan what the hell GAF why would you call it or put say its anything like PS2

zoukka

While those posts come off as very fanboyish, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to play games on the 3DS screen, it is pretty bad after having got used to all our nice high res phones and things.

Yep, Vitas "dat oled" will look just as shitty after Ipad3 hits the streets for tech geeks.

Mrbob

I think the Vita is awesome too, but I'd calm down with the PS2 parallels. It would be great for the Vita to do well though!

If the Vita is to be a big success, I think it has to be more along the lines of the PS1 than the PS2. Be a slow burner that gradually increases in popularity with each passing year.

Yep, Vitas "dat oled" will look just as shitty after Ipad3 hits the streets for tech geeks.

Apples and oranges. OLED is better technology than LCD. Especially for gaming.

Besides, 960 X 544 resolution is enough to make everything pop on a 5" screen. Only the most faithful in the Apple fandom will think the Vita screen looks bad with the release of the Ipad 3.

Duxxy3

Damn.

I don't even.

Right now it is the most expensive system on the market to get a basic level of use.

3DS is $169 and you're done.

Wii is $150 and you're done.

360 is $199 and you're done.

PS3 is $249 and you're done.

PSV is $269 because of the required memory card, which starts at $19.

StuBurns

Banned
Is the iPad 3 retina OLED? That's going to be some pretty ass shit...

It was an unpopular opinion the other day, but I think the iPhone screen is better than the PSV screen already, or at least on par.

Jburton

Banned
In those words, no. But most everybody here shares the commonality of language and through that understands context.

That part of my post you quoted is so out of context it is laughable.

My point about the frankenstick is that real controls over solely touchscreen only still matter and are attractive.

The poster against whom my post was in response to stated that their was no space in the market for Vita and it was unnecessary.

My response pointed out where it had a place.

Where the 3DS is too low powered, and its screens where to small, and low res for some gamers tastes.

That touch only devices lack a full control scheme and how that limits the type of gaming experience available on such a system.

My post was not directed against 3DS or iOS in any fanboy kind of sense, rather some of the shortcomings of each of those devices / platforms means that their is a space in the market to be catered for.

zoukka

Is the iPad 3 retina OLED? That's going to be some pretty ass shit...

It was an unpopular opinion the other day, but I think the iPhone screen is better than the PSV screen already, or at least on par.

It's not oled, but it will still blow anything out of the water right now. It has bigger res, than my giant ass PC monitor.

And I agree, that what little you can see on Iphone now looks the best out of all portable devices.

Despera

Banned
Within about 12 months after launch, the PS2 got:

Ridge Racer V
Tekken Tag Tournament
SSX
Shadow of Destiny
Ring of Red
Onimusha: Warlords
Zone of the Enders

Red Faction
Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Extermination
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
ICO
Silent Hill 2
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III
SSX Tricky
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Final Fantasy X

I'd love the Vita to feature a similar library in such a short amount of time, but I fear it won't be anywhere near that. But that being said, I don't expect any 1st year lineup to rival that of the PS2 ever again.
/thread

JJD

I love my Vita and am having more fun playing it than any console launch I can remember in ages, but it's a bit early for comparisons like this I think.

No doubt it's a brilliant device, and in my opinion the launch lineup is fantastic, but more games need to be announced for the next few months, especially in Europe (3 of the 4 titles dated for March in the US are already out in Europe).

I mean, you can't say this yet. I'd love for it to have the great library of the PS2 and sell millions and millions of units because it is the best hardware Sony has ever sold.

Looking at this angle are you guys excited about what Sony is going to do with the PS4?

It could turn out to be a neat little system when all is said and done, but it'll have trouble matching the PSP in terms of software/sales, let alone the PS2.
The thing with the PSP is that it had a great second wind thanks pretty much solely to Monster Hunter.

All it will take is that one surprise hit to pick the Vita up (this is, of course, assuming it doesn't do well, which nobody can really say at this point).

SykoTech

Yeah, first two replies nail it. Vita is looking nowhere near as amazing as the PS2 software-wise at the moment.

I doubt there will ever be a platform as excellent as the PS2.

Vaporizer

Banned
Within about 12 months after launch, the PS2 got:

Ridge Racer V
Tekken Tag Tournament
SSX
Shadow of Destiny
Ring of Red
Onimusha: Warlords
Zone of the Enders
Red Faction
Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Extermination
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
ICO
Silent Hill 2
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III
SSX Tricky
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Final Fantasy X

I'd love the Vita to feature a similar library in such a short amount of time, but I fear it won't be anywhere near that. But that being said, I don't expect any 1st year lineup to rival that of the PS2 ever again.

Bloody hell. Just look at the list.

you forgot resident evil code veronica too. It had the devil may cry demo in it. I would have never tried DMC otherwise

It has more games at its a launch than the 3DS had, and out of those launch games a greater percentage are worth having.

This cannot be emphasized enough. I wanted to buy as many launch games as I could with the 3DS and I got stuck at Pilotwings and SF4.

The Vita launch has netted me 9 retail games and 3 PSN games.

There is no comparison, really.

Vita's launch has been better than the 3DS, we can all agree on that. let's just not use it as an excuse to dismiss the current 3DS library though, which is amazing and getting better

i played with my brothers vita yesterday. It is an amazing piece of hardware. I was impressed.
3DS really needs a revision badly.

once they've finished laughing, they will probably make one

Thoraxes

Why do posters keep coming at me like I am attacking the 3DS?

I don't have one but I do not hate it ....... each to their own.

"Gamers who are much more hardcore than me play 3DS" ....... who gives a fuck, I never said 3DS was not a hardcore machine.
Basically you said this nicely, and it's just your opinion after all:

I am a consumer, I don't want to play games on a tiny, low res 3DS screen ..... I have an iPad and some of the games are good, due to the limited control methods a lot of the games begin to feel very samey.

And people are hearing it as "Nintendo sucks, 3DS sucks, it's for little kids, screen sucks, 3D sucks, only casuals play it, everything about it sucks, and I hate your family too."

I don't get some of the inferences people make sometimes. You make some decent points, but even though I disagree from my perspective, I can see where you're coming from.
Huh? Vita has the best launch titles since forever, and it's really popular
on GAF.

Lol.

That, and imagine if they end up putting those rumored newly patented Retina Displays in their next MBPs. That shit will be hot.

no system will ever be PS2 again. it dominated everything and had great games.

playstation vita is the best handheld on the market. i own a 3DS and the psvita's library is already better. not trolling, that is my honest opinion. i actually like the 3ds a lot with resident evil revelations being the best game (followed closely by mario 3-d and MK7), but beyond those 3 games what does 3DS have? i understand it has DS b/c (and i have quite a few really good DS games) but i'm not seeing a great library of 3ds games.

the only people who say playstation vita has no games are the people who don't actually own one. will psvita be a flop or succeed? who knows. but sony has such a great setup with the machine that i really hope it does succeed. it's basically like having a portable ps3, which is pretty insane when you think about it

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ignis Fatuus said:
I simply don't see a relative level of technical parity between the PS2 and PSV.
PS2 blew everything out of the water when it launched - and held that for just under two years.
Everyone is screaming Vita will be outclassed by phones in 2 years, so sounds about the same to me.

StuBurns said:
iPhone still has all the trademark LCD problems, from ghosting, to viewing angles, to gray blacks/contrast ratio deficiency. Other then being smaller(which can go both ways as an advantage) it just does everything worse.

Once I can get all
most
of my PSP and PS1 games through the system without channeling it through my nonexistent PS3, I'll be picking it up.

They just need to sort a few things out first and then I'm in.

In terms of hardware that comes close to replicating PS2
(dominating sales numbers, industry swell, outstanding library) The DS was more like PS2 than the VITA looks to be right now.

Interested to see what the VITA landscape looks like in 6 months. Picking up 3DS early last year taught me to wait 6 months to a year on new portable hardware launches.

Santar

It's hard to say how the vita will do.
It could fall into the same hole the psp did, since it's basically a psp 2.
Like the first psp, it's a onsole like experiences on the go, though with added touch screen functionality (which I personally am not a fan of).
I'll buy one when a game I want shows up, and so far I haven't seen or heard about a single one.

Or maybe they really don't have any interest in the launch lineup?

if you have no interest in the launch lineup its because you can't (or dont want to) afford paying $250 + memory card for the system. i get that and sony is going to need to lower the price by the fall. but if we are strictly talking about the games on the system then there is no reason to say playstation vita doesn't have an awesome lineup of games to choose from.

if you don't care about the money angle and you still say there is nothing on playstation vita then you don't like videogames

longdi

Banned
vita will be successful if sony continue to fully support it for a year and not be distracted by wii-u and loop. thats my bet. it is a great gaming kit, sony just need to have persistence....and a drop in memory card prices will make things easier to stomach.

It's not oled, but it will still blow anything out of the water right now. It has bigger res, than my giant ass PC monitor.

And I agree, that what little you can see on Iphone now looks the best out of all portable devices.

Resolution is cool if you have hardware to push pixels for it. If ipad 3 really is 2000x1500 then you need desktop gaming pc class GPU to produce decent looking games for it.

theBishop

Banned
For me the breakthrough of Vita is turning PSN into a social network in its own right. There's so many ways to interact with people through Vita, both in games, and in your physical location. It's pretty damn impressive, and when more online games are available, I can definitely see making real friends with other Vita players in my area.

In terms of popularity I have no clue if Vita will match PS2. But based on what Vita actually does, the comparison seems useless.

zoukka

Resolution is cool if you have hardware to push pixels for it. If ipad 3 really is 2000x1500 then you need desktop gaming pc class GPU to produce decent looking games for it.

No you don't. The games are nothing like console games and 2D content will look mindblowing if and when it gets made.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Right now it is the most expensive system on the market to get a basic level of use.

Based on what you listed you like to wait for price drops, which is a-OK. So you can do that, or if you're really itching for getting one below 250 go deal hunting. I got my vita at 188 + 35 for a 16GB card from two different stores with a deal = 223 euros

With the way it's in it should be easy to get a deal anywhere between now and the next month or so. Just gotta put in a little effort

Bioloff

Neo Member
From an industry standpoint, not yet. The device doesn't have that "sold out" appeal yet.

On a personal level, I wanted my PS2 so badly, it was the coolest device ever. I was younger, but I don't want a psVita until it has more software support.

clemenx

Banned

This is correct and this is the biggest hurdle for the Vita. Even when the software comes this will always be a problem. Not to mention the stigma people have about portable pricing. Regardless of the good tech it has, which makes it a good price in a vacuum, is not a good market price.

Top Bottom